Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for testers for the new Boards.ie

Options
  • 07-07-2015 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks.

We've gotten to the point where we want to do some beta testing with maybe 100 people on the new site. So far, we have the home page, forumview (the standard page you see when you load a forum) and threadview (standard page for a thread) sorted, they're the bulk of functionality for the average visitor and member. UserCP, PMs, Moderation, etc aren't featuring at the moment.

What we'd like is to get a selection of people to help us test features and functionality. It would be very useful to us to get people who are technically savvy too at this early stage, it'll save a lot of time if we're speaking the same language when discussing any issues you're having - but this isn't an absolute requirement. We'd also like to get a mix of mobile and desktop users to make sure we're covering all bases (you'll all be served the same pages, but the responsive design needs to be tested too, hence a mix of big and small screens). The reason I'm coming here is because I'm reasonably confident this community should understand what we're up to with this and what's useful information for us when feeding back any issues or suggestions.

The testing will involve us adding a flag to your account that will let you switch the Beta on and off via a Cookie setting link down on the bottom of the page just like the current Full Site/Touch Site functionality, so you won't be stuck with it unable to do anything it is you'd normally do.

If you're interested in helping out, stick a post below and I'll come back to you and get some particulars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

I'll help out. I'm a .Net Dev so familiar with the procedure. Use Chrome on an Android phone and Safari on the Mac at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I'm sure I can spare a bit of time considering the amount of time I float around here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

glad to help out, i have IT background as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭saggart26

I can help out as well....work in IT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Sure why not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SSeanSS

yeah sure, work in IT too

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

I can take a bash at it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I can help. No great IT knowledge but am on my iPhone half the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I can help. I work in IT and mainly use the desktop client.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'll be up for a bit of that. I regularly access boards from a Laptop / Computer connected to TV / Phone. So I see it from various perspectives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

I can help out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I'd be interested

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

I'm up for it! Desktop client here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm a web dev... could offer some help

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'd be more than willing if y'need me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Sign me up.

Web developer. Mac, Windows, iPhone. Safari + Chrome. Use boards a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

I will help out. I work as tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I can help out give me something to do in work lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I've worked all my life in Software and do not know of this Testing activity you speak of.

Isn't that what users in the production environment are for?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭saggart26

Its pre-release testing, usually done after unit and system testing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Dav, sign me up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I can help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I can help don't actually work in software dev or testing but would be technically minded and use boards on a Nexus 5 daily. So would be able to help with the mobile testing.

I'm scared of change, but this might be a good time to get used to not using the old skin....

Also work in IT, use Chrome/IE in work, Chrome/Safari at home, Full site in Chrome on my phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I can help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'll do it too. 2560 x 1440 so I'll get that end of the responsive layout.. I post by pressing alt + s, so I'm effectively a professional boards user

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'll help out. I have just finished first year of a computing course.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'll help out. Tech savvy and access boards through a collection of devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'm happy to enrole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

saggart26 wrote: »
    Its pre-release testing, usually done after unit and system testing.

Oh don't worry I'm well aware of the different stages of testing. Dav knows this well, and also knows not to try rope me into testing :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement