Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

somebody text in to newstalk this morning their favourite xmas movie "It's a wonderful life, Ryan Tubridy, Dublin"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

'RTE revealed yesterday that Friday night’s Late Late was one of the most watched shows of the season.

The MacGowan special had an average audience of 591,300, making it the second-highest of the year after the Toy Show.' From the mirror.

I would think there will be more tribute shows so. Maybe they will finally realise people dont want misery any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,192 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

*tunes in*

“It’s an invisible illness...”

*tunes out*

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Caught a few minutes of the twit this morning. He talked about this "really immature" take on a Christmas song that he had heard and I was setting myself up for the next "Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo" but after building it up for what seemed like an eternity he played Macca's (who else's) "Simply having a wonderful Christmas time" with, wait for it....the first line repeated over adn over instead of the actual full lyrics. BONKERS! He then went on to say it was the kind of immature thing he did at school.

That man has lived such a sheltered life.

Caught a few minutes of the twit this morning. He talked about this "really immature" take on a Christmas song that he had heard and I was setting myself up for the next "Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo" but after building it up for what seemed like an eternity he played Macca's (who else's) "Simply having a wonderful Christmas time" with, wait for it....the first line repeated over adn over instead of the actual full lyrics. BONKERS! He then went on to say it was the kind of immature thing he did at school.

That man has lived such a sheltered life.
    You’ll have to explain that clearer for me please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

PieOhMy wrote: »
    'RTE revealed yesterday that Friday night’s Late Late was one of the most watched shows of the season.

The MacGowan special had an average audience of 591,300, making it the second-highest of the year after the Toy Show.' From the mirror.

I would think there will be more tribute shows so. Maybe they will finally realise people dont want misery any more.

I think because The Dubliners tribute show went down so well last year they thought they'd pump out a few more this time round... shane mc gowan, christy moore a few weeks back...they'll probably have one or two more before this season is out too. Twink maybe? :p

You’ll have to explain that clearer for me please

Instead of:

The moon is right
    The spirit’s up
    We’re here tonight
    And that’s enough
    Simply having a wonderful Christmas time
    The party’s on
    The feelin’s here
    That only comes
    This time of year
    The choir of children sing their song
    Ding dong, ding dong
    Ding dong, ding, oh, oh
    The word is out
    About the town
    To lift a glass
    Ah, don’t look down
    They practiced all year long
    Ding dong, ding dong
    Ding dong, ding dong
    Ding dong, ding dong
    The party’s on
    The spirit’s up…

It's just:

The moon is right
    The moon is right
    The moon is right
    The moon is right.............

over and over again to the tune of the song.

Very immature.

Instead of:

The moon is right
    The spirit’s up
    We’re here tonight
    And that’s enough
    The party’s on
    The feelin’s here
    That only comes
    This time of year
    Ding dong, ding dong
    Ding dong, ding, oh, oh
    The word is out
    About the town
    To lift a glass
    Ah, don’t look down
    They practiced all year long
    Ding dong, ding dong
    Ding dong, ding dong
    Ding dong, ding dong
    The party’s on
    The spirit’s up…

It's just:

The moon is right
    The moon is right
    The moon is right
    The moon is right.............

over and over again to the tune of the song.

Very immature.

i don;t belong on this earth

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have a real problem with RTE and Tubridy putting out the footage of The Fairytale Of New York. I mean, let's not be naive here, RTE knew that the song was a mess up and would have known that there would have been a huge amount of ridicule and embarrassment for Philomena Begley, yet they still let the footage go out. Now this is the same Ryan Tubridy who would be the first person to call out another show for being exploitative. Fair enough if it had gone out live and there was nothing they could do about it.

But the show was pre-record, and they could have afforded them the opportunity to re-record the song or allow Begley to dub over the proper words after the show. But they chose not to allow her to save face. I wonder did they anticipate the controversy and deliberately go out for that reason. I would be very interested to hear what the RTE stars would have had to say if this show went out on another station.

I didn't see the LLS, and Boards is my only social media, but what was the uproar? Didn't hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

NIMAN wrote: »
    I didn't see the LLS, and Boards is my only social media, but what was the uproar? Didn't hear anything.

Begley is supposed to be a professional singer ...her duet with McGowan on "Fairytale" was embarrassing...time for her to hang up the mic methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is that it? She was bad?

And Shane was great?

I have watched a clip. Agree, her voice isn't great, but I never thought it was good when she was young. Each to their own I suppose. Voices often go to pot when you get older.

More embarrassing was her reading the autocue.

But supposedly Shane thinks she's a legend and wanted to do the song with her. If you believe the stories/spin. I would never have put SMG down as an admirer of Philomena.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is that it? She was bad?

And Shane was great?

I have watched a clip. Agree, her voice isn't great, but I never thought it was good when she was young. Each to their own I suppose. Voices often go to pot when you get older.

More embarrassing was her reading the autocue.

But supposedly Shane thinks she's a legend and wanted to do the song with her. If you believe the stories/spin. I would never have put SMG down as an admirer of Philomena.

A young Shane would have gone to see a lot of visiting Irish bands in London in the 70s. He was a big follower of the likes of Philomena, Big Tom, Ray Lynam, Larry Cunningham etc.

A Pair of Brown eyes
    I looked at him he looked at me
    All I could do was hate him
    While ray and philomena sang
    Of my elusive dreams
    I saw the streams, the rolling hills
    Where his brown eyes were waiting
    And I thought about a pair of brown eyes
    That waited once for me

Rock 'N' Roll Paddy
    Here's to Geno, here's to Eddie
    Here's to sad songs Big O sings
    Here's a letter from Elvis Presley
    Big Tom is still the King

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Imagine the kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Four kindnesses and one toy show in the first
    2 minutes

"Gorgeous" overload.

Dead people galore.

People bawling in their kitchens.

sligojoek wrote: »
    "Gorgeous" overload.

Dead people galore.

People bawling in their kitchens.

They should tune into Alison Curtis then and they'll soon be dancing 'round the kitchen table with delight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Wall to wall death leading in to the Christmas.

Bootiful child.

Irish doctors in NZ.

"Pass on our appreciation to them."

For what exactly?

Only short of saying
    T
    Y
    Y
    S ;)

• Advertisement

Is Tubs morphing into Mr. Duffy?

There seems to be some sort of mutual appreciation society forming betwixt and between the RTE "chums" lately. Little Lord Fauntleroy probably sees it as some sort of social experiment to mix with a (self-proclaimed) wurkin class person wit a wurkin class wurk ettic and dat so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The man is living in dreamworld.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Irish doctors in NZ.

"Pass on our appreciation to them."

For what exactly?

For using your tax money to fund their education and then fecking off at the first opportunity to foreign shores so to speak and contributing nothing to the vastly under-resourced system which trained them. Oh and their undoubted kindness.

I've just tuned in, is this a chat between two auld wans at a checkout queue?

Edit: She got a grand for that? WTAF?

I'm assuming we're going to finish on a death here......but she'll get a grand for it so it's all hunky dory.

GORGEOUS letters. Fook off.

I'm assuming we're going to finish on a death here......but she'll get a grand for it so it's all hunky dory.

GORGEOUS letters. Fook off.

Bingo.

KINDNESS IS KING!

Gorgeous family.
    Huge kindness.
    Gorgeous family - again.

All in 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Is Tubs morphing into Mr. Duffy?

There seems to be some sort of mutual appreciation society forming betwixt and between the RTE "chums" lately. Little Lord Fauntleroy probably sees it as some sort of social experiment to mix with a (self-proclaimed) wurkin class person wit a wurkin class wurk ettic and dat so to speak.

Mutual appreciation society is probably all the top earners banding together following their pleb colleagues comments about their wages.

• Advertisement

takes him 30mins to get cookin every mornin, the equivilant of me coming in to work at 8 and starting actual work at 12

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement