Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games have you been playing lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Playing Anno 1800, my first Anno game. It's good but would be better with an active pause. The rts and city building/management elements are tough to manage simultaneously. Hoping it gets easier to manage as I play it more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Nearing the end of Divinity:Original Sin 2, what a brilliant game especially if your into 3D RPG...

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

TL;DR: Middle-Earth: Shadow of War & Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

Been working my way through Shadow of War too.
    Just finishing up the side quests now before doing the final battle.
    The nazgul encounters were a little disappointing but the Nemesis system is still great craic.

And AC4 must be the best pirate game ever made. Love the shanties!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I played Origins for about 20 minutes before I opted for a refund. Either it's not optimised properly or my rig struggles with it, but that doesn't make sense to me because I can run GTA V on Ultra and I can run Total War Three Kingdoms on V. High, the latter game being incredibly demanding. I tried running Origins on High and it still stuttered and chugged. My FPS was all over the place on the benchmark so I just sold it back - sh1te like that just distracts me. I still have it on PS4 if I decide to go back.

I digress. My point was I was in the mood to play some AC and I've opted for AC4. But now I'm jumping between that and Middle-Earth: Shadow of War. Both games are running very well for me.

Probably your CPU. Newer AC games can chug badly on i5's that pre-date the newer six core models (i5-8400 onwards), especially older ones.

A lot of games are like that now, you need either an old i7 or a new i5/Ryzen for smooth gameplay in some of the AAA games.

GTA V and TW: 3K would run perfect on much slower processors as they have way, way lower requirements. Even an old €20 i3 would be fairly OK for those.

Origins was unplayable for me, but Odyssey played fine. Black Flag is without doubt the best AC game ever imo. Although im a bit of a sucker for AC games and really enjoyed the Paris and London ones, could be that the locations were excellent.

After reading nothing but good reviews Im giving Disco Elysium a play.
    Two hours in and not a clue whats happening, It may have got good reviews but im completely lost. No idea whats happening.:(
    I will say that there is something about it though that keeps you playing, ill stick with it and see does it make sence after a while

• Advertisement

Playing games for the first time today in ages. Around fours into the Outer Wilds. It's a very unique and very enjoyable experience. No idea what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just started Mass Effect. Not far in to it. Seems okish so far not sure what to make of it. Still haven't been successful at opening locked door or crates.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Just started Mass Effect. Not far in to it. Seems okish so far not sure what to make of it. Still haven't been successful at opening locked door or crates.

Is it your first time playing it? if so I'm incredibly jealous. My favourite game series.
    I've played through the second and third one multiple times but haven't gone back to the first for a while. It plays very differently to it's sequels but still enjoyable. I'd recommend sticking with it for the story alone.

Remouad wrote: »
    Is it your first time playing it? if so I'm incredibly jealous. My favourite game series.
    I've played through the second and third one multiple times but haven't gone back to the first for a while. It plays very differently to it's sequels but still enjoyable. I'd recommend sticking with it for the story alone.

Yep first time playing it. I'm not that far into it but do not like the combat kinda as the guns on zoom don't really zoom into a small crosshair zone.

I'm still going to continue playing though as I'd say I will get use to that and have heard before on the internet that it is a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Playing games for the first time today in ages. Around fours into the Outer Wilds. It's a very unique and very enjoyable experience. No idea what to expect.
    It's an absolute gem! It is the art that video games can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Has anyone else played Lust from Beyond: Scarlett on Steam? It's free, like a 60 minute prologue for an upcoming full game.

It's eh....it's something. Not bad though, the graphic nudity and sex does kinda serve a purpose and it has a good, creepy atmosphere.

Tipping away at Disco Elysium and it is starting to grow on me. I cant say its as good as the rave reviews I read unless it suddenly takes off. Also playing some Outer Wilds. What a brilliant little game that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started Return of the Obra Dinn.
    Bad idea to start it late. Means going to bed much later than planned.
    Yet all I'm thinking is "Where can I pick up a board, pins, red string and cards?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Homelander wrote: »
    Has anyone else played Lust from Beyond: Scarlett on Steam? It's free, like a 60 minute prologue for an upcoming full game.

It's eh....it's something. Not bad though, the graphic nudity and sex does kinda serve a purpose and it has a good, creepy atmosphere.

Creepy sex lasting no longer than 60 minutes. I'm sold tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Back on the Total War wagon after the latest DLC. Edging close to 600 hours total in the game.....

Also Microsoft have a "Game Pass Ultimate for €1 + 2 extra months free" deal going. So tried Carrion (kinda dull really) and Carto (quite enjoyable, tile laying triggers the boardgamer part of my brain). Also have Call of the Sea downloaded, hope its a nice "island exploration/puzzle solver game".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Back on the Total War wagon after the latest DLC. Edging close to 600 hours total in the game.....

Also Microsoft have a "Game Pass Ultimate for €1 + 2 extra months free" deal going. So tried Carrion (kinda dull really) and Carto (quite enjoyable, tile laying triggers the boardgamer part of my brain). Also have Call of the Sea downloaded, hope its a nice "island exploration/puzzle solver game".

Good man.

Finally finished the main plot of Rise of the Tomb Raider. Is the last one any good? I've heard mixed things.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Good man.

Finally finished the main plot of Rise of the Tomb Raider. Is the last one any good? I've heard mixed things.

I thought it was good. More of the same. The tombs are easy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I thought it was good. More of the same. The tombs are easy.

Rise had a few irritating bugs and a few things I thought were bugs. I hate using Youtube for puzzles so that was annoying but it was otherwise a lot of fun.

Thanks!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

Amnesia: Rebirth. I was a big fan of the first one ( Amnesia: The Dark Descent) and this is pretty much the sequel.

It’s not as genuinely scary as the first, but the story is really interesting. It’s a dark horror sci-fi.

It’s getting a lot of rubbishing online at the moment because it’s lacking the fear factor the original had but I love it, creepy as fook and I do enjoy a good dark sci fi/fantasy. It’s heavy on story, and the emotional state of the protagonist (who is speaking to herself for most of the game).

Its definitely one for more mature types who enjoy soaking up the atmosphere and unveiling a mystery. More like a good Lovecraftian novel. I found the landscape and lore of the other world particularly mesmerising.

There is still the usual running and hiding from monsters in the pitch black with only a hand full of matches to light your way, but I didn’t feel that sheer horror I felt playing the first. I can see how this might have disappointed a lot of fans of the original who just enjoyed the scare factor and didn’t get into the story, but for me it’s a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Really enjoying Anno 1800 at the moment. It's a city builder where you have to trade, set up production chains to serve your population, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Really enjoying Anno 1800 at the moment. It's a city builder where you have to trade, set up production chains to serve your population, etc.

I've played it a lot recently as well but kind of gone off it now. The relentless micro managing of trade routes once you get to investors and beyond killed it for me. The expeditions are a bit tedious as well. I'll probably get some of the expansions and play it again in future

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive been playing Immortals Fenyx Rising and AC Valhalla hopping between both.
    IFR is excellent, no doubt ACV is very good too but struggling to get into it, its just not grabbing me like AC Odyssey.

After stumbling upon a stream of theHunter Call of the wild and watching/reading reviews i decided to give it a go and now its my go to chill out game, super tense at times but super chilled at the same time, rather excellent game and something i never thought i would enjoy, absolutely stunning looking game too.
    Ive always loved realism shooters and immersive gaming worlds this has both in bucketloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Dcully wrote: »
    After stumbling upon a stream of theHunter Call of the wild and watching/reading reviews i decided to give it a go and now its my go to chill out game, super tense at times but super chilled at the same time, rather excellent game and something i never thought i would enjoy, absolutely stunning looking game too.
    Ive always loved realism shooters and immersive gaming worlds this has both in bucketloads.

I played the original theHunter years ago, and it was indeed a very chill game. I'll admit that I didn't like shooting the critters even in digital form though lol. But the new Avalanche engine is gorgeous.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I played the original theHunter years ago, and it was indeed a very chill game. I'll admit that I didn't like shooting the critters even in digital form though lol. But the new Avalanche engine is gorgeous.

A fupping huge black bear charged at me tonight , far from a critter he was lol.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Playing a lot of Shadowlands, and when not playing that i'm either playing Rimworld or Starsector again.

Forgot shadowlands, played for a few weeks, pretty forgetful for me tbh.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

20 hours into Cyberpunk. Have no idea what I'm at or how the skills system really works but I am enjoying it.

I think im about done with Shadowlands as well. Overall not very impressed with it. Think ill sub to uplay+ for Christmas break and get stuck into Imortals:Fenyx Rising, AC:Odyssey and OC:Valhalla. The uplay sub price always puts me off subbing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I need to get back into this, been flailing my way through the campaign making all the mistakes :pac:
    Dcully wrote: »
    Ive been playing Immortals Fenyx Rising and AC Valhalla hopping between both.
    IFR is excellent, no doubt ACV is very good too but struggling to get into it, its just not grabbing me like AC Odyssey.

Really tempted to pick these up in the Ubi sale. I:FR looks great and heard very good things, AC:V Im a bit more hesitant on.

• Advertisement

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    I need to get back into this, been flailing my way through the campaign making all the mistakes :pac:

Really tempted to pick these up in the Ubi sale. I:FR looks great and heard very good things, AC:V Im a bit more hesitant on.

I subbed to uplay+ for the month to play both.
    Well that was the plan until i tried the Hunter game now im fecking addicted lol.

Advertisement