Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Paul has been given a late invite for the Irish Open. Hopefully a change of luck for him after a couple of tough weeks on the Challenge Tour. Has missed 20 cuts out of his last 23 tournaments, having reached 65 in the world four years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Paul looks done

His race is run

His golf is quite atrocious;

He should dump the clubs

Head off to the pubs

And drink until he's stocious.....😛

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Xander10

he is such a slow robotic player. I couldn't bear following him around.

That said, I would love to see him throw off the shackles and become a bit more of an instinctive player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

It’s so frustrating watching him. Even the time of the British Open on the last day Oosthuizen was fuming but couldn’t say anything at the time. I followed Paul for a few holes in the Irish open last year and couldn’t take it after 3 or 4 holes I had to go follow other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Criticism of someone for slow play in one thing; making fun of someone who has had a torrid time over the past few years is another thing altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Yeah, that's what I thought too, just bad form. Kicking a dog while they're down & all that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I saw a couple of live feeds of him at the Spanish Open when he should have won but capitulated to Rahm over the closing holes, it was a hard watch. I honestly thought there was something wrong with him, he would be kicked out of any 4ball or society I know, no one could bear playing with someone that tedious

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Luckily for Paul he probably made enough money in his good years to last him. From following his scores he can still shoot a 67 and then follow it up with a 77. Maybe a trip to Bob Rotella would be a good investment.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

From what i read on this thread before i think, he isnt that well off financially. Having bought his parents a house after his Masters win and his own or somethign like that was mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dublin49

I think the problem for golfers whose game disappears is they burn through their resources trying to get back up there,those 20 missed cuts alone would cost a small fortune to play in with not a bob coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

It says career earnings of 3 million.

36k over last 3 seasons isn't going to pay the bills.

His sponsors won't be giving him a huge amount going forward on that form.

Really depends on what he has done with his money apart from buying homes.

Got a spot on Euro tour this week and 7 on his 2nd hole

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

and a 6 on his 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Three double bogeys on his card after 16 (+9)

No birdies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

Bogey, db start. Db from a slice which went ob

Fair play to him still going out there week in week out. Most be gone I say by now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

He must be close to losing his card sadly

Lost his card already on european tour. He is also playing on challenge tour and not going well there also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭Gusser09

29 years of age. Sad to see in a sporting context. At the same time if the lads has a few properties owned outright or even his own home owned he won't go hungry. Hearing about his slow play and frustration of playing partners there must be something psychological there too. I just don't think he is that poor a golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

Is he still slow? Jesus taught this would of been addressed by now!

Recovered to level par but the scoring is really low, cut looking at 4 or 5 under. Will likely be a 24th missed cut from 27 starts going back to last spring. Very sad.

• Advertisement

Yeh it's essentially awful scoring even with the few shots pulled back

He's actually the tied lowest ranked OWGR in the field which surprised me - which is sick because he's genuienly an elite golfer

Unfortunately, it’s almost 3 years since Paul last picked up any world ranking points, so his current world points average is zero. He proved that he can play to a high standard by his performances in 2017 and 2018 and it’s distressing to see how much he’s lost his way.

It’s probably unfair to speculate on what has caused this, but it seems likely that it’s linked to whatever causes him to play so slowly and methodically. As Arnold Palmer said “Golf is a game of inches. The most important are the six inches between your ears.”

Had a hand injury in 2019 which is probably a contributory factor at least. 65th in the world only four years ago, not many have had such a swift decline.

1 under par 70, 2 birdies and 1 bogey, decent round on a tough scoring day at Celtic Manor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

If he could have one week where things click I wonder would it turn everything around again

Bogey, Par, Bogey start

Hopefully doesn’t have a mare

• Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Very happy to see he's made a cut, followed him for a few holes in Adare and to me he still has the game, well dunne to him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Great to see him make the cut with a few shots to spare. Currently in a tie for 18th, only 4 shots off second place. Let’s hope he has a decent weekend and at least holds onto a top 20 spot. A top 10 would be fantastic.

Good stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Jesus he needs this

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement