Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wynonna Earp (SyFy) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Stellar episode. That last scene between Wynonna and Doc was really wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really really really love the humour in this show.

The actors delivery of those lines is dead on.

I really really really love the humour in this show. The actors delivery of those lines is dead on.

I actually clutched my chest laughing at 'Isis!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It really was an episode of two halves. First the lightweight and humour filled but then closing out all serious and with feeling.

Good one!

Well that was a cliffhanger! But there's still a few episodes left to build up to a showdown.

Good few funny bits :) Some parts started getting difficult to keep track of.

• Advertisement

I haven't a clue where this is all going, but 4 episodes is a 1/3 of the season still left so hopefully we'll find out soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

God the latest episode (Episode 9) was awful rubbish.

Bulshar is an interesting villain though.

Mr E wrote:
    God the latest episode (Episode 9) was awful rubbish.

I thought so too and I'm seeing a lot of complaints on Twitter (which is usually disproportionately positive). They rely on the 'just go with it' storytelling a bit too much, the reasonings for the whole groundhog situation and Wynonna's decisions were weak.

Is Jeremy supposed to be funny?

And that opening scene was seriously cringey.

The episode where Wynonna and Nicole got cuffed together was one of the best of the whole series but the last two have been pretty poor.

I thought it was good. All felt like a head games episode.

I wasn't expecting Wynonna to break. Though it demonstrates we don't have a infallible hero and now she has a challenge to rise to.

Slydice wrote:
    I wasn't expecting Wynonna to break. Though it demonstrates we don't have a infallible hero and now she has a challenge to rise to.

I noticed they used the same idea each season. Season 1; giving peacemaker to Willa, season 2; handing over the third seal and now giving peacemaker to Bulshar.

I think maybe
    Bulshar and Julian are connected in the same way Waverly and Jolene were. An evil to balance the good. The ring might be made of the same material as peacemaker, it glows different colors too like the gun does

• Advertisement

Aww Doc :(

I was all like.. yep.. he's gotta go.

Then I was wondering what's gonna happen to him. So my guess is either he'll become the next big baddie or there'll be some kinda of redemption arc. Though, because of the firefighter, I'm leaning towards the baddie angle.

When they said Bulshar in the garden, I guessed the snake. Decent enough reveal all the same. I'm not up to date with Supernatural but I can't remember them having the snake.

Last episode next week (this week actually) I'm expecting more of a major cliffhanger than the last two seasons have had.

Really enjoyed those two episodes and it sets up next season brilliantly.

Usually more vagina talk :)

Episode 11 was only OK, but episode 12 was great. Bonkers, but great.

Special effects were very ropey though. Those animated roots from the garden door were dodgy as f**k. :)

Good setup for the next season though, definitely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think this show has any budget whatsoever. They didn't even have the money for a simple car crash earlier this season, instead having to rely on an in-car reaction shot, and quick "look out!" dialogue. It coasts on the charisma and swagger of its cast - definitely not on its presentation :)

Saying that, the Snake effects were done well. It was obvious they had to pick carefully how they wanted to do them and the choose well. The vines tho .. :)

Well that was a rollercoaster. Fun! Right at the end I really thought they were gonna wrap it up and a new arc could start but then like.. hold on.. what!!? So I guess we'll be seeing some Garden episodes next season.

Wynonna Earp Season 4 In Limbo, Despite Greenlight From SYFY
    Twitter followers of the show “Wynonna Earp” demonstrated the power of a scared fanbase over the last 24 hours, as issues involving the production company IDW may affect the return of the show for a fourth season.

The SYFY paranormal drama, which features the demon-hunting descendant of Wyatt Earp, has become a fan favorite for its inclusive storytelling (including a long-running lesbian romance) and quick wit. “Earp” was renewed by SYFY for a fourth season in July 2018, as revealed during the show’s San Diego Comic-Con panel. However, Deadline reported Friday that IDW at this time “cannot proceed with production on a fourth season.”

The “Earp” cast, along with creator Emily Andras, are quite active on social media, and Thursday afternoon a series of comments on Twitter indicated that fans might have reason to be concerned about the show’s future. Andras initially commented on Twitter that fans might need to get ready to “fight for the show” — her original tweet was deleted, but a follow-up tweet declared:

This was because the hashtag #FightForWynonna had begun trending online almost immediately, with fans expressing their love for the show and fear that it might join the ranks of “Shadowhunters” and “American Vandal” as prematurely canceled. And series star Melanie Scrofano wasn’t able to allay any fears, replying to a fan that “I don’t know anything, unfortunately. All we know is we aren’t shooting right now and don’t know why.”

Friday, a representative from the network stated that “SYFY ordered Season 4 of Wynonna Earp from IDW and is completely committed to the series. This has not changed.”

According to an official statement from IDW, “We wanted to share that IDW is committed to continuing to tell the ‘Wynonna Earp’ story. Much like the fans, we are passionate about not only the series, but the comics, the characters and the overall message that the ‘Wynonna Earp’ franchise carries. We are in the process of working out the details for how the ‘Wynonna’ story will continue and will share new details very soon.”

In market filings published by Business Insider and picked up by The Mary Sue, IDW Media disclosed “due to broadened production costs and necessary operating costs,” it would be seeking financial assistance. One show mentioned as a cause was “Earp,” as:

Based upon renewal options exercised by SyFy Network, IDWE has been self-financing production costs for seasons four and five (each 12 episodes) of this award-winning series. IDWE is seeking foreign sales to recoup its anticipated net investment; SyFy Network’s license fees for domestic rights only cover approximately half of IDWE’s costs.

“Earp” is a two-time GLAAD award nominee for Outstanding Drama Series, and in November 2018, “Earp” was named the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Show of 2018 at the People’s Choice Awards, beating out shows such as “The Expanse” and “Supernatural.” Time and time again, the fans of the show have proven their ability to support it.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/wynonna-earp-season-4-syfy-idw-1202046009/

Twitter's going nuts over it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can't see what production costs that might be prohibitive, it's one of the cheapest looking shows on TV

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It seems to be very location based which ups costs over shooting in and around a studio setup. Then there's the studio costs on top. If they're a distance apart that ups costs too. Never mind that TV is lower budget anyway. Could be crew and cast salary negotiations in play too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

pixelburp wrote: »
    Can't see what production costs that might be prohibitive, it's one of the cheapest looking shows on TV
    Sounds more like a cash flow issue; i.e. they don't have the money to bankroll the whole thing until they make it back down the line from international sales.

Ah yeah I get the reasons, just felt passingly funny given the show is so cheap they can't even afford a proper car crash stunt.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Filming on location probably ads a lot to the budget. Especially in locations like rural Alberta with a 6ft layer of snow. Which is a problem when location is an integral part of the show. I mean they could probably cut costs by filming everything in studio and never going outside but a show like this would lose so much from that.

That's mad. I wonder how much those billboards cost? Could they have paid for a few episodes of the show instead?

That's mad. I wonder how much those billboards cost? Could they have paid for a few episodes of the show instead?

I would imagine even a low budget show would be a few million for a series

'Wynonna Earp': Inside the Fight to Save Syfy's Cult Hit

"How do we justify making season four and five if we know we're going to lose money?" says Adam Wyden, the founder of the New York-based hedge fund ADW, which owns 9 percent of IDW Media Holdings, parent company of producers IDW Entertainment.
    Tourists in Times Square during the past couple of weeks may have seen a few billboards with the #FightForWynonna slogan plastered on them, but unlike others of their ilk, they're not paid for by studios and networks gleefully promoting their latest project. Instead, they're a last-ditch effort to save a show that means so much to so many: Syfy's Canadian acquisition Wynonna Earp.

The Syfy drama is produced by IDW Entertainment, an offshoot of IDW Publishing, and was scheduled to begin filming its fourth season earlier this year. In February, die-hard fans of the series suspected there could be trouble brewing when some sleuthing revealed the series, which shoots in Canada, had not already begun production. Some of the show's stars, including lead Melanie Scrofano, confirmed that they had not been filming for season four and that they were unaware of the reasons for the delay, as previous seasons were already in production by that time of year.

What was even more confusing about the stall in filming was that Wynonna Earp, which has received numerous awards and praise from critics for its depiction of queer relationships and strong female characters, scored an early season four renewal and, per a public filing from IDW, plans for a fifth season were already in the works. IDW had made the two-season agreement to air the series domestically, and still expects the company to deliver the series to the network. (Syfy licenses the series but is not involved in its production. Acquiring series like Wynonna Earp has become standard in the TV industry, with other Syfy series like its Van Helsing reboot also falling into that category. Acquired series represent a lower cost to networks, which typically only pay a small fraction of what it would cost to produce the series themselves.)

So, why would a seemingly successful show with a legion of loyal fans suddenly be in the cancellation crosshairs? It's quite simple: money.

IDW Publishing, the company that owns the rights to Wynonna Earp (both the comic and the TV series) is struggling to find the capital to justify filming a promised fourth and fifth season.

The rest continued in the link it's a long piece.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/wynonna-earp-inside-fight-save-syfys-cult-hit-1194940

I wonder if it's IDW fishing to see if Netflix or someone similar will jump in and take some of the production costs off their hands?

• Advertisement

I wonder if it's IDW fishing to see if Netflix or someone similar will jump in and take some of the production costs off their hands?

I think they're fishing to get the season 3 rights bought to fund season 4

SyFy are the ones providing the shortfall in budget; that's not like them at all. Wonder which executive bumped their head?

Must get around to actually finishing Season 3 now, really ran out of steam on this one & its eccentricity.

pixelburp wrote: »
    SyFy are the ones providing the shortfall in budget; that's not like them at all. Wonder which executive bumped their head?

This guy seems to be involved/promoting it a lot

https://twitter.com/joshfromsyfy?lang=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Season 4 will arrive in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Season 4 will arrive in the summer.
    I just assumed this post would tell us production was shut down due to.. well you know what I mean.

ixoy wrote: »
    I just assumed this post would tell us production was shut down due to.. well you know what I mean.

They may well be finished filming. I hope they are. Would be such a shame for everyone involved to have it shut down again.

They have shut down

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xavier8228

Anyone know if season 3 is coming to Netflix soon?

• Advertisement

xavier8228 wrote: »
    Anyone know if season 3 is coming to Netflix soon?

I've asked them several times and they never reply

As far as I recall, one of the reasons idw cited as their reasons for lack of funding for season 4 was that Netflix didn't pick up the international rights for season 3

Season 4 starts July 26th with 6 episodes then a mid season break until the last 4 episodes are ready to air once filming starts again.

It's back and it's full of innuendo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭SourSessions

And plenty of f-bombs too! We can thank the new 10pm slot for that :D

Is it running out of steam? This episode was a bit all over the place...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mr E wrote: »
    Is it running out of steam? This episode was a bit all over the place...
    New director; she may need a few episodes to catch her feet so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Nody wrote:
    New director; she may need a few episodes to catch her feet so to speak.

It was directed by Paulo Barzman. He's directed 15 other episodes.

Ok interested to see where they go with it now after the ending to this weeks episode.

• Advertisement
Advertisement