Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers pull yet another stroke

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

aunt aggie wrote: »
    We're as bad as each other really, but our kids score higher in maths and literacy. Numbers have dropped in recent years slightly but that's probably due to changes in primary school curriculum ten years ago.

Quite possibly.

11 subjects to teach throughout the week - how can they be done properly? I certainly never feel 'they're, I'm done!' at the end of any week!!

Also, the focus was on 'active learning' and god forbid someone mentioning rote learning in the last few years!!! ALTHOUGH I think that's starting to make a come-back as some things just have to be learned and nattered off. Some of the older teachers I work with often comment that they feel books are now 'dumbed down' in comparison to what they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    (yes, teacher's salaries here are good, but do we want less able graduates going into teaching, as happens in the UK)

Yes, take the least able, put them on zero hour contracts and pay them poorly. This might damage generations of children and ruin economic growth, but it would reduce the Board begrudgery and make some people happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭jcon1913

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    would a company expect its staff to do training during their holidays?

Yes in 20 minute segments or "here watch this tomight" get a bit of cop on. Teachers are well paid. They ought to be more flexible. But theyre not. Thats why all the teacher-bashers are out in force on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Quite possibly.

11 subjects to teach throughout the week - how can they be done properly? I certainly never feel 'they're, I'm done!' at the end of any week!!

No primary school teachers are amazing but the new curriculum was adjusted to allow more time for Maths and English. Standards were dropping because primary teachers were told not to spend as much time on these areas.

Really the issues in education can usually be traced back to policy makers. No matter what country you work in.

They always hop on the newest trend to improve standards they have no recent hands on experience with.

Yes, take the least able, put them on zero hour contracts and pay them poorly. This might damage generations of children and ruin economic growth, but it would reduce the Board begrudgery and make some people happy.

I wouldn't wish zero contract hours on ANYONE.
    Even toilet cleaners should know their hours in advance & allow them to plan around their working life!
    A family member once received a memo in their workplace stating that requests for days off etc wouldn't be tolerated anymore as your "personal life should be worked around your job".

Life is for living people!!!!! Live it!

• Advertisement

No primary school teachers are amazing but the new curriculum was adjusted to allow more time for Maths and English. Standards were dropping because primary teachers were told not to spend as much time on these areas.

Really the issues in education can usually be traced back to policy makers. No matter what country you work in.

Another problem is 50 mins per day allocated for maths and 30 mins per day for religion? (Not that anyone I know spends that time on religion, more like 30 minutes in the week!) but even so. That is the 'demand' made of us. Most days I cover English Irish and Maths. Anything else is a bonus :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

So... they're looking for money for training... this money is not going into their pockets... but OP seems to suggest they're rubbing their greedy little hands all the way to Tenerife... time for a thread lock?

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Yes in 20 minute segments or "here watch this tomight" get a bit of cop on. Teachers are well paid. They ought to be more flexible. But theyre not. Thats why all the teacher-bashers are out in force on this thread.

Teachers aren't flexible?! I've heard it all now! Most teachers go above & beyond what they are paid for, take my word for it!

The reason the teacher-bashers are out in force is because it's JULY and they've got itchy feet & the green-eyed monster is making an appearance. By September, the green-eyed monster will have retreated until October, or December ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

Teachers are in it for the life style.. They should get standard holiday like everyone and be made do summer school or camps...

Then see how many will do it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

jcon1913 wrote: »

The problem with this and similar threads is the teacher bashers do not focus on flexibility or other reasonable points, but adopt a carpet bombing strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Another problem is 50 mins per day allocated for maths and 30 mins per day for religion? (Not that anyone I know spends that time on religion, more like 30 minutes in the week!) but even so. That is the 'demand' made of us. Most days I cover English Irish and Maths. Anything else is a bonus :o

Sorry purplecow, I completely missed that you were a primary teacher from reading your last comment. I was told that time allocated to Maths and Religion was almost the same when the new curriculum was first brought in. I don't have the link to hand but it explained a lot.

A lot of teachers at primary level might not have your freedom or confidence to plan independently of recommendations. Inspectors might not approve but secondary school Maths teachers must love you.

Sorry purplecow, I completely missed that you were a primary teacher from reading your last comment. I was told that time allocated to Maths and Religion was almost the same when the new curriculum was first brought in. I don't have the link to hand but it explained a lot.

A lot of teachers at primary level might not have your freedom or confidence to plan independently of recommendations. Inspectors might not approve but secondary school Maths teachers must love you.

I was lucky this year in that I had 8-10 in my class who really enjoyed Maths :)

Inspectors may not approve no, but if the inspector was to visit Iof course would teach the allocated times! ;)

Hard not to be a teacher basher when 90% can't even do the job or are even
    Interested in it.......

In it for a paycheck

Those who can, do!
    Those who can't, teach!

Jjiipp79 wrote: »
    Interested in it.......

In it for a pay cheque!

Those who can, do!
    Those who can't, teach!

Oh, interesting figures, could you provide a source please? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Teachers are in it for the life style.. They should get standard holiday like everyone and be made do summer school or camps...

They probably are, but I don't have a problem with this. Everyone knows the terms and conditions associated with it and it's open to all to apply. It's not as if it's a 600 pointer course to get into.

Oh, interesting figures, could you provide a source please? :)

I take it you're a teacher... Surely you can find any info you need....

Oh wait it's the "summer" you can't do any work....

"Jjiipp79 wrote: »
    Those who can, do!
    Those who can't, teach!

Sometimes ignorance is right there in your face, making no attempts to disguise itself.

I take it you're a teacher... Surely you can find any info you need....

Oh wait it's the "summer" you can't do any work....

I could, but you came up with the figure so should be obliged to provide the source where you got it from.

Unless the source is "the top of your head" in which case, I could make up any random untrue facts also but that doesn't really contribute much to the discussion does it? :rolleyes:

Wright wrote: »
    Sometimes ignorance is right there in your face, making no attempts to disguise itself.

Ignorance can often be mistaken for truth!

So show us the 'truth' then! ;) Go on, I DARE YOU!

• Advertisement

So show us the 'truth' then! ;) Go on, I DARE YOU!

Sure what would you do with the truth?

Sit on it till summer is out so u can "work" again!

Mod: Banned for trolling posts.

Example of this please.

How about we dump several hundred little monsters, probably fed up, tired, stressed, hormonal little monsters into your day (which is, at best, minimum wage menial tasks, lets face it). Would you still do it? Pros and cons, my simple minded friend, pros and cons...

Sure what would you do with the truth?

Sit on it till summer is out so u can "work" again!

You're probably right. I'm over exerting my brain right now. I need to rest! Thanks for the heads up :cool:

Rightwing wrote: »
    They probably are, but I don't have a problem with this. Everyone knows the terms and conditions associated with it and it's open to all to apply. It's not as if it's a 600 pointer course to get into.
    Example of this please.

How about we dump several hundred little monsters, probably fed up, tired, stressed, hormonal little monsters into your day (which is, at best, minimum wage menial tasks, lets face it). Would you still do it? Pros and cons, my simple minded friend, pros and cons...

Con would be calling them "monsters" ...and prob not the best idea.... But sure it's summer.....schools out..

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Interested in it.......

In it for a paycheck

Those who can, do!
    Those who can't, teach!

:D:D:D

Thanks for the laugh.

Jjiipp (...what?) strikes me as someone who underperformed in second level education and is quite bitter about it. It's the teachers fault surely.

I myself was a lazy prick but was inspired by a handful of my teachers, their commitment to us, the interest they took in us, inspired me to eventually follow in their footsteps, although from a more TEFL/arse around the world perspective. Teachers do an arseload of work behind the scenes; lesson planning, grading, making tests, attending boring meetings, worrying about that one kid and wondering how you can help him... sure there are bad teachers out there. But they also have to do most of that. In my experience most teachers are at least capable and know their stuff. But some are really great people.

Jjiipp (...what?) strikes me as someone who underperformed in second level education and is quite bitter about it. It's the teachers fault surely.

I myself was a lazy prick but was inspired by a handful of my teachers, their commitment to us, the interest they took in us, inspired me to eventually follow in their footsteps, although from a more TEFL/arse around the world perspective. Teachers do an arseload of work behind the scenes; lesson planning, grading, making tests, attending boring meetings, worrying about that one kid and wondering how you can help him... sure there are bad teachers out there. But they also have to do most of that. In my experience most teachers are at least capable and know their stuff. But some are really great people.

I'll be honest, you could not be more wrong. I had my two degrees at 23, and now I am studying at night to another.

See you need to be inspired by people and I'll just do what has to be done. I hope your degree is not reading people online, you would be f**ked...

And I know exactly what teachers do "behind the scenes" I don't need you to tell me. And tbh it takes them Fuk all time to do it. I know teachers that are out the school door almost before the students. And here is what I think, they do nothing when they get home.

Sure how do we know you have two degrees? Could be another figure you're plucking from mid air!;-)

Sure how do we know you have two degrees? Could be another figure you're plucking from mid air!;-)

Well this is a fact.. But I assure you I do, really most people have one at least in fairness.

• Advertisement

Not necessarily. But fair play if you have. Teachers must have done something right. Unless you're a self taught genius!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement