Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's Reminisce!: Old Wrestling Video Games Thread

Options
  • 14-07-2015 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

With a lot of the talk on the WWE 2K16 thread lately being about the older games, it seems to be best that we have a thread dedicated to it.
    So feel free to discuss all of the great wrestling games we've had!

EDIT: If you've got a good enough PC or phone, you can download some of the games and play them on emulators on CoolROM.com. You'd probably be alright with an average PC/Laptop for the N64 and below I'd assume but I could be wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Random memory - spending about 2 hours picking hardcore matches in WWF Warzone for PSone before a table would appear outside the ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Are you serious!?! I'm guessing weapons spawned randomly each time? The first game I remember was through watching my brother play WWF Attitude on the PS1, he's still adamant that it's the best wrestling game that he has played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Are you serious!?! I'm guessing weapons spawned randomly each time? The first game I remember was through watching my brother play WWF Attitude on the PS1, he's still adamant that it's the best wrestling game that he has played.

Weapons spawned randomly and matches started off with weapons randomly littering the ring and ringside. The crowd would randomly throw more into the ring as the match progressed. Tables only ever spawned outside the ring, you couldn't place people on them but you could do any move like a suplex or powerbomb through them. In Attitude they added moves like belly to belly suplexes or a backdrop that would send opponents flying out of the ring which you could use to smash tables. Something you cant even do in the new games..

It was an interesting control scheme in Attitude and Warzone, with different combinations to do the moves, like traditional beat-em-ups. Made it more satisfying when you did the difficult to execute finishers though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Smackdown and smackdown 2 career modes were the best fun ever. The random cut scenes. The title matches and changes. So much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Here Comes The Pain was the best game ever. Back when wrestling games were serious fun, could play through the backstage brawls for hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Old! I'll give you old!

'Pro Wrestling' on the Master System.

2.png

Still play this one. Royal Rumble on the Megadrive.

WWF-Royal-Rumble.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Here comes the pain by a long shot the best wrestling game ever. Great memories there. The entire PS2 Smackdown series were great. When it got to Smackdown vs Raw things started to go downhill imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It was class alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Going red when my Mother saw me playing Smackdown 2: Know Your Role and the Trish Stratus loading screen came on...

ZvUUYEg.jpg?1

"It's a wrestling game, Mam!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Some of the old games were awesome. I loved Warzone. The old Mortal Kombat style inputs for moves, it was satisfying as hell when you did pull off a finisher.

Anyone remember WCW vs The World on PS1? I loved that game too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Some of the old games were awesome. I loved Warzone. The old Mortal Kombat style inputs for moves, it was satisfying as hell when you did pull off a finisher.

Anyone remember WCW vs The World on PS1? I loved that game too

I had wCw vs the world too. Great game!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ah WWF Smackdown, I had an N64, my cousin had a PSone and we'd spend hours in his hous playing TLC games. I once did a senton bomb from either top rope or ladder to the outside and both wrestlers were dead after it, took ages for them to move. We had to pause the game we were laughing so hard.

I loved the THQ games on the N64 too, there was a real weight to them. What was the WCW game called? We'd play 4 player Rumbles on that, secretly hoping one of us would get Disco Inferno. One of the lads got him once was delighted, got into the ring, I ran at him with Jim Neidhart, diving shoulder, instant blood picked him up and threw him out. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Smackdown 2 was just immense. My Created Character had a longer career than Ric Flair. Even though it would obviously get repetitive, seeing low-midcard rivalries develop and end in the background was just as much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

razorblunt wrote: »
    I loved the THQ games on the N64 too, there was a real weight to them. What was the WCW game called? We'd play 4 player Rumbles on that, secretly hoping one of us would get Disco Inferno. One of the lads got him once was delighted, got into the ring, I ran at him with Jim Neidhart, diving shoulder, instant blood picked him up and threw him out. Good time.

Probably WVW/NWO World Tour or WCW/NWO Revenge.
    Revenge is still one of the best wrestling games ever made. Then THQ got the WWF license and gave us Wrestlemania 2000 and of course No Mercy :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I remember Here Comes the Pain, which annoyingly had zero voice acting, so no commentary or interview voices. I remember winning the hardcore title, and discovering that every so often you get attacked backstage and have to defend in an impromptu match, it was great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Angron wrote: »
    I remember Here Comes the Pain, which annoyingly had zero voice acting, so no commentary or interview voices. I remember winning the hardcore title, and discovering that every so often you get attacked backstage and have to defend in an impromptu match, it was great :D

I found the lack of commentary and voices to be a plus to be honest!

Remember when you could through guys over the top rope with moves like Belly to Belly Suplexes etc?

I've never played Game of Reckoning, but had a look online this morning - Jesus, those graphics are great! I'm actually going to buy a Gamecube now, just to play this game!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Another old one from WWE, though it's not really a "wrestling" game was that one that was kinda like Twisted Metal, Crush Hour. Vince owns every TV station, so he puts wrestlers in to shows and ads, and Crush Hour was one of them. Wrestlers drive around in their own vehicles, trying to blow each other up. It was silly, but decent enough fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Probably WVW/NWO World Tour or WCW/NWO Revenge.
    Revenge is still one of the best wrestling games ever made. Then THQ got the WWF license and gave us Wrestlemania 2000 and of course No Mercy :D

It was Revenge. Bloody loved that, I'd almost go looking for a N64 this weekend to get them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

So many wasted hours as a kid on this.

Those 8bit renditions of the wrestlers' theme music are feckin glorious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

This was the first Wrestling game I ever owned:
    14517195467_e06551b305_m.jpg176219-wwf-wrestlemania-commodore-64-screenshot-hulk-hogan-s-attributes.png

but my favourite game I can remember playing was Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth. Me and my mates would make create our own stables, play matches against each other for points and would crown a league winner every few weeks. We'd have to be all in the one room and take turns on the controller. None of this online, headset business back then :p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Think my favourite game is Day Of Reckoning 2, I specifically bought consoles just to play various wrestling games. This along with mario cart provided me and my mates a year of multiplayer fun. DOR 2 really is excellent fun in multiplayer.

Used to enjoy Legends of Wrestling, just due to the nostalgia buzz I used I get off it, love the fact you had 4 possible attires for every wrestler so as to highlight each era.

The legends of Wrestlemania was wwe trying to replicate that, but I wasn't to impressed with that, was cool the way you could transport over the roster from the previous Smackdown v raw.

My mate had an N64 so he got all the good WCW ges whereas I was stuck with WCW Mayhem and Backstage Assualt!

Remember when Attitude came out I begged my dad could I get it, was 40 pound and he sai I could get it but had to lease it myself and pay 2pound a week, I was only about 8 but I'll never forget the feeling of bringing it home and being very careful with it cause it wasn't officially mine and paying my last instalment!

The Xbox original games were quite terrible hated the Wrestlemania 21 game!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Paddy_Mski

Does anyone remember the glitch in Warzone (maybe Attitude?) with Stone Cold? You'd fling a lad into the corner and do about two thousand shoulders to the gut... you'd have to reset the game?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I found the lack of commentary and voices to be a plus to be honest!

Remember when you could through guys over the top rope with moves like Belly to Belly Suplexes etc?

I've never played Game of Reckoning, but had a look online this morning - Jesus, those graphics are great! I'm actually going to buy a Gamecube now, just to play this game!

Played DoR properly for the first time a couple years back. It does hold up. The story mode is enjoyable too, whatwith taking a user-created wrestler from house shows all the way to Wrestlemania. Feels like a workable heir to the No Mercys of the world, since said No Mercy hasn't felt time's kindness.

On another note, the short release window between Akklaim's WWF Attitude and THQ/AKI's Wrestlemania 2000, due to the license handover, became some sort of first-world roulette deal for hopeful kids in 99/00.
    I saved up and bought Attitude on the N64, and a mate got Wrestlemania 2000. He got, for its age, the slickest engine a grappling game'd got and I, in return, once managed to hit a bodyslam after, what felt like, a 400 input combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

Wrestlefest the arcade game. It was my favourite wrestling game of all time. Was a massive Ultimate Warrior fan. The game was 50p per credit and the money I ploughed into it was scary!

On a side note, it's quite sad how many of the wrestlers in that game that have aince passed away in real life at very young ages :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Angron wrote: »
    Another old one from WWE, though it's not really a "wrestling" game was that one that was kinda like Twisted Metal, Crush Hour. Vince owns every TV station, so he puts wrestlers in to shows and ads, and Crush Hour was one of them. Wrestlers drive around in their own vehicles, trying to blow each other up. It was silly, but decent enough fun.

I remember renting that and thinking it was great craic, could never remember the name of it though. Brock Lesnar was unstoppable in it.

Know Your Role was great, loved doing Royal Rumbles. Shut Your Mouth & Here Comes The Pain were the best though. Great rosters, storylines, gameplay. I remember enjoying SVR 2006 I think as well. GM mode was fun. As for the newer ones WWE 12 is the only one I enjoyed; Universe Mode, while flawed, was at least fun to play in that one.

Anyone remember the Corporation vs your faction rivalry on Here Comes The Pain? I always picked the Nation of Domination as the name, I always varied who I picked for the group.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Loved Warzone back in the day, especially the audio, wrestlers shouting their taunts and JR and Vince on commentary were great. And the promo challenges from your opponents in career mode, Farooq clearly just reading his lines or Ahmed going crazy

We also used to play Showdown : Legends of Wrestling, but it was so buggy. Once in a ladder match the ladder went halfway through the ring canvas and started spinning around like a vortex, and any player who touched it got sucked in and stuck, never seen anything like it since

Wasn't Shane McMahon on commentary for WWF Attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Wasn't Shane McMahon on commentary for WWF Attitude?

Yep. Shane and King

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭zenarcadian

Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 on N64 with an adapter cartridge. The king, now and forever.

Advertisement