Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

AFAIK the parking brake should be used to prevent excessive parking force on the motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Could I ask for those who own the newer 40kw 2017-18 models (and from those two years) what kind of winter range are you getting and what is the batttery health? Planning on getting an EV later this year hopefully and from the options the 40kw Leaf would seem to fit my requirements of 70km commute per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I've a 221 plate 40kWh version & commute 48km to & from work, so 96km daily.

I do use ac intermittently just to defog windscreen, I'd normally have 52% left if I started from 100% so in theory I should only have to charge it every 2nd day but I'm not brave enough for that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

what kind of speed/roads would you be doing here? 100kph for a lot of it?

Also, I think the newer 40kw model only came in 2018 for Irish market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭creedp

Oh I know but even when fully applied it exerts very little force and is prone to sticking if parked up for any length of time which is why I rarely use it unless parked on a slope.

regarding the 2018 40kwh Leaf and the parking brake.

Seems some have a foot brake to the left of the accelerator and brake pedals

others have a little switch you flick back in the center arm rest area

was the parking brake one built in country X and the switch one built in country Y? or is there a reason behind the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

It was in this megathread earlier on that we figured that the SV and below were foot operated and the top two trim levels were electronic.

Thank you, which of the 2 parking brakes is the most reliable and less prone to issues etc

do the top 2 trim levels have that Bose system in the boot?

• Advertisement

Only the SVE has it. The SV premium looks similar from outside with the same wheels but doesn't have the leather seats or the LED headlamps.

And the "new" (as opposed to mark 1 2011-2012) electric handbrake mechanism seems reliable so far. I haven't read about any issues with the 2018->.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have a 2019 40kwh and in the winter I'd get 2km per 1% of battery. Use the heating and might be a bit less.

Sorry to be a pain. Can you tell me the trim levels from low to high?

is N connecta etc related to UK cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Since the facelift leaf that arrived here in 2018, we had XE, SV, SV Premium and SVE. Then you had other options like 6.6kW charging, heat pump etc that were not always standard.

I think they are pretty analogous with the UK trims .

Before the facelift (so, for 132 cars onwards to 2018) we had XE, SV and SVE. The XE was the base, and the uk equivalent was different, as chademo was optional!

An XE leaf is a horrendous place to be, wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. Didnt even have cruise control!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What does the leafspy app do?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Don't forget the N-Connecta launch edition for 2018. Although i'm not sure of the difference between it and the rest. It seems to be SV Premium at a glance.

It lets you check the true state of charge (SOC) and more importantly the true state of health (SOH). Especially useful on 2018+ models, as the SOH is not so obvious as the older gen Leaf showed the 12 bars or less on the dash. You can see the number of times the car was rapid charged and slow charged. I know there was an issue with the older Leafs where the slow charge connections were double counted, so you needed to half the reported number on Leaf Spy.

Leaf Spy Pro lets you get a bit more info and you change some settings in the car with it, such as whether the car should lock all doors automatically when driving...a few other bits I can't remember.

I viewed a 2018 Leaf last week. The owner thought the battery was 100% because Nissan told her it was. I checked and the SOH was 87%. Not bad for 130k on the clock, but not 100% either.

Stay Free

Leafspy is a must have app, it basically gives unfettered access to the car's onboard computer systems to read (and modify) different statuses and settings. The most important is the battery status and bms

My own 2011 leaf24 (a gen 0) shows low battery warning and "--- km" at about 25% real SOC, leafspy allows me to use that additional range.

Thank you.

I has presumed that all the 40kwh Leafs had the 6.6kW charging. Is this wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Some of the XE models have been equipped wtih 3.3 kW charger recently I saw. That's another reason to avoid the XE as ELM327 says.

I think the N-Connecta is the same as SV Premium spec in Ireland plus the winter pack. The Launch Edition was the same as 2.Zero in UK, i.e. SV Premium with ProPilot, and again the Irish ones didn't come with winter pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Has anyone bought / made an extension for the middle arm rest? It's terribly designed in the new leaf compared to the older model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

25%?! I haven't been tempted until now, but must grab it if that's the case.

Great call. I test drove one and the arm rest really annoyed me. Could not get comfortable

Be careful as it's only true in the earlier ZE0 models, usually 2011 and 2012, identified by the lack of a % readout on the screen. Other "oddities" include a pull cord for the charger cover (like the hood opener) instead of a button, and an eco position on the drive selector where B mode should be, instead of an eco button on the steering wheel and B mode on the drive selector. 2011-12 leafs were weird! Seems like moving EU production to sunderland for H2 2013 standardized output.

My first leaf, a 2014 24kWh SVE back in the day, had a much better read on the BMS and only showed "---" when it was truly "---"!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks Niman, thats interesting. If your commute was 150km across two days would you be confident enough only to charge it every second day in winter? Like if you had to do it I mean. Thats what Im trying to find out, with my 150km of driving across 2 days would a 2018 40kwh Leaf have enough spare battery capacity for me not to be worrying if it could do 2 commutes in a row before being charged again.

On your 2km per 1% of battery metric it seems like 150km would use 75% of the battery which gives a good buffer of about 50km left over. But Id intend to own the car for perhaps 3 years so wonder how much that buffer might disappear with battery degradation over that time. Worse case scenario might be having to sell it early if it is no longer reliable to get 150km winter kms over 2 days. My commute is largely done at about 80kph and never higher than 100.

Also anyone know of a car rental company where I might find a 2018 Leaf to road test it and the range for two or three days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Ya we've a 2012 with all of those "features" alright!

Mine does the same at about 8% SOC displayed while Leafspy says approx 20% SOc. However, in my case either Leafspy is over reporting SOC or under reporting kw/h remaining because 20% SOC does not equate to 1.2kw/h remaining.

I've lost a bit of trust in Leafspy recently because it appears to mirror what the car is displaying rather than providing an independent more reliable source of data. For example there appears to be a fault with my battery/bms which can cause it to report a rapid reduction in SOC and GOM when climbing a hill which recovers once hill has been scaled, it can drop 20 to 30% over a km and recover over 20% of that reduction almost immediately when hill is scaled. Problem is Leafspy reports the exact same reduction and recovery stats both for SOC and kw/h remaining so it no longer inspires any confidence for me.

That's interesting. I find the SOC and remaining kWh display to be fairly accurate on mine but it's a 10 year old app so perhaps it's not always correct

Another eg from today. I came home with car showing '--' SOC and GOM. Leafspy reporting 29.8% SOC and only 0.6kwh left.

Plugged in and checked a short while later. Zappi showing 2.66kw output while car showing SOC of 41% and Leafspy showing 42% and 7.1kwh remaining. So what to believe😮‍💨

It may well be that bms is faulty and causing all this inconsistency so my experience wouldn't be applicable to most cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

I would tend to trust Leafspy over the dash as it should be, in theory, pulling raw data from the BMS and the dash probably has some variables to ensure you don't hit 0% and just die instantly.

Advertisement