Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Weary of rumours, but this all sounds like pretty good casting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Jeffrey Wright in talks to play Commissioner Gordon. Jonah Hill rumoured for the penguin role

Hill could be decent in that role

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jonah Hill now in talks to play the Riddler.

‘The Batman': Jonah Hill in Talks to Play Riddler
    Jonah Hill is in negotiations to play the Riddler in Matt Reeves’ “The Batman,” an individual with knowledge of the project told TheWrap.

Robert Pattinson is set to star as the Dark Knight. Reeves took over the directing gig after Ben Affleck stepped away from the role. Affleck was also expected to play Batman again but then said he would be hanging up the cape for good. Reeves has since described the film as a “defining” and “very personal” story about the Dark Knight, rather than an origin story in the vein of Frank Miller’s beloved “Year One” series.

For months now, reports have said Hill was the frontrunner to play the antagonist the Penguin

https://www.thewrap.com/the-batman-jonah-hill-in-talks-to-play-riddler/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Sounds like this will be a good film. Always love a good Batman movie but the 1989 one will always bring back the fondest memories for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

we've been hearing about this movie for so long and they are still casting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Jeffrey Wright in talks to play Commissioner Gordon. Jonah Hill rumoured for the penguin role

Saw that. I think Jeffrey Wright is a great choice as Gordon. nice gravitas to the man. Great actor.

I like Jonah Hill too and like his dramatic work (Especially Moneyball).

But do we really need another reboot? What is this, Spiderman? I have no problem with them making new movies. For me, it will always be Nolan's Trilogy and The Animated Series but I have no problem with them continuing the movies and thing Patterson is a fine choice.

But come on, The Penguin again? There are more characters out there than The Penguin, The Joker, Harvey Dent and Celina Kyle. Sure, they might be the most well known but let's be honest, the film will not have the expectation of the Nolan Trilogy (Rightly or wrongly) so why not use different characters, more risky characters.

Even if you do want to use more well known characters, depending on your tone, you could do interesting things with The Riddler character (Think Spacey's John Doe in Seven).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Saw that. I think Jeffrey Wright is a great choice as Gordon. nice gravitas to the man. Great actor.

I like Jonah Hill too and like his dramatic work (Especially Moneyball).

But do we really need another reboot? What is this, Spiderman? I have no problem with them making new movies. For me, it will always be Nolan's Trilogy and The Animated Series but I have no problem with them continuing the movies and thing Patterson is a fine choice.

But come on, The Penguin again? There are more characters out there than The Penguin, The Joker, Harvey Dent and Celina Kyle. Sure, they might be the most well known but let's be honest, the film will not have the expectation of the Nolan Trilogy (Rightly or wrongly) so why not use different characters, more risky characters.

Even if you do want to use more well known characters, depending on your tone, you could do interesting things with The Riddler character (Think Spacey's John Doe in Seven).

They really led themselves down a dead end with the recent approach of an older Batman - not much room for manoeuvre after that.

This will be separate canon to the DCEU by all accounts, and will be borrowing from The Long Halloween apparently - so will more than likely feature an array of the classic villains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

kdevitt wrote: »
    They really led themselves down a dead end with the recent approach of an older Batman - not much room for manoeuvre after that.

This will be separate canon to the DCEU by all accounts, and will be borrowing from The Long Halloween apparently - so will more than likely feature an array of the classic villains.

I'm always wary when movies (Usually sequels) bring in multiple bad guys. It always makes them unfocused.

The last couple of the first Batman movies (the ones starting with Burton's movie): Bane, Mr. freeze, Poison Ivy and The Riddler & Two Face. Now I know these had FAR more problems than multiple enemies but it didn't help.

Sam Raimi's Spiderman 3: Sandman, Venom, Green Goblin 2

Even The Dark Knight Rises was the weakest given you had Bane, Talia, cameo from Scarecrow.

Sure, you had The Joker and Two-Face in The Dark Knight but Two-Face was more of a tragic hero in this rather than an out-and-out baddie.

I mean... I am kind of interested in this: Matt Reeves is a decent director if not the most exciting. Patterson is a good choice as Batman. Wright is a VERY good choice as Gordon and Hill is also a fine dramatic actor. Put it this way: It ain't Justice League.......

Have we seen much of Penguin in the movies since Batman Returns though? Or The Riddler since Batman Forever.

Doesn't feel like they've been overdone anyway. Yet-another-Joker might be pushing it but can't see that happening, unless they work in a connection with this new Joker stand alone film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I wouldn't say The Riddler or Penguin are overdone; they've been on the big screen once and that was 25 years ago at this stage. Certainly the portrayals were pretty noteworthy, with DeVito's penguin a macabre monster, while Jim Carrey was at the heigh of his powers playing the Riddler - but there's a clear stretch of runway for some new interpretations.

I quite liked the "Arkham" series' version of Penguin, the crimeboss hobbling around, his monocle a broken bottle lodged in his skull. It was a bit ludicrous looking but very striking.

• Advertisement

I did like Riddler and Penguin on the tv show Gotham but yes they have not featured much in films unlike Joker

I'd love to see the ventriloquist in a real world setting film against Bats. There's so many bad guys in the batverse that it's a bit of a shame they always fall on the regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is this part of the DCEU and Ben Afflecks batman just disappeared and a new bruce Wayne showed up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is this part of the DCEU and Ben Afflecks batman just disappeared and a new bruce Wayne showed up

Separate for now. If Pattinson does well I imagine they'll pull some multi-earths trick to get him in a film with Gadot.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Separate for now. If Pattinson does well I imagine they'll pull some multi-earths trick to get him in a film with Gadot.

Yes....some form of......flashpoint paradox.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I think WB are going to do a version of flashpoint in WW84

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Maybe jonah hill will be announced soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I'm really not that interested in seeing the Catwoman character at all. Kravitz doesn't appeal to me as an actress. This is a downer for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Interesting way to make it up to someone who felt she the victim of racism when refused a chance to audition for TDKR.

She's decent in the films I've seen her in but I was hoping for something more spectacular. Then again based on the shortlist I've seen shared previously, of which Kravitz was on, she's probably the best of the lot.

Edit stole from elsewhere:

Did Readings:
    ana de armas
    eiza gonzalez
    ella balinska

Rumored about Week Ago:
    zazie beetz (booked elsewhere but seriously considered)
    tessa thompson
    lupita nyong'o
    logan browning
    alexandra shipp
    Gugu Mbatha-Raw

Those who actually read is probably the actual shortlist - the rumoured list sounds like pie in the sky stuff though I would been delighted if GMR was cast.

Interesting way to make it up to someone who felt she the victim of racism when refused a chance to audition for TDKR.

She's decent in the films I've seen her in but I was hoping for something more spectacular. Then again based on the shortlist I've seen shared previously, of which Kravitz was on, she's probably the best of the lot.

Edit stole from elsewhere:

Did Readings:
    ana de armas
    eiza gonzalez
    ella balinska

Rumored about Week Ago:
    zazie beetz (booked elsewhere but seriously considered)
    tessa thompson
    lupita nyong'o
    logan browning
    alexandra shipp
    Gugu Mbatha-Raw

Those who actually read is probably the actual shortlist - the rumoured list sounds like pie in the sky stuff though I would been delighted if GMR was cast.

Zazie Beetz (Joker and Deadpool 2) if she was Selina Kyle/Catwoman too might be a tad confusing

Zoe Kravitz is Catwoman in Lego Batman

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

IRL, she is 'Aquaman's' stepdaughter. :D

Catwoman seems to be a difficult one to get right.

Seems to wobble between:

Love interest.
    Villain.
    Anti-hero.
    Hero.
    Basically a female/feminist Batman.

Hope they can strike a good balance this time. Feel like Batman Returns still sets the bar for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So we have Mr Sparkles as Batman and now we have a new love interest for him.

This is definitely going to be more twilight than TDKR.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No, we have indie actor Robert Pattinson, whose CV in the last 10 years has involved some varied, complex characters, perfect for Batman that often plays on the duality of Wayne's existence.

This is also the third appearance of Catwoman, and the films managed to do OK without going "Twilight"

Did Zoe and Rob act together before or maybe was it dated?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

No matter what Robert Pattinson does, he'll always have the tag of "That guy from Twilight" hanging over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I'm really not that interested in seeing the Catwoman character at all. Kravitz doesn't appeal to me as an actress. This is a downer for me

Not interested in Catwomen either and not a fan of hers.
    But who am I kidding , I am going to watch this and any other batman related movies/tv shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Homelander

Kravitz is good in Big Little Lies. Happy enough with the choice.

Advertisement