Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10?

Options
  • 22-07-2015 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭

I have just got some notification offering me a free upgrade? I'm not very technical. If I take this update will it reset the computer and will I loose everything and start at blank slate?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No is the answer. It will just work like Windows update when it is released in the next couple of weeks. So all your files/programs etc will remain.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

No is the answer. It will just work like Windows update when it is released in the next couple of weeks. So all your files/programs etc will remain.

There will be an option to "Keep all programs, files and Settings". By default this should be enabled during the initial installation. It is possible to just skip everything and upgrade though.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭corkie

I have a HP laptop running Windows 8.1!

I posted the question should I create recovery drive(/disks) before or after the windows 10 update!

On HP laptops you only get this option once, but from my own research there is ways around that. See here but reports of that not work on W8! The disk can be ordered if need be from HP.

A bit more research and came across a method to create a System Image Backup. I was about four DVD's through a backup. While creating this I was researching how to restore this backup! And came across this: -

Following instructions in that I found had corruption in Windows Component Store so I canceled my DVD backup. And ran the fix for it which needed an internet connection to work.

I will be running another system image backup tonight on to USB hard drive, since that backup doesn't wipe other media from the drive.

Edit: Did the backup onto a Hard drive with out wiping data on it! (Allot faster than doing it to DVDs).

Posting the above in case it is a help for someone else!

Regards
    John

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

yoyo wrote: »
    There will be an option to "Keep all programs, files and Settings". By default this should be enabled during the initial installation. It is possible to just skip everything and upgrade though.

Nick

Ok, I'm confused. I always thought an upgrade of an OS essentially meant a new install. With Windows 10 I was thinking I'd have to dual boot with 7?

mordeith wrote: »
    Ok, I'm confused. I always thought an upgrade of an OS essentially meant a new install. With Windows 10 I was thinking I'd have to dual boot with 7?

Your Windows 7 license key will be consumed during the upgrade procedure and it will activate Windows 10 instead. Since windows 8 the Windows upgrade tool has become more advanced. It will let you choose to keep all installed programs that were on your previous install (e.g: Chrome, Word, Photoshop, Steam etc.) along with all the files and settings you have set.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Hugo93

Debating if it is worth taking up space on my ssd for the new install (22gbs reportedly) skipped window 8 for obvious reasons , running 7 on all devices 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Your Windows 7 license key will be consumed during the upgrade procedure and it will activate Windows 10 instead. Since windows 8 the Windows upgrade tool has become more advanced. It will let you choose to keep all installed programs that were on your previous install (e.g: Chrome, Word, Photoshop, Steam etc.) along with all the files and settings you have set.

Nick

So its perfectly safe to download windows 10. And I get a button that allows me to select to keep everything I have. Its just its mostly used for college so I wouldn't want to loose anything I've on it!

Thanks Nick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Nick

Are there any issues then with program compatability and the uograde?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭28064212

So its perfectly safe to download windows 10. And I get a button that allows me to select to keep everything I have. Its just its mostly used for college so I wouldn't want to loose anything I've on it!
    Things can go wrong. OS upgrades are complicated things. You should always have at least one back-up. What happens if your hard-drive dies in the morning?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Start using/backing up your stuff onto one of the many cloud storage services on offer for free today!!!!!! Ones like Microsoft One drive will integrate into the file explorer on windows making it simple to just save stuff to that folder and let it take care of itself uploading. When off line you can still work with the files and access a local copy. Any changes made will sync when you go online again.

Others like google drive, box etc all offer free storage too and are fine for general use. Don't put it on the long finger either you'll end up cursing yourself in the event of a system failure, or with a laptop in the event it's stolen !!!!!

• Advertisement

Pretty much yes. Compare it to upgrading an Android or iPhone. Most of the time you'll have no problems during the upgrade process. It is possible that something may fail. We'll know for certain how the whole process works when it is released the 29th of this month. But yes backup before you begin!
    I'm comparing it to the Windows 8/8.1 upgrade process I have used before with good success.
    Are there any issues then with program compatability and the uograde?
    If your running software fine on Win 7 or 8/8.1 it should work fine. Windows 10 is pretty much a 7/8.1 hybrid. It is possible to throw the developers preview in a Virtual Machine and check if your existing software will work that way.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I reserved my copy of windows 10 a month back - I dont normally have windows Update running on my Windows 8.1 laptop, I like to disable it and download updates manually if I need them - but for this rollout of win10 will I have to enable windows updates and have it running in the background so it will start downloading it or give me an option to download it, or dont you need windows update to be running/enabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I reserved my copy of windows 10 a month back - I dont normally have windows Update running on my Windows 8.1 laptop, I like to disable it and download updates manually if I need them - but for this rollout of win10 will I have to enable windows updates and have it running in the background so it will start downloading it or give me an option to download it, or dont you need windows update to be running/enabled?

Yes.

And thats not a great idea when there are regular 0 day exploits that need patchin. Oh an you cant turn off updates in 10 FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Downloaded it earlier but Google Chrome seem to not work, ones just a blank page.

The new Microsoft Edge isn't a bad search engine either.

BTW Internet Explorer and Edge work perfectly just Chrome doesn't, anybody else have the same problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Downloaded it earlier but Google Chrome seem to not work, ones just a blank page.

The new Microsoft Edge isn't a bad search engine either.

BTW Internet Explorer and Edge work perfectly just Chrome doesn't, anybody else have the same problem?

How did you download it. I have the windows 10 icon in my taskbar. Tried windows updates but nothing coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

catsbanter wrote: »
    How did you download it. I have the windows 10 icon in my taskbar. Tried windows updates but nothing coming up.

I registered early June and as media reported I didn't expect to receive it on launch day but I just happened to click on the icon yesterday evening and it opened up saying Window's 10 is ready to install and off I went.

As for Chrome make sure you switch off compatibility mode if you use that browser.

There was an article on the Journal last night with a way to speed up when you get it, might be worth a look.

Windows 10 + Downloaded a virus file that i can not delete!!!????

I successfully went from clicking the reserve button today, to have the system start the download on the update a few minutes later!

Took the afternoon to download and then update the system + plus time to create a recovery media on USB (HP laptop, see earlier post)

Note: If you set your connection as Metered Connection, you can choose when to download the forced windows updates and there is also a way to block unwanted driver updates if needed!

Any way I was trying to use the Dism command (linked earlier), to cleanup the system image so I could do a system image backup, but it failed at finding the sources online. I was hoping to convert a local file to suitable format and followed instructions incorrectly that lead me to download a file that avg said was a virus, I put it in the virus vault and deleted it from avg.

But the original file is in my download folder and I can not delete the file, even tried admin cmd and it just won't delete!

Edit: Rebooted the laptop and the file was gone!

Regards
    John

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

OPPS

Iv answered everyones question about getting back into windows 10 not easy you sign in to Microsoft and you will have to use same email and password to re access Windows 10 you are locked out and for me i was i use last pass and who remembers passwords any more. Well here you are again the in code is well first access RUN lower left search the web and windows yes thats it now type "netplwiz" I hope this helps every one, it did for me, thank you fo0r looking.

Iv answered everyones question about getting back into windows 10 not easy you sign in to Microsoft and you will have to use same email and password to re access Windows 10 you are locked out and for me i was i use last pass and who remembers passwords any more. Well here you are again the in code is well first access RUN lower left search the web and windows yes thats it now type "netplwiz" I hope this helps every one, it did for me, thank you fo0r looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

My laptop came with Windows 7 Pro preinstalled together with Windows 8 Pro media for future upgrade, if required.

I am still running Windows 7 and would like to upgrade to Windows 10 at some stage in the near future. As Windows 7 was preinstalled, I do not have a serial number - do I need the Win 7 serial number in order to upgrade to Win 10 OR will the Windows 8 Pro serial number, which is marked on the provided CDs suffice?

Not sure how to proceed here. Any help will be welcome.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You don't need your serial number to upgrade. You will need it if you ever have to wipe your laptop and re install Win10 in the future. During the upgrade process the serial key linked to your laptop becomes the serial key for Win 10. You can never go back to old version unless you go and buy an old product key somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

You don't need your serial number to upgrade. You will need it if you ever have to wipe your laptop and re install Win10 in the future. During the upgrade process the serial key linked to your laptop becomes the serial key for Win 10. You can never go back to old version unless you go and buy an old product key somewhere.

Thank you for that information - just to make sure I understand this correctly, I have two questions:

1. Assuming I upgrade to Windows 10, will it be possible to revert to Windows 7 via the Windows 7 recovery disk that I created when I purchased the laptop?

2. In the event that I upgrade, will the Windows 10 serial key become apparent from the upgrade process or after, in the event that I may need to reinstall at some stage?

Many thanks.

I updated yesterday from Win8.1 to Win10 - it upgraded it to Win10 Home edition (on 8.1 it just said windows8.1 with Bing)

My update was not coming through even though I reserved it so got it from here: (gives you choice of 32 or 64 bit creation)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I do have option to go back to win8.1 within a month

If I wanted to go back to 8.1 after that time its a dell laptop and 8.1 can be installed from the protected part of the hard drive (normally partition where the windows installation files are normally invisible when in windows - a lot of laptop/pc manufacturers do this - however I dont think a lot of people would want to go back to windows 8/8.1 because a lot of people didnt like the Tiles and everything in windows 8)

I have found this windows 10 to be buttery smooth so far. Its early days but i think it will be OK - cannot be any worse than Windows8

I would advise before you upgrade (or fresh install) to win10 to download a free auditing device from the net something like Belarc advisor and look for the product key (think its top left) and copy the key into notepad and then save the text file onto a USB key (dont save it to your hard drive just in case your hard drive gets wiped) - then if you do install Win10 and it asks for your valid windows key then you have it on the USB stick. Sometimes these labels underneath laptop get worn and you end up cannot reading the key. Some laptop manufacturers put the key password in the battery compartment of the laptop so look there too.

As a side note if you have an illegal version (naughty you!) of windows 7 or 8 installed and you choose to load to load windows 10 you might find your key wont work and that you might have to purchase (yes buy!) a new key to get windows 10 installed!

For anyone else trying to cleanup there system image with: -

Dism ......... /restorehealth command!

I downloaded the windows 10 iso, mounted it and use that as source for the command and it worked.

I now have a clean system image of Windows 10 backed up!

Windows 10 - Store, Calender, Mail etc won't open! (Greyed out in start menu)

Try different tips to try a resolve this!

wsreset - The application can not be started!
    powershell script - tried it did not work.

I really don't want to be doing a reset of my Laptop, on limited broadband and don't want to reinstall all my apps etc.

Anyone help would be appreciated!

Regards
    John

Hi does anyone know now why I have 2 Download folders in windows 10 now I have upgraded from 8.1 to 10?

I want all my downloads to go to just 1 download folder which was c:\users\*user*\Downloads

but now all my downloads are going to a folder c:\users\*user*\NetHood\Downloads - very confusing!

I even told firefox to save my downloads to c:\users\*user*\Downloads but its still downloading to NetHood folder!

Well I'm happy ClassicShell start menu works with Windows 10

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r3h2yzm4wfjjagm/ClassicShellSetup_4_2_0.exe

(There is an update to 4.2.1 - but I didnt like the start menu in that so I have stuck with 4.2.0 and chose 'classic with 2 column' start menu - there is a windows 7 start menu as well there )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Upgrading to win10 now.

Currently on 20%
    Might go get some sleep. Could be a while.....

Advertisement