Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brits at it again....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I hate the Brit rags claiming any of our successful sportsmen and women as their own just as much as the next man, but I don't think that's what they did in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

They are welcome to him imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Not sure they're trying to claim him there really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't think they're claiming it just giving a statistic.
    Doubt anyone could see him as British in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

2 posts in, that's gotta be some kind of record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Come on, he's even got a ginger beard !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's ok OP.

If he acts like the late Richard Harris and goes on a mad bender causing mayhem he'll be Irish again

I doubt he drinks though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

mikemac1 wrote: »
    It's ok OP.

If he acts like the late Richard Harris and goes on a mad bender causing mayhem he'll be Irish again

I doubt he drinks though

Or when he looses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't think they're claiming it just giving a statistic.
    Doubt anyone could see him as British in fairness.

Ya but why do they need to say Ireland and UK? Why not just Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

McGregor, 26, won in Las Vegas to become the first UFC champion from the Republic of Ireland or Kyrgyzstan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

It's ok OP.

I doubt he drinks though
    He does drink I've seen an interview where him and paddy hoolahan are sipping on a glass of some 20k bottle of whiskey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

It's ok OP.

I doubt he drinks though

Or to quote Brenda Fricker, "When you're winning an Oscar, you're British; when you're drunk at the airport, you're Irish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I say we all join the Real IRA. Who's with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Another overreaction from Irish fans.

What they meant was that McGregor was the first person from either Ireland or the UK to win the UFC.

Given that the UK and Ireland share a common language, timezone, climate, not to mention the huge population of Irish-born people living in Great Britain - 584,118 as of 2011, which is more than the entire population of Connaught (542,547) - only hypersensitive whingers would complain about Irish and British athletes being compared to one another.

If anything, this was even MORE complimentary to McGregor, saying he wasn't just the first of a population of 4.7 million (Ireland), he was the first of a population of 68.8 million (Ireland and the UK) to win it.

Get over it!

Ya but why do they need to say Ireland and UK? Why not just Ireland?

Because the UK has a vastly greater number of MMA fighters and it adds to his achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Grab a load of this bullsh!t :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/33497089

It was actually originally different. It said "and" not "or". The United Kingdom was also listed before Ireland. There was uproar about it so they quickly edited it to say 'Or' and flipped the countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

No they're not.

Jade182 wrote: »
    It was actually originally different. It said "and" not "or". The United Kingdom was also listed before Ireland. There was uproar about it so they quickly edited it to say 'Or' and flipped the countries.

Uproar you say.

That's rather embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Down the bottom: "Also related to this story. Superb England take 1-0 Ashes lead"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Where is the bull**** OP, he IS the first fighter to win from the ROI OR The UK. Dont see that as a claim.

• Advertisement

Given it's written for and by the British I don't see why they wouldn't word it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

Another overreaction from Irish fans.

What they meant was that McGregor was the first person from either Ireland or the UK to win the UFC.

Given that the UK and Ireland share a common language, timezone, climate, not to mention the huge population of Irish-born people living in Great Britain - 584,118 as of 2011, which is more than the entire population of Connaught (542,547) - only hypersensitive whingers would complain about Irish and British athletes being compared to one another.

If anything, this was even MORE complimentary to McGregor, saying he wasn't just the first of a population of 4.7 million (Ireland), he was the first of a population of 68.8 million (Ireland and the UK) to win it.

Get over it!

Really??

If he were British, do you think that that sentence from the BBC would read "...the first UFC Champion from the UK or the Republic of Ireland." ?

Like heck it would.

seenitall wrote: »
    Really??

If he were British, do you think that that sentence from the BBC would read "...the first UFC Champion from the UK or the Republic of Ireland." ?

Like heck it would.

Think we're much better at claiming the Brits in truth.
    Golfers,Footballers and anyone successful from the North.

Think we're much better at claiming the Brits in truth.
    Golfers,Footballers and anyone successful from the North.

The North of Ireland, you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Aye.

The North of Ireland, you mean?

Ahhh you're a cunning one alright.

Ahhh you're a cunning one alright.

Be serious for one second. I'm the least militant person you could meet when it comes to this subject, but I'd certainly consider anyone born on this island as one of ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Typical Brits.

Be serious for one second. I'm the least militant person you could meet when it comes to this subject, but I'd certainly consider anyone born on this island as one of ours.

Quite a few unionists would disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Enough of all this talking. Are we gonna do something about this or not??

I say we throw a lasso around the Isle of Man and reel her in.

Are you with me men? :mad:

*women can come too.

Advertisement