Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brits at it again....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'll let you in to a secret.

The Brits are actually quiet fond of us. Lots of them live here, love here, holiday here and fall in love with us.

I don't think they were claiming him, just pointing out that he's the first one to come from the British Isles to achieve what he achieved.

The BBC are a British company, so they'd hardly say he's the first from Ireland and Spain to achieve what he achieved.

It's just a thing. That's all. He rose up amongst the ranks, they pointed out he beat all the British fighters to get to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Related:

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers drunk in the street:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3085247/Troubled-star-Jonathan-Rhys-Meyers-looks-worse-wear-disorientated-s-pictured-drinking-bottle-vodka-London-street.html
    Shocking photos have emerged of Irish actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers drinking vodka straight from the bottle on a London street this week.

A sober and dapper Jonathan Rhys-Meyers getting engaged:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2875010/The-Tudors-actor-Jonathan-Rhys-Meyers-engaged-girlfriend-Mara-Lane.html
    The happy couple: British actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Mara Lane have reportedly got engaged after a whirlwind seven month romance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

kneemos wrote: »
    Quite a few unionists would disagree.

Fair enough. But can you think of any successful unionist sportsmen that we've championed as one of our own recently, or ever? I can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

seenitall wrote: »
    Really??

If he were British, do you think that that sentence from the BBC would read "...the first UFC Champion from the UK or the Republic of Ireland." ?

Like heck it would.

But no British folk are to be found obsessing in a permanent state of comedic outrage about the Irish.
    Thats just your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Fair enough. But can you think of any successful unionist sportsmen that we've championed as one of our own recently, or ever? I can't.

Graham Mc Dowell,Darren Clarke,Mcllroy all very much British I think despite our claims on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,571 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This is what the BBC should have said. For their British audience. You know it makes sense.

McGregor, 26, won in Las Vegas to become the first UFC champion from the British Isles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

This is what the BBC should have said. For their British audience. You know it makes sense.

McGregor, 26, won in Las Vegas to become the first UFC champion from the British and Irish Isles.

Think you missed something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

kneemos wrote: »
    Graham Mc Dowell,Darren Clarke,Mcllroy all very much British I think despite our claims on them.

They're Northern Irish though. It'd depend on your pov as to whether they're British or Irish. For your point to be valid it'd have to be about someone such as Wayne Rooney. Irish roots but he was born in England and identifies as English.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

SoulTrader wrote: »

Yes, I remember reading both of those. The Brenda Fricker quip is pretty accurate.

The OP is prob wrong in this instance, but that don't mean this type of selective nation identity doesn't exist. (Yes, double negs, so what?)

Poor aul Johnny R-M. Good actor, potentially great actor. Hope he is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Be serious for one second. I'm the least militant person you could meet when it comes to this subject, but I'd certainly consider anyone born on this island as one of ours.

So the Shankill Butchers are "one of us".

Christ above !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Ole Ole Ole

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

anncoates wrote: »
    Ole Ole Ole

:pac:

Rule Britannia! Edit >>> John Rambo has been shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Grab a load of this bullsh!t :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/33497089

who cares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

They're Northern Irish though. It'd depend on your pov as to whether they're British or Irish. For your point to be valid it'd have to be about someone such as Wayne Rooney. Irish roots but he was born in England and identifies as English.

If they don't have an Irish passport or parents from the ROI, then they're not Irish, at least not where there's a divide between being Irish or British.

McIlroy is British, and from Northern Ireland.

He's not Irish, unless you wish to call him Northern Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

eeguy wrote: »
    If they don't have an Irish passport or parents from the ROI, then they're not Irish, at least not where there's a divide between being Irish or British.

He does have an Irish passport. And a British one. And raises a northern flag

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

They are welcome to him imo

Why? He's a world champion UFC fighter. Whilet you may not like his persona it's all part of the game. Plus at the moment MMA is keeping a lot of young men away from drink and drugs and teaching them all about taking care of their own bodies and nutrition. Instead of spending their money on a couple of grams of coke on a Saturday they're spending it on gym membership and paleo food. A good portion of that is down to Conor McGregor.

I can't understand the Irish begrudgery

As for the op I don't think it's the usual claimed and I'd let them away with that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

I think its great, Ireland and UK together - sure we're practically the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Okay Google, What is Britishness?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo_Farah#/media/File:Mo_Farah_(2)_Moscow_2013.jpg
    Farah was born on 23 March 1983 in Mogadishu, Somalia. He hails from the Isaaq clan and his full name is Mohamed Muktar Jama Farah. He spent the early years of his childhood in Djibouti with his twin brother. He later moved to Britain at the age of eight to join his father, speaking barely a word of English.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

dixiefly wrote: »
    who cares

Exactly. A thread about nothing. It's like some people sit at their keyboards all day waiting to be offended about something. Lifes too short for this sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Argh Britain argh etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Oh noes, we'll all have to wear Union Jack knickers.

(not really)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭seenitall

But no British folk are to be found obsessing in a permanent state of comedic outrage about the Irish.
    Thats just your thing.

My thing? :pac:

I'm not even Irish. (Or British.)

I just know a slyly implied appropriation when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

seenitall wrote: »
    I just know a slyly implied appropriation when I see it.

Ah sure you've seenitall ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Grab a load of this bullsh!t :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/33497089

Quick English lesson here (since that is, ironically, what you are speaking). The 'or' suggests the U.K. has also never had a champion. There's no appropriation implied.

So, I have to ask; troll post or just racism dragging your I.Q. down?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,571 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Wright wrote: »
    Quick English lesson here (since that is, ironically, what you are speaking). The 'or' suggests the U.K. has also never had a champion. There's no appropriation implied.

It's not racism. English or British is not a race. It's xenophobia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Tiocfaidh ár lá

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

eeguy wrote: »

Someone from Northern Ireland can be Irish, British and Northern Irish.

Wright wrote: »

I think that's a thread closing point, it being inarguable while destroying the premise of the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭seenitall

I think that's a thread closing point, it being inarguable while destroying the premise of the OP.

The appropriation is implied and not direct; it is still there. You're free to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

They're just stating the first champion from the ''British Isles'', another contentious term but it's largely used geographically, in the same sense that Scandinavia is apart from mainland Europe. We shouldn't be too precious about being lumped in together culturally.

Advertisement