Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's Reminisce!: Old Wrestling Video Games Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I used to love going to the snooker hall opposite Darndale to play this, first wrestling video game I ever saw, a good bit before any WWF ones.
    Always remember the Coco Savage character

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I remember creating caws with formulaes that I printed off the net....such a painstaking but ultimately satisfying procedure..... It's to easy nowadays I tells ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Sirsok wrote: »
    I remember creating caws with formulaes that I printed off the net....such a painstaking but ultimately satisfying procedure..... It's to easy nowadays I tells ya!
    God, I did that last year with a "Legend Killer" Randy Orton CAW on Here Comes The Pain. It wasn't fun.

Still there was something charming about it, and made you want to use the caws!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Advanced Gh0st - damn you for hitting me right in the Nostalgia feels today. I'm €70 down, cos I just HAD to buy a Gamecube today, to play Day of Reckoning on!!!:)

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Advanced Gh0st - damn you for hitting me right in the Nostalgia feels today. I'm €70 down, cos I just HAD to buy a Gamecube today, to play Day of Reckoning on!!!:)
    You won't regret it dude! Did you buy DOR 1&2 as the story mode is connected! Get a few mates over for the best multiplayer rasslin fun ya can have in any wrestling series

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sirsok wrote: »
    You won't regret it dude! Did you buy DOR 1&2 as the story mode is connected! Get a few mates over for the best multiplayer rasslin fun ya can have in any wrestling series

I haven't bought them yet, but I fully intend to. Are the Wrestlemania Games any good does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Angron wrote: »
    Another old one from WWE, though it's not really a "wrestling" game was that one that was kinda like Twisted Metal, Crush Hour. Vince owns every TV station, so he puts wrestlers in to shows and ads, and Crush Hour was one of them. Wrestlers drive around in their own vehicles, trying to blow each other up. It was silly, but decent enough fun.
    I remember renting that and thinking it was great craic, could never remember the name of it though. Brock Lesnar was unstoppable in it.
    I loved that game so much. I always played as Billy or Chuck though, they were OP as fcuk in that game :pac:

I actually owe my interest in wrestling to a video game, specifically WCW Mayhem for the PS1. A friend of mine owned it, and we played it when we were at his birthday party, I must only have been 10 years old. That was the first time I'd ever heard of wrestling. I remember we took turns playing through each level (IIRC you progressed through set opponents to win titles), and when it came to my turn nobody wanted me to do it because they didn't think I could beat the next guy (I think it was Sting). I surprised them all by winning, and though my interest in wrestling has come and gone over the years, I can point to that moment as the one that first got me in to wrestling.

A friend of mine and I agree, however, that Smackdown 2 is hands down the best wrestling game of all time, and he still buys the 2K games every year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Ruu wrote: »
    Old! I'll give you old!

'Pro Wrestling' on the Master System.

2.png

Still play this one. Royal Rumble on the Megadrive.

WWF-Royal-Rumble.jpg

Wow pro wrestling on the master system is some blast from the past. Loved it. Must be around 1992 was it?

I haven't bought them yet, but I fully intend to. Are the Wrestlemania Games any good does anyone know?
    I've never owned a GameCube myself but there's a guy on YouTube who does Wrestling game reviews and he has reviewed all of the GameCube games.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/LionsEdge

• Advertisement

Hahaha this post has just made my day and made the thread totally worthwhile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Wow pro wrestling on the master system is some blast from the past. Loved it. Must be around 1992 was it?

Yeah not far off, released in late 80s. I probably got it early 90s. Punch, punch, kick. It was pretty pathetic. :p A+B gave you the 'special moves'.

I updated the OP with details about playing the games on your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

X8 is mediocre, enough so that I never bothered with 19.

Think DoR's the last time you could point to a mainline WWE game actually being a game, instead of the more simulation-focused bent that followed in its tow. I do believe WWE Allstars ventures into more arcade-y territory too, but from all I've seen, it's more 3D fighter than chaotic wrasslin' brawl-for-alling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

X8 you should skip and XIX has the weirdest damn career mode ever. You basically wrestle in like shopping malls and construction sites its difficult to explain but it doesn't work so well.
    I never played DOR 1 or 2
    Sold most of my GameCube games but still have the console and a copy of Resident Evil 4 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Renting WWF Raw on the Megadrive over and over again. You could utilise a steel chair on the outside of the ring and Mr. Fuji's salt bucket - both quite random as weapons were a rarity in WWF at the time.

Buying Wrestlemania the Arcade game for Mega Drive with confo money and being utterly disappointed with how silly it and In your House was.

Wishing I had a N64 as there was a schoolyard rumour it had a ladder match and Royal Rumble.

Wwf Attitude being delayed.

Staying up all night playing Smackdown on PS1, endless fun!

Being disgusted at the ECW Acclaim games because they were Attitude with ecw skins.

Trying to create the WCW b-stars and ECW guys from the invasion angle on Smackdown Just Bring It - it was released several months after the WCW acquisition.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Simpsons Wrestling on the PS1, where Ned Flanders always won 'cause he could pray to God to smite you down... :pac:

Anyone remember Power Move Pro Wrestling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I remember Power Move Pro Wrestling being very poor. I bought it in Smyths at the tail end of the ps1

Anyone play that TNA game?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Yeah tbh its the best graphics of any last gen wrestling game but SEVERELY limited in moves, CAW's, match types and everything really. A top notch counter system tho. Frustrating career mode which you have to play to unlock most of the roster. The Tag Title match vs. LAX in infuriating in particular.
    Ageyev wrote: »
    Wishing I had a N64 as there was a schoolyard rumour it had a ladder match and Royal Rumble.

There used to be a rumour in our yard of Mr. McMahon's office being hidden behind the boiler room in No Mercy, you'd have to hit the fence with a sledgehammer at the end of the room. Also that you could unlock the Hell in a Cell match in the career mode
    Neither were true :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I remember in Smackdown Vs. Raw 2006, in the Parking Lot Brawl there was a rather finicky way to get a win without pinning or making the opponent submit. I forget how to do it exactly, but I think you had to try and throw them at the back door of JBL's limo, or drag them over to it or something when you have two finishers ready to go. Then you'd get a big cutscene where you lob them in to the back of the limo, hop into a car in the lot, and ram door you've thrown them in. It was pretty cool, but I remember it being a pain to get to work right all the time.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Yeah tbh its the best graphics of any last gen wrestling game but SEVERELY limited in moves, CAW's, match types and everything really. A top notch counter system tho. Frustrating career mode which you have to play to unlock most of the roster. The Tag Title match vs. LAX in infuriating in particular.
    I didn't really like the counter system, especially when you consider that the RB button on the 360 controllers always went dodgy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Used to love playing No Mercy the game play was amazingly fun and it was actually fairly challenging at times! . In fairness it plays better then most of the newer wwe games.

Here comes the pain was the best of the smackdown series but the first game really wowed me at the time. Tempted to go back play some of these again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Some cool clips of the madness of the old Gamecube games.
    Pyshics engine led to some great accidental bumps / double team moves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XwwsyQ2iXw

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭zenarcadian

An File wrote: »
    Anyone remember Power Move Pro Wrestling?

Yep. A botched localisation of NJPW Toukon Retsuden. Horrible. To think it gave us the SmackDown engine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yep. A botched localisation of NJPW Toukon Retsuden. Horrible. To think it gave us the SmackDown engine.

I had to Google the name of it, but I remember hating it at first and growing to love it (once I got over the fact that there were no WWF wrestlers in the thing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭zenarcadian

Gash.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

1st WWF game was one for the Amstrad

pay no heed to the guy doing the review

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I did. Excellent graphics (scanning as opposed to WWE's cartoony recreations) but it was very hard. Took a while to get the counter-counter system going but was pretty cool when you could chain 3-4 of them together. I actually quite enjoyed it and I think me and Steve (V1) are the only ones who did. It played like an N64 game, the story was pretty generic (even though I love the Suicide gimmick) but it was EXTREMELY sparse in the metrics most fans care about - different moves, # of playable characters and create-a-wrestler mode, which is severely lacked in all categories.

edit: Jaysus everyone said the same thing before me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Ageyev wrote: »
    Wwf Attitude being delayed.

That seemed like the longest delay ever at the time. I used to have a games master magazine with a 6 page preview of the game which I would look at every flippin day until it came out. Was probably the most eager I've ever been for a game to come out as I had just got mad into Wrestling around the time Warzone came out and this game was such a major update in terms of the massive roster and the entrances

Advertisement