Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail jobs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Have they gone to Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann before going external thought that was the procedure if they can't get drivers within IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Both, but probably DMU to start with.

Heuston drivers (and Portlaoise) do Cork, Waterford, Westport, Galway and PPT. Open to correction but don't do Kerry/Ballina/Limerick branches. Probally cleared to Limerick but not sure about others.

Many Heuston services are operated by drivers based around the country.

The title "Locomotive Driver" is the grade applicable to drivers of diesel trains weather they be actual loco or DMU.

Heuston do Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Galway and PPT.

Connolly do Belfast, Sligo and Rosslare.

Portlaoise do Cork and Dublin (Portlaoise PWD do the entire country).

Cork do Dublin, Tralee, Cobh and Midleton.

Tralee do Mallow and Cork.

Mallow do Cork, Tralee and Dublin.

Limerick do Dublin, Galway and Waterford.

Waterford do Dublin, Limerick and Athlone.

Athlone do Dublin, Galway, Westport and Ballina.

Galway do Dublin and Limerick.

Ballina and Westport do Athlone only.

Drogheda do Navan, Dublin and Dundalk.

Dundalk do Belfast and Dublin.

Sligo do Dublin.

Longford do Dublin and Sligo.

Did I miss any depots?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Have they gone to Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann before going external thought that was the procedure if they can't get drivers within IE.

Started doing that several years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Can anyone who works with IE give any insights into the job? Is it constantly on the go or is there breaks in between journeys? Does it get boring or monotonous? Any details on how the working day/week would be typically structured?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

GM228 wrote:
    Did I miss any depots?

Galway does Dublin Athlone and Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

TallGlass wrote: »
    Interesting test, can't see why anyone internally wouldn't pass it as they'd be at more an advantage.

The test is simple enough and I'm no great shake at tests and there isn't an advantage in being internal as a good few already in the job would struggle especially the long term ones who may never have had to do an aptitude test.
    All you need is the ability to follow instructions, listen and Write a report and able to read and memorise what you read and use a bit of logic.
    Doing the training course would be the hard part as it's a lot of class work but if you have a good head on your shoulders then you will do OK.
    I'd recommend for anyone who has ever expressed an interest on here to drive a train to apply now for it and best of luck to.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

I've applied anyways. Nearly a 40% wage increase from my current quite stressful public sector job. Questions were not bad, usual public sector 'tell them what they want to hear, but not how things work in practice' sort of stuff.

I've applied for stuff in IR before and never heard a thing back, so won't be getting my hopes up anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Would you think they might look more favorably on someone who knows about trains in terms of models and history Vs someone who doesn't?

In whatever interview (s) you might do is it asked if you have an interest in trains?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Would you think they might look more favorably on someone who knows about trains in terms of models and history Vs someone who doesn't?

In whatever interview (s) you might do is it asked if you have an interest in trains?

Passing the medical, training and knowing the rule book might help. History and love of trains is irrelevant however an interest in the industry your looking to get into would be a good thing.

Releasing the salary was completely unnecessary for the role and they will get thousands of applications and the majority won't even get a rejection never mind put forward.

It won't mean a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Passing the medical, training and knowing the rule book might help. History and love of trains is irrelevant however an interest in the industry your looking to get into would be a good thing.

Releasing the salary was completely unnecessary for the role and they will get thousands of applications and the majority won't even get a rejection never mind put forward.

Why would people apply for a job with no idea of the remuneration?

Also, the online test's will weed out a lot of people straight away, as in a good % probably wouldn't be bothered or have the attention span to spend the 25/30 mins to complete them, or will score so low they'll be eliminated automatically if they do finish. It's outsourced automated HR software, nobody in IR is sifting through these applications at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Why would people apply for a job with no idea of the remuneration?

Also, the online test's will weed out a lot of people straight away, as in a good % probably wouldn't be bothered or have the attention span to spend the 25/30 mins to complete them, or will score so low they'll be eliminated automatically if they do finish. It's outsourced automated HR software, nobody in IR is sifting through these applications this stage.

Majority of job vacancies don't publish the salary on offer and while they could show it on the website putting it into a press release issued to the media was a rather juvenile move.

Just shows how out of touch they are with external recruitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Majority of job vacancies don't publish the salary on offer and while they could show it on the website putting it into a press release issued to the media was a rather juvenile move.

Most public services always have the renumeration in the salary. Personal I rather it showing up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I would apply myself but I'm only 19 so I just miss out on the age limit. Hopefully they'll be hiring again in the future so then I might apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

I would apply myself but I'm only 19 so I just miss out on the age limit. Hopefully they'll be hiring again in the future so then I might apply.

Recruitment will be carried out over the next 4years. just keep your eyes peeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I wouldn't let that stop you. It's a lengthy process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

It’ll be some crack when these new drivers have to be “mentored”.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Just do it for the experience at least you will get an idea of the tests for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Private sector is a wishy-washy 'remuneration dependant on experience' which I read as 'see what they're like and pay as little as we can get away with' :D

Hmmmm....

I failed the stage 1.

Now I wasn't 100% keen on it as I'm in a 9-5 and would rather stick along those lines but I'm a little curious.

Either they're being more stringent on males or else they're looking for a 100% pass rate as most of it is straightforward apart from a few scenarios which relate to questions on legality, insubordination, safety checks etc

I felt given my expertise level, I was putting the right answers to within at least one of the required(4 was generally obvious the worst one and 1/2 might be a coin toss so I'd pick that I'd ask the train driver could the pregnant lady stay in 1st class as 1 and then for 2 if the driver would give her a reduced ticket price as 2) but apparently that's still not good enough to pass a stage one(never mind pass but be down the list).

Given the criteria they require(assuming it's not a push for females) you'd be best of learning the legalities of driving without proper rest, safety checks etc considering you can't seem to get any wrong.

Bit of a silly bar they've set for the average Joe as those questions require inside knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Does it ask if you are M or F at stage 1?

Does it ask if you are M or F at stage 1?

Well they have your details but then there's the usual questions at the end about gender, age, religion etc which you can skip but I personally answered(I usually do)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

Glad my male gender didn't stop me getting through stage 1.

Some of the questions were tricky, on the multiple choice I always went on the side of safety. There were a couple of questions around trains and infrastructure that weren't more than a 20 second google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Interesting test, can't see why anyone internally wouldn't pass it as they'd be at more an advantage.

It's not this test, it's the heap of classes and exams after the standardised tests they may be unwilling (or unable) to get through. Lots of them are happy enough doing whatever until retirement with no inclination to ever go driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Staplor wrote: »
    Glad my male gender didn't stop me getting through stage 1.

Some of the questions were tricky, on the multiple choice I always went on the side of safety. There were a couple of questions around trains and infrastructure that weren't more than a 20 second google search.

Have you received any emails from OPC/IR in regards to the test or is it just you haven't received one to say you failed?

EDIT: Just got mine there!

I got an email this morning inviting me to the next stage of tests. Anyone do these yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I got an email this morning inviting me to the next stage of tests. Anyone do these yet?

Yes, just received it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I'm out.

Maybe it's cause I didn't f*ck the pregnant women to the back carriage or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I'm out.

Maybe it's cause I didn't f*ck the pregnant women to the back carriage or something.

Don't think it was that. I left her in the carriage.

• Advertisement

I'd say whether or not you got through was down to the algorithm within the questions we answer rather than it being down to a specific few questions.

Has anyone completed the next stage yet?

Advertisement