Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameweek 3 Captain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

be interesting to keep tabs on FSA captain polls vs FFS ones over the course of the season, see where's doing better

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

United are absolutely shít, but if I take a -4 for Rooney to Aguero chances are he'll get two points

I'm doing you all a favour

Rooney captain

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

United are absolutely shít, but if I take a -4 for Rooney to Aguero chances are he'll get two points

I'm doing you all a favour

Rooney captain

Rooney will score this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I've said that the past 3 games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

A toss up between Aguero, Gomis or Ayew for me.

My head is telling me to captain Aguero like everyone else but City's poor record in Goodison combined with everyone captaining him means there's a great chance of pulling ahead if he blanks.

Gomis and Ayew two form players playing the team with the worst defence in the league (imo) Sunderland makes me really tempted to take the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Going with Depay (c) as I feel he is going to run rings around the Newcastle defenders and will be buoyed by his performance against Brugge.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,538 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A toss up between Aguero, Gomis or Ayew for me.

My head is telling me to captain Aguero like everyone else but City's poor record in Goodison combined with everyone captaining him means there's a great chance of pulling ahead if he blanks.

Gomis and Ayew two form players playing the team with the worst defence in the league (imo) Sunderland makes me really tempted to take the risk.
    So you talk about City not having great form against Everton but just dismiss the fact that Swansea drew 0-0 at Sunderland last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I have Aguero, Rooney and Memphis. I'm seriously considering captaining Memphis. He was excellent on Tuesday, he looks so much more comfortable on the left. He was very unlucky not to score against Villa the previous week. Newcastle are also missing Janmaat at right back.

I'm just not sure I have the cajones to actually do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I honestly have a sneaky feeling chelsea and more importantly hazard will show up this gameweek.

Armband currently on hazard, kun is vice, but this could change. For now I'm listening to my gut feeling with hazard, everton is a tricky ground for city, and just having kun alone is enough of a differential for my money leagues.

v3ttel wrote: »
    I have Aguero, Rooney and Memphis. I'm seriously considering captaining Memphis. He was excellent on Tuesday, he looks so much more comfortable on the left. He was very unlucky not to score against Villa the previous week. Newcastle are also missing Janmaat at right back.

I'm just not sure I have the cajones to actually do it.

It's not that big a leap to captain either rooney or Depay thos week. I think people are getting over excited about aguero. That's coming from someone who always has aguero in his team once he is fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

It's not that big a leap to captain either rooney or Depay thos week. I think people are getting over excited about aguero. That's coming from someone who always has aguero in his team once he is fit.

Me too. Even though I brought Aguero in, I don't think he should be so far ahead in the Captain polls.

The problem is that United haven't looked good going forward (Memphis' performance against Brugges aside, and the one unbelievable counter attack with Shaw, Rooney and Memphis).

Plus, I have a phobia of captaining someone in the early quick off unless it's a no brainer (ie: Aguero at home to a poor defense). If Memphis does nothing, then I can pretty much write off the rest of the week.

I'm worried that with Memphis and Rooney and one of them as Captain, I'm heavily invested in an attack that hasn't looked particularly threatening. Having wasted two attacking and a captaincy, it becomes even more annoying because I'm a United fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

True but there's an equally great chance of falling behind if he does.

I do agree about Gomis though...

--

Re Everton-City.

2011/12: 2-1 (Yaya Touré)
    2012/13: 1-0
    2013/14: 2-3 (Aguero, Dzeko x2)
    2014/15: 1-1 (Fernandinho)

Hopefully the cycle continues and City gets a few goals with Aguero heavily involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

eagle eye wrote: »
    So you talk about City not having great form against Everton but just dismiss the fact that Swansea drew 0-0 at Sunderland last year?

Everton have played City in Goodison 8 times in the Premier League since 2008.
    Everton have won 5, City have won 2, and they have drawn 1 game.

That shows a pattern, which I think can be taken to have more weight than a one off result last year.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Me too. Even though I brought Aguero in, I don't think he should be so far ahead in the Captain polls.

The problem is that United haven't looked good going forward (Memphis' performance against Brugges aside, and the one unbelievable counter attack with Shaw, Rooney and Memphis).

Plus, I have a phobia of captaining someone in the early quick off unless it's a no brainer (ie: Aguero at home to a poor defense). If Memphis does nothing, then I can pretty much write off the rest of the week.

I'm worried that with Memphis and Rooney and one of them as Captain, I'm heavily invested in an attack that hasn't looked particularly threatening. Having wasted two attacking and a captaincy, it becomes even more annoying because I'm a United fan.

I can see your dilemma there as its a long weekend if you go all in In the first game and it fails. You really couldnt pick a better fixture for utd to have this weekend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Haven't got Aguero so my dilemma is Rooney or Kane.

I have it on Rooney at the moment but I'm tempted by Kane as I think there could be goals in that Spurs/Leicester game.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Rooney. Underwhelmed looking at the C above his name but.... eh... he's due?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TheDazzler

Everton have played City in Goodison 8 times in the Premier League since 2008.
    Everton have won 5, City have won 2, and they have drawn 1 game.

That shows a pattern, which I think can be taken to have more weight than a one off result last year.

I spoke at some length about this last week in the captains thread.
    These stats mean virtually nothing.
    2008? I'd be pretty confident that neither team will have a single player that played in that game playing this weekend. Also 2 different managers.
    Man City weren't even a top 4 side until 2011.
    You're comparing apples and oranges.
    Of far more relevance would be Everton and Manchester Citys form coming into the game.
    And yet you make no mention of their respective form, seemingly preferring results from nearly a decade ago.
    You can't rate a result from 7 years ago, in which none of the current players played, over games that they both played 1 week ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭munster87

Have Aguero, Hazard, Sanchez and Memphis but going for Sakho as captain this week. Could prove madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

munster87 wrote: »
    Have Aguero, Hazard, Sanchez and Memphis but going for Sakho as captain this week. Could prove madness

I think it's madness to have aguero and not captain him, but early in the season is the best time to have a punt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

WC team selected after a pathetic 71 points over 2 gw's

McCarthy (Schwarzer)
    Gomez Richards Schlupp (Cathcart, Targett)
    Sanchez Depay (C) Toure Coutinho Montero
    Aguero (V) Lukaku (Deeney)

c'mon boys I need some results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Gomis or Kun....undecided.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

TheDazzler wrote: »
    I spoke at some length about this last week in the captains thread.
    These stats mean virtually nothing.
    2008? I'd be pretty confident that neither team will have a single player that played in that game playing this weekend. Also 2 different managers.
    Man City weren't even a top 4 side until 2011.
    You're comparing apples and oranges.
    Of far more relevance would be Everton and Manchester Citys form coming into the game.
    And yet you make no mention of their respective form, seemingly preferring results from nearly a decade ago.
    You can't rate a result from 7 years ago, in which none of the current players played, over games that they both played 1 week ago!

2007/2008 game: Joe Hart, Tim Howard and Phil Jagielka all played.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7248394.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Aguero (C) Hazard (VC). How boring is that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Screw it I'm going for depay. A bit mad but hell why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If in doubt, Aguero.

Lemlin wrote: »
    2007/2008 game: Joe Hart, Tim Howard and Phil Jagielka all played.

You looked that up? Haha, wrong match though. Eve vs MC, not MC vs Eve.
    Anyway probably the same 3 played in that one too.
    Okay, 3 from 22, possibly 28 players with subs. The point clearly stands. These are completely different teams. Everton were actually the stronger side for a couple of those years. That is no longer the case. The data is out of date.
    I'm sorry to keep beating this drum but last weeks game for any side is always going to be a better guide to their chances this weekend than 10 years of head to head data.

The bookies, whose entire existence is based on their judgement of these things, clearly don't think Everton have a big advantage.
    oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/everton-v-man-city/winner (you'll need to add the www. there)
    If you believe Everton have a 'historical advantage', then you need to take the 4/1 on offer on an Everton win.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

You looked that up? Haha, wrong match though. Eve vs MC, not MC vs Eve.
    Anyway probably the same 3 played in that one too.
    Okay, 3 from 22, possibly 28 players with subs. The point clearly stands. These are completely different teams. Everton were actually the stronger side for a couple of those years. That is no longer the case. The data is out of date.
    I'm sorry to keep beating this drum but last weeks game for any side is always going to be a better guide to their chances this weekend than 10 years of head to head data.

The bookies, whose entire existence is based on their judgement of these things, clearly don't think Everton have a big advantage.
    oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/everton-v-man-city/winner (you'll need to add the www. there)
    If you believe Everton have a 'historical advantage', then you need to take the 4/1 on offer on an Everton win.

I was just showing you were incorrect about 0 players from the '07/08 games playing. Nothing else.

Google means you can look up most things in about less than a minute. Not really much effort involved.

I'm going with Aguero captain because he's one of the best players in the world and will probably be my auto captain now.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I was just showing you were incorrect about 0 players from the '07/08 games playing. Nothing else.

Google means you can look up most things in about less than a minute. Not really much effort involved.

I'm going with Aguero captain because he's one of the best players in the world and will probably be my auto captain now.

You were just showing that I was wrong about a minor point that doesn't change the substance of the argument?
    Even though you haven't shown I was incorrect (although I very well might be)?
    You've linked to the game at the City of Manchester Stadium. And we're talking about games at Goodison.
    So I'm just pointing out to you, that you are incorrect in your belief that you have shown me to be incorrect. Nothing else :)

But if you wish, do spend another minute on Google and find out the lineups from the Goodison game in 2008.
    I bet only 3 players from that game will likely be playing this weekend :)

I'm also going Aguero captain btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

All of you still confident in Wazza? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

You were just showing that I was wrong about a minor point that doesn't change the substance of the argument?
    Even though you haven't shown I was incorrect (although I very well might be)?
    You've linked to the game at the City of Manchester Stadium. And we're talking about games at Goodison.
    So I'm just pointing out to you, that you are incorrect in your belief that you have shown me to be incorrect. Nothing else :)

But if you wish, do spend another minute on Google and find out the lineups from the Goodison game in 2008.
    I bet only 3 players from that game will likely be playing this weekend :)

I'm also going Aguero captain btw.

Jagielka hart Howard, Baines if he ain't injured.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement