Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Was nice to have 24hr of day dreaming about becoming a train driver.

Anyway, I was honest with my answers, usually I would do a dummy account trail run and then do another one.

Didn't bother, if the system is accurate, then I am not suitable and so be it.

Best of luck to all, doesn't look like plain sailing this process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Passed the 1st stage. Because I'm female?! :p

Had a look at the practice tests just now and they don't seem too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Surprised to hear back that quickly, hopefully next round will be the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

The Union are probably waiting in the sidelines to throw a massive spanner in the works at some stage of this. They'll wait until the company has spent a fortune on the recruitment process and then block it. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I got a reply to say thanks but no thanks.
    As above, it might be down to the algorithm or that I don't subscribe to looking after councilors who need to have the world stopped for them. Oh well.
    Good luck to those who go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Through to the next round, anyone complete the online test yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Any have any insight into the job itself? I'd imagine it would get very boring!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The Union are probably waiting in the sidelines to throw a massive spanner in the works at some stage of this. They'll wait until the company has spent a fortune on the recruitment process and then block it. :eek:

NBRU will be looking for new members so they might have to put up with it. Plenty will be retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Excuse my ignorance but why would unions oppose this? What could they possibly have against new entrants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Excuse my ignorance but why would unions oppose this? What could they possibly have against new entrants?

Overtime reduction maybe?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Pelvis wrote: »

You'd be fairly busy up front, if I had of made it to interview or next stage, then I would be heading to YouTube to find people vlogging that do the job in the UK or what not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

New members are probably more likely to join SIPTU than the NBRU I'd imagine. One of the reasons the NBRU are so virulently against the Go-Ahead bus routes is that they're a SIPTU closed shop (or as close to as is legal)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Pelvis wrote: »

You get to go Choo-Choo for reals

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Would anyone know where you would/could be based after training?

L1011 wrote: »
    New members are probably more likely to join SIPTU than the NBRU I'd imagine. One of the reasons the NBRU are so virulently against the Go-Ahead bus routes is that they're a SIPTU closed shop (or as close to as is legal)

Prehaps, I think most drivers apart from DART are NBRU. Wasn’t aware of the Go-Ahead set up.

NBRU leadership should look at what they are doing so badly wrong because the current members will not last forever.

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Would anyone know where you would/could be based after training?

Be like the ESB, where you selected to be based, you'll go there. So you could technically have thousands applying for the depots in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

I applied last night to see and i was unhappy with the amount of personal detail they were looking for, especially my PPS no. I didn't want to give that out, especially only at the application stage, so i made up one. Got email this morning, i passed the first stage, onto the next one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Prehaps, I think most drivers apart from DART are NBRU. Wasn’t aware of the Go-Ahead set up.

NBRU leadership should look at what they are doing so badly wrong because the current members will not last forever.

They seem to be more focused on opposing things like bus connects than actually standing up for their members terms and conditions at the moment if their Twitter is anything to go by. I think they are more looking out for long serving members rather than newer members of staff or attracting new members.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

TallGlass wrote: »
    Be like the ESB, where you selected to be based, you'll go there. So you could technically have thousands applying for the depots in Dublin.

Do you know if all the jobs are Dublin based or will some be spread out around the country?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Anyone attempted the tests yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

through to the next round.

I put Waterford down myself

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

LouD2016 wrote: »
    Anyone attempted the tests yet?

Yep just gave it a bash there, the first test needs a bit of concentration, ran out of time on that one so not looking the bast for me! best of luck to all!

patrickc wrote: »
    through to the next round.

I put Waterford down myself

Waterford and Cork are good options because they are usually short drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

I applied last night to see and i was unhappy with the amount of personal detail they were looking for, especially my PPS no. I didn't want to give that out, especially only at the application stage, so i made up one. Got email this morning, i passed the first stage, onto the next one :)

I did the same, maybe that was the test to get through???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

ciarang85 wrote: »
    Yep just gave it a bash there, the first test needs a bit of concentration, ran out of time on that one so not looking the bast for me! best of luck to all!

Don't worry about running out of time it's what you got right that counts

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

ciarang85 wrote: »

It’s more important you got all correct of what you attempted rather than all attempted and not all correct. Quality not quantity!!

Staplor wrote: »
    Glad my male gender didn't stop me getting through stage 1.

Some of the questions were tricky, on the multiple choice I always went on the side of safety. There were a couple of questions around trains and infrastructure that weren't more than a 20 second google search.

Congratulations on googling all the answers... Glad you can think for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What's the time limit on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Congratulations on googling all the answers... Glad you can think for yourself.

They were general questions about ianrod eireann readily on the 'about us' section of the website. There's no way I'd know stuff like that off the top of my head. Someone asked one of the questions in this thread yesterday, about how many electrified lines ie operate, and someone gave an incorrect answer here in response to it.

The main questions were all judgement scenarios that you had to rank which decision you would make from 1-4.

Advertisement