Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom

Options
  • 05-08-2015 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

As we know, there's a new Doom on the way. And despite the apparent lack of excitement for it, here's a thread all about it. :pac:

The E3 debut footage;

And some id guys talking about how the game will be run and gun with a heavy reliance on player skill (although it still feels weird that Carmack isn't up there talking about it);

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Footage from the MP closed Alpha last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'll be honest, I'm not that pushed about it.

Probably will still pick it up, but just not doing it for me at the moment.

Loved Doom 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

That MP video looks nice but also looks far more Quake than Doom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Duggy747 wrote: »
    That MP video looks nice but also looks far more Quake than Doom

Not really getting the quake feeling off it, it seems far far slower than quake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks decent enough, reminds me of QIII or Unreal Tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I played the closed beta for a short while and I have to say one word comes to mind: bland.

It feels like Unreal Tournament in terms of movement, particularly the new UT still in development, but bloody hell (no pun intended) it is really, really generic and bland. And, don't get me started on the announcer, he actually sounds bored or depressed. The UI for the lobby is pretty much the same as a COD lobby layout, almost an exact copy. The game is locked to 60fps (thanks, Bethesda), and the advanced graphical options are locked out of the beta, so you can't make the game look better - in fact, it looks pretty poor with that typical console peasant blur effect in the distance for textures.

It is clear the game is designed with consoles in mind. Overall, I feel the multiplayer in DOOM is a poor show. I hope they stick to tradition and produce a decent single-player game, because if they are marketing this as a multiplayer game it is going to flop, I think.

If anybody wants me to do some Twitch streaming I can boot it up and you can see for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Falthyron wrote: »
    The game is locked to 60fps (thanks, Bethesda)

This stuff blows my mind. I upgraded to a 144hz monitor a few months ago and I really don't think I can go back to low fps first-person games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Zillah wrote: »
    This stuff blows my mind. I upgraded to a 144hz monitor a few months ago and I really don't think I can go back to low fps first-person games.

Bethesda have been pulling this $hit for quite a while now. Skyrim, Wolfenstein, Evil Within, Fallout 4, and now DOOM have all been locked to 60fps and it requires an edit of the .ini file to unlock the frame rate. Very frustrating especially when they say things like: "locking the game at a certain frame rate helps with the atmosphere and feeling of the game" or the honest truth: it breaks things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The compass marker showing up made me immediately disregard this game. That alone (although there are many other things) destroys what is DOOM. The 60fps lock really did seal the deal, though. Another one bites the dust.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Bethesda have been pulling this $hit for quite a while now. Skyrim, Wolfenstein, Evil Within, Fallout 4, and now DOOM have all been locked to 60fps and it requires an edit of the .ini file to unlock the frame rate. Very frustrating especially when they say things like: "locking the game at a certain frame rate helps with the atmosphere and feeling of the game" or the honest truth: it breaks things.

Saw a post on reddit that someone had accessed the advanced options and it allows for up to 144 fps, so there may be hope yet! Though no sign of any way to turn off mouse acceleration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Burgo wrote: »
    mouse acceleration.

Now there's a deal breaker.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Gosh, this would be better with mouse acceleration".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Whilst I wouldn't take it as gospel that it'll be running locked at 60 by the time it releases (let's remember the thing's still in development and they might have just been unable to sort some bugs in time for the closed testing and so locked it), this really isn't "our" Doom (by this I mean old people like me who remember the original) because our Doom would probably be a commercial failure by today's standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Shiminay wrote: »
    because our Doom would probably be a commercial failure by today's standards

I don't know, I reckon Doom would make a pretty successful indie game today. I'm looking forward to Strafe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't know, I reckon Doom would make a pretty successful indie game today. I'm looking forward to Strafe :D
    As much as I'm looking forward to Strafe it's worth bearing in mind that it only just made it's funding goal of $185,096. A paltry amount compared to what it would cost to make Doom even if it hadn't had a tortured development cycle.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

OSI wrote: »
    Hard Reset was supposed to be the modern Doom. Bored me to tears in just over an hour.

Same, dull as mud.
    Can't say new Doom is grabbing my attention at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It's very obviously designed around console controllers, which utterly ruins any FPS imho (Yes I have a console, like it for many things, but those controllers were not built to do this properly....fine, just don't redesign the games around the handicap therefore destroying it for M+KBD play). Way too slow and reliant on gimicks rather than the fast paced gameplay they ludicrously keep stating we are in fact watching instead of the slow lateral-ramp controller limited play that's actually on screen.

I honestly don't think these type of games were ever very good for multiplayer. Doom was always about single player for me. Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament were a bit meh. Frantic, yet ultimately an unrefined mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Speaking of Straffe, this was their April 1st web browser version release xD
    https://pixeltitans.itch.io/strafef2p

News just gets better:

Along with free content, Doom will haves three premium multiplayer DLC packs following its launch. These will include "a number of new maps, hack modules, playable demons, weapons, and more."
    Each DLC pack will cost $14.99/£11.99/€14.99. A season pass will also be available for $39.99/£29.99/€39.99. The first premium DLC pack are as follows:
    Three new maps
    One new weapon
    One new playable demon
    One new armour set
    One new piece of equipment
    New hack modules and taunts
    New customization colours and patterns

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-open-beta-start-date-confirmed-first-premium-/1100-6438299/
    theres a video that auto plays on the link btw

....and I'm out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

This is as much Doom as the Syndicate game released was a Syndicate game; the only thing they have in common is the name with the game they are trying to claim to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

stock game: €60
    seasonpass with sh1t that should be in the game anyway or at least free Mp maps: €40
    Potential to have microtransactions: check
    Potential for further milking of consumers: check

bollocks to that, steamsale and i'll play it next year for a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Well **** that!
    Nody wrote: »
    This is as much Doom as the Syndicate game released was a Syndicate game; the only thing they have in common is the name with the game they are trying to claim to be.

Go try Satellite Reign, a spiritual successor to Syndicate that was made by some ex Bullfrog people. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Links234 wrote: »
    Well **** that!

Go try Satellite Reign, a spiritual successor to Syndicate that was made by some ex Bullfrog people. :)
    I supported the kickstarter and have already beaten the game and given it high recommendations in the thread :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I must say I'm sad to hear that this isn't shaping up as well as hoped.

I was really hoping with Bethesda at the helm we wouldn't see a bland COD clone.

On the plus side I'm probably sorted FPS wise for the moment as I started Borderlands 2 the handsome collection last night with a friend and it looks meaty.

Have to work out how the rewards, loot and guns, etc... work but first impressions are it plays/feels balanced, fun characters and looks really pretty. Love the art style.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

For me this new Doom was one of those games that I would pick up later down the line when its around 25 quid as I was interested in Arena shooter. After watching "worth a buy" fella on youtube I am completely turned of it.

Just by looking at footage in video you can see how Doom is just made for modern console gamer and completely ruined Arena shooter. He got Footage of Quake 3 and New Doom.

The range is horrible. Its clearly built up that enemies would be close to you, so models are big to hit.
    FOW makes it so painful even to watch.
    2 weapon limit and loud outs.... **** off now. It was supposed to be arena shooter. So Weapons are Balanced on loud outs level, not on how hard to get or master a weapon.

the open beta is on steam this morning if anyone's interested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I played the PS4 version last night and it didn't click with me at all. I haven't played a DOOM game since about 1995 and I'd forgotten that there was no aiming down sights. Felt so weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Every match I've played in, the teams have been so unbalanced as to make the game nearly unenjoyable.

• Advertisement

TheKells wrote: »
    Every match I've played in, the teams have been so unbalanced as to make the game nearly unenjoyable.

Played one game, teams were completely unbalanced, that or it's got cheats in it already. Also, a levelling and class system with item unlocks seemed out of place in this type of game.

Been a while since i've played any of the CoD's, but i distinctly remember having more fun with them in the first 20 minutes.

Advertisement