Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

From Couch 25k To Where Ever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

annapr wrote: »
    Well done on the weight loss, T. Giving up red meat is a positive for sure.

Hopefully you come out of your slump soon...

Wow you look amazing, well done. Just to play devils advocate though if you've given up red meat and are a bit low in energy, maybe get your iron levels checked. I had mine checked a while back to discover my iron reserves (ferritin levels) were rock bottom :eek: I hadn't really been feeling too bad or very low in energy just not quite 100%. I got a good talking to from my GP, apparently it does not happen over-night, it is a result of a chronic lack of Iron in the diet for 6 months + :rolleyes: There is plenty of iron sources such as leafy greens, beans, eggs etc but Heme Iron (found in red meat) is the most easily absorbed by the body. Anyhow, sorry for butting in. Maybe you know all this already :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

ariana` wrote: »
    Wow you look amazing, well done. Just to play devils advocate though if you've given up red meat and are a bit low in energy, maybe get your iron levels checked. I had mine checked a while back to discover my iron reserves (ferritin levels) were rock bottom :eek: I hadn't really been feeling too bad or very low in energy just not quite 100%. I got a good talking to from my GP, apparently it does not happen over-night, it is a result of a chronic lack of Iron in the diet for 6 months + :rolleyes: There is plenty of iron sources such as leafy greens, beans, eggs etc but Heme Iron (found in red meat) is the most easily absorbed by the body. Anyhow, sorry for butting in. Maybe you know all this already :o

Always happy to listen to advice here. Sounds familiar, I do need to get my levels checked. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Been away from the logs for a while but fup me TM that's some difference in the two photos, fair play to you on the weight loss. Half the man you once were(weight wise).

OOnegative wrote: »
    Been away from the logs for a while but fup me TM that's some difference in the two photos, fair play to you on the weight loss. Half the man you once were(weight wise).
    Cheers .

Out for 5 miles easy tonight . After 7 when I got out so it was a little cooler that my last run . Should have been very easy ie 11.20 plus miles and going out that is what I intended to do. Really need to be more diciplined but it did feel easy enough.

5 miles @10.40

Skipped Sundays run went to the beach with grandkids and got a nice helping of sunburn instead . You'd think I'd have more sense , but no. Sleep has been awkward since , eased off a little today so hopefully I'll get a good kip tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I sometimes get shoulder pain early into a run. It's rare, but tends to be diagonal and a little sharp. It does go away pretty quickly.

I was talking to a vegetarian on holidays a few weeks ago and he said giving up meat was linked to his marathon efforts (years ago). Reckoned it had a positive impact on performance and that some pros today are probably veggie for this reason. Can't comment as I don't follow any pros, or their diets. Plenty more informed commentary here in the earlier replies than anything I can say. Sounds like you're keeping an eye on it all anyway.

Looking forward to hearing how things go for you in Sept in the UK.

• Advertisement

Thanks B I strained the muscles in my shoulder but it's a lot better now thanks.

Got out tonight for a short run just to get moving . Decided to do some cv pace ruñning just to see how I was feeling . Felt better tonight but it was only for a few minutes. Very warm tonight so kept it short .

Did my Pilates Class on Thursday but didnt get out for my 60 Minutes easy, I planned to go Friday my rest day but didn't , time was tight again but I could have gone out late if i was motivated enough .

Wasn't really feeling the love for it this morning either but I know it's important to get out those days too so I stuck on the headphones and set off on my 80 minutes easy 11 min pace. Stuck with that for the first two miles , pace picked up a little from there and so I did another long run quicker than I should have, the last 4 miles were avg 9.40 pace . The effort felt fine and feeling fresh enough after it .

Funny the days your are just not feeling it going out and end up having a good enjoyable run , this was my best run in a few weeks.

Don't read this bit if you're eating, After the run I noticed I had little bubbles on my skin when I pressed on them sweat came out,:eek: rather gross I know. f:eek: Freaked me out so I was straight onto Dr. google who tells me its related to the sunburn I got last week. I have never experienced it before but then again I have never got badly burn since I started running. I plan to go for bloods this week I will mention my bubble issue to the quack anyway just to get good old Doctor googles diagnosis confirmed, not that I doubt it.:D

9 miles in 92 mins @10.15 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Nice LR T, good to finish strong now and again.

You say all the right things G lol

TBH I needed a decent (for me) run to disspell some doubts , a little consistancy now would have me back on track I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

The Muppet wrote: »
    Don't read this bit if you're eating, After the run I noticed I had little bubbles on my skin when I pressed on them sweat came out,:eek: rather gross I know. f:eek: Freaked me out so I was straight onto Dr. google who tells me its related to the sunburn I got last week. I have never experienced it before but then again I have never got badly burn since I started running. I plan to go for bloods this week I will mention my bubble issue to the quack anyway just to get good old Doctor googles diagnosis confirmed, not that I doubt it.:D

I had the exact same happen to me a few weeks ago, I burned myself badly/stupidly when cycling around San Francisco. The bubbles went away when the skin peeled off :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

The Muppet wrote: »
    Did my Pilates Class on Thursday but didnt get out for my 60 Minutes easy, I planned to go Friday my rest day but didn't , time was tight again but I could have gone out late if i was motivated enough .

Wasn't really feeling the love for it this morning either but I know it's important to get out those days too so I stuck on the headphones and set off on my 80 minutes easy 11 min pace. Stuck with that for the first two miles , pace picked up a little from there and so I did another long run quicker than I should have, the last 4 miles were avg 9.40 pace . The effort felt fine and feeling fresh enough after it .

Funny the days your are just not feeling it going out and end up having a good enjoyable run , this was my best run in a few weeks.

9 miles in 92 mins @10.15 pace

Saw this today and thought of you!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4635588/Sunburnt-runner-suffers-gruesome-pus-filled-leg-blisters.html

Jesus that looks sore. Mine were just smallish bumps , noticed them after Tuesdays run first but didn't notice them leaking sweat until I rubbed them today.

Not worried about them at all.

5 .2 miles @10.10 pace early this morning , enjoyed this and feeling a lot better on and after my runs.

Singer wrote: »
    I had the exact same happen to me a few weeks ago, I burned myself badly/stupidly when cycling around San Francisco. The bubbles went away when the skin peeled off :)

AH I knew it couldn't just be me, Thanks.

60 minutes very easy this evening. Warm evening , kept it very easy .

5.5 miles in 60 mins @10.57 pace

60 minutes very easy this evening. Warm evening , kept it very easy .

5.5 miles in 60 mins @10.57 pace

Session day today . 6 x 2 minutes at aerobic power pace ( 7.45 ) for me with 3 minute recovery. Hadn't a great deal of time for warm up and cool down .

Ran these on the avenue at St. Annes. All went to plan , First one a few seconds off pace as I had to slow to turn .

Happy enough with them , took 2 mins recover on some as I felt that was enough. Splits 7.50, 7.43, 7.39, 7. 30 ,7 29, 7.32

Wet and cold today, i forgot how enjoyable running in the rain is. Really enjoyed this one.

6.26 miles @ 9.49 pace

Session Today 4 x 6 minutes @ threshold (8:20) off 2 minutes recovery.

The avenue at St' Annes park is ideal for these. No drama to report :D, all went to plan and felt comfortable . Really happy with this one as it's the best session I've ran since my slump of a few weeks back.

Splits, 8:19, 8:16, 7:57 , 8:02 .

20 minutes recovery today.

I'm onto my plan for the Great North Run in September since last week. It's the dcm graduates half marathon plan which has been on my fridge months now.

I should have started early June but I was nearing the end of the 5 k plan and wanted to finish that .

I started on week 4 and completed all runs successfully.

I need to read the notes on this plan as it has runs every day, Monday has 20 recovery or rest . I felt like a run so off I did 2 easy mins.

A ltitle quicker than my calculated recovery pace but heart rate was a little lower than my calculated recovery zone too so I'm guessing pace was about right .

I'm determined to train at the proper intensity this time . That's the plan anyway

1.92 miles @ 10.53 pace Avg hr 124

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

On the fridge is best, not in it. ;)

60 mins very easy today. Chose an uphill course for this one to add a little interest.

5.4 miles @ 11.04 avg hr 125

8 x 1 hills 3 mins recovery with 1 mile warm up and cool down.

Was in St annes for this one , the hill was a little short but that's where I was.

All went well 7.14, 7.02, 7.03, 6.55, 6,57, 7.04, 6.25, 6.54.

5 easy miles this evening @ 10.33 . Nice run but quite warm.

Pilates class after with some nice stretches.

A little indicisive this morning, couldn't decide whether to do the lsr today and session tomorrow or stick rigidly to the plan and run session today and lsr today. I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference going out the door I decided to stick rigidly to the plan.

The plan today had 15 minutes tempo (8.40 to 8.50) 4 minutes recovery and then 10 minutes threshold (8.15 - 8.30) . headed to the cycle track/path on the howth road for this.

The session went well and I felt good throughout . 6 minute warm up and cool down , possibly a little short .

1.7 miles in 15 minutes @ 8.40
    1.2 miles 10 minutes @ 8.12

I have a couple of niggles at the moment. I felt my right groin twinge on the cool down after Wednesdays hill sprints, i thought nothing of it really at the time but its sill a little tender, I felt it again today on the threshold run, nothing major but it's there. My right Glute is also sore this morning, not sure why but it diidnt bother me on the run. Just niggles nothing major but I like to log stuff like that for future refernce if needed.

3.8 miles running in total today (recovery not included).

I hr 45 easy this morning. On the road before 8 to try avoid the heat but it was still warm.

Was feeling tIred this morning , it took me a few miles to get into it . Battery was dead in my MP3 player so no music could have been a factor. I always listen to music or radio on my easy runs.

Easy pace is from 10.55 up and I stuck to that today , did the conversation test a few times just to be sure, sure where's the harm in talking to youself. . I ran from swords into santry and back , I had 10 minutes to add in santry so I went into ososlo's park for those . Nice in there with a pond and some hills .

Got the full week in this week . Ran 6 days with 2 sessions and a decent long run mostly at prescribed paces.

No reaction from groin or glutes today .

9 weeks out from Newcastle

9.84 miles @10.53 pace avg hr 121 max 138 today the upper end of my easy zone is 138.

30.6 miles for the week

Monday 10th

20 minutes recovery in the local park 1.92 miles @11.10 pace .

Tuesday 11th
    60 Minutes very easy . kept this very easy , a bit fast by calculator but effort felt right .
    5.54 miles @11.07 pace

Wednesday 12th
    5 x 5 minutes Cardio Vascular pace (7.52 to 8.03) with 4 minute recovery.

St Annes park the venue for these this afternoon, It was warm , not too many running. After a short half a mile warm up i felt good to go. Hit my targets comfortably enough. 7.49,7.50,7.51,7.50 and 7.44 happy enough with those. 4 minute walk recovery, felt good to go after 2 but stuck to the plan.

A short cool down and in out of the sun. Great to have the energy to run on days like today.

4.49 miles@10.57 pace. Max hr 151, Average HR for CV splits 135

Thursday

No Pilates today . Instructor on holidays so I just took a rest day and moved my 60 easy run to Friday. Suited me better that way as I was minding one of my grandsons .

Friday
    60 minutes very easy today . Another warm day but there was a nice breeze on some of the route. Just stuck on the headphones and really enjoyed the run , got the odd song in too , you can't beat a bit of Elvis ��

6.34 miles @ 10.45 pace

session day today 3 x 8 minutes threshold with 3 minutes recovery, This is the same session I failed miserably at 6 weeks ago. When I saw this session on the plan earlier this week I was determined to complete the session properly this time.

I ran this along the coast on the howth road same as last time . Last time my calculated threshold pace was 8.29 , i mainained that for the first one but the second an third splits I struggled and only managed 8.50 pace so with that fresh in my mind I was really focused on mainitaining the paces this morning.

I'm using a different pace calcultor the last few weeks and my threshold pace is now 8.14 to 8.23. I always aim for the faster end of the range so 8.14 was my target today.

After a 10 minute warm up I started the first split into a stiff breeze which meant I had to work a little harder and ran the 8 minute split at 8.11 pace , max hr was 150 ,

My second split was easier as I had to turn and the brezee was behind me,i ran it at exactly the same pace as the first 8.11 pace max hr 145 this time.

For the third split I ran some of it with the breeze behind me and then turned to finish it into the breeze, my pace this time was 8.07 ,max hr 146

1 mile cool down back to the car then at 10.45 pace. Really happy with the session today as I felt quite comfortable throughout, I feel I can now officially put my dip in form of a few weeks back out of my mind.

No doubt there will be more dips but for now I feel I am moving forward again which is a relief 7 weeks out from my target race.

5.36 miles @ 10.23 pace

• Advertisement

1.45 easy today. Legs were a liitle heavy , yesterdays session probably a factor . Got out in the afternoon on my usual route

10..38 miles @ 10.38;pace.

Had a nice 2 mile walk this evening just to get moving again and I needed to measure 300 meters in the local park for next wednesdays session.

Decent week for me again 6 days running all session completed successfully.

34 miles for the week

Advertisement