Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone make me a programme

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Footballlers do a lot of strength and conditioning.

Improving strength and conditioning in tandem.

Pretty much what you're looking to do.

I know but I'm no where near fit so that is my main objective. Then once I'm some bit fit il go back doing weights

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Honestly I want to do it right. That's why I'm asking so many questions, I want all the proper info. Once I know how to workout my whole body properly il try to make a programme and stick to it :)
    I'm going to have to put this programme on hold for a while I'm afraid. I done the squats Monday and went to soccer training tonight and could barely move. Thighs were still killing me :(
    It's weird tho when I do arm curls I feel nothing the next day.

I need to focus on getting fit anyway for soccer so il have to put the weights off for a little while

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Ya I went to soccer and realised I won't be able to do both. For now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I know but I'm no where near fit so that is my main objective. Then once I'm some bit fit il go back doing weights

My point is they're not mutuallly exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

As the title says would anyone make out a weights programme for me please.

I have a bench, dumbells and a curl bar and wana gain upper body muscle.

Thanks

What plates you have for the dumbbells?
    As in, are they adjustable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Look up youtube for stretching routines and do them every day, regardless of what training you are doing. The stretching will cross over from both squats and deadlifts to football.

And training legs will help with playing football. Chances of you winning the ball in those 1 on 1 situations will be higher.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    What plates you have for the dumbbells?
    As in, are they adjustable?

Ya I can take them off the bar. They are the vinyl ones tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

If your serious about football weight training is not only supportive but absolutlely required IMO.

I play football at least 3 times a week and I'm in the gym 4 mornings a week working out, football gives me my cardio and keeps me fit, weight training keeps me strong and focused, diet is supported and altered depending on the day to give me the right amount of calories and energy.

I've gained weight , muscle , strength and fitness at the same time. It's about planning , management and dedication.

It won't slow your progress or stop you getting fit, I even play football on leg days and it's fine.

Above poster is right , it improves everything , shot power , shoulder strength , keeping the ball , winning the ball , stamina , pace , explosiveness...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Daith wrote: »
    For me personally it was because there was an easy to use app I could use on my phone to track everything. Automatically update the weight I was to lift, what exercises to do, kept track of reps etc.

Now admitted it's paint by numbers but it gave a good starting point and I could then look at Hanleys stuff (or others) and go yeah I could work this out myself now.

What's the app called?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What's the app called?

The app is called stronglifts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I'm going to have to put this programme on hold for a while I'm afraid. I done the squats Monday and went to soccer training tonight and could barely move. Thighs were still killing me :(

First time squatting you will be crippled for a week. Just keep at it, its never as bad as the first set of leg doms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'd start off with bodyweight exercises

lunges
    squats
    single leg deadlifts
    push ups
    pull ups
    horizontal pull ups

then you can start adding weight to the exercises
    single leg exercises are easy to do with dumbbells and actually are more sport specific than two legged exercises
    so
    Work Out 1
    warm up (eg skipping)
    stretch
    some core work - 30 second hold plank & side plank, russian twists x 30. 3 rounds
    then something like 3x8 of lunges, 3x8 of pull ups and then add in something like shoulder press, dumbbell curls or chair dips to work those upper body muscles you mentioned in your first post
    cool down

Work Out 2
    warm up
    stretch
    core work - bridging 3 x 8 reps, spiderman walks, hollow holds 30 secs. 3 rounds altogether
    squats (bodyweight or weighted), horizontal pull ups, push ups and add in a few upper body exercises as above

keep it simple.

Advertisement