Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford vs Kilkenny AI semi final 2015 *MOD WARNING #187*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Six points not a bad margin, not a hammering, but once KK got the goal you kinda knew they would go on and win it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Draw
    I think Waterford will be very disappointed today. Kilkenny weren't great at all and Waterford always looked second to every ball and looked much looser than the Munster Final. I know this is the second year in a row KK have come through a semi final without getting going but the conditions last year were dreadful.

Lots of poor shooting from both sides today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭letowski

Waterford system seems to just go to bits due to fatigue when playing the top teams. Was the same against Tipp with the lead just being dragged out in the last 10-15mins.

Their distribution was beyond awful too. I mean what manager sends a team out to hit in long high balls down the centre of the KK defence, and have a player like Shane Bennett, 18, competing under. They need to revise it, as someone said it will only go so far, they scored 16 and 17 points v Tipp and KK. Not good enough. They have good young forwards coming through to play more offensively next year.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lads, this thread has been a great read and discussion so far, but a few people coming on with borderline posts, cards will follow if it continues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Draw
    Maybe if they played hurling like it should be they would be better off. They are the Donegal of hurling.

Seriously, look at hurlers like Austin Gleeson. Look at how he runs at you, class in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Kilkenny's style wasn't too much different tbh, their half-back line were very very deep for the most part. They weren't going to let Waterford in for a goal.

Kilkenny just had a little extra up front, better movement, better awareness of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Went along expected lines really. Kilkenny get an early lead, Waterford match them point for point for a long stage and Kilkenny make a burst to secure the win. Never really in any doubt. Waterford made a lot of unnecessary mistakes to help Kilkenny along their way but never looked like a winning team.

Kilkenny will be delighted, job done playing average enough and will be fully tuned for the final again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Six points not a bad margin, not a hammering, but once KK got the goal you kinda knew they would go on and win it

To be fair, kilkenny were hardly playing to their max potential, they were basically coasting for most of the second half, it was obvious.

Draw
    Cody has a lot of work to do if we are to be sharp enough for the final, particularly if its against Tipp. That said, its not like he's not used to getting the players to raise the bar for the final. No offence meant to Waterford, but I do sometimes wonder whether Kilkenny just do enough until the final and reserve something for September.

Waterford just didn't have the experience that could turn their ability into a win. They were somewhat limited today, but there are some lovely hurlers on that team and with experience they could go the extra yard next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Reminded me of munster final. Waterford remained competitive without ever looking like they could win. Good season for them but the rest, they remain a mile off the big 2.

• Advertisement

Draw
    Rightwing wrote: »
    Reminded me of munster final. Waterford remained competitive without ever looking like they could win. Good season for them but the rest, they remain a mile off the big 2.

I have a feeling the big shock of the season is coming next week. There's always at least one per season and lets face it, if its the Cats v the Premier in the final it won't be a shock whoever wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

But not for Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Draw
    MfMan wrote: »
    But not for Galway?

I have a strange feeling Galway are going to beat Tipperary. I don't know why, just there has been no shock this season and there typically would be one per season at least. The funny thing is, if Galway beat both Tipperary and Kilkenny then everyone would go from saying "what a terrible season" to "what a great season".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Draw
    Very Bored wrote: »
    I have a strange feeling Galway are going to beat Tipperary. I don't know why, just there has been no shock this season and there typically would be one per season at least. The funny thing is, if Galway beat both Tipperary and Kilkenny then everyone would go from saying "what a terrible season" to "what a great season".

Won't be any shock if Galway beat tipp. It's a real 50/50

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭threeball

How can you get a shock winner in a 50/50 game. Both teams capable of beating kk in the final too.

Draw
    Won't be any shock if Galway beat tipp. It's a real 50/50
    threeball wrote: »
    How can you get a shock winner in a 50/50 game. Both teams capable of beating kk in the final too.

That's why Galway got slaughtered by Kilkenny in the Leinster Final. I'm not saying Galway can't beat Tipperary or Kilkenny, but to suggest they'd be 50/50 matches is way wide of the mark. Sixty/forty maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Would waterford have been any worse off playing 15 on 15 today? I thought the goal and a few other mistakes at back were a result of too many defenders. I also thought that another ball winner up front might have caused trouble for the KK defense who looked a bit vulnerable at times especially in the first half. Lets face it they will never score goals with that set up. Dropping 10 balls into the the kk keepers hand was another example of hit and hope instead of traditional attacking hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Like I said before the game, Waterford feel inferior to Kilkenny and that aspect alone cost them the game today. They made some very uncharacteristic mistakes that they wouldn't make against other teams. This game was over before it ever started. Waterford are a good team but until the mental block they have against Kilkenny and Tipp goes, they aren't going to beat either team anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭kksaints

Draw
    Patchy enough match today. Lots of errors in the second half in particular by both teams. Waterford did well until about 15 minutes to go where they had to start chasing the game which they simply couldnt do. TJ and Richie Hogan did enough for us to get the win, would be worried if either of those two got injured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Kilkenny win
    Davys Fits wrote: »
    Would waterford have been any worse off playing 15 on 15 today? I thought the goal and a few other mistakes at back were a result of too many defenders. I also thought that another ball winner up front might have caused trouble for the KK defense who looked a bit vulnerable at times especially in the first half. Lets face it they will never score goals with that set up. Dropping 10 balls into the the kk keepers hand was another example of hit and hope instead of traditional attacking hurling.

Last year they conceded 3 goals to Wexford, this year they conceded 3 in the championship. They couldn't score against Kilkenny and Tipp, but hit 5 in the other two matches. The style of play (AND their ability, too often overlooked) has yielded a league title and defeats only to two class teams in fairness.

Not the finished article yet but pretty impressive overall I would have thought. But these match threads I tend to fight are engulfed by negativity almost always.

Draw
    Last year they conceded 3 goals to Wexford, this year they conceded 3 in the championship. They couldn't score against Kilkenny and Tipp, but hit 5 in the other two matches. The style of play (AND their ability, too often overlooked) has yielded a league title and defeats only to two class teams in fairness.

Not the finished article yet but pretty impressive overall I would have thought. But these match threads I tend to fight are engulfed by negativity almost always.

I agree, there is often too much of a knee-jerk reaction. This is a young Waterford team who don't have the players yet who know how to dig in at this stage of the summer. As I said, most teams do not score particularly well against Kilkenny, nor against Tipp, and the benchmark for this season was not today. The benchmark was beating Cork and Dublin relatively comfortably as those are teams Waterford would have lost to last season. Lots still to do, yes, but lots already done.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Kilkenny win
    Intriguing game. KK will be delighted with the win and good tough game. Some of there players looked as though they needed the game. I think there biggest problem for the final is that unlike last year there is not much options on the bench. They will be hoping Richie Power will be fit to at least be on the bench.

As for Waterford they should be delighted with the season they have had and there is lots to look forward too. They have some good young hurlers for the future. One thing they need to realise is that they will never win an All Ireland with that system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Game played out exactly like tipp and waterford.
    Waterford hopefully will take from the tipp and kk games, Its easy to look defensively good and keep a game tight when you are playing 10 defenders.
    If waterford are to WIN an all ireland they will need to change their tactics, but in doing so they will need to need find 2-3 forwards.

Tipp are the real winners after today.

Draw
    Looks like someone needs new shoes...

11846367_10206180937296855_454770326_n.jpg?oh=c99ad4ddebde09f2785b963d128a5dce&oe=55C94953

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

11846367_10206180937296855_454770326_n.jpg?oh=c99ad4ddebde09f2785b963d128a5dce&oe=55C94953

How on earth did that happen? Esp in an All Ireland semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,513 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Today's game was like so many others.
    Waterford to test Kilkenny BUT Kilkenny to win easily enough in the end.
    So predictable.

Draw
    Amprodude wrote: »

New boots could do it. I know Francesco Totti had a boot deal and wore new shoes for a European Championships match and he had to change them at half time because he got horrific blisters. It wasn't exactly the best advert for the new boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Amprodude wrote: »

if only he started in that jersey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Holy fúck! :eek:

That must be incredibly sore. I always suffer with blisters on my feet at the start of the summer when the ground gets hard. Blisters are ridiculously painful. Although Richie probably has a much higher pain threshold than me :D

Very strange that his feet are like that at this stage of the summer. It must be new boots, as another poster suggested.

Advertisement