Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Continuing PieOhMy's sterling service:

Freebies list since 23 September 2020

Freebie Request List:

Trip to Iceland
    Quiet Coffee Maker
    Knife sharpener
    Turntable Mat (received amongst other record player accessories)
    Original Copy (and artwork) of Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas single (received in return for Arnotts Gift Card)
    Worlds Biggest Selection Box (as seen in a child’s hands)

Freebie Received List:

Free Unknown volume of books
    Free bespoke jewellery x 2
    Free essential oils for mask
    Free buns from Bewleys
    Free trip on the navy ship
    Free 8 Glasses cases
    Free accessory for vinyl record player
    Free flowers
    Free Yop, Fruit of the Forest and Yakult
    Free Holland and Barrett supply
    Free Calm App
    Free Scents of Ireland commercial air diffuser and scents
    Free Epicurean Delights (i.e. Grub)
    Free Watercolour
    Free Candles
    Free book about Elvis' comeback in 68
    Free Waterford Famine Buke
    Free pints
    Free sweets from Shandons
    Free loose leaf tea
    Free bread knives
    Free candles possibly wickless candles
    Free teapot
    Free vinyl (Beatles/McCarthy)
    Free Tea brack
    Free Cards
    Free More cards (rejected - Catholics need not apply)
    Free halloween masks
    Free Cufflinks (monogrammed for Tubridy, of course)
    Free fudge
    Free Southern Star newspaper
    Free Opinion magazine
    Free Print from book (gorgeous, apparently)
    Free crisps and earplugs
    Free greetings cards
    Free Beatles book
    Free bottle with fairy lights
    Free Hot Chocolate Bomb
    Free Personalised Christmas Stocking
    Free Novelty Mug
    Free Handmade Scarf (moss green in colour, and long)
    Free multiple handmade Christmas Cards
    Free John Banville Book (delivered personally to him while shopping)
    Free Barack Obama autobiography (extremely large and heavy)
    Free box of Lindt chocolates (only 8 in box, Tubs not happy)
    Free face mask from Chester Beatty
    Free books
    Free Paul McCartney poster
    Free Aerial photography coffee table book
    Free Christmas jumper
    Free Waterford Festive Star (a magazine)
    Free Holly Bough (a Cork annual)
    Free Santa Beard Face Mask
    Free chocolates from Bean & Goose (called out paucity of Lindt in their freebie, again)
    Free Art from Trish Taylor Thompson (something visual)
    Free Books (from “listener” doing her Marie Kondo clearout)
    Free Shandon Sweets, again
    Free invite to chess convention
    Free Lighthouse Book
    Free chess lessons
    Free Book (Elf Isolation)
    Free crate of Club Orange
    Free Bag of Marbles, (but no "steelies", much to Tubs' chagrin)
    Free Ireland's Own Annual
    Free Band Aid vinyl single, with beautiful artwork (Tubridy checked artwork was included, before accepting it).
    Free Paul McCartney - Back in the CCCP vinyl album.
    Free Box of Turf
    Free Puffin Christmas Decorations
    Free Puffin Christmas Cards
    Free Puffin T Shirt
    Free meal in Kilmore Quay
    Free Motivational Quote Cards
    Free Book (Dauntless Courage)
    Free CD
    Free Personal Guided Tour of St Patrick's Cathedral.
    Free Hand crafted Gin
    Free Crystal Glasses set
    Free Cocktails
    Free Craft Beer Selection
    Free Visit to brewery
    Free "County Mayo in a Jar" x 2 (Wool, Shells, etc)
    Free Vintage 1955 Comic (original copy)
    Free Personalised Water bottle

A big TYFYS to those who flag the freebies, and the requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I'm no legal expert but the soliciting of gifts and exchange of personal gifts for advertising must be in conflict against BAI and RTE codes.

BAI General Commercial Communications Code states that product placement should be transparent (found here https://www.bai.ie/en/codes-standards/#al-block-4 )

The RTE code of standards for employees (surely applies to contractors also?!) states that gifts cannot be solicited. (Page 3 of this doc, as per previous posts). https://namawinelake.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/code-of-business-conduct-sept-10.pdf

It would be worth sending in a complaint as a matter of principle if nothing else.

complaints@rte.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

How must any legitimate advertiser look at how the made guys have their own deals with montrose??

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm no legal expert but the soliciting of gifts and exchange of personal gifts for advertising must be in conflict against BAI and RTE codes.

BAI General Commercial Communications Code states that product placement should be transparent (found here https://www.bai.ie/en/codes-standards/#al-block-4 )

The RTE code of standards for employees (surely applies to contractors also?!) states that gifts cannot be solicited. (Page 3 of this doc, as per previous posts). https://namawinelake.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/code-of-business-conduct-sept-10.pdf

It would be worth sending in a complaint as a matter of principle if nothing else.

complaints@rte.ie

giphy.gif

How must any legitimate advertiser look at how the made guys have their own deals with montrose??

yep.

The show is pretty much Tubridy giving a day-by-day account of his man of leisure lifestyle.

"I popped into a quaint little boutique today and picked up some gorgeous hand-crafted scented overpriced ****e. Then I skipped up to the arts and hobbies shop and bought things that remind me of school. Then I spoke to a homeless person because I had half an hour to kill. Then I rambled into my local bakery and had some lovely Irish buns and then I went into my local independent bookshop and got books. Finally I went to the cinema to see a film about history and then got my messages from my local supervalu, which sells stuff for double the price of Aldi"

It's all thinly veiled product placements to fill the christmas stockings RTE staff, while they beg their listeners for donations to various charities.

No doubt nothing will be done about this, but people might as well send an email to tell this fella where to get off with his It's a Wonderful Life if You're Me schtick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's is simply staggering to scroll through THAT list of freebies that he has received over recent weeks on the show.

Mind blowing and great that a count is being kept of it, because if it wasn't you wouldn't believe so much was sent his way for a shout out on the radio, or free advertising if you want to call it THAT.

No other business would let an employee get so much handed to them foc , it is totally unethical. How the powers that be at rte can let this continue is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,042 ✭✭✭✭walshb

NIMAN wrote: »
    It's is simply staggering to scroll through THAT list of freebies that he has received over recent weeks on the show.

Mind blowing and great that a count is being kept of it, because if it wasn't you wouldn't believe so much was sent his way for a shout out on the radio, or free advertising if you want to call it THAT.

No other business would let an employee get so much handed to them foc , it is totally unethical. How the powers that be at rte can let this continue is beyond me.

And him not at all thinking anything wrong or improper of it...

Pure up his arse greed.....

It's nothing but ego......

• Registered Users Posts: 36 morebarn

So I wrote to complain and received this reply:

Apologies for uploading in an awkward format; but being an older citizen I’m afraid I’m not very computer literate.

Apologies for uploading in an awkward format; but being an older citizen I’m afraid I’m not very computer literate.

morebarn wrote: »

thanks for sharing this.

So if the plan wasn't to solicit gifts, what did they do with the gifts received?

Also, Tubridy solicited a copy of a vinyl on 2nd December for his own personal collection, which I believe he subsequently received. There was no business mentioned in conjunction with this gift.

Fair play for sending the complaint anyway - as futile an act as it may be!

I will be doing likewise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Thank you for posting your response poster. I reckon the next step is the BAI. They have to publish their findings.

That's great work, well done!

As for the reply you received, well there are more holes in it than a Swiss cheese!

The list predates his Christmas "Shop Local" campaign. At a guess, less than 10% of items on his freebie list were as a result of the campaign.

Yes, he did say it wasn't necessary to send "samples", but he never said not to send him freebies.

He specifically asked for freebies, both before and after his campaign.

He criticised the contents of freebies (Lindt chocolate - not enough, Marbles - no steelies), and confirmed the quality of another before accepting (Band Aid single, original sleeve with artwork).

He used the Arnotts promotion as payment for an item that he had sought, and received from a listener.

Anyway, well done again and TYFYS.

Good for you making that complaint and very interesting to see the reply, which, as other posters say, doesn't cover the full picture, and the whole thing comes across badly the way it's put to the listener. There would need to be reminders that this is an ongoing promotion of small Irish businesses, that he doesn't need the products to be sent (or that any sample should be sent directly to a charity (maybe charity shop for sale), and that he shouldn't be wandering into any shops and be handed over freebies. If so he should say to the shop "you give that to (V de P or whoever)
    And I will mention your business". It should be mandatory that any gifts he receives are handed for use by charity and stated to be so.

Maybe he is handing over stuff, but it would be better if he said, eg, "and that candle is going to (eg) V de P, so that somebody without means us able to gift it to a friend this Christmas".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

TYFYS and for going to the effort caller. Are you satisfied with the response?

For me the two fonts used is a bit strange!
    Clearly a lot of the response is an explanation of the Instagram supporting Irish initiative which while it must be lauded and supported isnt actually addressing the issue here.

Just some points:

1. I am not on instagram myself but maybe somebody could attest to if the providers of freebies to ryan are all / partly featured on the Instagram? There must be about 30 or 40 on the list?

2. A good amount of the freebies were recieved since BEFORE the start of the campaign, this very thread will attest to that. So to say that the freebies have been recieved as part of a campaign to help businesses is not accurate. Some may have been received in conjunction with the campaign but absolutely not all, and just because something was received after the campaign was launched in no way means it was received as part of the campaign, but I suspect that this will be the excuse as in fairness theres no way to prove or disprove this so you have to take RTE's word for it.

3. The solication of freebies also is not part of the campaign and is the part of this which leaves the worst taste in my mouth.

4. Asking businesses not to send in freebies is clearly lip service and hollow words as promotion of products which had been sent in continues several times per day.

5. The Arnotts voucher was used as a reward or in exhange for a freebie.

6. What happens with the freebies? Do they become the personal possessions of the host?

Points 3, 4 and 5 are more ethical/moral issues in my opinion. I dont think any written down rule or regulation is being contravened by them but it really is sly, shady, greedy behaviour.
    For a national broadcaster, in receipt of government and licence fee payers funds to spend a decent proportion of a daily programme commenting on the free items received is disgusting. The culture that sees no issue with this is one that is lacking.

Also I wouldn't like to see a tone of 'we can do what we want coz we are helping businesses' come across either. Similar to the 'jealous' or 'typical Irish Begrudgery' defense of any scrutiny.

I physically cant listen to the cnut....it puts me in really bad form...its not good for the soul..

Im a regular reader of this thread though...it just makes me feel better knowing that there are people who find the pr1ck unbearable too....

I hear ya.

I reached a tipping point with it this morning meself - listening to a fella who is riding the gravy train at massive expense to the public lecturing people on the merits of "meitheal" and comparing people with genuine problems to fictional characters from a cheesy 1940s film.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

I've started emailing RTÉ a list of all the gifts he says he received at the end of each week with an image of the section of their code of conduct and the violation highlighted.

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    I've started emailing RTÉ a list of all the gifts he says he received at the end of each week with an image of the section of their code of conduct and the violation highlighted.

Guess who’s going on the naughty list?!

;)

A big “Thank You For Your Service” to all who have or will submit a letter of complaint. I shall break out the Mont Blanc pen (Charles O’Carroll Kelly (father of Ross) ref.) this weekend and write a handwritten letter myself to Dee 4bes. I’m sure Bryan will (perhaps even begrudgingly) acknowledge the “delicious” irony in that.

A big “Thank You For Your Service” to all who have or will submit a letter of complaint. I shall break out the Mont Blanc pen (Charles O’Carroll Kelly (father of Ross) ref.) this weekend and write a handwritten letter myself to Dee 4bes. I’m sure Bryan will (perhaps even begrudgingly) acknowledge the “delicious” irony in that.

For double points, use Basildon Bond paper. It what Tubridy would want.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    TYFYS and for going to the effort caller. Are you satisfied with the response?

For me the two fonts used is a bit strange!
    Clearly a lot of the response is an explanation of the Instagram supporting Irish initiative which while it must be lauded and supported isnt actually addressing the issue here.

Just some points:

1. I am not on instagram myself but maybe somebody could attest to if the providers of freebies to ryan are all / partly featured on the Instagram? There must be about 30 or 40 on the list?

2. A good amount of the freebies were recieved since BEFORE the start of the campaign, this very thread will attest to that. So to say that the freebies have been recieved as part of a campaign to help businesses is not accurate. Some may have been received in conjunction with the campaign but absolutely not all, and just because something was received after the campaign was launched in no way means it was received as part of the campaign, but I suspect that this will be the excuse as in fairness theres no way to prove or disprove this so you have to take RTE's word for it.

3. The solication of freebies also is not part of the campaign and is the part of this which leaves the worst taste in my mouth.

4. Asking businesses not to send in freebies is clearly lip service and hollow words as promotion of products which had been sent in continues several times per day.

5. The Arnotts voucher was used as a reward or in exhange for a freebie.

6. What happens with the freebies? Do they become the personal possessions of the host?

Points 3, 4 and 5 are more ethical/moral issues in my opinion. I dont think any written down rule or regulation is being contravened by them but it really is sly, shady, greedy behaviour.
    For a national broadcaster, in receipt of government and licence fee payers funds to spend a decent proportion of a daily programme commenting on the free items received is disgusting. The culture that sees no issue with this is one that is lacking.

Also I wouldn't like to see a tone of 'we can do what we want coz we are helping businesses' come across either. Similar to the 'jealous' or 'typical Irish Begrudgery' defense of any scrutiny.

Was I satisfied with the RTE response.

Well I feel that they have framed it in such a way as to justify everything and present it as altruistic.

You have summarised, much better than I could , the reasons why that is not the entire picture.

In my complaint I particularly pointed out how unacceptable it is that a presenter would specifically request items for his own use and give adverts sometimes in return.
    This was not addressed in the response.

Also I inquired as to distributing gifts among staff or hoping that such items are given to charities.
    No reference to this in response.

So I was not happy that these points didn’t seem to be clarified. !

In fairness to Tubridy; I am sure that in recent times he made some mention of the production team dealing with the sheer amount of stuff they get and distributing it.

So I do hope that is what happens.
    Apart of course from his personal favourites!

It might be a benefit to some businesses, which I don’t begrudge. But interesting or entertaining radio it is not. For me personally. Mostly I am switching off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Fionnuala, get my best Mont Blanc. That Gerry Thornley is at it again

For double points, use Basildon Bond paper. It what Tubridy would want.

I actually had that as a teenager for my letter writing. Haven’t seen it in about 20 years though, does it still exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Tubs doing a Joe Duffy: How many The Chrismasses have you left, till you doye?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Books
    Iceland

when Clarkson was in ICeland a long time ago, a bottle a wine was £60.

when the lad in school da went to Iceland to watch the football and dat and he ate whale.

Another hint for his Iceland trip.

I actually had that as a teenager for my letter writing. Haven’t seen it in about 20 years though, does it still exist?

Likewise. We must be of an age, so to speak.

I think they are still around.

Books
    Iceland

Cancer ward
    Anti Trump
    Jimmy Stewart
    It’s A Wonderful Life

All we need now is Paul McCartney and Sweets for a full house.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The most Jimmy stewart thing I've ever heard

• Advertisement

Tubs Text Poll

A) Billie Eilish

B) Billy Idol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement