Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Congratulations on googling all the answers... Glad you can think for yourself.

Some of the questions were about the company that you would be hard pressed to know if you didn't look up the info. Don't understand the issue myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

They were general questions about ianrod eireann readily on the 'about us' section of the website. There's no way I'd know stuff like that off the top of my head. Someone asked one of the questions in this thread yesterday, about how many electrified lines ie operate, and someone gave an incorrect answer here in response to it.

That was me. What is the right answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Went for it for it to see how far I'll get. Got through round one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It’s more important you got all correct of what you attempted rather than all attempted and not all correct. Quality not quantity!!

Well.. I agree, however from doing plenty of these tests. It depends on the test, if it's negatively marked it could change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

khaldrogo wrote: »
    That was me. What is the right answer?

One is the correct answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I wrote two as the wiki states 2 lines. Im guessing most people did the same. I would not think these questions are important really though.

DART Line 1
    The southern portion of the existing DART line is to branch west after Connolly Station to run onto the Western Commuter line, which is to be electrified as far as Maynooth. The branch to Navan is also due to be electrified as far as Dunboyne, with the goal of increasing the frequency of services on these lines.[citation needed]

8329 at Howth in October 1985
    DART Line 2
    The Northern portion of the DART line (North of Connolly Station) will be linked using the DART Underground to the Kildare line via Docklands station at Spencer Dock and Heuston Station. This strategic tunnel will link the DART directly with existing Luas light rail lines, hundreds of bus routes, planned Metro lines and extend the high frequency DART service to the Kildare commuter line. A DART service originating from the Northside (i.e. Howth) will divert to the Docklands and from there through a tunnel to Heuston station to continue service on the Kildare line. In April 2009, it was announced that an electrification project would extend the DART as far as Drogheda.[9] In February 2018 the Irish government announced a 10 year plan to electrify the lines to Drogheda, Maynooth, Hazelhatch, M3 Parkway and Docklands.[citation needed] Part of this plan also included ordering 200 New Emu DART coaches and building new stations. Irish rail are also planning on ordering 100 bi mode coaches to extend DART services before the lines are electrified and to run through the Phoenix park tunnel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

maybe you should have tried it and passed stage 1?
    no need to comment on someone using common sense when it has helped them pass it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

It was a straight up question about infrastructure, looking up the answer is the clever thing to do if you don't know an answer.

Also I did the stage 2 exam. That was tricky, takes an age to get through them. Go at them with a clear head and nothing to distract you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Staplor wrote:
    Also I did the stage 2 exam. That was tricky, takes an age to get through them. Go at them with a clear head and nothing to distract you.

Can you give an idea of the questions asked? Tia.

I wrote two as the wiki states 2 lines. Im guessing most people did the same. I would not think these questions are important really though.

DART Line 1

DART Line 2

Well see, what logic are they using here? Technically it's one electrified line as far as physics goes. I think they meant more so, they operate one service in Dublin Area (generally) and not another service in say Cork.

I'm also thinking there is a fair amount of weight placed on the questions 'select the best 3' and 'select the worst 3'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

TallGlass wrote: »
    Well see, what logic are they using here? Technically it's one electrified line as far as physics goes. I think they meant more so, they operate one service in Dublin Area (generally) and not another service in say Cork.

I'm also thinking there is a fair amount of weight placed on the questions 'select the best 3' and 'select the worst 3'

It does say dart line 1 IS TO BE so 1 is correct I guess.

I had not been in a bus in 30 years and never ever on a DB. I did not have a clue how a bus worked or how they are run in a city I explained that to the interviewer on my last career change. Yet here I am now. Driving a double decker around the city center. In a fairly highly sought after job.

I would think they will expect people not to know anything about trains or stations either.
    And judge you on suitability, reliability and common sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Staplor wrote: »
    It was a straight up question about infrastructure, looking up the answer is the clever thing to do if you don't know an answer.

Just finished them. I'm gone cross eyed after them! I hate those scenario type questions...

It does say dart line 1 IS TO BE so 1 is correct I guess.

I had not been in a bus in 30 years and never ever on a DB. I did not have a clue how a bus worked or how they are run in a city I explained that to the interviewer on my last career change. Yet here I am now. Driving a double decker around the city center. In a fairly highly sought after job.

I would think they will expect people not to know anything about trains or stations either.
    And judge you on suitability, reliability and common sense.

I hear ye! I know nothing much about trains myself to be honest. As I said did a fair few of these tests previously, always got past the first hurdle and never have I seen questions about the company appear, wouldn't surprise me if they came up in the interview as to why you selected certain answers etc..

Your better off been honest rather than going in and talking badly out your arse. They sit there daily, they'll know right away if your spoofing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

Can you give an idea of the questions asked? Tia.

Bit like the last ones rate 1-4 what you'd do in a situation.

Finding letters in something like a word search.

Read a paragraph and answer questions based on it

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Quosarmy

Guys can anybody tell me how long it takes to get a reply, applied around 11.00 this morning, havnt heard anything since, still watching the emails? Is it a lengthy waiting time? TIA

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

and someone gave an incorrect answer here in response to it.

That was me. It isn't incorrect.

There is one DART line with one small branch. Wikipedia was speculatively rewritten by someone assuming that the original DART Underground was going to be built by now, which would have had two distinct lines.

If IE are marking tests based on Wikipedia info rather than what actually exists...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

DART Line 1
    The southern portion of the existing DART line is to branch west after Connolly Station to run onto the Western Commuter line, which is to be electrified as far as Maynooth. The branch to Navan is also due to be electrified as far as Dunboyne, with the goal of increasing the frequency of services on these lines.[citation needed]

8329 at Howth in October 1985
    DART Line 2
    The Northern portion of the DART line (North of Connolly Station) will be linked using the DART Underground to the Kildare line via Docklands station at Spencer Dock and Heuston Station. This strategic tunnel will link the DART directly with existing Luas light rail lines, hundreds of bus routes, planned Metro lines and extend the high frequency DART service to the Kildare commuter line. A DART service originating from the Northside (i.e. Howth) will divert to the Docklands and from there through a tunnel to Heuston station to continue service on the Kildare line. In April 2009, it was announced that an electrification project would extend the DART as far as Drogheda.[9] In February 2018 the Irish government announced a 10 year plan to electrify the lines to Drogheda, Maynooth, Hazelhatch, M3 Parkway and Docklands.[citation needed] Part of this plan also included ordering 200 New Emu DART coaches and building new stations. Irish rail are also planning on ordering 100 bi mode coaches to extend DART services before the lines are electrified and to run through the Phoenix park tunnel.
    This is very wrong.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 fordyjames

Wow, what did you expect someone to do. You sound like the user did something wrong by googling the answer, this is what any smart person would do. Also going by that comment no wonder you didn't get through the personality tests

Anyway Round 2 interview now to complete when I get home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Quosarmy wrote: »
    Guys can anybody tell me how long it takes to get a reply, applied around 11.00 this morning, havnt heard anything since, still watching the emails? Is it a lengthy waiting time? TIA

I did the first part around 11 yesterday morning and got a reply at 12.07am

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Some of the questions were about the company that you would be hard pressed to know if you didn't look up the info. Don't understand the issue myself?

My issue was that poster seemed to have a swipe at me in his initial comment, or it was just bad timing.

I said in my comment that maybe my gender went against me and then a message or two later the opening line was a counter to that which I took offence to.

Sorry if that wasn't the case.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    I did the first part around 11 yesterday morning and got a reply at 12.07am

That ok, dream isn't over yet, very kind of you, thank you so much ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Quosarmy wrote: »
    That ok, dream isn't over yet, very kind of you, thank you so much ðŸ‘

I did the first part last night around 8.30 and got the email this morning at 9.10 for part 2 online assessments

I did the first part last night around 8.30 and got the email this morning at 9.10 for part 2 online assessments

Thanks sweet, I had thought Id made a hames of it, il just have to wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Excuse my ignorance but why would unions oppose this? What could they possibly have against new entrants?

Only legitimate concern I could think of is if the company were offering new entrants inferior terms and conditions compared to existing staff and against current agreements aka shafting the new guy/girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

L1011 wrote: »
    That was me. It isn't incorrect.

There is one DART line with one small branch. Wikipedia was speculatively rewritten by someone assuming that the original DART Underground was going to be built by now, which would have had two distinct lines.

If IE are marking tests based on Wikipedia info rather than what actually exists...

On the IE website itself, Dart is described as Dublin's electric rail system, system as in singular. No other area in the country has an electrified rail line, so the correct answer has to be one. They didn't ask about branch lines or anything else you are blathering on about to try and come across as superior.

"The "Dublin Area Rapid Transit" is our only electrified rail line. From early morning to late at night, fast and frequent DART services operate along the Dublin coastline from Malahide and Howth in the North to Greystones in the South."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Whatever happened to starting on the platform and working your way up? Sorry for asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Breffni1997

Anyone hear anything reagrding results with the stage 2 online assesments ? And do we know when they are planing on taking the firat batch of trainie drivers ?

Thanks ,
    -B

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Infini wrote: »
    Only legitimate concern I could think of is if the company were offering new entrants inferior terms and conditions compared to existing staff and against current agreements aka shafting the new guy/girl.

Yet staff had no problem shafting additional drivers not so long ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Anyone hear anything reagrding results with the stage 2 online assesments ? And do we know when they are planing on taking the firat batch of trainie drivers ?

Thanks ,
    -B

Relax, it hasn't been 48 hrs yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

On the IE website itself, Dart is described as Dublin's electric rail system, system as in singular. No other area in the country has an electrified rail line, so the correct answer has to be one. They didn't ask about branch lines or anything else you are blathering on about to try and come across as superior.

"The "Dublin Area Rapid Transit" is our only electrified rail line. From early morning to late at night, fast and frequent DART services operate along the Dublin coastline from Malahide and Howth in the North to Greystones in the South."

They're not trying to come across as superior, you are coming across very poorly however. Look at a map of the system, you can see it branches at Howth junction hence "from Malahide and Howth in the North".

They answered a question earlier to be helpful.

Advertisement