Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me

Options
  • 14-08-2015 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

So in the gym this morning, and got chatting to a lad who proceded to show me a video of this monster deadlift his brother/friend had done...Trying to suggest my form was wrong and this video was the correct way to deadlift. I humored him...

To me this deadlift has injury waiting to happen writen all over it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,133 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's bad form, yes. Pulling hard and heavy like that for an extended period may produce serious consequences, or may not. Some people will get away with all sorts of things. Looks like what, 220kgs? It's a great pull in terms of strength.

The deadlift of all the movements is very particular to an individual I think. The best setup for everyone is different depending on our bodyshape, etc. So I wouldn't get bent out of shape ever arguing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Needs to work on that spitting on the floor part of the set-up imo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Needs to work on that spitting on the floor part of the set-up imo :rolleyes:
    exactly wtf

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's bad form, yes. Pulling hard and heavy like that for an extended period may produce serious consequences, or may not. Some people will get away with all sorts of things. Looks like what, 220kgs? It's a great pull in terms of strength.

The deadlift of all the movements is very particular to an individual I think. The best setup for everyone is different depending on our bodyshape, etc. So I wouldn't get bent out of shape ever arguing about it.
    What llody said - lots of debate over perfect form on deadlift and what you can get away with.

Would like to know what weight it is and his weight - 220kg for a dude that big is ok i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

"Hey, you...stranger. You're doing it wrong. Look at this video of my brother/friend and do as he does".

Legit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

"Hey, you...stranger. You're doing it wrong. Look at this video of my brother/friend and do as he does".

Legit.

Its certainly not my lift if thats what your suggesting?

The lad who showed me, is a lad whose always around the gym and we'd talked on occassion bit, ask him for a spot once or twice...

I think he said the lift was 570/580 lift, assume thats pounds

Its certainly not my lift if thats what your suggesting?

The lad who showed me, is a lad whose always around the gym and we'd talked on occassion bit, ask him for a spot once or twice...

I think he said the lift was 570/580 lift, assume thats pounds

No. I'm just a bit amused that the other lad decided that would be a good idea

~260kgs is very impressive tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

The thing is if you want to demonstrate good form you look at a lift that's a good bit off a max.
    Most people's form will deteriorate more and more the closer they get to their max lift so generally those videos are a terrible example of anything except of how much they can lift.

The thing is if you want to demonstrate good form you look at a lift that's a good bit off a max.
    Most people's form will deteriorate more and more the closer they get to their max lift so generally those videos are a terrible example of anything except of how much they can lift.

Just for the record my deadlift is actually fine, have done a lot of work on and is probably my best lift IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

While I know the average bro won't think this way, unless you are competing in powerlifting or weightlifting is risking a potentially devastating back injury just to make that new PR or 1RM really worth it?? Once technique starts break down, why go heavier?

cc87 wrote: »
    While I know the average bro won't think this way, unless you are competing in powerlifting or weightlifting is risking a potentially devastating back injury just to make that new PR or 1RM really worth it?? Once technique starts break down, why go heavier?

Yes.

Because #fitfam.

Whatever motivates you. If chasing a number makes you go to the gym there are some positives in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just for the record my deadlift is actually fine, have done a lot of work on and is probably my best lift IMO
    Which part if your deadlift was this guy supposed to be correcting?

It's a big lift, so form will never be perfect at max effort, but I certainly wouldn't using it to point out form corrections.

Mellor wrote: »
    Which part if your deadlift was this guy supposed to be correcting?

It's a big lift, so form will never be perfect at max effort, but I certainly wouldn't using it to point out form corrections.

I don't know I think it was my head position, I never even thought about which aspect of the lift I was supposed to be looking at

~260kgs is very impressive tbf
    true it is but would be more impressed if he squat it to a legit depth

heck id settle for 10 pull ups from a big dude like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

Nope, I wouldn't risk my back with this exercise.

DarkoT wrote: »
    Nope, I wouldn't risk my back with this exercise.

Just do it properly and don't risk your back

Transform wrote: »

heck id settle for 10 pull ups from a big dude like that.

Well there's always more impressive feats out there, always more rounded athletes and in an international context you'll find plenty of people lifting well in excess of 260kgs at lighter bodyweights.

But you also need to place things within the context of what most people are capable of and, with that in mind, moving 260kgs is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Surely that applies to virtually everyones deadlift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

No lockout - 3 red lights

Well there's always more impressive feats out there, always more rounded athletes and in an international context you'll find plenty of people lifting well in excess of 260kgs at lighter bodyweights.

But you also need to place things within the context of what most people are capable of and, with that in mind, moving 260kgs is impressive.
    no doubt about it but i just personally couldnt give a toss about someones deadlift as for most its a glory lift and doesnt display a more complete athletic body. there's a point on deadlifts where strong is strong enough, double body weight is about right but he could be prepping for a deadlift meet so who knows

Mellor wrote: »
    Surely that applies to virtually everyones deadlift
    it sure does, deadlifts rarely excite me any more unless its Dan Green doing the pulling

no doubt about it but i just personally couldnt give a toss about someones deadlift as for most its a glory lift and doesnt display a more complete athletic body. there's a point on deadlifts where strong is strong enough, double body weight is about right but he could be prepping for a deadlift meet so who knows

Well obviously I agree there from my own experience. Attaining 'respectability' on the Deadlift is far easier than the other lifts.

Well obviously I agree there from my own experience. Attaining 'respectability' on the Deadlift is far easier than the other lifts.
    also depends on what the limiting factor the individual has physically/lyfestyle, shag all worth in working the squat, bench and deadlift hard when the guy or gal has zero engine, mobility is passable enough to do the main lifts and lack of sleep and poor diet are the real achilles heels.

Most guys/gals i know that have been in the game a LONG time ALL say they wished in the past they didnt go as heavy as often, took more rest days, ate better earlier and focused more on mobility and base conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

looks like his legs are doing no work, its all on lower back

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

also depends on what the limiting factor the individual has physically/lyfestyle, shag all worth in working the squat, bench and deadlift hard when the guy or gal has zero engine, mobility is passable enough to do the main lifts and lack of sleep and poor diet are the real achilles heels.

Most guys/gals i know that have been in the game a LONG time ALL say they wished in the past they didnt go as heavy as often, took more rest days, ate better earlier and focused more on mobility and base conditioning.

Totally agree with this.My cousin focuses on the Oly lifts seemingly just to impress his friends with his numbers.He is a strong lad but does zero cardio and has a very high body fat %.When he walks stairs or any distance he is exhausted.2 weeks ago on a stags we were moving from place to place and he was shattered due to walking mediocre distances.

A lot of gym work doesn't apply to aiding every day life.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

Did you ask his permission before posting it on here. If not, you should take it down in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

liam24 wrote: »
    Did you ask his permission before posting it on here. If not, you should take it down in my opinion.

It's on youtube. No need to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Impressive weight, but that's completely out weighed by the horrendous form...all lower back. People also have this misconception your supposed to drive your hips forward at the top of the movement, when your merely supposed to roll your shoulders back slightly.

The spitting is just wrong.

Advertisement