Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameweek 3 Captain

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

FourFourFM wrote: »
    All of you still confident in Wazza? :D

I don't own him but I was convinced he would score this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I captained Rooney and, despite him being out of form, I still think it was a good decision. He's at home to Newcastle and a player of his quality doesn't go bad overnight. Aguero is clearly the better player but I'd captain Rooney at home to Newcastle over Aguero at Goodison every day of the week. The odds with the books for any time scorer reflected both players were about on a par.

Granted, it looks like a horrible decision right now. C'est la vie. It's not like I had picked Deeney has my 5.5 striker over Wilson....! :'(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

Thats it now, Captancey is being stuck on Aguero from now on unless he gets injured

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

TheDazzler wrote: »
    You were just showing that I was wrong about a minor point that doesn't change the substance of the argument?
    Even though you haven't shown I was incorrect (although I very well might be)?
    You've linked to the game at the City of Manchester Stadium. And we're talking about games at Goodison.
    So I'm just pointing out to you, that you are incorrect in your belief that you have shown me to be incorrect. Nothing else :)

But if you wish, do spend another minute on Google and find out the lineups from the Goodison game in 2008.
    I bet only 3 players from that game will likely be playing this weekend :)

I'm also going Aguero captain btw.

No, I was correct. I have also shown you to be incorrect. The same 3 players played both games that season, I just linked the incorrect match.

Your assertion was that no players from either team would have played in those 07/08 games. Both goalkeepers did. Very important players when it comes to picking your captain because you are usually hoping they will score.

There's no point trying to shift the focus from your own inaccuracy by belittling that I took sixty seconds to Google the facts of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Wasn't their a guy going to captain Kolorov a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

What a week for captains. Rooney, Kun and I'm sure a few like myself put faith in Mahrez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Right in the 1st few weeks i always go for strange captains

This week im going to go for kolarov as captain

He was awful close to a few assists v Chelsea so heres hoping he gets clean sheet , assist and a cracking free kick:D:D

BOOM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

For all of us who captained Aguero

7lKs84m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TheDazzler

Lemlin wrote: »
    I have also shown you to be incorrect.
    No, you didn't.
    The same 3 players played both games that season, I just linked the incorrect match.
    That's right, you did. Therefore you didn't show me to be incorrect.
    To show I was incorrect, you would need to link the CORRECT match. Otherwise you're NOT showing it. You're just saying it. Over and over again.
    If you're going to be a pedant, you need to up your game.

Your assertion was that no players from either team would have played in those 07/08 games. Both goalkeepers did.
    Yes. The point that I have already conceded in both of my last two posts on this issue.
    This is from my last post; "I bet only 3 players from that game will likely be playing this weekend :)"
    And this is from the post previous to that;
    "Anyway probably the same 3 played in that one too."
    So, I've already accepted it. Twice. Do you want me to make it any clearer?
    Having accepted the error, I have gone on to make further points why the stats are of little use. Do you wish to address those?

Very important players when it comes to picking your captain because you are usually hoping they will score.
    The 2 goalkeepers and Jags represent 3 players from a starting 22 players. From a match 7 years ago. 3 players from 22.
    In a period when Everton were still a stronger side than Man City. Which is clearly no longer the case.
    So to return to the actual argument, the stats that Everton had the upper hand historically over City in the 7 years is irrelevant.
    We are comparing apples and oranges.
    This is evidenced by the bookmakers odds, which made City odds on favs and Everton 4/1 underdogs.
    This is the substance of my argument. These stats are outdated and of little use.

There's no point trying to shift the focus from your own inaccuracy by belittling that I took sixty seconds to Google the facts of the matter.

The reason I 'belittled' your 60 second google is firstly because you googled the wrong result but primarily because you are spending time arguing minor points that don't address the real issue. And you are doing it repeatedly, even though those points have been conceded.
    So the next time we engage, I would ask that you actually debate substantive issues, rather than this low level , 'lads down the pub' type of petty point scoring.
    This forum will be the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Nice to nail the captain choice by going Sanchez over Aguero ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Assuming that everyone followed through on the preference stated in the poll, only 20 out of 248* had a captain score anything other than appearance or CS points. Goes to show how difficult it has been to pick a captain so far

* I've excluded the 'Others' as I wasn't digging through the thread to see who they voted for :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Benimar wrote: »
    Assuming that everyone followed through on the preference stated in the poll, only 20 out of 248* had a captain score anything other than appearance or CS points. Goes to show how difficult it has been to pick a captain so far

* I've excluded the 'Others' as I wasn't digging through the thread to see who they voted for :pac:

Ziegler captained Sakho. I thought it was a bit nuts at the time, but turned out to be a good pick

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

depay turned out an ok pick after all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

TheDazzler wrote: »
    No, you didn't.

That's right, you did. Therefore you didn't show me to be incorrect.
    To show I was incorrect, you would need to link the CORRECT match. Otherwise you're NOT showing it. You're just saying it. Over and over again.
    If you're going to be a pedant, you need to up your game.

Yes. The point that I have already conceded in both of my last two posts on this issue.
    This is from my last post; "I bet only 3 players from that game will likely be playing this weekend :)"
    And this is from the post previous to that;
    "Anyway probably the same 3 played in that one too."
    So, I've already accepted it. Twice. Do you want me to make it any clearer?
    Having accepted the error, I have gone on to make further points why the stats are of little use. Do you wish to address those?

The 2 goalkeepers and Jags represent 3 players from a starting 22 players. From a match 7 years ago. 3 players from 22.
    In a period when Everton were still a stronger side than Man City. Which is clearly no longer the case.
    So to return to the actual argument, the stats that Everton had the upper hand historically over City in the 7 years is irrelevant.
    We are comparing apples and oranges.
    This is evidenced by the bookmakers odds, which made City odds on favs and Everton 4/1 underdogs.
    This is the substance of my argument. These stats are outdated and of little use.

The reason I 'belittled' your 60 second google is firstly because you googled the wrong result but primarily because you are spending time arguing minor points that don't address the real issue. And you are doing it repeatedly, even though those points have been conceded.
    So the next time we engage, I would ask that you actually debate substantive issues, rather than this low level , 'lads down the pub' type of petty point scoring.
    This forum will be the better for it.

A tad aggressive once more IMO.

Whether I linked the correct match or not, I have shown you were incorrect in your assertion that no players from either team would have played in the 2008 match.

Yes, you have now accepted that you were incorrect but still attempt to nitpick that I have pointed out same. Why not just accept it and move on?

Tim Howard played in 2008 and he is a key player when picking captaincy because if picking a City player his performances against City have to come into account as you want your player to score against Howard.

Re historical stats and captaincy, we already debated this issue last week and I gave my opinion on it so don't see the need to retread the same argument again like you wish to. That's why I haven't bothered with your points.

Here's the thread again if you want for reference:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057474404/

We're not going to reinvent the wheel here going over the same points as last week. I've given my thoughts on the subject, you've given yours. I don't see why you wish to revisit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Ziegler captained Sakho. I thought it was a bit nuts at the time, but turned out to be a good pick

My first non-captain blank of the season :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Gameweek over. Locking thread.

Lemlin/Dazzler, silly argument. Don't let it spill onto other threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement