Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark side of the game.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭wackokid

I only know what I see and hear after watching the last 15 minutes of that game on SKY + in real time and slow motion at least 10 times.
    This constant castigating of McCann by mainly Kerry scribes every place there is written word, tells it's own tale as they tried hard to make a dangerous villain out of the Cork midfielder Alan O Connor after the drawn match.
    This is my last post on the subject as it's beginning to grate on my nerves. McCann did his dive with a smile at least and not like Aidan O Mahony a seasoned operator ( twice) whose occupation would surely demand honesty on the field of play. A bit rich for Kerry people to adopt this holier than thou attitude now. They also have the king of skulduggery in their ranks who thinks its proper to flake the notebook out of a referees hand and a litany of other nasty tricks.
    This thing of bringing the game into disrepute for feigning injury rings hollow in comparison to the other stuff that's endemic in gaelic games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

wackokid wrote: »
    I only know what I see and hear after watching the last 15 minutes of that game on SKY + in real time and slow motion at least 10 times.
    This constant castigating of McCann by mainly Kerry scribes every place there is written word, tells it's own tale as they tried hard to make a dangerous villain out of the Cork midfielder Alan O Connor after the drawn match.
    This is my last post on the subject as it's beginning to grate on my nerves. McCann did his dive with a smile at least and not like Aidan O Mahony a seasoned operator ( twice) whose occupation would surely demand honesty on the field of play. A bit rich for Kerry people to adopt this holier than thou attitude now. They also have the king of skulduggery in their ranks who thinks its proper to flake the notebook out of a referees hand and a litany of other nasty tricks.
    This thing of bringing the game into disrepute for feigning injury rings hollow in comparison to the other stuff that's endemic in gaelic games.

A ref can only deal with what he sees. If we are to demand that level of consistency i.e. that all transgressions must be treated equally, then the only solution is to punish no transgression.
    Rather than contrast a punishment with a let off, we should rejoice each time an offender is caught and punished, and hope for more of the same in futur.

I'm from Kilkenny, I couldn't give a sh1te who wins or loses in football, so you needn't go looking for an agenda in what I'm saying, but objectively, I've never seen anything as pathetic as what McCann did, ever, on a GAA field.

Are you sure about that?

You know some Tyrone supporters here think it's pretty much fanned by Kerry fans, a RTE and GAA conspiracy to support Kerry, some even say Dublin and Mayo are good stock but Kerrymen are bad to the bone.

You may have to prove your credentials, could you post a pic of your birth cert and utility bill with your address? Could you list all contact with Kerry in the past 5 years?

They also have the king of skulduggery in their ranks who thinks its proper to flake the notebook out of a referees hand and a litany of other nasty tricks.

Ummmmmmmmmm...for which he got a lengthy ban and which seriously affected the outcome of the Championship.

And he could have few complaints, although some would say assaulting a sheet of paper didn't merit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

No, I didn't see the refs report, but did see the assault and heard the SKY commentator say " Hughes is for the long walk after that tackle"

Perhaps you will know why that great warrior Paul Geaney thought it necessary to welt into Shields? He is one nasty piece of goods and will get his comeuppance soon.

...because SKY said it is gospel?

If you think that Paul Geaney is a nasty piece of goods... ha ha ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

This idea that it's just targeting Tyrone for no reason whatsoever other than that they're Tyrone is laughable. Why do you think people would target Tyrone? What would you imagine is the problem everyone has with them. As I mentioned before, I'm from Kilkenny, I couldn't give a sh1te who wins or loses in football, so you needn't go looking for an agenda in what I'm saying, but objectively, I've never seen anything as pathetic as what McCann did, ever, on a GAA field. It severely undermined the game. And no it wasn't the first time someone's done it, but it's nothing to do with being from Tyrone either. Ye should get that out of yer heads.

If it's nothing to do with with being from Tyrone then why were players from other counties not punished in the same way for doing the same thing?

If you think what McCann did is the most pathetic thing you've seen on a GAA field I can only conclude you haven't seen much. I've seen some disgraceful acts of thuggery and violence in club and county matches all over the country which resulted in some players in hospital with serious injuries.

Young McCann made a mistake in the heat of the moment. Anyone would be forgiven for thinking he shot a couple of Monaghan players going by some of the reaction here.
    BTW "everyone" doesn't have a problem with Tyrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ummmmmmmmmm...for which he got a lengthy ban and which seriously affected the outcome of the Championship.

And he could have few complaints, although some would say assaulting a sheet of paper didn't merit that.

Yet again you're full of crap. I've probably been the Tyrone poster who's had the most to say about this on here and I've never mentioned Kerry. In fact I said eamon Fitz came out and supported McCann.

I've also never said there was a conspiracy. I've said rte are anti Tyrone and that this ban is only being levelled because it was a Tyrone player.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,851 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jayop wrote: »
    Yet again you're full of crap. I've probably been the Tyrone poster who's had the most to say about this on here and I've never mentioned Kerry. In fact I said eamon Fitz came out and supported McCann.

I've also never said there was a conspiracy. I've said rte are anti Tyrone and that this ban is only being levelled because it was a Tyrone player.

Why would rte be anti Tyrone? There's no motivation to be anti or pro anyone, it makes no difference to them.

Why would rte be anti Tyrone? There's no motivation to be anti or pro anyone, it makes no difference to them.

Look it up. I've recited the story enough times on here.

The Sunday games official twitter account favourited a tweet by Anthony moyles saying he hoped kerry battered tyrone.

Unbiased national broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Anthony Moyles is a regular contributor on Newstalk. Does that make them biased against Tyrone too?

Anthony Moyles is a regular contributor on Newstalk. Does that make them biased against Tyrone too?

Way to miss the point.

I don't care what that muppet moyles thinks, the problem is that the official rte Sunday game Twitter favourited this.

I hope Kerry knock seven shades out of these Tyrone lads ...that McCann lad needs a serious lesson given to him
    12:25am - 9 Aug 15

A tweet encouraging violence against a team and an individual player. But yeah, we're all paranoid up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Way to miss the point.

I don't care what that muppet moyles thinks, the problem is that the official rte Sunday game Twitter favourited this.

I hope Kerry knock seven shades out of these Tyrone lads ...that McCann lad needs a serious lesson given to him
    12:25am - 9 Aug 15

A tweet encouraging violence against a team and an individual player. But yeah, we're all paranoid up north.

The individual person manning the Sunday Game twitter account at that time favourites a tweet and it's evidence of an agenda against Tyrone? A little bit of perspective is required here.

The individual person manning the Sunday Game twitter account at that time favourites a tweet and it's evidence of an agenda against Tyrone? A little bit of perspective is required here.

Jesus yeah of course I need perspective. Rte didn't even come up with that excuse, theirs was even more pathetic than your effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Jesus yeah of course I need perspective. Rte didn't even come up with that excuse, theirs was even more pathetic than your effort.
    What was RTE's 'excuse'?

What was RTE's 'excuse'?

That Twitter defined th favourite button as either to favourite a tweet, ie. Indicate you like/agree or use it to file tweets for later. Some nonsense like that.

What I don't get is why that foul at the end of the hurling today which effectively decided that game and was as cynical as anything I've seen on a pitch gets glossed over and barely mentioned. Certainly the galway lads manliness wasn't questioned.

I see things like that all the time in hurling but never given the attention they get at football. Why is that?

My opinion is because the hurling pundits prefer to focus on the good things rather than just ramming problems down your throat whereas the football equivalent can only see issues in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

What I don't get is why that foul at the end of the hurling today which effectively decided that game and was as cynical as anything I've seen on a pitch gets glossed over and barely mentioned. Certainly the galway lads manliness wasn't questioned.

I see things like that all the time in hurling but never given the attention they get at football. Why is that?

My opinion is because the hurling pundits prefer to focus on the good things rather than just ramming problems down your throat whereas the football equivalent can only see issues in everything.

Which foul are you referring to..?
    The Galway full back's pull-down of Callinan.?

washman3 wrote: »
    Which foul are you referring to..?
    The Galway full back's pull-down of Callinan.?

Yeah, that led to the missed pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭randd1

Yeah, that led to the missed pen.

The defender didn't go out to deliberately foul a man as a first resort, he went for the ball, missed and then fouled him. Cynical, but most definitely not pre-determined.

And Callanan didn't dive on the ground holding his face to get the man sent off for absolutely nothing, instead he tried getting up as quick as he could after a seriously tough challenge.

World of a difference altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Grueller

randd1 wrote: »
    The defender didn't go out to deliberately foul a man as a first resort, he went for the ball, missed and then fouled him. Cynical, but most definitely not pre-determined.

And Callanan didn't dive on the ground holding his face to get the man sent off for absolutely nothing, instead he tried getting up as quick as he could after a seriously tough challenge.

World of a difference altogether.

Very similar to Sean Cavanagh on Conor McManus though and Cavanagh was castigated from a height for it. It was a very cynical foul by Hanbury, but he was 100% right to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭randd1

Grueller wrote: »
    Very similar to Sean Cavanagh on Conor McManus though and Cavanagh was castigated from a height for it. It was a very cynical foul by Hanbury, but he was 100% right to do it.

Cynical, yes, but you get the impression with Cavanagh, and Tyrone in general, the foul to slow down play is the first thing on the mind, not winning the ball with a tackle.

Hanbury, and hurling in general, tend to go for the ball or the tackle first, then the foul if needs be.

Essentially, while both sports are cynical, there's a difference in how hurling and football approach winning the ball and tackling. That's probably why football cynicism tends to get more flak, football cynicism is more pre-determined and a tactic, hurling cynicism is more in the heat of the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

The hurling pundits generally do focus on the good points but do so to the detriment of any proper analysis. The die hards in the hurling community can't see anything wrong no matter what happens on the pitch. For me, it's sickening, embarrassing and hilarious in equal measures.

The incident in the first half when a Galway lad pulled his hurl that led to a few minutes stoppage wasn't dwelt on either even though imo, hitting someone with a hurl is about as cowardly as it gets and is far worse than a lad collapsing after getting hit by a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Grueller wrote: »

Joey Holden did the same last weekend (on Dunford I think),
    Rightly or wrongly it happens regularly - perhaps an argument for a black card in hurling

Hanbury only did what Tipp did up the other end stopping Donnellan, and saving the subsequent penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Grueller

Joey Holden did the same last weekend (on Dunford I think),
    Rightly or wrongly it happens regularly - perhaps an argument for a black card in hurling

Hanbury only did what Tipp did up the other end stopping Donnellan, and saving the subsequent penalty

Yup. Like I said. They were 100% right to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

randd1 wrote: »
    Cynical, yes, but you get the impression with Cavanagh, and Tyrone in general, the foul to slow down play is the first thing on the mind, not winning the ball with a tackle.

Hanbury, and hurling in general, tend to go for the ball or the tackle first, then the foul if needs be.

Essentially, while both sports are cynical, there's a difference in how hurling and football approach winning the ball and tackling. That's probably why football cynicism tends to get more flak, football cynicism is more pre-determined and a tactic, hurling cynicism is more in the heat of the moment.

Hurling cynicism doesn't work as well as it does in football.It's piss easy to score the vast majority of frees in hurling whereas anything outside 30 metres in football is missable and therefore cynicism in football get a greater reward.Hurlers are not really any different than footballers it's just that it doesn't pay as much to be cynical in hurling as it does in football.

I always hated this idea that the media put out constantly that hurlers are giants of men and have great sportsmanship and wouldn't dare being dishonest on the field and footballers are nothing but dirty cheats (even Tomas O'Se did it in a fairly sh1te article he wrote for the indo this summer).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

He got the red card for his assault on Colm Cavanagh. Listen to the commentary and watch the incident.

Well wacko,

Are you now willing to accept why Hughes was sent off?

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=242775

Hughes red was for McCann hair tousle
    18 August 2015

Monaghan's Darren Hughes.
    ©INPHO/Cathal Noonan.
    It has been confirmed that Monaghan's Darren Hughes was sent off for striking Tiernan McCann.

The Scotstown clubman was dismissed late in last Saturday week's controversial All-Ireland quarter-final Croke Park when he brushed his fingers fleetingly through McCann's hair and the Tyrone man went to ground.

There were suggestions that perhaps Hughes was in fact sent off for an earlier challenge on Colm Cavanagh but Monaghan County Board has confirmed to The Irish News that their player was dismissed by referee Marty Duffy for "striking with the hand".

McCann has had an eight-week ban proposed for diving and his appeal will be heard this week ahead of Sunday's semi-final against Kerry.

Meanwhile, Monaghan have made a submission to have Hughes' red card rescinded.

dixiefly wrote: »
    Well wacko,

Are you now willing to accept why Hughes was sent off?

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=242775

Hughes red was for McCann hair tousle
    18 August 2015

Monaghan's Darren Hughes.
    ©INPHO/Cathal Noonan.
    It has been confirmed that Monaghan's Darren Hughes was sent off for striking Tiernan McCann.

The Scotstown clubman was dismissed late in last Saturday week's controversial All-Ireland quarter-final Croke Park when he brushed his fingers fleetingly through McCann's hair and the Tyrone man went to ground.

There were suggestions that perhaps Hughes was in fact sent off for an earlier challenge on Colm Cavanagh but Monaghan County Board has confirmed to The Irish News that their player was dismissed by referee Marty Duffy for "striking with the hand".

McCann has had an eight-week ban proposed for diving and his appeal will be heard this week ahead of Sunday's semi-final against Kerry.

Meanwhile, Monaghan have made a submission to have Hughes' red card rescinded.

I think he was going to get a black for the tackle on Cavanagh so he was walking anyway, but unless he was already booked that wasn't a red card offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It leaves the question open about whether Hughes should have received a red card for the McCann incident or not.

In the last couple of seasons we've had the GAA sort of messing around with its rules with incidents like Connolly in 11, Keegan in 14. Kevin Keane is now appealing his red card.

These were all players guilty of breaching the "strike or attempt to strike rule" which the GAA found various ways to get around.

One school of thought would be to crack down further and change it to something like "raise hand aggressively against opponent" or similar so ruffling a guy's hair while involved in "an argument" would be covered as it's hard to draw the line otherwise.

I'd go the other way personally and add something like "due regard will be given to mitigating circumstances" and set a panel to review incidents like these. Connolly would then possibly be let off because he was unfairly targeted, provoked, defended himself and the 'victim' dived.

Keegan and Keane would get retrospective yellow/black cards for 'petulance' or similar rather than red cards for striking when there was no intent or possibility to do damage.

Refs get way more scope to apply the rules with common sense in rugby to good effect. Someone panning out an opponent with a punch would get the line, Kevin Keane would never get anything in a million years and rightly so.

Instead we get constant howling for "consistency" which can only come from rigid application of imperfect rules from the same people who later howl when these same rules are rigidly applied to their players.

• Advertisement

Hughes was trying to wind McCann up so he'd lash out.

Advertisement