Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Reverse Hair Washing"

Options
  • 06-08-2015 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

AKA conditioning before shampooing

I have thin, naturally oily hair and recently read an article recommending that people with that type of hair use conditioner before shampoo while washing. I did a bit of research into it and read a lot of positive reviews so decided to give it a go myself.

I've noticed such a difference in my hair since I started doing this a few weeks ago. The first thing I noticed is that my hair feels a lot lighter, as all the conditioner has been fully washed out by the shampoo. My hair is much more volumised, much softer, it stays straight much longer after straightening (it's usually prone to kinking) and I'm getting away without washing it as much. Now I wouldn't be able to wear it down two days in a row but on the second day I just tie it back and it looks fine. I've even got three days out of it a couple of times, with the help of dry shampoo.

The most important tip I read is don't rinse the conditioner out before shampooing - use the shampoo to remove the conditioner, otherwise your hair will be left feeling dry after shampooing. Make sure your hair is completely wet, put in your conditioner (I've been using it from roots to tips, usually only use it towards the ends) then leave it in for a couple of minutes as you usually would, while you use shower gel/shave etc. Then I tilt my head in and out of the water to get it a bit more wet, then I apply shampoo (I use less than I would if I was using shampoo first) and lather up and then rinse it all out.

My hair at that stage doesn't feel QUITE as soft as if I'd just rinsed out conditioner on its own but it's pretty close. The difference really shows when it's dried and styled though. BTW I'm using the same shampoo and conditioner as I did before (Tresseme).

Does anyone else do this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I don't, but I will try it now, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

This actually makes so much more sense than conditioning first!

#firstworldproblemsolved

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I read about it too and it sounds good for fine hair (as you can attest) but there's no way I'll be trying it. I have highlighted hair down to about an inch below my bra-strap, and loads of it. Brushing it out after washing is enough of an ordeal as it is!

The other thing to bear in mind if your hair is super-fine is that you don't necessarily need to condition it every single wash. Every second or third is enough for some hair types (depends on the length too, though).

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Tried this in the shower this morning and my hair feels just as soft as it normally does :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

Just read your post, lepped into the shower (I was going to anyway, not because I'm easily lead ...), tried this - and it works!

I have very thin flat straight hair with no colours or treatments.
    I did what you said. Towel dried it, threw in a squirt of Frizz Ease to keep it from flying off my head altogether, and dried it with the brush drier. For a start it dried in a few seconds because there's no silicates on my hair. There was no problem with tangles - I have shoulder length hair. And it feels much fuller and more ... lively. That's the only way I can describe it. It's still lovely and soft.

Thanks very much ibarelycan for this fantastic tip. I shall be following the Reverse Way from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I just saw this post and also read about it recently. I did it the other day and clearly did it wrong as I washed out the conditioner before shampooing ���� 'twas a bit if a disaster, my superfine hair was coarser than normal. Will try it tomorrow without washing conditioner out.
    I also read about just using conditioner on hair and not shampooing at all. I have not tried this though. But there is always Monday hair washing night��

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I started doing this too, although I have thick curly hair, but it did feel a lot lighter & softer! I had bee rinsing it before the shampoo but the last couple of times I just left it in & shampoo it out. I'm still able to get the comb through my hair when wet (the only time I use a comb is to detangle when wet). I dont think I'm getting any longer out of it between washes , I still wash every 2nd day, but it feels great & less frizzy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I tried this method yesterday morning; usually my hair would be feeling so greasy by now but it's still semi-fresh feeling! I definitely feel the lightness that others have mentioned. I'm sure I'll forget & fall into routine sometimes & just wash with shampoo first but when I remember, I'll definitely do conditioner first. My hair feels lovely. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Interesting, I'll definitely be trying this ... will report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Tried this. Noticeable improvement.
    Hair def takes product better without conditioner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

Tried this last night, my hair does seem fresher iykwim.. Thanks for the tip :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I want to try this but am afraid! does anyone who has tried this have highlighed hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Delighted to hear people are having good results :D

anna080 wrote: »
    I want to try this but am afraid! does anyone who has tried this have highlighed hair?

I do! Well balayage so it's mainly in the bottom half. Maybe give it a try when you've some spare time so if it turns out too dry you can just re-wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aashna

I actually just noticed this week that my hair is so much fuller when I don't condition it, so this method makes a lot of sense! I'll be trying it today :D Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was all set to try this today but I forgot the conditioner in the shower and with two kids competing for my attention while I showered I couldn't leave the bathroom to retrieve it. Next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Is this only for thin & fine hair?
    It sounds interesting but I have long, thick & dry hair (dyed dark red) I'm wondering if it will be a disaster?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I use a kerastesse mask as my conditioner usually so if I were to try this method would I apply the mask first and then wash it out with shampoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

unreg999 wrote:
    It sounds interesting but I have long, thick & dry hair (dyed dark red) I'm wondering if it will be a disaster?!
    What's the worst that could happen-you have to wash your hair again.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

I swim a lot and if I bother with conditioner, I put on before a swim then cap on. Part of t his is to protect hair from chemicals in water but it also gives it time to absorb before shampoo off after swim. I had seen this recommended for when swimming in sun and maybe in a chlorine pool so double whammy on the hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 abba5

good tip thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

unreg999 wrote: »

I have long dyed red hair too & it worked a treat for me. My hair isn't as thick as it used to be but still thicker than some (I think!) and a bit dry from years of dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

From reading all these posts I can't wait to give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Tried this this morning. I have short, curly hair that is low maintenance. I just run a wide tooth comb through it when wet and leave it to dry. My hair feels much drier than usual so it definitely doesn't suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aashna

Tried this earlier today. Feels a bit drier than usual, but it's definitely got more volume. I think I'll alternate between it and 'normal' washes for a week or two and see what I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Tried this this morning. I have short, curly hair that is low maintenance. I just run a wide tooth comb through it when wet and leave it to dry. My hair feels much drier than usual so it definitely doesn't suit me.

Same with me, didn't work. Felt my hair was going to snap if I brushed it so put some conditioner back in it for a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

First of all in going to start by saying that I haven't tried this technique and I hadn't heard of it before I saw this thread. However I believe this in both potentially damaging for your hair and also that you can get better results from different methods.

The point of shampoo is to remove grease from your hair. Many shampoos achieve this by using sodium laurel sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate or a combination of the two of them as the main ingredient to do this. However these are both very effective ingredients and remove a lot of the oils from your hair leaving it dry and possibly even damaging it.

Conditioner then comes in and replenishes these oils and keeps your hair healthy and happy. However main conditioners use silicones which coat your hair in a thin layer of silicone to give the impression that it is shiny and soft and healthy. However for some peoples hair this makes their hair get geasy thin feel not healthy etc. You then need to use a harsh shampoo with SLS in it to remove these silicons.

What I think is happening with this technique is that the people finding benefits from it have issues with silicones. By washing after they condition they are removing this layer of silicone and also potentially damaging their hair. What I would suggest they do instead of this is to go out and buy a shampoo without SLS and a conditioner with out silicone. Most cheap brands even have these now and they are available Boots etc. So go out and try this first would be my suggestion before you try something that may damage your hair and is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

I have tried this method too. My hair definitely feels fuller after but harder to untangle. I have also tried just shampooing my hair, no conditioner and the result is the same. I can't help but feel that putting the conditioner in is a waste as you're washing it out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

fondue wrote: »
    I have tried this method too. My hair definitely feels fuller after but harder to untangle. I have also tried just shampooing my hair, no conditioner and the result is the same. I can't help but feel that putting the conditioner in is a waste as you're washing it out anyway.

It's completely different for me if I just shampoo. I often enough just shampoo if I'm going to be leaving my hair tied up, and it's very dry and can be hard to brush when I do that. Reverse washing leaves it nearly as soft when wet as normal washing, and softer when dried.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I tried this method yesterday. My hair is fine and thin, and often looks flat after conditioning.

No discernable difference after blowing drying but I think my hair has slept better overnight. It only required brushing this morning, where often I'd have to tie it up or consider washing again to get a good look.

Once isn't enough to confirm it's the reverse order though so I'll give it another try.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Bored_lad wrote: »
    What I think is happening with this technique is that the people finding benefits from it have issues with silicones. By washing after they condition they are removing this layer of silicone and also potentially damaging their hair. What I would suggest they do instead of this is to go out and buy a shampoo without SLS and a conditioner with out silicone. Most cheap brands even have these now and they are available Boots etc. So go out and try this first would be my suggestion before you try something that may damage your hair and is pointless.

Which cheap brands are SLS free, if you don't mind me asking? My shampoo and conditioner are both SLS free, but they're €15 each. :( Would love to find a good cheap replacement brand!

I'm gonna give this method a go anyways. My hair is shoulder-length, and I'd describe it as combination rather than greasy or dry. Just depends on what it feels like doing on any given day! :rolleyes:

Advertisement