Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Reverse Hair Washing"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Which cheap brands are SLS free, if you don't mind me asking? My shampoo and conditioner are both SLS free, but they're €15 each. :( Would love to find a good cheap replacement brand!

I'm gonna give this method a go anyways. My hair is shoulder-length, and I'd describe it as combination rather than greasy or dry. Just depends on what it feels like doing on any given day! :rolleyes:

Herbal essence have one & it's fab! Only about €6 although on offer in dunes at the mo!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

Bored_lad wrote: »
    However main conditioners use silicones which coat your hair in a thin layer of silicone to give the impression that it is shiny and soft and healthy. ...

What I think is happening with this technique is that the people finding benefits from it have issues with silicones. By washing after they condition they are removing this layer of silicone and also potentially damaging their hair.

Afraid I can't agree here. I want the silicates out of my hair. They're not something we produce naturally - they're a cosmetic which gives the appearance of health. They don't actually make hair healthy.

For those with thick hair I can understand that silicate conditioner is probably saving them from a life of torture when combing out after washing so this method is probably not good for them.

For those blessed with fine thin hair who are worried about stripping all the oils away, use a baby shampoo. Sebum is nature's conditioner, not silicon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think the important thing is to use this for oily hair only.

Curly hair tends to be drier (you lucky things!) Which is part of why your hair curls (try curl my oily dead straight hair good luck to you! ).

Not sure why people with dry hair are using this method and reporting back their hair was dry and unbrushable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Just tried this. Does not work for me, disaster. Hair is like a birds nest

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

amdublin wrote: »
    I think the important thing is to use this for oily hair only.

Curly hair tends to be drier (you lucky things!) Which is part of why your hair curls (try curl my oily dead straight hair good luck to you! ).

Not sure why people with dry hair are using this method and reporting back their hair was dry and unbrushable.

I have curly hair that's also oily. My hair isn't dry at all. I was able to comb my hair perfectly well after I tried this method, but my hair felt dry. As the day went on it felt less dry but it looked pretty much exactly the same as my hair usually looks so I would say the result on my oily hair was dry to no difference. I already use sulfate free products so I'm probably getting the bests results I can from my usual routine. I thought it was worth a try to see if I could manage to get a couple of days out of one wash without my hair feeling greasy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I have dry curly hair and find they this procedure works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

I tried it and I love it... Usually have to shampoo 2 or 3 times to get hair feeling clean & smooth.. My hair is very long, thick & dry with a small curl in it also prone to frizz... Dyed for over 25 years... Dark red for the last 10 or so!
    I conditioned first with the cheap argan oil stuff you get in the brown bottles... Then washed with Jason anti-dandruff shampoo... (the usual shampoo, use this or Dr. Organics Argan oil shampoo but I usually use a natural conditioner for dry hair but didn't have any!)
    I used the Dr. Organics Argan oil hair serum which I usually do after towel drying.
    Tied hair up in bun to dry which takes HOURS...
    At first felt a bit coarse but as it dried got softer & softer... Was still a bit damp when I went to bed but woke up with lovely soft hair with really nice volume!!
    Only usually wash around once a week as it gets too dry if I wash more but itchy scalp really gets me as does super-dry scalp just after washing... No sign of that now probably cos I was able to finish with the Jason rather than having to use conditioner..
    Will defo try again, thank you op 

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Defo noticed a lot less frizz around top & sides of Head & more volume above all..!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Afraid I can't agree here. I want the silicates out of my hair. They're not something we produce naturally - they're a cosmetic which gives the appearance of health. They don't actually make hair healthy.

For those with thick hair I can understand that silicate conditioner is probably saving them from a life of torture when combing out after washing so this method is probably not good for them.

For those blessed with fine thin hair who are worried about stripping all the oils away, use a baby shampoo. Sebum is nature's conditioner, not silicon.

That's why if you read my post I clearly state silicone gives the illusion of healthy hair and isn't suited for some people so I recommend that they try silicone free conditioner and SLS free shampoo. Don't go attacking people without reading the whole post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Bored_lad wrote: »
    That's why if you read my post I clearly state silicone gives the illusion of healthy hair and isn't suited for some people so I recommend that they try silicone free conditioner and SLS free shampoo. Don't go attacking people without reading the whole post.

I don't think its fair to say ticklebelly7 attacked anyone, just said she didn't agree with your post and she said it pretty nicely. We are allowed to disagree here! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've been doing this for the past few weeks and it really suits my hair which is dry (highlighted) and prone to frizz and greasy roots. Great to read the tip about washing the conditioner out with the shampoo, this hadn't occurred to me so I'll be trying it next wash!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I don't think its fair to say ticklebelly7 attacked anyone, just said she didn't agree with your post and she said it pretty nicely. We are allowed to disagree here! ;)

Except for the fact that she says that she disagrees and wants silicones out of her hair. My whole post was explaining conditioner and shampoo and that not using silicones and SLS may help peoples hair. This is getting silicones out of your hair is it not?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

saw this, thought of ye...

enhanced-buzz-28413-1369822401-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Well I tryed thus today....i have thick dry hair.....made it feel really light, soft n not as frizzy. Also noticed it looks a bit more shiny than usual.

I'll defo try this again....i just think it's gonna be different results for everyone. ...love this kind of discovery s :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Tried this, can't believe it. Amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Which cheap brands are SLS free, if you don't mind me asking? My shampoo and conditioner are both SLS free, but they're €15 each. :( Would love to find a good cheap replacement brand!

L'Oréal "Ever" range is sulphate free and silicone free. There's three versions for different hair types. It's around €8.

I have to agree with Bored_lad though that this does sound a lot like a sulphate/silicone issue.

But whatever works for everyone individually - it's rare to find one of these tips that impresses so many. Definitely not for my dry frizzy curls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Actually just heard about this in the last few weeks and have been doing it, working wonders for my hair. Getting longer out of it between washes and it's so much lighter. I was very sceptical but so glad I tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Been doing this for 2 weeks or so now and can't believe the difference it's made. I'd have thought my hair would be impossible to comb afterwards but it's fine. Feels like there's more volume in my hair and its not as flat and dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Finally tried this today. My hair was definitely much softer and more volume with no frizzy flyaway bits. Very impressed!

My hair was quite greasy this morning and well overdue a wash, so I didn't think it would feel/look properly clean afterwards, but it definitely did! Even moreso than usual.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Finally tried this today. I think its made a difference. I've also started using a tea tree oil shampoo so I don't know if that made a difference too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭idek1

tried this today.. amazing difference. really brought out my natural waves which usually turns to frizz.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I tried this today, and I'm not sure I noticed much difference apart from my hair being a bit more difficult to comb out when still wet.

Are you girls using any styling products after showering? My hair is naturally fine and pretty straight, but without some mousse it can look quite dowdy. So while I liked how my hair looked today, I can't be sure that it was down to the mousse or the reverse washing!

lazygal wrote: »
    Finally tried this today. I think its made a difference. I've also started using a tea tree oil shampoo so I don't know if that made a difference too.

do you mind me asking where you got the tea tree oil shampoo? use tea tree oil on my face and find it fab

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I bought a Kelkin one I randomly saw in a pharmacy. I have found it great so far. I'm sure health food shops would have it.

lazygal wrote: »
    I bought a Kelkin one I randomly saw in a pharmacy. I have found it great so far. I'm sure health food shops would have it.

thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

jokettle wrote: »
    I tried this today, and I'm not sure I noticed much difference apart from my hair being a bit more difficult to comb out when still wet.

Are you girls using any styling products after showering? My hair is naturally fine and pretty straight, but without some mousse it can look quite dowdy. So while I liked how my hair looked today, I can't be sure that it was down to the mousse or the reverse washing!

I just use Kerestase Elixir Ultime for dry ends, but I used that before I started reverse washing anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Questions!
    I normally shampoo my hair twice so should I be shampooing twice as part of this process???

Anyhoo I tried it on Saturday.
    I have dead dead straight hair. I wash it in the morning and day 1 it is perfect. Day 2 it is greasy but I live with it greasy. I wash it day 3 and again it is perfect. Day 4 it is greasy. Etc

My hair was pretty greasy so this is what I did:
    Shampooed/Washed hair once (to get rid of the grease)
    Conditioned hair from top to bottom. I think I in future I need put more conditioner in the bottom/at the tips.
    Did not rinse conditioner
    Shampooed/Washed hair once

I loved the top of my hair - felt light and non greasy (think the light was from the conditioner, and the non greasy was from shampooing the conditioner out).
    It did feel a little rough at the ends - think this would be normally because this I put some conditioner on the ends as the last part of the process.

I think I will do the above but may add in an extra step:
    Shampoo/Wash hair once (to get rid of the grease)
    Condition bottom of hair. And rinse out.
    Condition hair from top to bottom. Do not rinse conditioner
    Shampoo/Wash hair once

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Questions!
    I normally shampoo my hair twice so should I be shampooing twice as part of this process???

I have dead dead straight hair. I wash it in the morning and day 1 it is perfect. Day 2 it is greasy but I live with it greasy. I wash it day 3 and again it is perfect. Day 4 it is greasy. Etc

Conditioned hair from top to bottom. I think I in future I need put more conditioner in the bottom/at the tips.

I loved the top of my hair - felt light and non greasy (think the light was from the conditioner, and the non greasy was from shampooing the conditioner out).
    It did feel a little rough at the ends - think this would be normally because this I put some conditioner on the ends as the last part of the process.

Shampoo/Wash hair once

I condition first, not quite touching the roots, then wash out with a normal amount of shampoo and again with only a tiny bit of shampoo... works well for me so far! I don't know when I got into the habit of shampooing twice but it's a hard one to break!
    Edit to add, I sometimes comb a little bit of a spray on leave in conditioner just on the ends before blow drying.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Questions!

Shampoo/Wash hair once

I can't see this being very effective. I'd say you'd be better off conditioning just once, and then using some leave-in conditioner at the end.

Edit: snap above!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I tried this today, even though my hair is really thick!

It's amazing, my hair is so much lighter and softer. Was a bit of a pain to brush when drying, but definitely worth it :)

Advertisement