Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tottenham v Stoke

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

we scored two goals today with only one striker

the complete disregard for positioning or concentration as a defensive unit is much more of a worry.

agree it was a shocking defensive display from lorris and back4 , new season eaxact same fuk ups:mad:

kane went off injured puut an icepack on his knee:confused::o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Liverpool last season had five strikers and finished sixth. An experienced midfielder would of quashed the scoreline at 2-0 today.

Oh for a schweinstieger!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Hey look at that, we've 1 point more this season than the equivalent games last season.

Sky is falling. Our season is over yadda yadda....

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Today has proven we are a one man team. When Kane went off we were toothless. I was at OT last Saturday and Kane had no support. If we don't buy another quality striker along with Njie who is unproven in the Prem another disappointing season beckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

irishmover wrote:
    Hey look at that, we've 1 point more this season than the equivalent games last season.

Last season we had a new manager, first campaign, season of transition (another one). New players, new footballing philosophy yadda yadda.

What's the excuse this time ?

• Advertisement

Last season we had a new manager, first campaign, season of transition (another one). New players, new footballing philosophy yadda yadda.

What's the excuse this time ?

You seriously want to sit there and argue about the club?

This is a vicious circle. Same **** every season from the same people. 2 games in against two teams difficult to beat and here we are. I read through the entire thread after seeing the result and had to laugh at how quick peoples opinions change within a half hour of football. Went from cruising to a result to a draw in our second game of the season and now the season is over, already.

You want rid of Poch do you? I wonder whether you were one of those people complaining about how Levy chops managers too often aswell yeh?

I was right about Kane and Soldado. I'll throw another ridiculous statement in the ring, completely controversial and all that, and say that amazingly our season isn't over on the 15th of August.

We were 2 up today and blew it. When Kane went off there was no quality to bring on. We cant rely just on one player...

Deisler wrote: »
    We were 2 up today and blew it. When Kane went off there was no quality to bring on. We cant rely just on one player...

Plus he went off injured/unfit. This might push Levy etc to finalise another striker deal too. May be a blessing in disguise.

irishmover wrote:
    You seriously want to sit there and argue about the club?

It's a spurs forum, of course I do. Is that not point of this place. I'm not looking for an argument per say but I am looking to debate. Don't take my comments or others so personal. I (and others) are frustrated at spurs, at the team , and the team and club management not with 'irish mover'.

irishmover wrote:
    This is a vicious circle. Same **** every season from the same people. 2 games in against two teams difficult to beat and here we are. I read through the entire thread after seeing the result and had to laugh at how quick peoples opinions change within a half hour of football. Went from cruising to a result to a draw in our second game of the season and now the season is over, already.

My opinion hasn't changed. I feel the same now as Ive done for years.

irishmover wrote:
    You want rid of Poch do you? I wonder whether you were one of those people complaining about how Levy chops managers too often aswell yeh?

Don't want to get rid of Poch. Never mentioned anything even close to that, don't try to put words in my mouth.

irishmover wrote:
    I was right about Kane and Soldado. I'll throw another ridiculous statement in the ring, completely controversial and all that, and say that amazingly our season isn't over on the 15th of August.

Of course it's not over. But every game matters. Every point won and lost.

I'm mean for f**k sake look at the tiny margins we have missed out on fourth place on or finished below the scum on.

People talk about it been a typical Spurs result. 'You can't rely on spurs' ... 'another capitulation' etc.

I always thought there was something endemic within the club. A bad attitude or culture or philosophy but now I seriously wonder if it's the fans own fault. The willingness to accept this kind of mediocrity sickens me. (Not talking about you here btw) but the comments on social media reflect the total lack of ambition from our own fans "5th place is about our standard"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

irishmover wrote: »
    Plus he went off injured/unfit. This might push Levy etc to finalise another striker deal too. May be a blessing in disguise.

speaking of blessing in disguises i was praying walker would be sent off when he stupidly clashed with one there players when he was already booked

;), would give poch no excuse not to play trippier next game:D

• Advertisement

It's a spurs forum, of course I do. Is that not point of this place. I'm not looking for an argument per say but I am looking to debate. Don't take my comments or others so personal. I (and others) are frustrated at spurs, at the team , and the team and club management not with 'irish mover'.

My opinion hasn't changed. I feel the same now as Ive done for years.

Don't want to get rid of Poch. Never mentioned anything even close to that, don't try to put words in my mouth.

Of course it's not over. But every game matters. Every point won and lost.

I'm mean for f**k sake look at the tiny margins we have missed out on fourth place on or finished below the scum on.

People talk about it been a typical Spurs result. 'You can't rely on spurs' ... 'another capitulation' etc.

I always thought there was something endemic within the club. A bad attitude or culture or philosophy but now I seriously wonder if it's the fans own fault. The willingness to accept this kind of mediocrity sickens me. (Not talking about you here btw) but the comments on social media reflect the total lack of ambition from our own fans "5th place is about our standard"

I'm trying to detract from all the doom and gloom from virtually everyone here. New threads popping up about our owners when there's already existing thread, People getting carried away really. It feels like the start of the season Juande Ramos got the boot (its not but the attitude from the fanbase feels that way).

I think everyone just needs to take a step back, chill out and have a few drinks.

Last season we stole a heap of points due to late winners and equalisers. Shoe is on the other foot so we need to take it on the chin.

This game will not be a defining negative factor in our season its not all downhill from here..

We've got a few exciting youngsters on the fringes of the first team who could have similar impact to Kane last year aswell. Who knows how Pritchard could impact our season yet? What's to say the powers that be are relying on him to live up to expectations and be the creativity we all know the team needs to push us on this season..

I know I'd much prefer a player at the club to step up than go waste another £20m on ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

same old tottenham

the faces change but the story rarely does

embarrassing

davycc wrote: »
    speaking of blessing in disguises i was praying walker would be sent off when he stupidly clashed with one there players when he was already booked

;), would give poch no excuse not to play trippier next game:D

Walker a total liability. Should be shipped off asap.

same old tottenham

the faces change but the story rarely does

embarrassing

Its hardly 0-2 at home to West Ham opening day of the season embarrassing. Silver lining.. Poke at rival while you can and all that..

irishmover wrote:
    I'm trying to detract from all the doom and gloom from virtually everyone here. New threads popping up about our owners when there's already existing thread, People getting carried away really. It feels like the start of the season Juande Ramos got the boot (its not but the attitude from the fanbase feels that way).
    irishmover wrote:
    I think everyone just needs to take a step back, chill out and have a few drinks.

All we want - all anyone of us want is success. Or at least progress.

He have made success in the last 13 years but we have made little or none in the last 5 years.

Last season we stole a heap of points due to late winners and equalisers. Shoe is on the other foot so we need to take it on the chin.

This game will not be a defining negative factor in our season its not all downhill from here..

We've got a few exciting youngsters on the fringes of the first team who could have similar impact to Kane last year aswell. Who knows how Pritchard could impact our season yet? What's to say the powers that be are relying on him to live up to expectations and be the creativity we all know the team needs to push us on this season..

I know I'd much prefer a player at the club to step up than go waste another £20m on ****.

Clutching at straws comes to mind. How can you be positive about the season with one recognised striker in the team. Forget about the rest of the problems and just concentrate on that. One ****ing striker for a top 5 team? Are you serious?!

He have made success in the last 13 years but we have made little or none in the last 5 years.

Exactly. Sick of accepting we are second best. We need to invest and kick on. Anyone who accepts todays result is not a true Spurs fan.

Fully agree, who doesn't want to win the league and become a powerhouse club? Wouldn't it be fantastic to be supporting the club through all these years and to see us become successful?

People need to just be realistic at present though. Our days of VDV, Berbatov/Keane, Modric and Bale are behind us for now. It certainly does feel like a step back but things were different then.

The sting of wasting all that Bale money is probably still fresh in the clubs memories. I wouldn't want them to repeat the same mistakes again.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Clutching at straws comes to mind. How can you be positive about the season with one recognised striker in the team. Forget about the rest of the problems and just concentrate on that. One ****ing striker for a top 5 team? Are you serious?!

Well, positive thing is, after today's result you still consider us a top 5 team.

Well, positive thing is, after today's result you still consider us a top 5 team.

Ha ha I mean the supposed consensus. Truth is we will be battling with Stoke whatever position that is

• Advertisement

Ha ha I mean the supposed consensus. Truth is we will be battling with Stoke whatever position that is

To be fair Stoke have signed well.

I don't think this is the case. Will see what our squad looks like come September 2nd and go from there.

disagree with that. season started a week ago. points dropped now are worth exactly the same as points the last few weeks of the season.

no excuse for squad not in place. nor for the positional sense of our defenders not to have been addressed throughout all of last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Hysterical reaction as per usual here. We scored enough goals to win today, so the lack of striking options didn't lose us the game, sitting back and letting Stoke back in meant we drew instead of won.

People go on about one recognised striker but we only had one recognised striker since Soldado left yesterday. Luckily Kane played well today, we signed a forward and will definitely sign another very soon. We haven't started the season well but that's not down to lack of strikers.

There are gonna be more disappointing results this season, and every season for the rest of our lives. Is hysterical outrage really the way forward? Every single time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Why is everyone going on about only having one striker? Surely the fact we conceded two soft goals again is the issue? who was tracking Ireland when he set up the second goal? A lot of bandwagon jumping going on here and ignoring the obvious. Up front was not the issue yesterday, and if you think it was, well you just don't know what your talking about.

Ormus wrote: »
    Hysterical reaction as per usual here. We scored enough goals to win today, so the lack of striking options didn't lose us the game, sitting back and letting Stoke back in meant we drew instead of won.

People go on about one recognised striker but we only had one recognised striker since Soldado left yesterday. Luckily Kane played well today, we signed a forward and will definitely sign another very soon. We haven't started the season well but that's not down to lack of strikers.

There are gonna be more disappointing results this season, and every season for the rest of our lives. Is hysterical outrage really the way forward? Every single time?

????? Has a team ever won the league with 1 striker? Has a team ever got into the top 4 with 1 striker? We didn't sign a forward we signed an attacking midfielder. Not down to a lack of strikers? That's what it's all about.

????? Has a team ever won the league with 1 striker? Has a team ever got into the top 4 with 1 striker? We didn't sign a forward we signed an attacking midfielder. Not down to a lack of strikers? That's what it's all about.

Definitely not. Do you honestly think we're gonna go the season with one striker? I'm willing to bet you an awful lotta money that won't happen.

Definitely not. Do you honestly think we're gonna go the season with one striker? I'm willing to bet you an awful lotta money that won't happen.

We need at least 3 strikers. Do you think that's gonna happen before the window closes?

We need at least 3 strikers. Do you think that's gonna happen before the window closes?

What would we do with 4 strikers between now and Christmas? You realise we play one up front?

What would we do with 4 strikers between now and Christmas? You realise we play one up front?

I said 3 strikers at least. What happens when we're 2-0 down against Leicester (for example) and we need to put two up top but one of our strikers is out injured? Hence 3 at least. Think man. Think.

• Advertisement

I said 3 strikers at least. What happens when we're 2-0 down against Leicester (for example) and we need to put two up top but one of our strikers is out injured? Hence 3 at least. Think man. Think.

If we're 2-0 down to Leicester then we've more issues than a lack of options up front.

We've got some young lads. Only need one more striker. Better to give our future stars a shot at making it than another mercenary like Adebayour.

Advertisement