Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm shocked at how good this looks. Was watching Jim Sterling's video about it as well, and one thing that strikes me is just how tongue in cheek and over the top the whole thing is, it wasn't super serious grimdark like Doom 3 was. I'll probably be picking this up at some point for definite. I love that it throws players in straight away, no "press wasd to move" tutorial bull, it was just into the action from the get go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

KilOit wrote: »
    Got it yesterday, think my pc is finally showing it's age, have it on high with gtx670 and 2500k and seems to be a little sluggish even with mouse movements, hoping it just needs updated graphics drivers when i get home later.
    Good game though, got it purely by TB's recommendation

I'm running it on an aging overclocked i7 920 and a GTX970 and it's absolutely flying. I suspect you're having driver issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Absolutely loving the Terminator 2 reference when you fall into the lava.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

dreamers75 wrote: »

Pro Tip: Dont stop moving ever!!!

That tip is as old as Doom 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

5uspect wrote: »
    I'm running it on an aging overclocked i7 920 and a GTX970 and it's absolutely flying. I suspect you're having driver issues.

It wouldn't the the CPU it would be the GPU. The GTX670 at this point, due to age and latest drivers being wildly unoptimised for 6 and 7 series, is at the bottom end of the GPU charts.

The GTX970 is 2-2.5x faster than the GTX670 in the latest games.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't the the CPU it would be the GPU. The GTX670 at this point, due to age and latest drivers being wildly unoptimised for 6 and 7 series, is at the bottom end of the GPU charts.

The GTX970 is 2-2.5x faster than the GTX670 in the latest games.

No doubt, but the 970 is probably somewhat bottlenecked by the rest of my ancient system. I'd say KilOit should be able to run it on medium to high without the sluggishness issues he's experiencing.

Anyway, if my nearly 7 year old CPU and mobo is anything to go by all that is needed is a cheapish new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

5uspect wrote: »

im still rocking a i7 930 :D thinking of throwing a gtx 1080 in with it hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I have an i5 2500k with a 750ti

It's managing 35 fps at best.

Can anyone tell me what the best value graphics card I can upgrade to that will get me 60fps guaranteed in Doom?

Or should I be upgrading my cpu and motherboard as well as my gfx at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I have 290X2 and it runs grand on Ultra.

Its not a great looking game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

quarryman wrote: »
    I have an i5 2500k with a 750ti

It's managing 35 fps at best.

Can anyone tell me what the best value graphics card I can upgrade to that will get me 60fps guaranteed in Doom?

Or should I be upgrading my cpu and motherboard as well as my gfx at this point?

**** sake, people here are loosing their minds!

90% of games are GPU bound, not CPU bound.

The percentage might sway if you have and AMD CPU, because they're very poor.

If you're 2nd Gen Intel i5+, or first gen i7, you're golden, your GPU is the issue.

GTX750Ti/GTX670 - great budget cards, crap if you want to run the latest games at high/ultra. Suggestion - GTX960/R9 380+, ideally GTX970 or R9 290/390. CPU's mentioned here are all sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

As Terror said, your cpu is absolutely perfect, id hold off buying a gpu for a month or so though as nvidia are about to launch their pascal cards and the gtx 1070 will probably be great value

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

The SP campaign looks great and was impressed watching it on Cohh's stream. After my experience of the MP beta, I'm not so sure the MP will have any lasting value or wide appeal. So will wait for it to go on sale and then pick it up for the SP. Must also upgrade my graphics card - still running a 680 which is beginning to show its age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Some advice to PC users:

I have an i7 4770K, 16gb DDR3 and a R9 390X, but with everything cranked up to Ultra (with applicable settings on Nightmare), my frame rate was dying in certain situations; as low as 15fps at the worst of times but highs of 180+ in others. I tried adjusting many settings to get a stable 60, or higher, but could not achieve this at all. It was only when I went near the Shadows setting that the problem was resolved. For some reason, AMD cards struggle incredibly if you have the Shadows setting on anything above 'High'. As soon as I dropped it to 'High', but kept everything else on 'Ultra' or 'Nightmare' (including AA TXAA x8), I was getting 100 fps almost consistently. It now no longer dips below 80 with highs of 140+.

So, if you are using a high end AMD card but are receiving an abysmal frame rate from time to time, just drop the quality of Shadows. And I am using the latest AMD driver already.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,044 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im hoping they fix the SLI soon.

I have 2 980 Ti but I see quite a frame rate drop to below 30fps using 3440x1440 res

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭omerin

As someone that is old enough to have played the original Doom, I am disappointed with this version (probably old age is a factor :) )

For me the issues are -
    there is no atmosphere. The original was soaked in it
    it is too fast paced
    it is too arcadey
    graphically for me, it is too cartoony, really have a dislike for games like borderlands
    The normal level is far too easy - health is too freely available and see next point
    the AI is practically non-existent
    there is no reload with shotguns/pistols - like wtf in these types of games part of the fun/scare is panicking when your gun is reloading and you have hell coming at you. For example you start with 20 shotgun shells and not once do you have to reload - joke

lets go back to basics - take advantage of the extra horsepower in PCs but don't ruin it by going down the road of gimmicks that has for me put the final nail in the coffin of COD.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that BF1 doesn't follow suit

omerin wrote: »
    As someone that is old enough to have played the original Doom, I am disappointed with this version (probably old age is a factor :) )

For me the issues are -
    there is no atmosphere. The original was soaked in it
    it is too fast paced
    it is too arcadey
    graphically for me, it is too cartoony, really have a dislike for games like borderlands
    The normal level is far too easy - health is too freely available and see next point
    the AI is practically non-existent
    there is no reload with shotguns/pistols - like wtf in these types of games part of the fun/scare is panicking when your gun is reloading and you have hell coming at you. For example you start with 20 shotgun shells and not once do you have to reload - joke

lets go back to basics - take advantage of the extra horsepower in PCs but don't ruin it by going down the road of gimmicks that has for me put the final nail in the coffin of COD.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that BF1 doesn't follow suit

I, too, played the originals back in the day, but I have to disagree with most of your points.

Atmosphere: this game features more than 12 varying textures, thus building on atmosphere with different settings. The sound effects are great and tension can most certainly be felt with many jumpy moments as well as the difficulty of the game.

Fast paced: Doom was always fast paced. You stand still, you die. Also, iD are harking back to Quake.

Arcadey: Doom was an arcadey game.

Graphics: The graphics in this game are excellent. You compare these to Black Ops 3 and you can see a great leap forward in fidelity. Are you running it on max settings? Even the sparks cast shadows, volumetric fog and smoke effects penetrated by light and shadows, great animation with the demons, the level of detail on the guns, etc., etc. It looks nothing like Borderlands. If you are referring to the numbers that pop up for damage, you can turn that off in gameplay settings.

Difficulty: I started it on Nightmare and it is very challenging. Normal is for filthy casuals using controllers :P

AI: I agree to some extent. However, I find them tough at Nightmare difficulty. They actively pursue you and try to get up in your face with flanking. They also run away if you have the jump on them and you have to give chase.

Reloading: Doom never had reloading until Doom 3. I get what you mean by making it scarier, but if you are comparing the game to the originals then you should remain consistent. If you want reloading they would have to change the dynamic of the game to cater for it. But if you want the old-school Doom then reloading has to be removed.

This game is everything COD is not and that is a wonderful thing. Did you play Wolfenstein? Similar gameplay and style but it has reloading. Maybe that would be more your thing?

Dissapointed no linux support for this. I was skeptical about getting this but it doesn't seem too bad at all. A possible sale purchase. But as long as it remains a windows only game I don't think it's worth money. Can't buy DRM free copy, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Got latest drivers and my fps stays around 20-30 fps with low, medium and high settings with gtx670, nothing seems to effect it, really odd

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I've been hearing the campaign is really short, is this true?

KilOit wrote: »
    Got latest drivers and my fps stays around 20-30 fps with low, medium and high settings with gtx670, nothing seems to effect it, really odd

What's your resource utilization like? In advanced graphics settings, down the bottom, you can turn a bunch of stats.
    I've been hearing the campaign is really short, is this true?

About 13 hours I've heard. Its got lots of replay value IMO tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dissapointed no linux support for this. I was skeptical about getting this but it doesn't seem too bad at all. A possible sale purchase. But as long as it remains a windows only game I don't think it's worth money. Can't buy DRM free copy, either.

Games viability on linux is now a measure of a games "value"?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I put a post on their forums way back asking for DRM/steam free edition but they just started deleting all the posts about it.

Money is what drives Bethesda these days; it was surprising to see some of their older stuff show up on gog, but they'd probably stopped making much elsewhere, so what's to lose? You'll be waiting a long time if you hope to get this DRM free and/or for Linux.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Games viability on linux is now a measure of a games "value"?

Really?

Yes. I am allowed to set my own standards as a consumer. Plenty of people disregard games due them not being on a platform they want. Windows, PS4, iOS, Android, 3DS etc.

Windows' days are numbered to me, therefore games that are Windows only with no plans for platform progress don't seem like good investments. There's an abundance of good, DRM free and/or Linux games out there that are worth my time and money, not even counting the many open source games I could get stuck into aswell.
    Monotype wrote: »
    I put a post on their forums way back asking for DRM/steam free edition but they just started deleting all the posts about it.

Money is what drives Bethesda these days; it was surprising to see some of their older stuff show up on gog, but they'd probably stopped making much elsewhere, so what's to lose? You'll be waiting a long time if you hope to get this DRM free and/or for Linux.

I'm not surprised they censored you and many others about anything they don't want to talk about. Seems like the dish of the day with modern, mod-centric forums. Killing Floor 2 is a disaster in this regard.

Anyway I won't be waiting a long time since I'm not waiting at all. I'll just play and support other games. Like the original doom I got on sale on gog recently. GZDoom works perfectly on linux and Brutality mod seems interesting.

Damn I think they've gotten this really right so far.
    I was so disappointed with the attempt at blatant exposition in the form of a voice recorder at the start, but then doom guy smashes the monitor!! Yes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

The SP is quiet simply game of the year for me so far. I haven't enjoyed PC gaming so much in a long long time.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Some advice to PC users:

I have an i7 4770K, 16gb DDR3 and a R9 390X, but with everything cranked up to Ultra (with applicable settings on Nightmare), my frame rate was dying in certain situations; as low as 15fps at the worst of times but highs of 180+ in others. I tried adjusting many settings to get a stable 60, or higher, but could not achieve this at all. It was only when I went near the Shadows setting that the problem was resolved. For some reason, AMD cards struggle incredibly if you have the Shadows setting on anything above 'High'. As soon as I dropped it to 'High', but kept everything else on 'Ultra' or 'Nightmare' (including AA TXAA x8), I was getting 100 fps almost consistently. It now no longer dips below 80 with highs of 140+.
    Just to go further on this AMD knew there was serious issues with the drivers for the 390 and they released newer ones on the 17/18th after your post that fixed the issues with the 390 and 390x

Just to go further on this AMD knew there was serious issues with the drivers for the 390 and they released newer ones on the 17/18th after your post that fixed the issues with the 390 and 390x

That's right. I installed the 16.5.2. fix and I can max the settings out now with Shadows on 'Nightmare' level and the game runs perfectly.

I suppose this is the best place to post it, but anyone with an AMD card (not Crossfire). The new Vulcan API update has made a significant performance increase. On my 290x I was averaging around 30 FPS and dropping to 10-15 at times if I were playing at all high and 3440 x 1440 I now am getting a solid 60 with some drops to high 40 FPS. From reading some other forums it would seem that AMD have a much larger increase in performance over Nvidia (for now).

^ Great to hear Vulkan hitting a popular new game like this and having performance gains. Hopefully it helps the chances of more than just windows support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nathan G

^ Great to hear Vulkan hitting a popular new game like this and having performance gains. Hopefully it helps the chances of more than just windows support.

It would be great if it worked out that way

Advertisement