Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode - its implemetation (merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

I think this is a perfect example of the power and convenience of eircode (again I've no alfillation to anyone in the tweet, I just search Twitter for "eircode" every so often and post stuff I think is relevant)

a40olg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭plodder

Still no sign of google maps integration. But, I see that the Autoaddress app is to be released on April 29th and it has a number of features including google maps. I wonder if that will be touted as the "google maps support".

plodder wrote: »
    I wonder if that will be touted as the "google maps support".

Nope

https://twitter.com/autoaddress/status/718480155115708420

We also expect to see Eircodes on Google Maps app shortly.
    If Beckett were around today he'd probably have written 'Waiting for Eircode'

"“Let's go." "We can't." "Why not?" "We're waiting for Eircode.”

If Beckett were around today he'd probably have written 'Waiting for Eircode'

"“Let's go." "We can't." "Why not?" "We're waiting for Eircode.”

I believe it's Google we are waiting on now, last update we had was that contract was signed and its down to googles work priorities now as to when they implement

• Advertisement

ukoda wrote: »
    I believe it's Google we are waiting on now, last update we had was that contract was signed and its down to googles work priorities now as to when they implement
    Any evidence to show that the contract has actually been signed, as opposed to people here saying it must be signed by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

I notice the Eircode no longer invalidates the entire address on Google maps on my phone. Baby steps!

Any evidence to show that the contract has actually been signed, as opposed to people here saying it must be signed by now.

Any evidence to say it hasn't actually been signed? As opposed to people here saying it can't be.

My comment is based on what another poster on here has told all of us, the poster seems to be "in the know" but of course this is the Internet and at the end of the day we all know nothing for sure.

Have you lined up your negitive comments for when it does happen? Or are you working on some new moan material to move on to something else to complain about after Google does launch it ;)

Any evidence to say it hasn't actually been signed? As opposed to people here saying it can't be.
    That would be impossible for me to prove, just like I can't prove the moon isn't made of cheese. I'm sure you can see the faulty reasoning there. Proving that something was done should be easy if you know it was done.
    My comment is based on what another poster on here has told all of us, the poster seems to be "in the know" but of course this is the Internet and at the end of the day we all know nothing for sure.
    I don't think the poster actually said the contract was signed
    Have you lined up your negitive comments for when it does happen? Or are you working on some new moan material to move on to something else to complain about after Google does launch it ;)
    It was just a question as to whether the contract was signed. Why do you see that as a negative comment?

That would be impossible for me to prove, just like I can't prove the moon isn't made of cheese. I'm sure you can see the faulty reasoning there. Proving that something was done should be easy if you know it was done.

I don't think the poster actually said the contract was signed

It was just a question as to whether the contract was signed. Why do you see that as a negative comment?

I've got some news for you, we can actually prove the moon isn't made of cheese! We can also prove the earth isn't flat. Also proving something wasn't done should be easy if you know it wasn't done. You see the faulty reasoning there I'm sure.

The poster said:

BoatMad wrote: »
    yes I believe that the pricing for large users was unattractive , which is why I believe the minister got involved.

I believe it is sorted now and its a function of Googled priority plans

• Advertisement

You asked me could I prove something. That's not the same as 'can we prove something'
    Boatmad wrote:
    yes I believe that the pricing for large users was unattractive , which is why I believe the minister got involved.

I believe it is sorted now and its a function of Googled priority plans
    That is not saying that the contract is definitely signed. Maybe it is going to be signed, but it's not evidence that it has been...

Good night now!

You asked me could I prove something. That's not the same as 'can we prove something'

That is not saying that the contract is definitely signed. Maybe it is going to be signed, but it's not evidence that it has been...

Good night now!

I'm struggling to find anywhere I said anything about evidence. I said "I believe" and then I went on to say "but we all know nothing for sure"

Anyway enough now.

On topic, someone has launched a "text eircode" system, basically you text the word eircode and the actual eircode to a number and they text you back the address and google map link. And get this, they are charging €2 a text!!

http://www.eircodetext.com

Good luck to them!!!

As we know already, the National Ambulance Service are now using eircode, but it's now been rolled out to the ECAS which means any call to 112/999 can take an eircode to locate the callers address

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/en-ie/Postcodes/Pages/Latest-News.aspx#

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Good night now!

Eircode support is part of googles plans. When we see it is a function of the priority it assigns to that work ( not much unfortunately )

The contractual issues have been resolved to my knowledge , the actual signing of a contract of supply is not in itself significant one way or the other

I don't think you'll see any official comment until a work schedule and release date is agreed internally in Google

Eircode support is part of googles plans. When we see it is a function of the priority it assigns to that work ( not much unfortunately )

The contractual issues have been resolved to my knowledge , the actual signing of a contract of supply is not in itself significant one way or the other

I don't think you'll see any official comment until a work schedule and release date is agreed internally in Google
    In fairness to Eircode, knowing that a contract was signed would remove all doubt that Eircode were dragging their heels and the ball is actually in google's court. What about other mapping platforms, aside from google? Any news there?

Article about what3words on Irish Times site today

Mapping world with three little words for every location
    It is so conceptually simple that it makes the €38 million spent on the controversial Eircode system here seem like an even more astonishing amount of money to establish a postcode system that nobody uses.
    a little unfair maybe, as w3w is really an addressing system rather than a postcode, and it's even more random than Eircode.

In fairness to Eircode, knowing that a contract was signed would remove all doubt that Eircode were dragging their heels and the ball is actually in google's court. What about other mapping platforms, aside from google? Any news there?

Article about what3words on Irish Times site today

Mapping world with three little words for every location

a little unfair maybe, as w3w is really an addressing system rather than a postcode, and it's even more random than Eircode.

The issue wasn't really Eircode per se, more a function of the way the licensing of GeoDirectory and its use by eircode was a flaw in the costing of Eircode licensing.

There's a lot of work going in in the logistics sector software provides, upgrading systems to support Eircode, some companies see it as more strategic then others.

The stand alone sat nav business is in somewhat of a decline , with smartphone apps predominating , so sat-nav companies has less incentive to update regularly and I notice update time scales have extended in that industry

w3w, is just another short form GPS location code. a million miles from a postcode

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I guess that What3words does not solve the non-unique address situation, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I guess that What3words does not solve the non-unique address situation, does it?

or multi-storey buildings.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

W3W would be a ridiculous postcode.

Smiles Dental
    28 O'Connell Street
    Dublin 1
    hardly.give.reduce
    Ireland

Revenue Commissioners
    Cathedral Street
    Dublin 1
    sprint.vote.plates
    Ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

oscarBravo wrote: »
    W3W would be a ridiculous postcode.

Smiles Dental
    28 O'Connell Street
    Dublin 1
    hardly.give.reduce
    Ireland

Revenue Commissioners
    Cathedral Street
    Dublin 1
    sprint.vote.plates
    Ireland

I can see some unfortunate word choices for some addresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Downloaded the boon. app for Android contactless payments, as recommended by the bargain alerts thread, interestingly they have a field for Eircode even though they're a Dutch company.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

oscarBravo wrote: »
    My dad had no Eircode when he moved into his house (like your colleague, no red dot). He contacted Capita, explained where he was, and they gave him his Eircode over the phone.

I'll check with him who he spoke to.

eta: I just checked the map, and his house now has a red dot.

I got a reply back from Eircode on Friday on my second attempt. I sent coordinates and screenshots of my colleague's house that was missing the 'red dot'. Apparently the process is to contact Eircode if you're missing one and they assign you a reference number, verify the address doesn't have a code, then put your request in a queue for GeoDirectory. GeoDirectory then assign a code and send out updates on a quarterly basis back to Eircode, who then update their map. As a result, the (helpful detailed) reply noted that they couldn't give a time estimate as to when the Eircode would be assigned.

If Eircodes are to be used more and more going forward, and more websites slowly make them mandatory, what do you do then for those who have just moved into a newly built house? It sounds like it could take 4 - 5 months to get a code. The new code assignment process seems to be awfully long and convoluted for something that would appear to be relatively straightforward... I also don't see anything on Eircode's website about the process for new homes that did not get assigned one.

byrnefm wrote: »
    I got a reply back from Eircode on Friday on my second attempt. I sent coordinates and screenshots of my colleague's house that was missing the 'red dot'. Apparently the process is to contact Eircode if you're missing one and they assign you a reference number, verify the address doesn't have a code, then put your request in a queue for GeoDirectory. GeoDirectory then assign a code and send out updates on a quarterly basis back to Eircode, who then update their map. As a result, the (helpful detailed) reply noted that they couldn't give a time estimate as to when the Eircode would be assigned.

If Eircodes are to be used more and more going forward, and more websites slowly make them mandatory, what do you do then for those who have just moved into a newly built house? It sounds like it could take 4 - 5 months to get a code. The new code assignment process seems to be awfully long and convoluted for something that would appear to be relatively straightforward... I also don't see anything on Eircode's website about the process for new homes that did not get assigned one.

Hopefully someone has the brains to make issuing an eircode part of the planning procedure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Any update on this being on Google Maps?
    It's starting to look like total vaporware at this stage.

12Phase wrote: »
    Any update on this being on Google Maps?
    It's starting to look like total vaporware at this stage.

perhaps you could re-arrange Googles work priority then :cool: I suggest you start by explaining why Eircode is soooooo important to them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Google's "priorities" are a mystery to everyone but themselves. Android 6.0.1 currently has a bug that means L2TP/IPsec VPN's no longer work, a bit of a deal breaker for many corporate users, but there's no sign of them doing anything about it.

Boatmad wrote:
    perhaps you could re-arrange Googles work priority then I suggest you start by explaining why Eircode is soooooo important to them
    Nope
    https://twitter.com/autoaddress/status/718480155115708420

@PaulBT8 Agreed. Hope you find it useful when launched. We also expect to see Eircodes on Google Maps app shortly.
    So, I guess that was just wishful thinking then?

perhaps you could re-arrange Googles work priority then :cool: I suggest you start by explaining why Eircode is soooooo important to them

Nothing to do with me.

Eircode reps and the government said this would be on mapping systems soon. We all said that at we wouldn't be holding our breaths waiting for it.

Looks like we were right, no interest in the system.

12Phase wrote: »
    Nothing to do with me.

Eircode reps and the government said this would be on mapping systems soon. We all said that at we wouldn't be holding our breaths waiting for it.

Looks like we were right, no interest in the system.

<snip>

• Advertisement

<snip>

I will in my ... !

I have nothing to do with the rollout, promotion of or anything else of Eircode.
    I'm just an end user of a product that seems to be paid for by the state and that hasn't seen much adoption.

I am entitled to have a bloody opinion!

Advertisement