Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone make me a programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Yeah, just put shoulder stuff and Overhead Press into your bench day.

Ok thanks il start on Monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Instead of making up your own programme as a beginner, you should do stronglifts for about 6 months until you know what's what, that's pretty much what it's for. It's not the be-all-end-all, but it'll give you a good base for everything else and if you want to get stronger you can do Hanley's programme that was posted above or if you want to get bigger then you can add in bodybuilding exercises (not that doing stronglifts and eating properly won't do that anyway)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Nichololas wrote: »
    Instead of making up your own programme as a beginner, you should do stronglifts for about 6 months until you know what's what, that's pretty much what it's for. It's not the be-all-end-all, but it'll give you a good base for everything else and if you want to get stronger you can do Hanley's programme that was posted above or if you want to get bigger then you can add in bodybuilding exercises (not that doing stronglifts and eating properly won't do that anyway)

What's with all the love for strong lifts? It's a pastiche of earlier 5x5 programmes.

The program linked earlier, as designed by Hanley, is perfect for the OP.

OP, do the program Hanley wrote.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

It doesn't really matter what program the OP does, as the aim for a beginner is to just learn the correct movements and build up a routine of training 3-4x a week consistently. If he gets this from stronglifts, then he's succeeded in his first few months.

Personally, I prefer Hanley's program because there's good periodization in there, as you're starting at 75% with lots of volume, and gradually up the intensity towards 90%, so you get used to lifting heavy weight aswell as lighter weight for lots of reps.

Stronglifts or any 5x5 program can be quite boring in the sense that every day is the same 5x5 and you only move up the weight gradually, and going 6months without visually seeing your 1rm increase might be a little demotivating for a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,157 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The OP also appears to have some equipment limitations also.

Get lifting, make sure the movement choice is balanced and it's better than jawing endlessly over which program / approach might be better imo.

• Advertisement

I've just started today.

Here's what I came up with

Day 1.
    Dumbell squats
    Barbell squats
    Upright rows

Day 2.
    Deadlifts
    Rows
    Pullups
    Arm curls

Day 3.
    Bench press
    Flies
    Overhead dumbell tricep press
    Close grip bench press

I'm not looking to be an animal or get massive. Just want to tone up most of my body. Saying that tho when I start seeing results il probably be addicted lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

rottie 11 wrote: »
    I've just started today.

Here's what I came up with

Day 1.
    Dumbell squats
    Barbell squats
    Upright rows

Day 2.
    Deadlifts
    Rows
    Pullups
    Arm curls

Day 3.
    Bench press
    Flies
    Close grip bench press

I'm not looking to be an animal or get massive. Just want to tone up most of my body. Saying that tho when I start seeing results il probably be addicted lol
    stick at it dude and post up vid of the squats and deadlifts if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Day 1.
    Barbell squats
    Dumbell squats
    Lunges/Split Squats
    Overhead Press
    Upright rows

Day 2.
    Deadlifts
    Rows
    Pullups
    Arm curls

Day 3.
    Bench press
    Close grip bench press
    Flies

This is a bit more balanced than what you had. Shoulder work (Over Head Press + Upright rows) can be done on day3 either.

Transform wrote: »
    stick at it dude and post up vid of the squats and deadlifts if you can

Il try my best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Brian? wrote: »
    What's with all the love for strong lifts? It's a pastiche of earlier 5x5 programmes.

5x5s are simple linear progression compound programs that are easy to follow and have a mountain of research, info, websites etc devoted to them. Why wouldn't they be recommended? No need to faff about with 70% of 1 rep maxes, for a beginner its easier to just get stuck in and increase by X each session.

• Advertisement

Day 1.
    Barbell squats
    Dumbell squats
    Lunges/Split Squats
    Upright rows

Day 2.
    Deadlifts
    Rows
    Pullups
    Arm curls

Day 3.
    Bench press
    Close grip bench press
    Flies

This is a bit more balanced than what you had. Shoulder work (Over Head Press + Upright rows) can be done on day3 either.

Thanks man

Is wide grip or close grip better for the upright rows? Which hits the traps more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Cos it's simple. as a beginner that is really important. knowing that I can go into the gym looking at only hitting the squat rack and doing 5 basic easy to learn exercises. 1 or 2 pieces of equipment max, (bench/Rack and a bar)

When I first started I read multiple pages on beginner routines. some having 15+ exercises a week. most working off a % of my 1 rep maximum.

I was a beginner, I didn't have a 1 rep maximum, or if I did it was so low that 70% of it meant I needed to do a different exercise or needed another different piece of equipment. any routine that had me hitting multiple stations would go in one ear and out the other, I had no interest in doing a circuit of the gym everytime. It just simply wasnt intriguing me.

While I have no doubt hanleys program is excellent it lacks simplicity.
    Do a main lift, then do an exercise like the main lift then do assistance exercises. beginners don't know what those exercises are. strong lifts makes a big point of being only 3 different exercises a visit. Because beginners are intimidated by the fact everyone else seems to know loads of different exercises for every situation.

Running a progression is complicated too. I have no interest in that I want to remember 1 number and make that go up.
    Plus the fact that at that stage in the process the numbers arent going up because i'm getting stronger they are going up because I am getting better at lifting them.
    Physically a beginner is probably strong enough to squat their bodyweight, but they don't know how to co-ordinate their limbs and muscles to apply that strength to the bar. You learn that as you go, calculating a maximum each week gets in the way of that and puts the focus on lifting the most rather than learning to lift correctly.

In an ideal world everyone would simply go to Hanley and have him teach that process to us, calculating our maximums and teaching us form and using his wealth of experience to choose the best exercises for us. but in reality that ain't gonna happen.

Strong lifts gets past all of that and gets you moving. Personally I don't think it's the best beginner program. I prefer starting strength but you can't expect an outright beginner to go and do power cleans off the bat.

Besides, anyone who has gone from unfit to fit knows that it makes no difference what you actually do to get started as long as you start something. If a simple program gets that happening then that choice, no matter if it gets the best results or not is the best choice. Once they have been on it for a few months and have learned enough then an alternative program which is a bit more involved can be given.

If it wasn't for finding starting strength (actually one of the variations from the wiki) I wouldn't have set foot in a gym. and when I first read the strong lifts blog and I realised that 90% of what always put me off about training was complete fluff and I didn't have to do that. Now I look forward to training. and I know enough to add exercises to my routine, I know where I am weak and I can plan weeks ahead into my progression. I even have plans to add some body building exercises into my routine after I plateau again (:eek::eek::eek:)

So SL might not be original, or even the best choice, but if it can cut through a lot of noise and actually get people under the bar then it's still worth recommending. actually, recommend icf 5x5 since I know you will want to do curls.

5x5s are simple linear progression compound programs that are easy to follow and have a mountain of research, info, websites etc devoted to them. Why wouldn't they be recommended? No need to faff about with 70% of 1 rep maxes, for a beginner its easier to just get stuck in and increase by X each session.

The question is "why the love for strong lifts?" There are much better 5x5 program's out there IMO, that don't have the internet following.

they/them/theirs

Cos it's simple. as a beginner that is really important. knowing that I can go into the gym looking at only hitting the squat rack and doing 5 basic easy to learn exercises. 1 or 2 pieces of equipment max, (bench/Rack and a bar)

When I first started I read multiple pages on beginner routines. some having 15+ exercises a week. most working off a % of my 1 rep maximum.

I was a beginner, I didn't have a 1 rep maximum, or if I did it was so low that 70% of it meant I needed to do a different exercise or needed another different piece of equipment. any routine that had me hitting multiple stations would go in one ear and out the other, I had no interest in doing a circuit of the gym everytime. It just simply wasnt intriguing me.

While I have no doubt hanleys program is excellent it lacks simplicity.
    Do a main lift, then do an exercise like the main lift then do assistance exercises. beginners don't know what those exercises are. strong lifts makes a big point of being only 3 different exercises a visit. Because beginners are intimidated by the fact everyone else seems to know loads of different exercises for every situation.

Running a progression is complicated too. I have no interest in that I want to remember 1 number and make that go up.
    Plus the fact that at that stage in the process the numbers arent going up because i'm getting stronger they are going up because I am getting better at lifting them.
    Physically a beginner is probably strong enough to squat their bodyweight, but they don't know how to co-ordinate their limbs and muscles to apply that strength to the bar. You learn that as you go, calculating a maximum each week gets in the way of that and puts the focus on lifting the most rather than learning to lift correctly.

In an ideal world everyone would simply go to Hanley and have him teach that process to us, calculating our maximums and teaching us form and using his wealth of experience to choose the best exercises for us. but in reality that ain't gonna happen.

Strong lifts gets past all of that and gets you moving. Personally I don't think it's the best beginner program. I prefer starting strength but you can't expect an outright beginner to go and do power cleans off the bat.

Besides, anyone who has gone from unfit to fit knows that it makes no difference what you actually do to get started as long as you start something. If a simple program gets that happening then that choice, no matter if it gets the best results or not is the best choice. Once they have been on it for a few months and have learned enough then an alternative program which is a bit more involved can be given.

If it wasn't for finding starting strength (actually one of the variations from the wiki) I wouldn't have set foot in a gym. and when I first read the strong lifts blog and I realised that 90% of what always put me off about training was complete fluff and I didn't have to do that. Now I look forward to training. and I know enough to add exercises to my routine, I know where I am weak and I can plan weeks ahead into my progression. I even have plans to add some body building exercises into my routine after I plateau again (:eek::eek::eek:)

So SL might not be original, or even the best choice, but if it can cut through a lot of noise and actually get people under the bar then it's still worth recommending. actually, recommend icf 5x5 since I know you will want to do curls.

That's all true. But it doesn't tell me why so many people are recommending strong lifts over other 5x5 programmes. I'm not saying it's **** and don't so it, I'm just confused by the popularity of something that's neither the original or the best 5x5.

they/them/theirs

The question is "why the love for strong lifts?" There are much better 5x5 program's out there IMO, that don't have the internet following.
    Such as? There isn't really anything that can go wrong with stronglifts for a beginner and it was the first one that popped into my head.

That's all true. But it doesn't tell me why so many people are recommending strong lifts over other 5x5 programmes. I'm not saying it's **** and don't so it, I'm just confused by the popularity of something that's neither the original or the best 5x5.

Because out of them all (the ones I've read at least) it is the most simple, easiest to manage and has the most information available written about it. After that it's exponential. It was recommended to me so I recommend it to lots of people.

Plus the owner is prolifically self promoting and Marketing savvy. So his presence spreads more so than others.

Such as? There isn't really anything that can go wrong with stronglifts for a beginner and it was the first one that popped into my head.

Starting strength.

they/them/theirs

Starting strength.

Very similar, except he has power cleans in. For a beginner its easier to leave them out until you get used to some of the simpler movements first. If i didnt have a brain fart when i was posting i would have suggested looking at it though, except i couldnt remember the name of it for the life of me.

Very similar, except he has power cleans in. For a beginner its easier to leave them out until you get used to some of the simpler movements first. If i didnt have a brain fart when i was posting i would have suggested looking at it though, except i couldnt remember the name of it for the life of me.

Power cleans are replaced by rows in
    Later versions of SS. Learning to power clean is a great idea though.

I'm off to power clean, it's been a while.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 vivab13

Hi everyone, didn't think a new thread necessary but after doing a bit of research the consensus is a 5x5 programme is best for a gym newbie like myself. However, I am playing football (soccer) at a decent level which involves 4 trainings a week at the moment for pre season. My goal is to get stronger for football (physical side of the game I can get pushed off ball, lose aerial battles etc.) Would a 5x5 programme be suitable and would 2 or 3 gym sessions a week be best? Any advice appreciated.

vivab13 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, didn't think a new thread necessary but after doing a bit of research the consensus is a 5x5 programme is best for a gym newbie like myself. However, I am playing football (soccer) at a decent level which involves 4 trainings a week at the moment for pre season. My goal is to get stronger for football (physical side of the game I can get pushed off ball, lose aerial battles etc.) Would a 5x5 programme be suitable and would 2 or 3 gym sessions a week be best? Any advice appreciated.

Starting strength was specifically written for high school american football players. Most of the relevant info is on the starting strength wiki. Anything that applies to SS will also go for most other 5x5 programs.

I'm going to have to put this programme on hold for a while I'm afraid. I done the squats Monday and went to soccer training tonight and could barely move. Thighs were still killing me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A supplement called MTFU will sort that out

A supplement called MTFU will sort that out

It's weird tho when I do arm curls I feel nothing the next day.

I need to focus on getting fit anyway for soccer so il have to put the weights off for a little while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

For me personally it was because there was an easy to use app I could use on my phone to track everything. Automatically update the weight I was to lift, what exercises to do, kept track of reps etc.

Now admitted it's paint by numbers but it gave a good starting point and I could then look at Hanleys stuff (or others) and go yeah I could work this out myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,157 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I need to focus on getting fit anyway for soccer so il have to put the weights off for a little while

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

The benefit of it for a newbie program is its simplicity and that it is popular; there's plenty of information about it, and plenty of other people to discuss it with. There are millions of [3|5]x5 programs, for a beginner (I think) it's more important to stick to one program, rather than reading up on a bunch of others which inevitably turns into an "I took day 1 from program A, day 2 from program B, and then combined and added 2 types of biceps curls for day 3" : Stronglifts or starting strength, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Footballlers do a lot of strength and conditioning.

Improving strength and conditioning in tandem.

Pretty much what you're looking to do.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

?

Advertisement