Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From Couch 25k To Where Ever

• 21-08-2015 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

I've been toying with the idea of starting a log here for quite some time now and today's the day. I hope it will help keep me motivated and help gauge progression. if anyone else starting to run can take anything from it that would be great too. We all run for different reasons some for competition some for fun and others for the health benefits.

About me. I'm 51 year old type 2 diabetic. About 2.5 years ago I was obese , had a zero level of fitness and without going into too many details my illness was out of control. I had two Grandchildren then and my desire to see them grow up inspired me to make changes.

In February 2013 I started the Couch 25k (c25k) program. I used to go out early in the morning so that no body would see me struggle to run. I used to look ahead to the schedule for the next week and just laugh and think there's no way I will be able to do that but I did successfully completed the program in april 2013 without missing a run . Eureka I could run slowly, 2.5 k in 30 minutes non stop .

From April to September 2013 I ran a few miles a couple of times a week but I really missed the structure of the plan, In October 2013 I stopped running, I didn't make a conscious decision to stop I just started putting it of until the next day , that became a week and then the next month. I was out for 4 months.

In Febuary 2014 I started to notice that the benefits I had gained from running were starting to reverse , I really didn't want to go back there so I started up again. I found I could only run for 10 minutes at a time so I started on week 4 of the program and completed it again.

When I finished the program I knew I needed a plan to continued to run so I set a target to run 10k by my 50th Birthday I ran 3 or 4 times a week and ran the 10k with a couple of weeks to spare.

I then started the Hal Higdon intermediate half marathon plan and successfully completed that distance in November 2015 in a time of 2 hours 22 mins.

I lost focus again then and ran very little until April 2015. I started back then I have been running every week since. I am running 5 days a week an average of 26 miles a week . One long Run (8 to 14 miles), One Hill sprint session, and a 4 or 5 mile run three times a week.

Up to this week all my runs were solo efforts, I did the paced mile the other night and I really enjoyed the event. So now I feel I am ready to go to the next level which will involve more events, park runs, 10,ks , Half Marathon and hopefully the full Marathon in 2016 , that's the plan and I know I need a plan so I will see how that goes. I will be using this log to track my progress.

Clearlier posted a plan here following the 2014 Dublin City Marathon , I intent to follow that plan over the next few months to see where that takes me and then next year all being well I will follow the Boards Marathon Training plan.

My PBs to date

1 mile 7:22 Chip Timing Aug 2015
    5k 29.14
    10 k 1:04:20
    13.1 Miles 2:22:00

With the exception of the mile all these times are from solo training runs and timed on my Garmin watch.

My Weigh Loss to date is 4.5 stone

My Diabetes is under control

Apologies for the long winded introduction but its been a bit of a roller coaster to date. Constructive criticism and advice will always be taken on board and appreciated.

Oh Re The Username: It seemed as good as any when I signed up to boards many moons ago for the crack on the soccer forum (*), I'm stuck with it now and as the saying goes I am not my username .

*(I don't even watch soccer these days I'd much rather go for a run.)

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Well done on the weight loss, massive achievement and the lifestyle change.
    Good luck with the log.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fair play, you're doing well. Do you have a local parkrun? Ideal for a bit of weekly social, semi competitive or competitive running depending on your mood, not to mention a good place to meet other runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Murph_D wrote: »
    Fair play, you're doing well. Do you have a local parkrun? Ideal for a bit of weekly social, semi competitive or competitive running depending on your mood, not to mention a good place to meet other runners.

Thanks, Im in Swords so Malahide and St. Annes are close plus Donabate is starting up soon. Im definitely going to start parkruns soon.

I bit the bullet this morning and did my first ever Parkrun , my time 26:51. I really enjoyed running with the group it's nice to focus on someone and try hang on.

That's a new A new 5k pb

1 mile 7:22 Chip Timing Aug 2015
    5k 26:51 Parkrun time
    10 k 1:04:20
    13.1 Miles 2:22:00

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Congrats on the how far you've come!!! I done my first parkrun in malahide this morning too, albeit 15mins behind you. Started couch to 5k a while ago so I'll be looking at your log for inspiration seen as you've come so far from there!

• Advertisement

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    Congrats on the how far you've come!!! I done my first parkrun in malahide this morning too, albeit 15mins behind you. Started couch to 5k a while ago so I'll be looking at your log for inspiration seen as you've come so far from there!

Cool.well done on your own achievement . I ran in malahide too . Well done on going to a parkrun so soon I should have gone ages ago but didn't . I'll be a regular from now on I think . Great turn out this morning nearly 300 runners

Just in from an 8 mile slow run in the rain, my favourite running conditions. I suffered little from chaffing due to running in a wet top, Its not nice but lesson learned . This is the first time it has happened to me an I have often ran in similar conditions, I wore a new running top today perhaps that was it. I see Slow Runner mention on the running in the rain thread that he/she was going to wear a compression top today to prevent chaffing because of the rain, I shall be doing likewise from now on.

I've had a most enjoyable week, My mileage was down a little and I didn't do my usual hill sprint session due to my participation in two events , the pace mile at Morton stadium and a park run yesterday. I hadn't ran any events up to this week.

Tuesday 4 miles 3 easy 1 @7.22 min/mile (pace mile chip timing.
    Wednesday 4.6 miles @11.08 min/mile
    Thursday 5 miles @ 10.55 min/mile
    Saturday 3.01 (5k) @8.39Min/Mile (26.52 parkrun timing)
    Sunday 8.01@11.26 min/mile

Total Mileage for the week 24.62

Using the times from my events in the vdot calculator (thanks to dubgal72 for the link) that gives me my proper training paces. I will be trying to stick to those paces in my training plan from
    now on rather than just go out and run at the same pace every run. I will be using a new plan shortly any suggestions for this from those of you who know about such things would be appreciated, I am think of using cleariers plan for the post DCM2014 runners.

Type Pace/Mi Pace/Km 400 200
    Easy 10:52 - 11:30 06:45 - 07:09 -- --
    Marathon 09:43 06:02 -- --
    Threshold 09:06 05:39 02:16 01:08
    Interval 08:23 05:13 02:05 01:03
    Repetition 07:59 04:58 01:59 01:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Well done on your progress so far, will be following this with interest!

I'm off work this week so get to run earlier than usual. I decided to do my hill sprint session this morning . I actually like this session it's tough but i always get a buzz from it.

1 mile warm up
    7 x 15 second Hill sprints (walk back cool down until heart rate drops to 122 between sprints)
    1 x 25 second Hill sprint
    1 mile cool down

Total Milage 2.67 miles

Now I can watch some athletics on the tv.

6.2 mile @9.43 min/mile today . Set out to do 5 easy after 3 miles I was enjoying the run and decided to make a detour I had never run before which took the run to 6.2 miles 10k.

Splits
    Mile 1 warm up 10:40
    Mile 2 10:03
    Miles 3 9:59
    Mile 4 9:47
    Mile 5 9:33
    Mile 6 8:36
    .2 to make 10k 1:34
    60:00:11 is a new pb for 10 k for me . I just love running in the rain .

After my chaffing in my last run I wore a compression top and all was well . I also used one of the mini backpacks instead of my usual phone holder which chafed my arm on my last run . I found the back pac brilliant . I didn't really notice it was on at all and it held my phone , keys, emergency money just in case and my reading glasses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hi there, just came across your log... really enjoyed reading your story and your progress. Fair play to you.

I can highly recommend the Clearlier graduate plan for base building (as a 2014 graduate). Several of us did it... it worked really well as a HM training plan too. The beauty of it is running by time instead of mileage reduces the pressure to hit mileage targets, but you get there anyway. Also, for me it was the first time I did 'speed'/interval sessions and I loved them... they really gave me a boost -- challenging but fun and they bring you on loads.

Best of luck with it anyway, will follow with interest.

Thank you its nice to hear an opinion from someone who has used the plan .

I intend to start the plan next week I will need to move days around on it to fit in with my work schedule . I intend to do the lsrs on a Wednesday evening, hill sprints on a Monday and I would like to do more parkrun .

Did my long slow run tonight 11.33 miles @10.49 pace . Nice cool evening for it . I used a high 5 tablet in my water for the first time .took a sip every mile or so and I think it made a difference, my legs were still tired at the end but I still had plenty of energy left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done on your progress so far. I'm another graduate of clearliers plan and I found it great. Make sure and read the posts he put in the graduate thread too. I kind of miss my short hill repeats now! Are you monitoring your heart rate? I found it helpful for figuring out what speed I should be going at.
    Best of luck!

Hi thanks for the advice . I do use heart rate monitor on my runs . My heartrate was something I really needed to keep an eye on when I stated out given the low level of fitness I had .

I did read most of that thread at the time it was active. I have the plan and some notes from posts that were made at the time but I will go over it again in the next few days .

I have being doing a hill sprints session for a few months now I took that from cleariers plan, they are tough but I enjoy them . I'm really looking foward to starting the plan now that I feel I have a decent base to build on.

I'm not feeling the best today nausia and a sick stomach so I set out to do the obligatory 10 minutes to see how that went. It wasn't good to be honest but I decided to stick at it and managed an easy 5 miles . I felt a little better nearing the end but still not good.

I was planning on a parkrun in the morning but I will give it a miss if I'm still feeling the same .

5 miles @ 11.15 pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Your one to watch Muppet. Congrats on all your hard work so far. You have come so far. :D

Thank you green machine but don't be expecting anything spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The Muppet wrote: »
    Thank you green machine but don't be expecting anything spectacular.

Just mean you have put in some hard work to make the improvement you have. You came from a somewhat weak base, where 2.5km in 30 minute must have felt like an amazing feat. Now you have Ran 5km in 26 minute. You are continue to improve which is fantastic. Your heart and lungs I am sure are grateful but maybe not in the beginning. :D:D:D

Just mean you have put in some hard work to make the improvement you have. You came from a somewhat weak base, where 2.5km in 30 minute must have felt like an amazing feat. Now you have Ran 5km in 26 minute. You are continue to improve which is fantastic. Your heart and lungs I am sure are grateful but maybe not in the beginning. :D:D:D

Hard work that's for sure but also very enjoyable . Having this forum helps a lot with tips on the proper way to do it. I have come a long way .I was disappointed with today's run but I should remember I still did a 5 mile run its funny how expectations can change as we improve.

• Advertisement

Hill sprint session this evening .

1 mile warm up
    7 X 15 second hill sprint
    1 X 25 second hill sprint
    1 mile cool down

It went really well, there was plenty of life in my old legs I was happy with that as I still was not feeling 100% yesterday .

28 miles in total this week.

New plan for the week ahead I'm really looking forward to it.

Hill sprint session this evening .

1 mile warm up
    7 X 15 second hill sprint
    1 X 25 second hill sprint
    1 mile cool down

It went really well, there was plenty of life in my old legs I was happy with that as I still was not feeling 100% yesterday .

28 miles in total this week.

New plan for the week ahead I'm really looking forward to it.

I am starting the new plan this week, I got a little ahead of myself and did the hill sprint session yesterday so I will do yesterdays easy 45 mins today and then take it from there and see how it goes.

Week 1
    Sunday: 45mins easy
    Monday: warm up, drills then 6 short hill sprints (6-8 seconds full recovery) and warm down.
    Tuesday: 45mins easy
    Wednesday: 90 mins easy
    Thursday: rest/recovery run/easy XT
    Friday: 5*2mins@5k effort w 3 mins recovery
    Saturday: 45mins easy

Easy 45 minute run tonight @ 11.20 possibly too easy but I was enjoying the easy pace . I think it's the first time I've ran to time instead of distance since I finished the couch to 5 k .

My flipbelt arrived today , i found it very handy for carrying phone keys etc and there is no feeling of wearing something .

Another 45 Minutes Easy Tonight @ 11.10 pace . Nothing to report apart from getting drenched .

My plan called for 90 minutes easy. The route I took made it a 100 minute run @ 11 min pace .

Part of my run was on my favourite running location which is along the coast road from fairview to Sutton cross . There's always a nice cooling breeze and the promenade and path along the cycle track is lovely and smooth.

My legs were a little tired today but overall I felt really good on the run . I think I covered just over 9 miles

The next run on the plan us an interval session I have not done too many of these to date just the ones in hal higDon intermediate half plan over a year ago.

This should be on Friday after a rest day tomorrow . I m off down the country on Friday so Im thinking of doing it tomorrow and taking Friday as my rest day . I'll see how the legs feel tomorrow evening I'm really looking forward to doing a " pace" session .

My plan called for 90 minutes easy. The route I took made it a 100 minute run @ 11 min pace .

Part of my run was on my favourite running location which is along the coast road from fairview to Sutton cross . There's always a nice cooling breeze and the promenade and path along the cycle track is lovely and smooth.

My legs were a little tired today but overall I felt really good on the run . I think I covered just over 9 miles

The next run on the plan us an interval session I have not done too many of these to date just the ones in hal higDon intermediate half plan over a year ago.

This should be on Friday after a rest day tomorrow . I m off down the country on Friday so Im thinking of doing it tomorrow and taking Friday as my rest day . I'll see how the legs feel tomorrow evening I'm really looking forward to doing a " pace" session .

sssh, don't tell people about the cooling breeze, we prefer to call it a steady gale :) another member of the seafront running 'club', I see!

Oh for sure. I have been running along there for the last year it's so refreshing once you can dodge the cyclists , those guys really shift along there.

Tomorrow's interval session completed tonight as I'm away tomorrow night .

5 X 2 minutes @ 5k pace with 3 min easy.

I'm not really sure at the exact pace as I was cocentrating on the run not the watch, I just ran hard but I think I exceeded 5k pace ( 8.40 ) I was in the 7 40 mins at times . I'm not used to running g by the watch or doing intervals I guess I will get used to it.

Is there much protein in cream cake as I just noticed a slice in the fridge and I'm sorely tempted .

• Advertisement

Tomorrow's interval session completed tonight as I'm away tomorrow night .

5 X 2 minutes @ 5k pace with 3 min easy.

I'm not really sure at the exact pace as I was cocentrating on the run not the watch, I just ran hard but I think I exceeded 5k pace ( 8.40 ) I was in the 7 40 mins at times . I'm not used to running g by the watch or doing intervals I guess I will get used to it.

Is there much protein in cream cake as I just noticed a slice in the fridge and I'm sorely tempted .

perfect recovery food!

Mmñ.Just looking at the data from tonight session on strava , apparantly I hit 6.54 min milepace for one of the 400 meter intervals . This is too fast as my 5k pace is 8 40.

Could someone be so kind to advise me on the best way to record intervals please . I have a garmin fr15 and used the run walk function which which beeped for each section but it just recorded the whole session easy and pace running as a single run . Should I turn off auto lap and manually press the lap button on each easy and pace section .

I also have strava on my phone if there's an easier way to do it on that.

Btw I resisted the temptation of the cake . Tough call though.

What a buautiful evening g for a run here in North Dublin sun shining and a lovely breeze as well. I could have ran all evening but the plan said 45 Minutes Easy and that what I did 45 Minutes @ 10.44 pace

Splits
    1 11.09
    2 10.32
    3 10.35
    4 10.39
    5 2.09

Having been driving most of yesterday and today it felt great to get out and run this evening .It was ond of those where you just can't help smiling the whole way through. That's week one of my new plan completed.

Total milage for the week 27 miles including one hill sprint session and one interval session@ 5k pace.

Week 2 starts tomorrow with a 45 min easy i am looking forward to it all ready.

Today's easy 45 Minutes completed @10:44 pace

1 10.49
    2 10.46
    3 10.45
    4 10.32
    5 2.11

During last night's run I felt a little twinge in my hip/groin area . I didn't much pass on it as i often get little niggles during runs but it was a little sore again this morning .For todays run I took it nice and easy . I drove to Sutton to run beside the cycle track from there to Raiheny and back . There are no hills and its tarmac so smooth under foot . I felt fine, no pain so I will see how it feels for tomorrows hill sprints hopefully all will be well.

Week 2
    Day|Activity|Notes
    Sunday| 45 Minutes| Completed
    Monday| 6 x 30 seconds Hill Sprint| Completed
    Tuesday|45 Minutes Easy|
    Wednesday|90 Minutes Easy|
    Thursday|Rest or recovery run|
    Friday| 20 Minutes Easy , 20 Mintes Tempo, 20 easy| tempo@9.12 Pace
    Sauturday| 45 Mintes easy|

Today was hill sprint day

6 x30 second sprints with 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down. These really took it out of me today but I did complete them.

No niggles today .

I have always had issue with sweat in my eyes during runs and tried headbands, hats etc to help but I never felt comfortable with them . I read on the marathon thread that vaseline on the eyebrows would help, I tried it today and it worked a treat no stinging eyes for me from now on.

Life getting in the way of my running today so I had to squeeze today's run into my lunch break.

45 Minutes Easy @10.38 pace

I can't say I found it all that easy today . I don't know if it was the warm weather or the effects of yesterday's hill sprint session or a combination of both but my legs felt heavier than usual and boy was I glad of the vaseline on the eyebrows.

It's done now , LSR tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement

Tonights 90 minute run done and dusted @ 11.03 pace

1 11.28
    2 11.20
    3 11.26
    4 11.03
    5 10.15
    6 9.46
    7 11.40
    8 11.15
    9 7.19

I felt a little tired starting out so I intended to keep it around 11 minute pace . During mile 5 a group of runners came out of St Anne's park about 100 yards ahead om me and I decided to try catch them hence the increase in pace mile 5 and 6 . I turned off to head back to base at lsr pace and they went on to towards howth. I enjoyed the chase it added a little variety to my lsr.

Rest day tomorrow and the 60 minutes with 20 tempo on Friday which could be awkward as I'm off to Edinburgh on Friday morning for a few days . I will bring the running gear with me hopefully I will find the time and a place to get my runs in .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hey The Muppet, delighted to see you start a log! I remember you from posting on the Couch to 5k thread and wondered how you were getting on.

Great progress and consistency to-date and I love how you've approached things slowly and methodically. That'll stand to you in the long-run and well done on keeping the easy runs nice and easy. Keep it up! Great work on the recent 5k! You've a great attitude and seem very committed to your plan so look forward to watching the pb's flow in over the coming months.

You were asking a question about recording laps on your watch a few posts back. I just press lap manually to record the laps and it works out fine. I don't bother setting up workouts beforehand but plenty of people do so maybe someone else can help you out with that.

Any upcoming targets/races etc in the near future?

Best of luck and keep it up!

Thank you ososlo . All the advice here is to take it nice and slow you guys have been there and know whats best so that's the thing to do.

Thanks for the advice re laps I will do that . To date I have really just used the watch to record my runs and keep an eye on my heart rate. With tempo runs etc in my new plan I need to get to grips with using it to pace myself .

Races I don't have any planned at the moment I did one parkrun two weeks ago but wss away last weekend and this . I will definitely do more as I really enjoyed it just not sure when.

It's good you see you back. Your log is one of the best here. novices like myself can learn so much and be inspired by your own progression . I definitely have learned things and been inspired by it.

^^^^
    WAY too kind of you but thanks :)

Even with the tempo I wouldn't get too hung up with the watch really. No harm to use it to hone in on the pace/effort, but once you get a feel for it you'll probably find you run better by not having to check the watch every 5 seconds.

A good mantra for tempo I find is 'fast and relaxed' and I find it's better to ease into the required pace/effort progressively over the first half mile or so and not launch into it straight away.

Good luck!

I know I shouldn't have really but I ended up doing my tempo run today, a scheduled rest day.

The reason I did it today is that I am flying out to edinburgh at an ungodly hour in the morning so I was afraid I'd be too tired or something else might get in the way of a what was to be my first tempo run.

Having taken the afternoon off to pack etc I headed out for the run instead. I felt quite good today having had a good rolling session on my legs last night after my lsr. My better half goes at them with a roller a couple of times a week to keep me moving. I think she secretly enjoys inflicting pain on me.

I headed into coolock to start my run from there .my plan was 20 minutes warm up down to the coast road . 20 minutes tempo on the flat as far as the Raheny turn off and then 20 minutes easy back to my car.

My tempo pace is 9.12 a mile . Despite knowing I could run at that pace I was a little apprehensive about the run. That's par for the course with me . Splits were

1 11.22
    2 10.32
    3 9.14
    4 8.54
    5 12.08
    6 8.00

5.72 miles in total in 60 minutes.

Mile 5 12.08 was uphill into Raheny .I had just finished the tempo part so I took it really Easy

I really enjoyed the run and once I got the pace right I felt I was running within myself I was delighted with that as I expected to struggle . I looked at my watch at one point and I was down under 7 minute mile pace . I slowed down to my 9.12 pace and it just felt like an easy run .

At 60 minutes I was still 1 5 miles from where I'd parked so I did that in cool down run/walk mode which took my distance today to just over 7 miles

I know 9.12 pace would an easy run for many here but being able to comfortably at that pace is a huge progression for me so I'm thrilled about that.

I will take a rest day tomorrow now and the it's 45 mins easy on Saturday and Sunday. I don't mind if I end up having to miss one of those now, I will see how things work out . I would like to do a parkrun in Edinburgh but I'm not sure if I will get to do that . Again I will see if I can sneak away for an hour or two on Saturday morning I've had a look at the park run route and it looks like a nice run they get hugh numbers too.

• Advertisement

Well done on the tempo, feels great to vary it like that doesn't it? Edinburgh has some lovely parks for running -- the Meadows (not too big and flat) and Holyrood parks (big and wild and hilly) are both near the city centre. My OH did the parkrun out on the coast and said it was great but about 6 miles from the city centre. Another one has started since then but I don't know about that.

With regard to programming the watch, not sure what garmin you have, but on mine you can program it through Garmin Connect on the computer, there's a menu option called 'workouts' that allows you to program in a specific interval session... and you can put in paces if you like. The upside is the watch will beep when you're finished an interval or a recovery phase... the downside if you program a pace in is that it will beep like mad until you are in the right zone! If I'm putting paces in I try to put a big enough range to stop it torturing me!

Thanks annapr for the info re parkrun ill be depending on public transport so I will play that by ear so. Might do a sneaky recce tomorrow in the guise of sight seeing of course.

I just have the fr15 so I don't think I can program it for intervals but thanks for the info maybe it's time for an upgrade .

And yes today's run felt great for sure .

Good morning from Edinburgh . I go out this morning for my scheduled 45 minutes easy. Nothing to declare from it except I was feeling a little under the weather so I took it really easy @11.15 pace.

Strangly I didn't meet any other runners perhaps they were all at the parkrun . I didn't go to that myself as it was a bit of a trek on public transport and I was only up to an easy run anyway.

I got a present of Danny Dreyer.'s chi running book from one of my daughters.I had seen chi running mentioned in some of the logs here , pacing mule whose log i read does if I think . I, m only on chapter one but what I've read do far is very interesting.

Anyway thats week 2 of my plan completed.

31 miles running including a hill sprint session , a tempo run , a lsr and three easy 45 mins. Week 3 starts tomorrow with another 45 mins easy .

Now off out to celebrate my 51st birthday with my better half .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done on completing week 2. And a very happy birthday !

45 minutes easy tonight . I felt really good when I got going so I ran it on the fast side of my easy@ an average 10.22 pace 4.35 miles hr 142bpm

Splits

1 10.37
    2 10.50
    3 10.19
    4 9.21
    5 4.07

I will be home for tomorrow nights hill sprint session .

I woke up yesterday morning with a sore throat and the sniffles. By the time I got home yesterday evening I felt wrecked so I cancelled my planned run and got an early night.

I still have the sore throat but I felt ok apart from that so I got out to do my hill sprint session this evening.

1 mile warm up
    7 X 8 second hill sprints
    1 mile cool down

I felt quite good during the run but I am certainly not 100% so I will see how I'm feeling for the rest of this week regarding my scheduled runs.

Heres my week 3 schedule , I ve all ready missed one day through tiredness/illness a 45 min easy.

I had a broken nights sleep last night , I was up in the middle of the night for honey and lemon drink to easy my sore throat. As things stand I intend to do my 90 mins lsr tonight very slowly, rest tomorrow and hopefully I will be a good bit better by friday for my tempo session that's the plan anyway .

I hate missing runs in all the plans I've ran (2 couch 25ks and Hal Higdons intermediate half) I think this is the first week I ve missed a run .

Week 3
    Day|Activity|Notes
    Sunday| 45 Minutes| Completed
    Monday| Ill | Moved to Tuesday
    Tuesday|7 x 8 seconds Hill Sprint| 1 mile warm up and cool down
    Wednesday|90 Minutes Easy|
    Thursday|Rest or recovery run|
    Friday| 5*3mins@5k effort w 3 mins recovery| @8.39 5 kPace
    Saturday| 45 Minutes easy|

Another run missed last night, I just was not feeling up to it with this bug. I',m not the best today either so I will take it one day at a time and get back at it as soon as I'm feeling up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Another run missed last night, I just was not feeling up to it with this bug. I',m not the best today either so I will take it one day at a time and get back at it as soon as I'm feeling up to it.

Don't worry about missing a few runs. You're right to wait until you're feeling better again and in the greater scheme of things a few days off won't make much of a difference in your fitness. Hope you feel better shortly.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Don't worry about missing a few runs. You're right to wait until you're feeling better again and in the greater scheme of things a few days off won't make much of a difference in your fitness. Hope you feel better shortly.

+100! It takes much more strength of character and is WAY more beneficial to not run than run, when you're feeling unwell. A minor illness could develop and have you floored for a few weeks if you don't nip it in the bud.
    Get better soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement