Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you allergic to?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

SpaceTime wrote: »
    What really annoys me is Ireland is like Mrs Doyle and the guy who says he's allergic to tea and I might kill him!

I keep getting stick from people over refusing beers and actually got an earful from my former boss for refusing a glass of wine from a client at a dinner thing!!!

I'll drink cider but I don't like going too mad on it because it's so sugary.

So these days I usually just end up nursing a cider or two.

Dafuq? Did you tell him to piss off?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Vayda

Nickel and something in hair dye, I think Para-phenylenediamine.

Skin contact. Been warned by the doctor it could cause anaphylactic shock as I've had serious reactions to dye before.

Weird thing is, for years my hair was all sorts of colours and the allergy just appeared and stuck around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Wasp stings, I swell right up. I am pretty lucky i have only been stung once. When I see a wasp, I am pretty alert.
    Nitrile. People who are allergic to latex need to use Nitrile gloves. In one job they had a supply of nitrile gloves specifically for people with latex allergies. At one point they had a supply issue with latex gloves and everyone was asked to use the nitrile gloves while they fixed their supply issue. Ended up horrible sick with a terrible rash on both my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Nickel also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

bluewolf wrote: »
    Dafuq? Did you tell him to piss off?

I was called into a meeting about how I was being "unreasonable" and "awkward".

I'd a run in with him when he sent me into pay for something with a company credit card in a woman's name. Card was refused as I don't look much like a woman and the shop threatened to call the guards despite all my explanations.

I was given a written warning by the boss for refusing to comply with a reasonable request!

He also kept expecting me to buy things and expense them back. One week I had to borrow money from my folks to get food as a result! He basically made me put a large item (close to a grand) on my debit card. This was one of my first jobs and I was barely earning enough to eat and pay rent and didn't even have a credit card.

I quit the job and gave them minimal notice.
    It was basically abusive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

It seems a lot of people are confusing an allergy with a sensitivity or an intolerance.

I have a sensitivity to codeine, it makes me vomit.

I have an allergy to synthetic estrogen, it makes me break out in a ridiculous rash, my tongue swells up and my throat tightens. I was on the pill for years, often allergies just develop, in my case it was over night. Makes contraception awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stephan5

I used to be allergic to cow milk (sheep one was ok). Now nothing I would be aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

The one that worries me a bit is most tooth pastes cause my mouth to peel inside. It's not minor either, the entire outer layer of my mouth just peels off like the way someone would peel off a latex mask! It's really gross.

I can only use a very small subsection of the toothpaste range and since they keep re formulating them it's always pot luck.

The simpler Colgates no longer work for me.

It's possibly SLS that sets it off.

It worries me because I don't like irritating anything that frequently and that dramatically.

:(

As Sodium Laurate Sulphate (SLS) are usually derived from coconut, since developing my allergy to it last May I have pretty much removed SLS from my life. I don't use shampoo, just an SLS free conditioner, I use an E45 shower emmolient cream as shower gel and a toothpaste called Sarakan that I get in Holland and Barrett. Lush toothy tabs are also SLS free but I like the Sarakan now.
    KatW4 wrote: »
    I'm allergic to dust because it sets my asthma off. So does cigarette smoke.

Lilt is a weird one. Every time I drink it, I get a urinary tract infection. Don't know if I'm allergic to it but I never drink it now!

Diluted Orange and too much orange juice has that effect on me. As a kid I used to drink loads of it and always had kidney problems. Spent time in hospital getting tests done and they couldn't figure it out. Then one day my gp asked my mum did I drink a lot of orange. I quit and problems disappeared. I get the odd one still but not often. A few years back I got one and someone advised drinking cranberry juice. I got some really good pure stuff in health food shop and drank about a litre. Came out in a rash and had diahorrea for 2 days. Don't go near it now not even in cosmopolitans!
    Gongoozler wrote: »
    It seems a lot of people are confusing an allergy with a sensitivity or an intolerance.

I have a sensitivity to codeine, it makes me vomit.

I have an allergy to synthetic estrogen, it makes me break out in a ridiculous rash, my tongue swells up and my throat tightens. I was on the pill for years, often allergies just develop, in my case it was over night. Makes contraception awkward.

Yes some are just sensitivities but I have learned that sometimes they develop to full blown allergies so it's best to exercise caution!

For me Codiene brings me out in a rash, I get palpitations and can't sleep. Also really bad cramps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The SLS one is interesting. I use mostly very simple shower gels and shampoos etc as I find the mainstream ones tend to irritate.

What toothpastes are SLS free?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

The SLS one is interesting. I use mostly very simple shower gels and shampoos etc as I find the mainstream ones tend to irritate.

What toothpastes are SLS free?

The only ones I have found are Sarakan and Lush toothytabs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nothing that I know of. For a time years back I suddenly started to have some sort of weird reaction to Guinness of all things. My eyes would stream about halfway through a pint, but that went away. I moved to a different beer, then didn't drink for a few years, now I can drink the Black stuff with no reaction. That's about it though.

They say that antibiotic use especially in childhood is a major factor in developing allergies. I've never had an antibiotic so maybe that's why I've been spared?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

fussyonion wrote: »
    What are you allergic to?

Fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Nothing so far anyway, touch wood, can't be believe how few seem to be unaffected by these things.

The alcohol one is interesting though, I wonder if there is a way to determine if you have an intolerance etc since 99% of the time you'd simply attribute it to the hangover

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mushu

I don't have any but my 3 year old has enough to share.

Anaphylaxis:
    Peanuts, hazelnuts & walnuts. Avoid all nuts.

Severe eczema outbreak & increased asthma symptoms:
    Cow's milk & milk by products
    soy/soya
    Eggs
    Dogs
    barley
    oranges
    dust
    mould (damp)

Other half is allergic to bee and wasp stings so chances are he is allergic to them as well, but they won't test him yet. Say it's too dangerous at his age.

We carry 2 epipens, inhalers and a bottle of antihistamine everywhere we go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Gongoozler wrote: »

From a practical perspective my intolerances cause just as much of a problem as my allergies (and more in some cases), so I'm not too pedantic on the distinction.

Personally I find the medical profession to be quite disbelieving re allergies. The number of times I have been asked to explicitly state how I know I am allergic to penicillin by someone who acted like I was just being a bold child saying it confounds me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The usual asthma and due to a severe reaction recently, horse-fly bites, I have to carry an epi-pen as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

MrWalsh wrote: »
    From a practical perspective my intolerances cause just as much of a problem as my allergies (and more in some cases), so I'm not too pedantic on the distinction.

Personally I find the medical profession to be quite disbelieving re allergies. The number of times I have been asked to explicitly state how I know I am allergic to penicillin by someone who acted like I was just being a bold child saying it confounds me.

Yeah when having an operation or being put on medication, they get into depth about it. I imagine they have to distinguish which it is, for insurance purposes if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Some sort of medicine. Twice, in two different countries, I've landed in hospital and been given something that makes me spasm with my head being pulled back towards my back making breathing really difficult. It's horrible.

I probably should figure out what it is. Or else not land back in hospital. It's not Paracetamol, Asprin, or Penicillin, as I can take those with no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I'm allergic to nuts. When I was 17 my face became so swollen I couldn't see for 3 days until the swelling went down.

My son used to be allergic to cat hair, he used to out in a rash. When he was younger he loved to pet the cats at granny's house. I would have to put him into the shower immediately to stop the rash.

Now that he's older he doesn't get affected by cat hair anymore.

Both my husband and son suffer from hay fever. Summer is not nice for them if the pollen count is high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Penicillin I break out in a rash.

Ponstan Projectile vomitting.

I was allergic to bananas when I was a kid, I used to get a nasty rash all over my body, but I grew out of it.

• Advertisement

Another poster mentioned a teacher confiscating lunches because her child said he had an allergy to cheese.:D On a serious note, dafuq are teachers confiscating lunches from kids because another child has an allergy? How in the hell have we all survived since the dawn of time without someone wrapping us in cotton wool:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

fussyonion wrote: »
    What are you allergic to? And what happens if you come into contact with it?
    Does your face blow up like Father Bigley?
    Do you grow a third eye?

I'm lucky that I'm not allergic to anything, though bananas make my gums itch a bit.

Enlighten us!

Condoms and work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Another poster mentioned a teacher confiscating lunches because her child said he had an allergy to cheese.:D On a serious note, dafuq are teachers confiscating lunches from kids because another child has an allergy? How in the hell have we all survived since the dawn of time without someone wrapping us in cotton wool:confused:
    We have a number children with severe , as in may go into cardiac arrest within three minutes, allergies. Good enough reason to confiscate a lunch as notes re allergies and what NOT to give for lunch would have gone home before that.

We have a number children with severe , as in may go into cardiac arrest within three minutes, allergies. Good enough reason to confiscate a lunch as notes re allergies and what NOT to give for lunch would have gone home before that.

Fair enough, in a situation like that. Although it seems to be fashionable for kids to have food 'allergies'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Quorn.

Stuff makes me explode from both ends. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Aspirin and kiwi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Quorn.

Stuff makes me explode from both ends. :(
    Sorry I had to lol at that:D Mind you Ive never tried it so might be laughing too soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Colser wrote: »
    Sorry I had to lol at that:D Mind you Ive never tried it so might be laughing too soon...

:D It's funny now when I look back on it.

Apparently it's quite common for some people to be allergic to mycoprotein.

I ate it without any problems for a few years then had two such incidents before I linked the explosions to the Quorn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm intolerant to nuts. I once told a Brazil Nut to f*ck off back to Brazil.

Advertisement