Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Transform wrote: »
    no doubt about it but i just personally couldnt give a toss about someones deadlift as for most its a glory lift and doesnt display a more complete athletic body. there's a point on deadlifts where strong is strong enough, double body weight is about right but he could be prepping for a deadlift meet so who knows

Rare I disagree with you, but I really disagree here. The deadlift is the purest of all the lifts to me. You can cheat a squat high, not pause on the bench that's without adding equipment like suits. But the deadlift can't really be cheated. The weight is locked out or not.

A caveat to this is that I seen some dire form on deadlifts.

Edit: this excludes the Oly lifts. The Oly lifts are a class apart. The Clean&Jerk is a personal favourite. Not that I can do it well.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Brian? wrote: »
    Rare I disagree with you, but I really disagree here. The deadlift is the purest of all the lifts to me. You can cheat a squat high, not pause on the bench that's without adding equipment like suits. But the deadlift can't really be cheated. The weight is locked out or not.

A caveat to this is that I seen some dire form on deadlifts.

Edit: this excludes the Oly lifts. The Oly lifts are a class apart. The Clean&Jerk is a personal favourite. Not that I can do it well.

I get your sentiment but hitching is an easy enough way to cheat a deadlift no? Just like squatting high or thumping your sternum on bench.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sugar Free wrote: »
    I get your sentiment but hitching is an easy enough way to cheat a deadlift no? Just like squatting high or thumping your sternum on bench.

I suppose so. But I'm talking in terms of really big lifts done in competition. Check out some of te videos of "world record" squats on YouTube done in multiply gear and a mile high.

Southern powerlifting federation, I think, are the worst.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

davmol wrote: »
    Totally agree with this.My cousin focuses on the Oly lifts seemingly just to impress his friends with his numbers. He is a strong lad but does zero cardio and has a very high body fat %.When he walks stairs or any distance he is exhausted.2 weeks ago on a stags we were moving from place to place and he was shattered due to walking mediocre distances.

A lot of gym work doesn't apply to aiding every day life.
    I find it very hard to believe somebody that has impressive numbers in the Oly lifts, and would struggle to climb stairs or walk from place to place.
    I know some of the heavier guys can carry excess body fat which does not suggest fitness, but they still have to be very quick with great mobility to achieve the lifts.
    Sugar Free wrote: »
    Sure you can hitch a deadlift, but a hitched lift is usually very obvious unlike squat depth which is subjective. And if hitching is allowed (Strongman) then the deadlift still has a very clear start and finish.

Advertisement