Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Valley Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Was in the park today, first time in months and was pleasantly surprised with how popular and busy it was. I think all those saplings will look great in a few years. Pedestrian access obviously still the big problem and unfinished paths in this weather.

1 thing its sorely missing is a playground, the outdoor gym has become the playground which would actually stop people who would use it from using it.

In the next decade it will mature into a great amenity

Huge potential but it needs enormous investment. Doesn't seem to be anything in the way of plans aside from half moon lane access and the access bridge over the south ring, which is a shame as the park still has a post apocalypse wasteland feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It'll need 30 - 50 years to bed in as a really nice park (think Stephens Green or one of them). At the moment it still feels like a dump converted to a park but there is potential there. Its a destination though because you can only access it by car/bike. Its not a place you pass through or stop off for a coffee.

Still not sure why they can't extend the path under the road from harvey norman side, that would solve a lot of issues. There is 4 potential access point right now, 1 is open, half moon could be opened and have gards present for a few weeks issuing fines for parking it should only be pedestrian access.

Was going past hartys quay today and a gard was out writing tickets, surely the issue there is lack of parking for one of the few greenways within the city that people flock to. Maybe not as many would be driving to it if they had other options that they could walk to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Still not sure why they can't extend the path under the road from harvey norman side, that would solve a lot of issues. There is 4 potential access point right now, 1 is open, half moon could be opened and have gards present for a few weeks issuing fines for parking it should only be pedestrian access.

Was going past hartys quay today and a gard was out writing tickets, surely the issue there is lack of parking for one of the few greenways within the city that people flock to. Maybe not as many would be driving to it if they had other options that they could walk to

That access point is part of the master plan. When they get all 4 entrances open, you will get a lot of through traffic. That would give the potential for a coffee shop or two. A kids playground is pretty badly needed. Some of the paths need to be cleaned up as they get very muddy when it rains. A bit of a cleanup would make a huge difference. Aside from that the public basketball/ 5 a side court in douglas community park has been an outrageous success. I don't see why you couldn't add 3 or 4 similar courts in TVP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

A bit of progress, council has approved the entrance on Half Moon Lane.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1325874771712745478

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    That access point is part of the master plan. When they get all 4 entrances open, you will get a lot of through traffic. That would give the potential for a coffee shop or two. A kids playground is pretty badly needed. Some of the paths need to be cleaned up as they get very muddy when it rains. A bit of a cleanup would make a huge difference. Aside from that the public basketball/ 5 a side court in douglas community park has been an outrageous success. I don't see why you couldn't add 3 or 4 similar courts in TVP?

plus Douglas park now will have an outdoor gym.

The playground in Douglas is fantastic too, it depresses me when i bring the kids to the Lough to see the ducks and swans and the pathetic playground there compared to Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

plus Douglas park now will have an outdoor gym.

The playground in Douglas is fantastic too, it depresses me when i bring the kids to the Lough to see the ducks and swans and the pathetic playground there compared to Douglas.

The playground at the Lough is pretty grim, although the outdoor gym at the Douglas park has been there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Doherty and Co. will have blood on their hands... Saw on twitter that some kids on bikes were nearly blown away crossing the South Link the other day, trying to get into the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

I listened into a council meeting regarding the marina. The conversation was on the possibility of asphalting the area outside the rowing club and creating another car park. The cllrs by large are very very concerned about ensuring people can drive to amenities. Like the ability to park gets a huge chunk of time. Same council that attempted to convert Oliver Plunkett St. into a drive through during Lockdown 1, then refused to give it back to pedestrians before doing a survey of how that would impact essential workers parking....:confused: We are a city run by an old aged grumpy suburbanites.

Speaks volumes that you can only turn left leaving the park. Its literally tailored for heading back out to the suburbs via the South Link.

I've accessed this park by bike. Leaving it is..... fun. I'll continue to do it because I'm so bored this lockdown and can't get over the fact that a city park is inaccessible to local city residents.

The health and safety line is utter crap. All you have to do is look at how they are f*cked up the junction on the centre park road to know its an excuse. That turns into a chaotic mess of confusion.

• Advertisement

User142 wrote: »
    We are a city run by an old aged grumpy suburbanites.

Nail on the head.

Except, it's worse, Doherty lives in Belgooly or Riverstick or somewhere.

Where's the current LM living?

Mick Finn may not have been any good, but at least he lives in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

opus wrote: »

All the pedestrian paths seem to be coming from the southside. Terry must not want any norries in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭sporina

Have walked with friends there but i don't enjoy it - the teddys and toys hanging on the fences lining the dump give me the heebie jeebies.. over active imagination perhaps but one the less.. and era there's just nothing pretty to look at..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    All the pedestrian paths seem to be coming from the southside. Terry must not want any norries in the park.

The North side are more than welcome to Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cape Clear wrote: »
    The North side are more than welcome to Terry.

No thanks.
    We have the Glen River Valley. You can keep Terry and the park!

sporina wrote: »
    Have walked with friends there but i don't enjoy it - the teddys and toys hanging on the fences lining the dump give me the heebie jeebies.. over active imagination perhaps but one the less.. and era there's just nothing pretty to look at..

It is a bit bleak for sure, I think they can't plant too much (anything?) as it might puncture the layer over the landfill.
    No thanks.

I like them both, Glen River has more charm for sure. I've a vested interest in TVP as the parkrun event that was so popular there hasn't a hope of getting permission to resume 'til the Half Moon lane entrance is open & it's looking to me that won't be 'til next year at this stage :(

It's now over 5 years since the council cancelled it, there were 500+ participants at the last event. So much for Cork healthy cities initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

opus wrote: »
    It is a bit bleak for sure, I think they can't plant too much (anything?) as it might puncture the layer over the landfill.

I like them both, Glen River has more charm for sure. I've a vested interest in TVP as the parkrun event that was so popular there hasn't a hope of getting permission to resume 'til the Half Moon lane entrance is open & it's looking to me that won't be 'til next year at this stage :(

It's now over 5 years since the council cancelled it, there were 500+ participants at the last event. So much for Cork healthy cities initiative.

I know, the half moon lane situation is beyond ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭sporina

No thanks.

didn't know about this park... can you do a decent walk there? like a loop?
    I see there's a car park on google maps.. must check it out

This is the 5k parkrun course, one short 1k lap followed by two longer 2k laps.

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    didn't know about this park... can you do a decent walk there? like a loop?
    I see there's a car park on google maps.. must check it out

It's actually a pretty decent park, very mature and great to leave kids roam. There's a few loops worth a roam.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ekano

There is a huge increase in people using TVP these days. It's great to see. However with the social distancing should there be signs saying stay left/pass right? I shouldn't get annoyed but it gets me a bit these days!

Anyone agree?

Ekano wrote: »
    There is a huge increase in people using TVP these days. It's great to see. However with the social distancing should there be signs saying stay left/pass right? I shouldn't get annoyed but it gets me a bit these days!

Anyone agree?

I haven't made it in there yet as the gate is locked.

If the Council have so little respect for Cork people that they can't make the park accessible, then you hardly think they care about your safety inside either.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Anyone agree?

Went a few times this week as I was staying locally and even though there were off peak times relatively speaking people had no interest in keeping left or right. Those signs would be great but in general why don't people just keep left or right?! Really nice park though, a great amenity if you can access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Anyone agree?

Absolutely!!! And not just TVP obviously, but every other public amenity and park too. It's easy to do and would save a lot of hassle.

Anyone agree?

Ah lads, put signs up everywhere, can people use cop on? Surely you'll have the same argument about signage down the marina?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Anyone agree?

Those signs are up everywhere in the regional park in ballincollig and half the people in there take no notice whatsoever.

Mardyke wrote: »
    I haven't made it in there yet as the gate is locked.

If the Council have so little respect for Cork people that they can't make the park accessible, then you hardly think they care about your safety inside either.

Amazingly the pedestrian entrance on Half Moon lane used to be open & was heavily used on Sat mornings 'til lunchtime when the partrun was there briefly 4/5 years ago. Didn't cause any problems at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

.red. wrote: »
    Those signs are up everywhere in the regional park in ballincollig and half the people in there take no notice whatsoever.

Pedestrians really don't do "keeping to one side" in general.

They're generally not "traffic" minded, focusing on getting from origin to destination. They're roaming freely. Pedestrians are mostly "drifting", rather than "staying in lane". Pedestrians stop and look at stuff, stop to chat when they see people they know, stop to take a break, stop to wait for small children and dogs etc. They're not like regularised traffic at all.

Signs and road markings and the likes aren't going to work. Even basic things like visually impaired people, illiterate people etc are issues.

So yeah, "walk like this" signs don't work, almost as a rule. It's a major reason that both Cork councils' latest designs lumping cycling and walking onto "shared space" is such a problem. It's all money into the bin, frankly.

I'm not saying that anyone here has an incorrect motivation, it'd obviously be great if people obeyed signs. But I'm very confident they won't.

Advertisement