Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford vs Kilkenny AI semi final 2015 *MOD WARNING #187*

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭threeball

Very Bored wrote: »
    That's why Galway got slaughtered by Kilkenny in the Leinster Final. I'm not saying Galway can't beat Tipperary or Kilkenny, but to suggest they'd be 50/50 matches is way wide of the mark. Sixty/forty maybe.

I said Tipp/Galway was a 50/50 game not KK/Galway or KK/Tipp and Galway didn't get slaughtered in the Leinster Final. They were beaten like Waterford today but played poorly. Whichever team ends up against KK has a real chance of coming away with the spoils.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Draw
    It was a day when the Kilkenny forward line didn't function as well as you'd expect by their own high standards.

I'd even include Reid and Hogan in that, both missed some scoreable chances.

However, Kilkenny through sheer work rate and ability to hook, block and fight for every dirty ball, still had enough to beat Waterford comfortably.

Even with 7 backs, Waterford seemed to have awful trouble clearing their lines, same problem Galway backs had in the Leinster final etc.

They are quite a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Draw
    threeball wrote: »
    I said Tipp/Galway was a 50/50 game not KK/Galway or KK/Tipp and Galway didn't get slaughtered in the Leinster Final. They were beaten like Waterford today but played poorly. Whichever team ends up against KK has a real chance of coming away with the spoils.

They got beaten 1-25 to 2-15. If you want to split hairs, we'll say they were well beaten, but it certainly wasn't close. I still say Tipperary v Galway is not a 50/50 match, Tipperary are better and more experienced than Galway, though that does not mean that they are sure to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

QuinDixie wrote: »
    Game played out exactly like tipp and waterford.
    Waterford hopefully will take from the tipp and kk games, Its easy to look defensively good and keep a game tight when you are playing 10 defenders.
    If waterford are to WIN an all ireland they will need to change their tactics, but in doing so they will need to need find 2-3 forwards.

Tipp are the real winners after today.
    Tipp the real winners?

Haven't even got to the final yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Very Bored wrote: »
    That's why Galway got slaughtered by Kilkenny in the Leinster Final. I'm not saying Galway can't beat Tipperary or Kilkenny, but to suggest they'd be 50/50 matches is way wide of the mark. Sixty/forty maybe.

To state that 50/50 is way wide of the mark, but then to suggest it's 60/40 contradicts your first statement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Draw
    I was a little surprised that Maurice Shanahan didn't go for goal when Waterford got a close-in free towards the end, about 5 minutes to go..
    They needed a goal and weren't exactly get a lot of chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hard to luck to the waterford lads yesterday but theyve done us proud this year. best of luck to kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coxeyboy92

kk for the all ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Kilkenny win
    I was a little surprised that Maurice Shanahan didn't go for goal when Waterford got a close-in free towards the end, about 5 minutes to go..
    They needed a goal and weren't exactly get a lot of chances.

He looked over at the management three times, and even put up his hand to ask them what to do and they just had this discussion for about 2 minutes without ever indicating to him what to do. And it was clear, we had practically no chance of a goal but we still had to go for it. Really pissed me off on their part that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Buckley MOTM on Sky

He's father is a cork man originally
    A superb player everything you want in a hurler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

He's father is a cork man originally
    A superb player everything you want in a hurler

Mothers from Kerry. Good mix of nature and nurture.

citykat wrote: »
    Mothers from Kerry. Good mix of nature and nurture.

From an interview Buckley gave to the GAA.ie earlier this year:
    GAA.ie: Do you have much of a family connection with Dicksboro?

CB: No, Dad is from Cork and played with a club in Castletownroche so his hurling career never really took off. He played underage, but hurling wouldn’t be too strong down there. Mam is from Urlingford and I have cousins, the Hughes family from Urlingford, who played at minor and U21 level, but there is no real history to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

From an interview Buckley gave to the GAA.ie earlier this year:

Got my info from the KP. In hindsight, the journo (from Kerry) might have been making mischief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Pudders wrote: »
    Tipp the real winners?

Haven't even got to the final yet.

what I meant was Tipp will beat Galway, it will be close but Tipp will have enough for them.
    And yesterday showed some of the kittens are looking their age and that full back line are there for the taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭randd1

what I meant was Tipp will beat Galway, it will be close but Tipp will have enough for them.
    And yesterday showed some of the kittens are looking their age and that full back line are there for the taken.

In fairness to that FB line, no-one has done them yet. Pender has made a few appearances this year and has done well in every one of them, and Joey Holden the same.

It also should be noted that while they don't have the playing experience, they're hardly kittens. Most of these guys have a couple of AI winning campaigns behind them as part of the panel, and would have faced regularly the (still at the moment anyway) strongest starting 15 in the country in training. They would have more experience of higher level than say the likes of Clare or Limerick, and Waterford as yesterday proved.

The worry for me wouldn't be ability, physicality, attitude or work ethic, they're more than there in abundance. My worry would be confidence, sometimes lads new to the starting can struggle to assert themselves confidently, and at the highest level that can get you done against the likes of Tipp and an in form Galway. Ability wise, they're more than capable.

And above all else there is Cody. The wouldn't be there if he didn't think they were capable, or ready.

randd1 wrote: »
    In fairness to that FB line, no-one has done them yet. Pender has made a few appearances this year and has done well in every one of them, and Joey Holden the same.

It also should be noted that while they don't have the playing experience, they're hardly kittens. Most of these guys have a couple of AI winning campaigns behind them as part of the panel, and would have faced regularly the (still at the moment anyway) strongest starting 15 in the country in training. They would have more experience of higher level than say the likes of Clare or Limerick, and Waterford as yesterday proved.

The worry for me wouldn't be ability, physicality, attitude or work ethic, they're more than there in abundance. My worry would be confidence, sometimes lads new to the starting can struggle to assert themselves confidently, and at the highest level that can get you done against the likes of Tipp and an in form Galway. Ability wise, they're more than capable.

And above all else there is Cody. The wouldn't be there if he didn't think they were capable, or ready.

kilkenny will beat galway if they get them in the final, but I think Tipp will get there and will beat kilkenny.
    Tipp have improved from last year and will not make the same mistake as last year, this time Hogan and Reid will be man marked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Kilkenny win
    Don't know that there was much evidence that Kilkenny full back line can be gotten at yesterday. Dunford is a really good lad and lightning, but 0-4 was the biggest score he has gotten all year and on a day where Waterford forwards were living off scraps. Somebody in yer back line will have to take responsibility for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

kilkenny will beat galway if they get them in the final, but I think Tipp will get there and will beat kilkenny.
    Tipp have improved from last year and will not make the same mistake as last year, this time Hogan and Reid will be man marked.

Richie Hogan got 2 scores from play in the AI Replay last year and was substituted. TJ got no score from play, KK still won.

Don't know that there was much evidence that Kilkenny full back line can be gotten at yesterday. Dunford is a really good lad and lightning, but 0-4 was the biggest score he has gotten all year and on a day where Waterford forwards were living off scraps. Somebody in yer back line will have to take responsibility for that.
    I'd agree with that

Waterford had no fast ball or creative dynamic fluency from defence to attack also and kk dominated the possession in the second half when they upped the intensity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 RockyMills

I'd agree with that

Waterford had no fast ball or creative dynamic fluency from defence to attack also and kk dominated the possession in the second half when they upped the intensity

You're wrong, Waterford had 49% possession in the 2nd half. Kilkenny didn't dominate possession at all.

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »
    Richie Hogan got 2 scores from play in the AI Replay last year and was substituted. TJ got no score from play, KK still won.

did you watch both games, if tipp had gone after reid especially the first day, they would be champs last year.

like yesterday, waterford against tipp really marked bubbles and callinan and then yesterday it was like they decided hogan and reid did not deserve the same treatment. Bizarre.
    To beat KK, to stop them playing, you must man mark them. Simple.
    And tipp will do it in the final and win.

RockyMills wrote: »
    You're wrong, Waterford had 49% possession in the 2nd half. Kilkenny didn't dominate possession at all.

No with respect kk dominated the central areas and had total control
    Yeah waterford had lot ball with there sweeper but you can't score much with the ball so deep in your own half hence the poor scoring return from play which to be fair has been evidence in not one but most waterford games this year in league and championship and to be quite frank and honest it's a poor reflection on managment that they didn't change this despite talk after the Munster final they would

They did not and even ten minute to go still no change

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Draw
    did you watch both games, if tipp had gone after reid especially the first day, they would be champs last year.

like yesterday, waterford against tipp really marked bubbles and callinan and then yesterday it was like they decided hogan and reid did not deserve the same treatment. Bizarre.

Simple? You genius, amazed no one else has thought of marking the oppositions best players before now.

Pity people didn't think of this back in 2000 Kilkenny mightn't have won any All Irelands under Cody.

It's obviously all down to opposition not marking the Kilkenny forwards.

I hope Eamon O'Shea isn't reading this thread or else KK are up shít creek without a paddle.

By using the word 'simple' are you referring to how easy it would be to win the match just by man-marking Hogan and Reid, or how easy it would be to actually man-mark them?

Actually, there is no need to answer the above question, as your original logic is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭randd1

If Kilkenny hadn't fannied around in defense in the last 5 minutes when they were four points to the good, and had Richie Power tapped over a point instead of going for goal when we were four points up, Kilkenny would have won the first day. As much as Tipp came back, Kilkenny nearly threw it away. The didn't make that mistake the next time.

All ifs, buts and maybes now, neither side won the first day, and the next day out Kilkenny were much the better side having seen Tipp's weaknesses and exposing them.

As for your point of marking Reid, Tipp did just that last year. The problem there though is Reid is so good at winning his own ball and making smart runs, never mind his physicality and pace, he can be near impossible to mark. As evidenced by the two finals last year, well marked, still influential.

Advertisement