Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Labour Leadership election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

• Registered Users Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Not just Sky in fairness! Radio 5 (BBC) had a caller complaining that the males got the 'important' (their emphasis, not mine) shadow cabinet positions.

and the caller should be told to stop being silly

That is the main problem with this quota thing - there is always 'what about this or what about that'. To me, it should be about merit. I have no idea if the female contenders for the 'important' posts are more capable of it over the guys who got them. It looks like Corbyn was a hostage to his own fortune on this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

and the caller should be told to stop being silly

That is the main problem with this quota thing - there is always 'what about this or what about that'. To me, it should be about merit. I have no idea if the female contenders for the 'important' posts are more capable of it over the guys who got them. It looks like Corbyn was a hostage to his own fortune on this one.

I think there were a lot of these people who were hoping Cooper or Kendall would win hence the Independent link I provided earlier. They seem to be venting their resentment now.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The BBC aren't fond of him either.

Neither is The Times. I looked at five reports on Corbyn - all hostile. That's balance for you.

• Advertisement

ads20101 wrote: »

Ha! That's excellent.

Just because he's a public figure doesn't mean he has to accept the ****e that is the public media. He undoubtedly will have press conferences etc and media opportunities.

Doesn't have to work off of their 'hungry' schedules if he doesn't want to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Neither is The Times. I looked at five reports on Corbyn - all hostile. That's balance for you.

I would expect as much from The Times, Sky, The Mail, The Sun, etc... but the BBC seem to have abandoned any pretence at impartiality.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I would expect as much from The Times, Sky, The Mail, The Sun, etc... but the BBC seem to have abandoned any pretence at impartiality.

Are they impartial, or simply very critical?

Recall that the Tories are not exactly fans of the BBC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Horrible behaviour by the media , he has already stated that he accepts he is "fair game" the issue is that they are harassing his family and friends.
    He is interrupted and ignored when trying to respond to the aggressive questioning and mis-quoted.

He has a job to do , not chum around with his mates and then give cynical little "soundbites" and well rehearsed scripts when ready to do so , that is the career politician with the spin machines job. He isnt that type of person , so keep it up Jeremy, ignore them.

He is a genuine and heartfelt man , I wish him patience through this period and i know he will act with grace.

Nice to see someone genuine and interesting in politics

Ha! That's excellent.

Just because he's a public figure doesn't mean he has to accept the ****e that is the public media. He undoubtedly will have press conferences etc and media opportunities.

Doesn't have to work off of their 'hungry' schedules if he doesn't want to.

That's why I could never be a politician. I'd have swung for them. He was on his way home.
    Are they impartial, or simply very critical?

Recall that the Tories are not exactly fans of the BBC!!

Here are a few:

COziCBtWoAAkKkz.jpg:large

COtndAuWsAA5SQx.png:large

CO3WlQ7WcAAF8fM.jpg:large

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

ads20101 wrote: »
    Yes, I thought that too.

He's been a rather maverick backbencher for nearly all of his career. I am not convinced he is truly ready for the sheer personal onslaught that the british media will bring to bare.

A crash course in media training may help big time though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,649 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Really? I think their analysis has been fairly reasonable. Corbyn's a divisive figure, even within his own party - nothing wrong with acknowledging that.

I would also suggest that his choice for shadow chancellor is extremely controversial - you scratch my back and all that.

djpbarry wrote: »

I would also suggest that his choice for shadow chancellor is extremely controversial - you scratch my back and all that.

Who should have got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Who should have got it?
    Personally I'd have gone for Andy Burnham, but that's not my point.

The point is he's appointed his best mate to the top job - there's absolutely nothing wrong with the BBC, or any other media outlet, questioning the wisdom of that decision.

To be fair that is not the point the media are making, they are making this a 'controversial' appointment because it was not a woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Are all of the people who concur with Corbyn's policies and opinions 'far left'?

It appears that public support for Corbyn's policies/opinions is remarkably strong.

56% of people support (31% against) an increase on taxes on incomes of over one million GBP.

This means one of two things:
    A) 31% of those polled are earning over 1 million.
    B) Plenty of voters are idiots and do not vote in their own interests.

I have seen Americans, living in trailer homes, become enraged at the thought of an inheritance tax. The tax only applies to property over $5.43 million!!

'Temporarily embarrassed millionaires'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

mimi90 wrote: »
    Corbyn is the stereotype leftie, all talk but when it comes down to the nitty gritty no action.
    He went on about 50/50 split between men and women in his shadow cabinet, and what does he do when he gets the job, reality hits him a good slap to cop on. He is now promoting the best people for the job, and gender quotas be damned.
    The left lives in a dream world, talks big when they have no power to act on these ideas, but as soon as they get power reality brings them back to earth.

It is split 50/50, with women being in charge of Business, Health, Chief Whip and also Local Government.

Likewise, I love the way that media outlets which have previously derided gender quotas are now rushing out with faux concern about the makeup of Corbyn's cabinet despite the fact it's evenly split with some serious ministries going to women. The media here are already out of the traps and it's pretty clear there is a naked agenda at work here, as usual.

It's a good sign as it shows that those in power and influence are afraid of what Corbyn represents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

An alltime low was plumbed by the Telegraph in urging people who had no connection or sympathy with Labour, not even New Blairite Labour, to join the LP and vote for Corbyn to damage the left as they saw it, and deprive the people of the chance to choose between what both sides deem their best leader. This perversion of democracy must surely constitute some kind of criminal offence. But I suppose it's not the done thing to prosecute the rabid right for attacks on democracy. I wonder if right-thinking people in the USA would remain silent if the Democrat section of the media urged liberals to register as Republicans and vote for Trump in primaries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Or they work for them.

I have seen Americans, living in trailer homes, become enraged at the thought of an inheritance tax. The tax only applies to property over $5.43 million!!

Oh how true. The redder the state, the more rednecks live in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Or 31% realise that though taxing "the rich" more is good to give people a feeling of justice, the fact is the top 25% of earners pay 75% of all taxes already and a higher tax rate can result in a lower tax take for the treasury.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

feargale wrote: »
    An alltime low was plumbed by the Telegraph in urging people who had no connection or sympathy with Labour, not even New Blairite Labour, to join the LP and vote for Corbyn to damage the left as they saw it, and deprive the people of the chance to choose between what both sides deem their best leader. This perversion of democracy must surely constitute some kind of criminal offence. But I suppose it's not the done thing to prosecute the rabid right for attacks on democracy. I wonder if right-thinking people in the USA would remain silent if the Democrat section of the media urged liberals to register as Republicans and vote for Trump in primaries.

Well, allowing anyone a vote was the point of the reforms labour put in place, so I imagine you may have to wait a while for the CPS to get called in

19 states in the US have open primaries & people are indeed encouraged to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

djpbarry wrote: »
    Really? I think their analysis has been fairly reasonable. Corbyn's a divisive figure, even within his own party - nothing wrong with acknowledging that.

That's not why the BBC are suggesting its controversial (though I must admit I like him already)...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34240869

Anyone know anything about Vernon Coaker? That's a pivotal role for Ireland at the moment. Is he from the Blairite neutrality (thinly veiled unionism) trend or from the more Corbyn style nationalist/republican sympathising group?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

She wasn't very convincing. The way that these reporters follow the line that will keep them in with the "in crowd".

They must be desperate not to be included.

Let the "ELECTORATE" decide should be the reply to these "reporters".

Very Bored wrote: »

Anyone know anything about Vernon Coaker? That's a pivotal role for Ireland at the moment. Is he from the Blairite neutrality (thinly veiled unionism) trend or from the more Corbyn style nationalist/republican sympathising group?

Know nothing about him although he does not appear to be in the Corbyn mould

vernon.jpg

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10121/vernon_coaker/gedling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Know nothing about him although he does not appear to be in the Corbyn mould

vernon.jpg

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10121/vernon_coaker/gedling

That's a pity, though its probably sensible decision given the current situation. Its also a fairly minor role in the grand scheme of things so its probably a way of acquiescing the other factions whilst limiting their positions of real influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Nekarsulm wrote: »

T'would be a dream here.

Every Ag minister we have will turn a blind eye to any amount of animal cruelty, farming related or not, lest that lobby kick the ministers ass.

• Advertisement

Very Bored wrote: »
    Its also a fairly minor role in the grand scheme of things

Thats why Cameron got away with appointing Noel Fielding to the role....
    tumblr_locaj98b1w1qeb3i7.jpg

Wait.... what??
    Theresa who...?

Advertisement