Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you allergic to?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Tablet called nexium. I got a very itchy rash and my head and hands swelled up. Had to go to doctor because it got so bad I couldn't open and close my eyes properly and was gasping for air. The doctor said I had anaphylactic shock and my airway was shutting down. Had to get steroid injection into my arm muscle and was on tablets for 2 weeks after. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Octocrylene-a chemical found in almost all sunscreens and and moisturisers with spf. Makes my face swell up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

****ing pollen, the cuntting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Cheap metal like nickel etc. My ears fester and bleed within ten minutes of wearing earrings made from it. I also have hayfever but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

katemarch wrote: »
    Wasps. I once collapsed four hours after a sting, and lay barely- conscious on the sofa for an hour, unable to move. Serious anaphylactic shock. I always carry an adrenaline spike now, just in case.
    Also menthol makes my head swim in a groggy fashion.

Have never been stung but am terrified of wasps. Where do you get those adrenaline spikes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Crazy_Fool

A painkiller called tramadol, causes a mighty itch, nausea and fainting.

Also nickel, no cheap jewellery from Penneys for me! Also means the other half can't get away without buying the good stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Loading the dishwasher correctly, according to my better half.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm allergic to ibuprofen. I found this out when I took two Nurofen one night a few years ago for really bad sunburn. I woke up the next morning and could barely open my eyes because my face was so swollen.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

sunbeam wrote:
    Octocrylene-a chemical found in almost all sunscreens and and moisturisers with spf. Makes my face swell up.

Yeah I believe that's the chemical I'm allergic to :o it's so hard to find sunscreen which doesn't contain it. :P

73Cat wrote: »
    I broke out in an all over rash after being given penicillin as a toddler. My mother was told to make sure I never had it again, as it could be fatal. It sounds a bit dramatic to me, but I never chanced it since ;)

Often the first trigger is the mildest in reaction, but once the allergy has been triggered subsequent exposure is much worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I am allergic to my mums dog and the tree at the bottom of our garden. And hayfever. Pesky hayfever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Those feckin flies that when they bite you , they take a big feckin chunk.

Horse flies?

Last time I needed a drip.

About this time of year too :(

Those feckin flies that when they bite you , they take a big feckin chunk.

Horse flies?

Have you seen how they bite you?

Uggghhhhhggggghhhhhggghhhh

Ugh

Ugh

STOP! Too early in the morning for tempting me to look that up on youtube!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Ugh

That's the worst bit.

If I could ban something - they'd be it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

I have an allergy to bananas.

If I eat it I puke.If I rub banana on my skin I instantly come up in a massive rash.

Although,I woke up with a piss horn this morning that resembled a banana and it did me no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bolopapa

My friends moms, she thinks am the bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Plug in air fresheners..bought 2 when they first came out and felt really sick for weeks until it dawned on me that thy might be the reason for it..plugged them out and instantly felt better..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Cat scratches.. I break out in little lumps (similar nettle stings).

Nothing else really that I known of, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Wine & beer :(:(:(

If I drink most wines I get a weird sensation that radiates from my chest then I go bright red, start sweating, neck and face flush and my lips swell. Red wine also turns my lips & tongue black.

Beer just makes me bloat and/or throw up even a few mouthfuls.

Some beers are vaguely tolerable but I'll feel sick for the day after.

For years I thought that was just how everyone was and I used to spend most nights out in my late teens / early 20s running to the toilet to throw up!

Basically I can drink some spirits or cider.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Wine & beer :(:(:(

If I drink most wines I get a weird sensation that radiates from my chest then I go bright red, start sweating, neck and face flush and my lips swell. Red wine also turns my lips & tongue black.

Beer just makes me bloat and/or throw up even a few mouthfuls.

Some beers are vaguely tolerable but I'll feel sick for the day after.

For years I thought that was just how everyone was and I used to spend most nights out in my late teens / early 20s running to the toilet to throw up!

Basically I can drink some spirits or cider.

That is terrible. :eek:
    Cant imagine been allergic to beer and wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Interesting thread.

Have similar reactions to booze as some on here. I get way out of proportion hangovers too. Like, sick for days.

Otherwise, latex, silicone, nickel, penicillin, blue cheese, certain mushrooms, sulphides in wine, aspirin sensitivity and ibuprofen sensitivity.

Menas wrote: »

What really annoys me is Ireland is like Mrs Doyle and the guy who says he's allergic to tea and I might kill him!

I keep getting stick from people over refusing beers and actually got an earful from my former boss for refusing a glass of wine from a client at a dinner thing!!!

I'll drink cider but I don't like going too mad on it because it's so sugary.

So these days I usually just end up nursing a cider or two.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Interesting thread.

Have similar reactions to booze as some on here. I get way out of proportion hangovers too. Like, sick for days.

Otherwise, latex, silicone, nickel, penicillin, blue cheese, certain mushrooms, sulphides in wine, aspirin sensitivity and ibuprofen sensitivity.

I took a ibuprofen once!! Never, ever again. I got really bad stomach cramps and collapsed in a heap and ended up in A&E.

For headaches I just drink tea. Won't take anything I'm not familiar with anymore.

I've a long list of other minor annoying allergies - paprika, lentils, some beans, all fake meat type products involving texturised wheat protein, that Quorn stuff.

Soda bread for some reason leaves me in agony too.

My skin also reacts badly to various chemicals - mostly polishes. I had a really bad reaction to a desk during an exam! Anywhere I touched turned bright red and my face started to swell. Ended up having up do autumn repeat for that paper!

The one that worries me a bit is most tooth pastes cause my mouth to peel inside. It's not minor either, the entire outer layer of my mouth just peels off like the way someone would peel off a latex mask! It's really gross.

I can only use a very small subsection of the toothpaste range and since they keep re formulating them it's always pot luck.

The simpler Colgates no longer work for me.

It's possibly SLS that sets it off.

It worries me because I don't like irritating anything that frequently and that dramatically.

And nickel too! I forgot about that one. Wrist goes like bad sunburn if I put on a non nickel-free watch strap or there's a metal fastener.

Basically, I'm allergic to way too many things. It's not fun.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I'm allergic to dust because it sets my asthma off. So does cigarette smoke.

Lilt is a weird one. Every time I drink it, I get a urinary tract infection. Don't know if I'm allergic to it but I never drink it now!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Menas wrote: »

I worked with someone once whose brother was allergic to alcohol. One pint would be enough to have him in A&E with a potentially life-threatening asthma attack. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Codeine

Bad buzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

"Drugs; I break out in handcuffs every time I take them"

Robert Downey Jr

Advertisement