Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Bayberry wrote: »
    Just in case you didn't get it - THERE IS NO CONFUSION ON THIS POINT.

Microsoft made it very clear from the very first day that they announced that there would be no charge to upgrade from Win7/8 to Win10 for the first 12 months after the release of Windows 10, and that upgrade would be free for the supported lifetime of the upgraded device.

Do yourself a favour, and write off any website or commentator that made you confused on this issue as a completely unreliable source for anything tech related, and never pay any attention to them ever again.

There may not confusion regarding Windows 10 being free - however, it appears to me that there is some uncertainty regarding a reinstall to a reconfigured laptop or PC, say in the event of a HD replacement or motherboard - see earlier discussion in this thread. It appears that, although it will be possible to create W10 media, post download and installation, the serial number generated is a generic and not a unique number. This suggests to me that the W10 installation will have similar status to an OEM Windows installation, which is not at all the same as a purchased version. Therefore, for users with purchased W7 or W8 on their laptops, who upgrade to W10, they will be essentially downgrading to the equivalent of an OEM W10?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Maidhci wrote: »
    There may not confusion regarding Windows 10 being free - however, it appears to me that there is some uncertainty regarding a reinstall to a reconfigured laptop or PC, say in the event of a HD replacement or motherboard - see earlier discussion in this thread. It appears that, although it will be possible to create W10 media, post download and installation, the serial number generated is a generic and not a unique number. This suggests to me that the W10 installation will have similar status to an OEM Windows installation, which is not at all the same as a purchased version. Therefore, for users with purchased W7 or W8 on their laptops, who upgrade to W10, they will be essentially downgrading to the equivalent of an OEM W10?
    Again, there is no reason for confusion.

The key for an upgrade is associated with a Microsoft account. The "generic" key retrieved by older tools is just that - a placeholder key. If you replace your motherboard, you'll be in exactly the same place that you were with your Windows 7 build - automatic activation is going to fail, and you'll need to call support to get it activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Has anyone come across the issue I have mentioned on previous page? Don't wanna quote it as was big post.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Has anyone come across the issue I have mentioned on previous page? Don't wanna quote it as was big post.

Theres a tool to stop it auto installing its own driver. You need to use that.

ED E wrote: »
    Theres a tool to stop it auto installing its own driver. You need to use that.

Do you know where to find it? Its not the thing on the windows site by any chance is it? Think i came across that already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This might help. Ive seen mention of a tool but havent needed it myself (HD4000).

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/529337/how-to-disable-automatically-downloaded-latest-nvidia-drivers-/

ED E wrote: »
    This might help. Ive seen mention of a tool but havent needed it myself (HD4000).

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/529337/how-to-disable-automatically-downloaded-latest-nvidia-drivers-/

Ill try it hopefully works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Has anyone had a problem where their PC just hangs before the login screen? POSTs fine and starts to boot, and then it just sits on a blank screen until I hard reset the PC. Doesn't happen too often, but its pretty annoying.

Regarding boot times, mine is about 8 seconds longer, from 14.6 to about 22-23, from W7

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Bayberry wrote: »
    Again, there is no reason for confusion.

The key for an upgrade is associated with a Microsoft account. The "generic" key retrieved by older tools is just that - a placeholder key. If you replace your motherboard, you'll be in exactly the same place that you were with your Windows 7 build - automatic activation is going to fail, and you'll need to call support to get it activated.

Actually, there is plenty of reason for confusion. There is no evidence that keys are associated with a Microsoft account. Upgrade users are given a generic key (and it's the actual key, nothing to do with key retrieval tools using a placeholder. The same key can be seen during initial activation) and activation is done through hardware based IDs, exactly the same as in KMS.

From what we've seen, upgrade users are essentially being given the equivalent of an OEM licence, which isn't valid on new hardware.

Microsoft has said that Windows 10 will be the last numbered version of Windows and that they're moving to an iterative release model. It makes sense that they wouldn't give away millions of permanent Windows 10 licences, but rather tie the lifetime of the upgrade licence to individual hardware, so everyone will eventually pay for a full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Access some hidden settings and shortcuts for settings in Windows 10 using a God Mode folder.... pretty cool.

http://www.eteknix.com/unlock-windows-10-god-mode/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭corkie

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (KB3081436) Released

Along with it are the following: -

Security update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB3080333)
    Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)
    Security update for IE flashplayer (KB3087916)

+ updates for older versions of office.

No fix for the store yet, but expect another update within 48 hours for that!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭duckndive

corkie wrote: »
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (KB3081436) Released

Along with it are the following: -

Security update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB3080333)
    Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)
    Security update for IE flashplayer (KB3087916)

+ updates for older versions of office.

No fix for the store yet, but expect another update within 48 hours for that!

This link will act as a workaround to fix the store problem you are having http://winaero.com/blog/fix-store-beta-app-does-not-work-in-windows-10/

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Lots of concerns around for W10 security and privacy.
    Any guide/tutorial available how to keep our data safe before it is too late?

duckndive wrote: »
    This link will act as a workaround to fix the store problem you are having http://winaero.com/blog/fix-store-beta-app-does-not-work-in-windows-10/

Thanks for the link, but I have tried nearly everything mentioned in support threads including the above, with no success!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081438). Now available.

Downloading at present, hopefully will have the fix for the store!

Store still not fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

duckndive wrote: »
    I was having that issue where native apps wouldn't open either using that command in powershell didn't work in the end I done a clean install.

I resolved my store problems by doing a : -

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Had to download another ISO with English International version, because the US version would not allow me to do the above.

Get your ISO from here: -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Regards

John

Now that I have a working store (including the associate apps).

Can anyone recommend essential windows 10 apps (Paid/Free)?

Or what apps have you got for your windows 10?

• Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081444).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081444

Along with it is: - • Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081441).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

corkie wrote: »
    • Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081444).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081444

Along with it is: - • Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081441).

Got a nasty fright, as most people know there were some problems with Board.ie
    yesterday, now thankfully resolved, I kept getting these redirect messages when attempting to Logon and while using the Google Browser to try and get online (Boards) I got this "Start Menu and Cortana arent working" or words to that effect up on the screen and they certainly wernt, I eventually got out of it by pressing "Ctrl+Alt+Del" and messing around with the settings. At one stage I thought that I might have to reinstall the system image (Win 10) that I had copied on an external hard drive and the Repair Disc 10 that I had copied to a DVD. Everything seems to be fine now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

i was running 8.1 on an old dell dimension 9200 tower pc. windows 10 upgrade advisor said i could not upgrade due to there being no driver upgrade for the ati radeon graphics card in the pc. upgraded it anyway manually, graphics card is showing as exclamation marked video controller in device manager, but the default graphics driver that installed is working out ok, text is not crisp, but readable....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

quaidox wrote: »
    i was running 8.1 on an old dell dimension 9200 tower pc. windows 10 upgrade advisor said i could not upgrade due to there being no driver upgrade for the ati radeon graphics card in the pc. upgraded it anyway manually, graphics card is showing as exclamation marked video controller in device manager, but the default graphics driver that installed is working out ok, text is not crisp, but readable....

Try installing the Windows 7 driver. It may work!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

quaidox wrote: »
    I had a similar problem with my old laptop and a nVidia card. I installed Win 8.1 drivers and plays smoothly. Also, in my main rig, soundblaster's driver for Win10 have a bug and there is no sound. So I also installed Win8.1 drivers and works fine.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Should I have had my automatic upgrade by now?
    I signed up yonks ago for the free upgrade to my PC and even got the little icon on my task bar. However it's still there even though my laptop successfully upgraded itself some weeks back. When I click on it I get this;

Windows%2010%20Please%20wait_zpsj8jturcm.jpg

I've even tried leaving this overnight to see would anything happen but next morning it's still the same.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Should I have had my automatic upgrade by now?
    I signed up yonks ago for the free upgrade to my PC and even got the little icon on my task bar. However it's still there even though my laptop successfully upgraded itself some weeks back. When I click on it I get this;

Windows%2010%20Please%20wait_zpsj8jturcm.jpg

I've even tried leaving this overnight to see would anything happen but next morning it's still the same.

go into Start and type windows update. Click on Check for updates. It should pick up the windows 10 upgrade if you reserved your update previously!

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Try installing the Windows 7 driver. It may work!

Nick
    thank will try that...

Wizard! wrote: »
    I had a similar problem with my old laptop and a nVidia card. I installed Win 8.1 drivers and plays smoothly. Also, in my main rig, soundblaster's driver for Win10 have a bug and there is no sound. So I also installed Win8.1 drivers and works fine.
    also thanks for the advice, will give it a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

I've just installed Windows 10 yet I keep getting a blank screen after start up. I'm able to see the screen where I enter my password but after hitting enter the screen goes black and all I can see is my mouse cursor. Ctrl-alt-del does bring up my task manager etc but having restarted my computer a few times I keep getting the same problem, any help on fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Hoki wrote: »
    I've just installed Windows 10 yet I keep getting a blank screen after start up. I'm able to see the screen where I enter my password but after hitting enter the screen goes black and all I can see is my mouse cursor. Ctrl-alt-del does bring up my task manager etc but having restarted my computer a few times I keep getting the same problem, any help on fixing this would be greatly appreciated.
    Try boot to safe mode and see if you can get in that way. If you can just restart and will more than likely be able to log on normally.

Advertisement