Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Jabus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

After another good start, yet another missed cut. Disappointing, but unfortunately not unexpected.

At this stage, it’s difficult not to conclude that the mental side of his game is all over the place. His first round scores show that he can still play well, his second round scores seem to indicate that he finds it very difficult to cope when the pressure comes on. Must be extremely frustrating for him and not sure where he goes from here.

Post edited by abff on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seems like the issues are between the ears as we know he has the ability. Hopefully he can turn it around.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Trampas

Just see Paul has 0 world ranking points so basically tied last.

He has a very long road back from here. I presume he’ll get a go on challenge tour and hope for some results there.

Must be hard for any pro to keep going after the journey he’s on over last few years

He's out in SA now for a run of tournaments on the challenge tour. Will be a MC in the first of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

Fabulous Podcast on The Open Podcast recently on his few days in the limelight as an Am. Comes over as a decent skin. Hope things improve for him.

66 today in Cape Town Open on Challenge tour. Currently T-2. Hopefully a sign last week was a bit of rust and his hard work is paying off.

Dropped back a bit but a cheque all the same. I guess it’s hard to string 4 rounds together for him at the moment. 2 good rounds is something to build on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Motivator

I followed him for a few holes in Mt Juliet last summer for the Irish open and got talking to a guy from Greystones who was saying it’s his set up and the length of time he takes that kills him. Spending that much time over the ball brings too many thoughts into the swing and into the shot. He’s incredibly slow and I know a routine is a routine but he’d be fined if he was at that on the PGA tour.

He comes across as a nice chap so I would like to see him get back to where he was. He must have a few bob behind him to continue on playing abroad and setting up shop in Dubai for a couple of months every year it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

He has fallen from 65th in the world just four years ago to 1692 now, injury problems not helping. Has some good sponsors on board who presumably have stuck with him. Interestingly, he has switched management companies and is now with Bounce Sports based in Edinburgh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Dropped back is a bit kind....he dropped back to 0 OWGR points to remain on 0 OWGR points

Fast start by dunne. Maybe the consent competitive competition is helping

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭paulos53

Unfortunately he couldn't follow up on that fast start. -5 for his first 9 holes, +6 for the next 9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

That's pretty alarming. His head must be completely fried. Don't we often hear how many golfers out there are capable of playing top level golf but don't have the head for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

Hope it's not injury related. Couldn't believe it when I saw the finishing score as he had been T1 (I think!) when I had previously logged on.

Great start by Paul. -6

Yes, and a bogey free round. Even though it’s only a Challenge Tour event, a high finish (or even better, a win) would give his confidence a huge boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I've always felt that if he could get a few decent tournaments under his belt with some consistency it would do him the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭dublin49

there is hardly a worse sport to lose your confidence in as so many moving parts and components.Hope he gets back as had the game at one stage to win big tournaments.

• Advertisement

He played the easier of the 2 courses in use, so it will be a big challenge tomorrow to stay in the top 10.

23 of the current top 29 played the same course as Dunne. I can't find any scoring averages but that indicates tomorrow's course will play a shot or two tougher

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ASBO

He’s +5 for his round today with 6 to play.. we’ll outside the cut line now.

Not entirely unexpected, but still sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

+6 on the harder course for level par total. -5 cut. Hard to see him getting back to anything like where he was based on the last couple of years.

well if he does make it back he will have earned it as there are no easy routes back once the wheels come off,Stenson to an extent and westwood both fought back from a slump but they had more of a profile and less distance to travel but it is possible,Come on Paul ,

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

When I read about Paul Dunne I think of past players whose game deteroriated dramatically very quickly ,Duval ,Michael Campbell,Trvor Immelman, Nick Dougherty and more ,and they all were saying the same stuff but none of them made it back to their previous standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed. In the end of the day though, what else can he say?

The most important thing is that he actually changes things up rather than keeping going and hoping something clicks. Because even one day with a top 20/top 10 etc. there's nothing to say that'll just become a trend unless things are changed drastically.

A familiar story again this week for Dunne on the Challenge Tour.

A round of -5 yesterday put him in 5th place. +8 today and he is missing the cut by at least 4 shots.

• Advertisement

He obviously still has the talent and skills to play golf as seen in his first round, is it psychological at this stage? Lots of young Irish golfers seem to hit the same problems, despite having very successful amateur careers.

Advertisement