Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Labour Leadership election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,224 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Apparently, his new Shadow Health minister is pro-Homeopathy (1)... I was expecting better.

Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

We had the BBC promoting UKIP for a good while during the GE campaigns along with the other right wing outlets.
    You're not equating promotion with coverage, are you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,768 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

djpbarry wrote: »
    You're not equating promotion with coverage, are you?

What do you mean? If one were going solely by BBC coverage of the last election, Nigel looked like a prospective PM.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

What do you mean? If one were going solely by BBC coverage of the last election, Nigel looked like a prospective PM.

Apply same logic to RTÉ and Paul Murphy, do you get the same answer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,768 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Apply same logic to RTÉ and Paul Murphy, do you get the same answer?

I don't read RTÉ news so I can't comment there.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I don't know how old you are Lemming but I wasn't following UK politics during the Blair years so I'll take your word for it. We had the BBC promoting UKIP for a good while during the GE campaigns along with the other right wing outlets. A lot of them went pro-Tory at the end to prevent a Labour victory. The media exists to propagate itself. They'll be happy enough with Cameron until someone more right wing emerges when he steps down.

While I agree with the point in bold, I don't see where you are coming from with the idea that the BBC of all people were pro UKIP :confused:

They gave them a good bit of coverage but they are a big story a new(ish) party gaining 4 Million votes, if you think that they should have received less coverage the Greens should have got virtually zero as they only received a million votes.

While I agree with the point in bold, I don't see where you are coming from with the idea that the BBC of all people were pro UKIP :confused:

They gave them a good bit of coverage but they are a big story a new(ish) party gaining 4 Million votes, if you think that they should have received less coverage the Greens should have got virtually zero as they only received a million votes.

The Greens only began to get coverage when it became apparent that Natalie Bennett was a completely incompetent leader. It was hard to gauge the size of the parties at the time given that the Greens had one MP from 2010 whereas UKIP had none though they gained 2 after Mark Reckless and Douglas Carswell defected. I'm not sure that they were pro-UKIP per se, only that they covered UKIP a lot more than the Greens who were roughly the same size at the time.

H. H. Asquith

The Greens only began to get coverage when it became apparent that Natalie Bennett was a completely incompetent leader. It was hard to gauge the size of the parties at the time given that the Greens had one MP from 2010 whereas UKIP had none though they gained 2 after Mark Reckless and Douglas Carswell defected. I'm not sure that they were pro-UKIP per se, only that they covered UKIP a lot more than the Greens who were roughly the same size at the time.

Ah here polling had been showing UKIP support multiples of the Greens for the previous year before the election.
    In 2010 you do have a better point but they didn't receive much "serious" coverage, UKIP make better copy than the Greens because they provoke such a strong dislike reaction, additionally Farange is a skilled politician (in the Borris Johnson, Bertie Ahern sense, not in terms of policy or what he achieves)

Ah here polling had been showing UKIP support multiples of the Greens for the previous year before the election.
    In 2010 you do have a better point but they didn't receive much "serious" coverage, UKIP make better copy than the Greens because they provoke such a strong dislike reaction, additionally Farange is a skilled politician (in the Borris Johnson, Bertie Ahern sense, not in terms of policy or what he achieves)

Good point. Farage is both quite charismatic and easily to dislike for a lot of people which makes for easy sensationalism.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I don't know how old you are Lemming but I wasn't following UK politics during the Blair years so I'll take your word for it. We had the BBC promoting UKIP for a good while during the GE campaigns along with the other right wing outlets. A lot of them went pro-Tory at the end to prevent a Labour victory. The media exists to propagate itself. They'll be happy enough with Cameron until someone more right wing emerges when he steps down.

I'm old enough to remember much of it. And the absolute pillioring that both Thatcher, and in particular Major, received in the few years running up to the Labour landslide election. I can remember the onslaught not just in the reporting media but television shows like Spitting Image, who whilst not coy or shy about mocking any public figures, really singled Major out above all else.

Like I said, the media will report what they think the people will be interested in, and eveyr politician and every political party will whinge & whine when they're the ones getting a particularly rough time of it about how anti-them the media are, etc. etc. etc. repeat ad finitum ad nauseum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

One of corbyns biggest achilles heels is defence
    Much of middle Britain wont like him taking the great out of great Britain

Sky news going a little fox yesterday to emphasise this with a half hour special on how important defence is to the UK complete with interviews with the Tory defence minister

I don't recall anything on the BBC website touting Farage as a potential PM? Open to correction though.

djpbarry wrote: »
    I don't recall anything on the BBC website touting Farage as a potential PM? Open to correction though.

I was referring to the amount of coverage UKIP got though, as RDM_83 again's pointed out, there's a little more to it.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Apparently, his new Shadow Health minister is pro-Homeopathy (1)... I was expecting better.

Presumably treating people with water is pretty cheap , if not necessarily cost effective.

psinno wrote: »
    Presumably treating people with water is pretty cheap , if not necessarily cost effective.

There'll be lavish consultancy fees, fancy clinics, etc.... to with the vials of water. Apparently, it's all part of the "experience" or whatever nonsense these people peddle.

H. H. Asquith

I never get bored of seeing that. Dara O'Briain did a great bit on it as well.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Lemming wrote: »
    This may be a bit of a revelation to you
    [/I].

No revelation to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

If Corbyn is going to present a serious alternative he needs to do so outside of a London "right-on" bubble. Appointing an anti-farming vegan as Agricultural minister is just plain stupid, and rural England will just view her as a big "f*ck you" emanating from Labour. Likewise he needs to ditch any and all mention of stupid quackery like homeopathy, is he going to bring a few crystals into the House of Commons next?

Corbyn's policies to change economic distribution in the UK are popular and he should stand on them, watery fluff like the above will only detract from what could be a potent message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Doesn't seem to be much of a rural constituency for labour to lose.

http://www.viewsoftheworld.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ukelection2015_mapviews.jpg

• Advertisement

psinno wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be much of a rural constituency for labour to lose.

http://www.viewsoftheworld.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ukelection2015_mapviews.jpg

It doesn't matter. The issue is one of credibility. Even if rural England isn't going to vote for you, you still need to come across as being concerned with it - advocating the liberation of the cows and hugging squirrels isn't going to help that wider sense of Labour being fit to govern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Sever Tomorrow

Can anyone fill me in on what channels are airing PMQs live tomorrow (and what time)? I need to tape it so preferably one that's in the SKY guide and not hidden away on the extra channels. Don't think I can get BBC Parliament on the Irish Sky EPG.

You should be able to watch them on Youtube here.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 36,224 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

FTA69 wrote: »
    If Corbyn is going to present a serious alternative he needs to do so outside of a London "right-on" bubble. Appointing an anti-farming vegan as Agricultural minister is just plain stupid, and rural England will just view her as a big "f*ck you" emanating from Labour. Likewise he needs to ditch any and all mention of stupid quackery like homeopathy, is he going to bring a few crystals into the House of Commons next?

Corbyn's policies to change economic distribution in the UK are popular and he should stand on them, watery fluff like the above will only detract from what could be a potent message.

Completely agree, the choice for the Health portfolio is incredibly disappointing.

Alexander is a grassroots campaigning MP who did fantastically on the issue of Lewisham hospital. She's genuinely committed to empowering communities on issues like this and that should be encouraged. In fairness to her, she seems to be responding to queries put to her about McDonnell's supposed belief in homeopathy as opposed to advocating it herself.

That having been said, it's time for them to get a bit cuter and more media savvy and cut out the dinner party sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Most of tomorrow's papers are going with the 'insult' of Corbyn for not singing the UK national anthem and those same papers had the cheek to slag Scots for being too nationalistic last year and at the GE this year. Do as I say, not as I do springs to mind for those hypocritical souls

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Most of tomorrow's papers are going with the 'insult' of Corbyn for not singing the UK national anthem and those same papers had the cheek to slag Scots for being too nationalistic last year and at the GE this year. Do as I say, not as I do springs to mind for those hypocritical souls

TBPF, he's angling for future PM of the nation. He needs to be a great deal more careful about how he carries himself in the public eye. Singing of the national anthem for the country of whom one wants to be PM would be a good start in not fvcking off your prospective voters and an easy "win" in at least how not to shaft ones chances before they've even begun. His actions come across as someone who did not want to be there and didn't give a sh1te about what the event was commemorating and as a result a slap to the face for anyone who was involved or whose relatives were involved.

Given that the Battle of Britain was a pivotal moment in the UK's history (and indeed WW2 itself), and as such is venerated, it was a stupid, stupid thing to do that I would expect from a leftist student who doesn't know their arse from their elbow, not a supposedly experienced politician never mind the leader of a major political party.

Well I am guessing he refused to sing it not because its the UK national anthem, he did it because its "God save the Queen" if it was "Jerusalem" I'd presume he would have.
    Doesn't change the fact that above posters are right and is a big misstep, and though its an understandable conscientious position its a worrying sign on a wider note, Labour have to be more comfortable with English nationalism if only as a counterweight to the accusations that Scotland would control England.
    I'd agree though that its a hypocritical position by the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Wrong man, wrong leader, wrong gig...

I'm beginning to wonder how long Corbyn will last as Labour leader, and that's even before today's speakers questions!

In the rough and tumble of the house of Commons I fear JC will be cut to shreads, specially if Cameron shows no mercy.

I honestly think JCs position as Labour leader is untenable, and I can't see him lasting more than about three weeks, before he hands in his resignation........or is ousted by his own party!

He just shouldn't be in the spotlight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Can anyone fill me in on what channels are airing PMQs live tomorrow (and what time)? I need to tape it so preferably one that's in the SKY guide and not hidden away on the extra channels. Don't think I can get BBC Parliament on the Irish Sky EPG.

If your out and about radio 5 live always has pmq live, with pretty good political punditry after.

Advertisement