Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open 2015 - St Andrews - July 16th-19th *mod warning #201*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

When the program changes channel, the recording doesn't, so I've missed the entire play-off and the only way i can find it on youtube or anywhere else is by finding out the winner!! That's the and!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,070 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Comes across as nice guy. Only seems like yesterday he won The Masters.

A Double major winner now.

Fair play to Speith W, W, T4 in 3 majors is not bad going at all.

Dunne can be proud of his 4 days . no shame in what happened today. It's happened to plenty of Pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,842 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

80s Child wrote: »
    When the program changes channel, the recording doesn't, so I've missed the entire play-off and the only way i can find it on youtube or anywhere else is by finding out the winner!! That's the and!

If you went for a cycle during end of open - your not a golf fan.

Let us see how you get on when it is on Sky at 50 euro a month.

If you went for a cycle during end of open - your not a golf fan.

Let us see how you get on when it is on Sky at 50 euro a month.

Ah give me a break! It's a weekly thing and i didn't want to let the boys down. Had the phone off, none of us knew the result and came straight in and turned it on. Sick

Ah give me a break! It's a weekly thing and i didn't want to let the boys down. Had the phone off, none of us knew the result and came straight in and turned it on. Sick

Ok - I'll give you a break - but I missed the first nine holes of an open for the first time in 20 years.

Golf, your in or your not - no breaks.

Yet some headbanger golf fans think - lads like you will come back from your cycle and even know open was on, on sky. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Great to see Zach Johnson take it out. 4 hole playoff seems the fairest way to decide it.

Gutted for the Irish lads could've been so much more exciting. And yet again Scott throws one away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I done the exact same, pressed record, got the kid some dinner and put her to bed, then sat down to watch it. The guys were shaking hands on the playoff tee and it cuts off, BBC you *******.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the real winner here is golf.
    after the joke of a course used for the US Open, and the farce of trying to make guys play earlier this week when their balls wouldn't even stay still on the green, they really needed to deliver today.
    and what we got was the best last round of a major in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

after the joke of a course used for the US Open, and the farce of trying to make guys play earlier this week when their balls wouldn't even stay still on the green, they really needed to deliver today.

Last TWO rounds were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

the farce of trying to make guys play earlier this week when their balls wouldn't even stay still on the green,.

Memorable description of very cold weather!;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

vienne86 wrote: »
    Last TWO rounds were fantastic.

Best last two rounds I remember for a while.

You couldn't have predicted it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jesus, I dunno. Today lacked any atmosphere whatsoever. Felt a bit flat to me.

Ok - I'll give you a break - but I missed the first nine holes of an open for the first time in 20 years.

Golf, your in or your not - no breaks.

Yet some headbanger golf fans think - lads like you will come back from your cycle and even know open was on, on sky. :confused:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say to me here; you're implying that I'm not really into golf because a). I left and recorded it b). I watched it on Sky? Why is it so bad to watch it on Sky?

And 'lads like me', Jesus, be more condescending why don't ya?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I'm not sure what you're trying to say to me here; you're implying that I'm not really into golf because a). I left and recorded it b). I watched it on Sky? Why is it so bad to watch it on Sky?

And 'lads like me', Jesus, be more condescending why don't ya?

I think yer mans had a long day on the hooch solo and is a bit emotional, as we all are, he's talking nonsensical pony on the Harrington thread ;)

I think yer mans had a long day on the hooch solo and is a bit emotional, as we all are, he's talking nonsensical pony on the Harrington thread ;)

Ah....i was thinking. Good looking out!ðŸ‘

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Back on topic please.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Looking back, I really enjoyed the last five days.

The excitement of Paul Dunne making strides, my OH is not a golf fan and was away and came home Saturday, asking who this chap he'd heard about on the news was, the thrilling day that was yesterday, and the shifting of the leader board yesterday and today all added up to a real rollercoaster.

Right down to that last putt from Louis today, twas just great :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Stheno wrote: »
    Looking back, I really enjoyed the last five days.

The excitement of Paul Dunne making strides, my OH is not a golf fan and was away and came home Saturday, asking who this chap he'd heard about on the news was, the thrilling day that was yesterday, and the shifting of the leader board yesterday and today all added up to a real rollercoaster.

Right down to that last putt from Louis today, twas just great :)

The last day was fairly lacklustre and the Irish didn't really do what we wanted them to do, pro or amateur so I don't really know where the gushing comes from. It was ok, just ok.

The last day was fairly lacklustre and the Irish didn't really do what we wanted them to do, pro or amateur so I don't really know where the gushing comes from. It was ok, just ok.

Today didn't compare to yesterday, but to go from Saturday where it looked like Dustin/Willet had it sewn up, to yesterday with Louis and Paul, then to today, made it unpredictable.

That's where the enjoyment came from for me tbh, yup dissapointed for Paul/Paddy, but I was still there at the end watching avidly to see who won

Ah....i was thinking. Good looking out!ðŸ‘

Yes we always have a few "experts" like your man above that come in for the majors.

Don't worry - it is a time that will pass.

• Advertisement

Yes we always have a few "experts" like your man above that come in for the majors.

Eh if that's me then if you read my posts I'm certainly not an expert, I'm a fan but not a player, and I tend to only follow the major tournaments or ones where Irish players are doing well

And your reply is one to someone you were pretty scathing to.

If it's not accepted here to be an "occasional" fan rather than a hardcore follower of the most obscure then it should be said, but it certainly won't do the sport any good.

If your post is not in relation to me then apologies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It's late and everybody needs to calm down, I really do not want to hand out cards or bans now.

I'm assuming this is aimed at me??

Where in any of my posts did i claim to be an expert?
    Did i even give an opinion on the golf itself or rather my own circumstances?
    As far as i am aware, this forum is for anyone who has an interest in golf. Who is to say i don't frequent here quite regularly, to read people's opinions or to get updates when I'm unable to view the golf myself?

You seem to be of the opinion that this forum is for 'a chosen few', the 'the real golfers'. It's these opinions that lead to a number of people outside of the game having a negative opinion of not only golf clubs, but on occasions, people who play golf as these opinions transcends golf clubs around the country. People who believe that they are the 'real members' and that it is 'their' golf club.

Get off your high horse and leave your old world views where they belong, in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

You are like the guy in the bar with your own stool and pity anyone who sits on it.

Boards are meant to be democratic where anyone can constructively contribute - not cliques who do not like occasional posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

lostatsea wrote: »
    It was Johnson's fault. His driver slipped as Willett walked by. Willett apologised but Johnson gave him grief. So much for Zach's much avowed christianity.

Ah right, explains why Willett was mumbling away to his caddy walking down the fairway. They seemed ok by the end of the 18th anyway.

We should really issue warnings and bans but we are going to instead use common sense.

Everybody is welcome in this forum, no matter how often they visit the place. We'd love if you stayed after the majors :)

Ok lads hand up - disappointment got the better of me :)

We move on.

Was a class last day - but just everything you wanted to happen didn't in the end.

1 - Dream would be a Padraig win,
    2 - Then the silver medal looked gone gone before it got going
    3 - Then (I did anyway) wanted to see a Slam in my life.
    4 - Then when that was off - I like Oosthuizen as a player and a boke.

Anyway - nothing happened - was still a great event.

The more you see it - I think the 4 hole playoff is the best of the bad options for a major.

It is clear - Dustin will pick one up, when, not sure. Maybe when he gets over line once, it will be easier.

Day at this stage is just a bit perplexing. He also will get over line at some stage.

Rory in the mix too would have made it even better - class event, is course a bit dated for a modern event is a good question ? and the drive down other fairway on 17 - is interesting. Maybe should be looked at.

Would love to play course, to get a feel for it.

But the pro game looks in good shape all of a sudden - The Woods gap is being filled, he was hardly a loss at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I can see why people think the course might not be up to Major standards anymore but I love it. It's something different. It was soft this week and the wind didn't really blow so if it had of been dry and a bit more wind it would have been a really tough test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

When you think about it what is "major standard" course?

Us open courses with huge rough and 550yd par 4's???

At the end of the day it's going to be the same for all of them playing and it's down to who goes around in the least amount of strokes and it's no coincidence that the usual lads like Speith, Day, Scott and Oost were all there at the end. The cream rises to the top over 72 holes no matter if it's the top toughest courses in the world or grange castle(no offence there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I was initially disappointed when Louis missed the putt and Zach won, simply as I've never warmed to Zach. That changed when I saw him hug his wife and when he welled up in front of the camera where it was clear how much this means to him. Different people have different "game" faces and his, unfortunately for him, is quite cold and distant. He's never going to an Arnold Palmer, but he is a fully deserving winner and good on him. Really liked the way his wife said she just wanted to get back to their kids straight away and this was echoed by Zach "I’m humbled by this, but my legacy should be my kids". Good on them and hope his wife likes her new kitchen! By the way, the ole lad had him at 33/1 too so milky bars on him!

Advertisement