Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's Reminisce!: Old Wrestling Video Games Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

That seemed like the longest delay ever at the time. I used to have a games master magazine with a 6 page preview of the game which I would look at every flippin day until it came out. Was probably the most eager I've ever been for a game to come out as I had just got mad into Wrestling around the time Warzone came out and this game was such a major update in terms of the massive roster and the entrances

Yeah me too. We probably had the same magazine. I remember saving every little bit of money I could cobble together and waited for what seemed like an age. It was probably only delayed a couple of months. IIRC there was some screw up with a distributor or a rights issue or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Gamecube games awful.

WWF Wrestlemania 2000 on N64 was the best of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

The Gamecube games awful.

WWF Wrestlemania 2000 on N64 was the best of the lot.

No Mercy was miles better. Only the first 2 gamecube ones were crap. Both Day Of Reckoning games were quality

I bought an N64 recently and have No Mercy but haven't played it much. I played a friend's Wrestlemania 2000 back in the day though.

Might boot up the N64 during the summer on account of this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Smackdown 2 is king for me. It came out when I was a fresher in.college.

So many days spent with a bunch of mates in the house my cousin and I were living in at the time, playing this and drinking beer, fantastic game and a fantastic 6 months.

I do however blame it for failing 2 of my 6 final exams the first time around.

:mad:

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Who did you all usually pick for season mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Undertaker for me. I actually developed a long-standing hatred for Billy Gunn IRL because in Smackdown 2 he attacked me and prevented me having a match. In my defence, I was young :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I used to use The Rock a lot, he used to have a very unique moveset in the old games with moves made just for him but nowadays I never use him as his moveset is the opposite.
    I meant to mention also that in WWE 2K14, I was either in the top 10 or top 30 (Can't remember which) on the weekly leaderboards for the Defend the Streak mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

WCW / nWo Revenge.
    The first smack down game that had Goldberg in it... Not sure which one it was.
    Warzone
    WCW vs the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I exhausted several joy pads playing Super Wrestlemania on the Sega Mega Drive. It took me about 2 years to figure out how to do finishers, because I had no game manual. I used to try to replicate matches, like dropping 5 elbows onto Warrior with the Macho Man etc.

Jesus, I love that game. The music, everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I exhausted several joy pads playing Super Wrestlemania on the Sega Mega Drive. It took me about 2 years to figure out how to do finishers, because I had no game manual. I used to try to replicate matches, like dropping 5 elbows onto Warrior with the Macho Man etc.

Jesus, I love that game. The music, everything!

Glad I wasn't the only one. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Currently in the fortunate position that I have a PS2 and a Gamecube, I've only played the PS2 games and HCTP was my favourite, however I've lost all my games so gonna buy one or two online, are the GameCube games any better than HCTP or should I stick to what I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Currently in the fortunate position that I have a PS2 and a Gamecube, I've only played the PS2 games and HCTP was my favourite, however I've lost all my games so gonna buy one or two online, are the GameCube games any better than HCTP or should I stick to what I know?

Day of reckoning one and two are the most fun games I have ever played, and that includes any game not just wrestling. Definite purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This game sucked! WWF In Your House. It was more comic book style than anything and had things like Taker whipping out an actual tombstone and breaking it over your back or else Davey Boy Smith would turn into an actual Bulldog and bite you. So bad.

WWF_In_Your_House_(video_game).9.jpg

Omackeral wrote: »
    This game sucked! WWF In Your House. It was more comic book style than anything and had things like Taker whipping out an actual tombstone and breaking it over your back or else Davey Boy Smith would turn into an actual Bulldog and bite you. So bad.

How I looked forward to this game coming out. And how I was disappointed when I got to play it.

Anyone remember when WCW nitro was coming out on the ps1..remember seeing the reviews on cyber net at 4am after the pub... Thinking that looks savage.. Can't wait etc... It was sh1t!
    Got some enjoyment out of it the first play through then realized how bad it was

Anyone remember when WCW nitro was coming out on the ps1..remember seeing the reviews on cyber net at 4am after the pub... Thinking that looks savage.. Can't wait etc... It was sh1t!
    Got some enjoyment out of it the first play through then realized how bad it was

The best part of that game was the menu select screen, where the wrestlers would cut promos if you left them selected for a little while.

Yep remember them well... I think Nash and hall were drunk on theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Who did you all usually pick for season mode?

The main ones I remember were Goldberg for HCTP cause of so many powermoves & Benoit for No Mercy I used to love holding down 'A' & hit iirc 10 German suplexes if you wore your opponent down enough. Used to be able to do the crossface a few ways too.

• Advertisement

So.....

I have the Gamecube bought. And I'm getting Day of Reckoning and Wrestlemania X8 delivered tomorrow.

Temptation for some old school action got too great

Omackeral wrote: »

It was like Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game on steroids. I vaguely remember the TV ad for it which featured on Raw or PPV, maybe even Silvervision tapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I loved The Arcade Game at the time. I used to love the little bits of commentary from Jerry Lawler & Vince McMahon. The different things that would bounce out of the characters if damaged.

Guess who just discovered that his copies of Wrestlemania X8 & Day of Reckoning arrived in today's post (For the GameCube)

THIS GUY!

Can't wait to get home to give them a whirl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

I had to go out and buy Smackdown 2 as well, fortunately the PS3 allows PS1 backward-compatibility

I forgot how hard it was to get a WWF Championship match. I'm up to Fully Loaded now and there have only been two, while the Light-Heavyweight title is on the line every two events

One criticism I have, I hate that winning by KO is an option, and would love to turn it off, but Fatal 4 Ways and Battle Royals last almost half an hour otherwise

Still amazingly fun though. I lol'd at the Undertaker's Tombstone Piledriver, which is just a standard move that the opponents stand up from almost immediately:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Would agree with everyone about how good the two Day of Reckoning games were on GameCube. Along with No Mercy, they would be my favourite wrestling games.

From the top of my head I owned the following:

WWF Steel Cage Challenge (NES) - not bad for the time but didn't have any finishers and all movesets were the same!
    WWF King of the Ring (Gameboy) - not fun at all but loved the Gameboy versions of the theme tunes
    WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade Game (SNES) -bizarre mix of WWF & Mortal Kombat. Loved playing as Doink! Happy Hammer!
    WWF Warzone (N64) - Was really excited about this coming out as the graphics were great for the time. Ended up preferring my mate's copy of WCW/NWO Revenge
    WWF Attitude (N64) - Only picked this up as it was going cheap. Enjoyed the CAW and entrances more than the game.
    WWF No Mercy (N64) - Probably the first wrestling game that I owned which was an excellent game and not just ok as a wrestling fan. Put endless hours into this and loved every second!
    WWE Wrestlemania X8 (Gamecube) - Massively disappointing after waiting ages for it to come out. Collision detection that wiped out every player with most moves ruined it! Only wrestling game I ever traded away too!
    WWE Wrestlemania X9 (Gamecube) - Big improvement on X8 but the career mode is really odd! Almost felt like an old Streets of Rage at times!
    WWE Day of Reckoning 1 & 2 (Gamecube) - Loved both of these but can't really remember the differences between the two. Sadly spent most of the time playing as Benoit which kinda ruins the nostalgia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Some of the modded versions of No Mercy are ridiculously well done, the Legends mod in particular

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mod Note: Deleted some spam that zombie bumped the thread.

Advertisement