Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode - its implemetation (merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

plodder wrote: »
    So, I guess that was just wishful thinking then?

Aren't we all wishing for Google to hurry on, well maybe not, as you seem to be taking great pleasure in repeating the same "is it there yet" remark.<snip>

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we stop sniping at each other, and do not attack posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

byrnefm wrote: »
    I got a reply back from Eircode on Friday on my second attempt...

If Eircodes are to be used more and more going forward, and more websites slowly make them mandatory, what do you do then for those who have just moved into a newly built house? It sounds like it could take 4 - 5 months to get a code. The new code assignment process seems to be awfully long and convoluted for something that would appear to be relatively straightforward... I also don't see anything on Eircode's website about the process for new homes that did not get assigned one.

The website should be very clear on procedures for obtaining a missing Eircode and a new Eircode etc. If the consortium are not much bothered then why should address holders be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

clewbays wrote: »
    The website should be very clear on procedures for obtaining a missing Eircode and a new Eircode etc. If the consortium are not much bothered then why should address holders be.

they do! It's right under 'Getting an Eircode'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

ukoda wrote: »
    Aren't we all wishing for Google to hurry on, well maybe not, as you seem to be taking great pleasure in repeating the same "is it there yet" remark.<snip>
    Numerous times, I've said that Eircodes will be useful for navigation when they are supported by navigation devices. So, why would I not be wishing for google (or whoever) to hurry on. I'll use them as much as the next person, especially as I live in a rural area. That's not going to stop me calling out BS when I see it though ;)

On the infrequent updates problem, I mentioned that before. It's a real problem for newly built houses, as that's the time when you're going to have the greatest number of deliveries and visits by service providers/tradesmen etc.

If updates are quarterly, then the geodirectory entry needs to be created at construction commencement probably. Planning would be too early because not all granted permissions get built. I think also that we should be able to maturely accept that it's one advantage a geocode has over a database oriented code like Eircode.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think also that we should be able to maturely accept that it's one advantage a geocode has over a database oriented code like Eircode.

I'm pretty sure nobody has ever argued that geocodes have no advantages over database codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

.....Planning would be too early because not all granted permissions get built.....

No, it wouldn't, "extra" eircodes for sites where planning is refused are no load at all

The council could build a list of sites refused (with Eircodes) and why

That'd be a good use for Eircodes

gctest50 wrote: »
    No, it wouldn't, "extra" eircodes for sites where planning is refused are no load at all

The council could build a list of sites refused (with Eircodes) and why

That'd be a good use for Eircodes

Could be similar to the UK, they have a "not yet built" database of postcodes

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

The Dept. of Agriculture single payment application form now has a request to update your details with your Eircode. And the pre addresses return envelope to the office in Portlaoise has the eircode for the office in the address. It's one of the first things I've seen from officialdom that request a record update and also use their eircode in their office address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

BailMeOut wrote: »

So how does it work - Capita will send you your Eircode when they receive it? Is that how you get one? Relax, sit back, and wait!

Is anyone aware of any figures on take-up? Is anyone monitoring it? Any feedback on usage of it by the emergency services?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭GJG

clewbays wrote: »
    Is anyone aware of any figures on take-up? Is anyone monitoring it? Any feedback on usage of it by the emergency services?

I got a statement from SUSI, said that they asked for Eircodes, but didn't make them mandatory on their form; 88 per cent of respondents included them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

GJG wrote: »
    I got a statement from SUSI, said that they asked for Eircodes, but didn't make them mandatory on their form; 88 per cent of respondents included them.

Jeepers , thats a good number

BoatMad wrote: »
    Jeepers , thats a good number

That is a great figure. Nearly 90% could provide thier eircode when requested to, I'd imagine the 12% are the some of the borderline cases where they may have felt providing the eircode would lose them the grant so they left it out

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

My local Supervalue now asking for eircode on their reward card application form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

The Apple online store recently coughed up my eircode when setting up a delivery.

I suspect that many businesses are only adding eircodes to their addressing systems when they routinely update them, rather than as a special one-off task.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

The Autoaddress app is now available for android. Just been playing around with it and I'm quite impressed. It lets you save eircodes/addresses which you can pass to a satnav app when out of mobile coverage. There's no restrictions on look ups either.

moyners wrote: »
    The Autoaddress app is now available for android. Just been playing around with it and I'm quite impressed. It lets you save eircodes/addresses which you can pass to a satnav app when out of mobile coverage. There's no restrictions on look ups either.

I'm struggling to know how it's free, they must be absorbing the cost of greater than 15 look ups themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

I'm struggling to know how it's free, they must be absorbing the cost of greater than 15 look ups themselves.

Perhaps they're taking the position that their reputation lives or dies by how well Eircode is utilised and this is one way to prove it works?

I see they replied to one reviewer that they will block suspected bots.

that Autoaddress app is really good.

how handy is that going to be.

Do they have a desktop (browser) version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

It does look quite useful, but if you look at the T&Cs they can change them at any time and start charging or whatever. But, it's hard to see how this usage of the ECAD fits with the licensing terms that were published last year. It isn't really a "provider" who is supposed to keep track of its end users, nor is it an end user, who is only allowed to use it internally and not provide any kind of value added service. This is the trouble with complicated licenses that don't envisage all the possible uses that can be made of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/outgoing-an-post-chief-predicts-ongoing-fall-in-post-volumes-1.2631588

Noted in this article that Eircode usage across Ireland remains at less than 10% of postal users. Was such low take up at this point post implementation envisaged? Being honest, I've never used it myself yet and certainly wouldn't be able to recite my code from memory. Does anyone expect usage of the Eircode to climb by any significant degree in the near future?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Does anyone expect usage of the Eircode to climb by any significant degree in the near future?

for rural no question that Eircode will be adapted slowly but surely. If you do not live in a housing estate with easy to find address it is a complete nightmare getting anything delivered in the country. The key to its usage and adoption however is with the businesses who deliver things as there are so many great uses of it that depend on IT upgrades.

One very simple rural scenario where Eircode could be so useful is home heating oil deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

One very simple rural scenario where Eircode could be so useful is home heating oil deliveries.

An Oil Watchman Anywhere + Eircodes would make it easier to plan deliveries

https://www.tanks.ie/oil-tanks/oil-tank-security/watchman-anywhere.html

I'm having a problem with deliveries since the Eircodes were introduced.

I added the Eircode to my address instead of "Dublin 7" since the code starts "D07" and I've been waited nearly 4 weeks for something that should've been here in 4 days!

The order was in 4 identical boxes with the same exact address on each in the same position on each box.

Box #1 arrived in 4 days; box #2 arrived the following day but box #3 took THREE WEEKS to arrive and when it did, it had
    "IMPORTANT : Delay caused by incorrect postal address" labels all over it -- one would've sufficed.

The final box has still not arrived.

I contacted An Post via their website on Wednesday last but I have not yet received a response.

My address is in the format :

XXX Road Name
    Dublin
    D07 XXXX

--- Previously it would've been always :

XXX Road Name
    Dublin 7

You'd really want to go out of your way to not realise that :

XXX Road
    Dublin
    D07 X1Y2

Is the same as:

XXX Road
    Dublin 7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It might have been said already but I think you're meant to keep the "Dublin 7" bit, as the Eircode is meant to be used in addition to the existing address. Not sure why that would make a difference but I think I saw that one here somewhere before.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

It has to do with the Postal Town which An Posts mail sorting equipment uses for sorting mail. In Dublin, the Postal District (Dublin 1, 2, 3, ... etc) performs the same purpose. You still need to keep the Dublin 1, 2, 3, ...

In other words, it's a complete kludge of a system that's requiring customers to do something unintuitive and will result in errors.

Obviously people will drop the Dublin X numbers thinking they're now part of the Eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Driving licence replacement form had a non compulsory box for an eircode - wonder will it actually be used on the delivered licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bray Head

larchill wrote: »
    It has to do with the Postal Town which An Posts mail sorting equipment uses for sorting mail. In Dublin, the Postal District (Dublin 1, 2, 3, ... etc) performs the same purpose. You still need to keep the Dublin 1, 2, 3, ...
    I've omitted the Dublin X part and have had no problem with deliveries.

Advertisement