Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford to ban swearing/smoking in parks

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

robtri wrote: »
    ???? makes no sense sorry
    alcohol is in itself is harmless??
    so is vaping really....

kids see adults drinking alcohol and being told it is in itself harmless could start drinking......
    ??

Yes, vaping is in itself harmless, but can lead to more harmful things.

Alcohol doesn't lead to something worse. It is something that can and should be something people can learn to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

katydid wrote: »

Have you any evidence at all for this statement ?

Because I have been following the developments in vaping for the last 18 months and I haven't seen any .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Alcohol doesn't lead to something worse. It is something that can and should be something people can learn to handle.

WHAT ???
    Are you serious ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Pregnancies, STDs, marriage proposals...the list is endless.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    WHAT ???
    Are you serious ???

I'll rephrase. It needn't. Millions of people drink alcohol every day without the slightest problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Gas Jockey

I'll rephrase. It needn't. Millions of people drink alcohol every day without the slightest problem.

True, everything has a toxic level, below which no appreciable harms occur. The body has the ability to recover from the effects of the occasional glass of wine, the occasional cigar or he occasinal joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

And the same thing can be said about the vaping surely?

Oh and as it currently stands I am an ex-smoker, who really dislikes standing around smokers, purely because if the temptation

lostboy75 wrote: »
    And the same thing can be said about the vaping surely?

Oh and as it currently stands I am an ex-smoker, who really dislikes standing around smokers, purely because if the temptation

It can. And I've nothing against vaping per se. It's just that I agree that in a publicly funded space, the state/council has the right to ban it, for the reasons I've said before - a. it can be seen as "cool" and can lead people to smoking, and b. it's impossible for whoever is monitoring this to tell the difference at a distance between a real cigarette and an e-cigarette.

To be honest, in this case, that is the real problem. I know from my workplace that we had to ban both smoking and vaping, because the hassle and the arguments caused by people trying to figure out whether someone was smoking or not was ridiculous. You had people smoking, who then pulled out an e-cig when you approached them, and claimed that's what they were smoking all along - even though they stank of smoke!

But if you can't tell whether it's a real cig or an e cig, why does it matter it's not affecting you, thats what I can't understand? Two people standing off in the distance having a smoke are not bothering anyone?
    Leave them be,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

thomasm wrote: »
    http://www.newstalk.com/Waterford-City-Council-smoking-cursing-fines-new-rules-children-parks

Waterford Council has voted in a by law that fines someone cursing in a public park €1,270. Also banning skateboarding and roller blading unless your a council employee.

Smoking and E-Cigs also banned with effect from July 1st.

Seems to be put in place to curb anti social behavior. Why not just enforce current laws?

Nanny council or necessary measure ?

No idea how to put up a poll for this.

Huh, easy money! A far bigger threat to one's health are dogs and their excrement>>>it's a minefield out there, the stuff is everywhere, have they banned them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

But other millions do have problems. I can guarantee they all started off with small amounts. You did hint to vaping leading to bad things, so can small amounts of alcohol.

Your crusade to ban what doesn't affect you is ridiculous. Are you an ex smoker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Why Waterford is what I'm wondering. Heard recently that the train to waterford is the only one in the country that you can't drink alcohol on. Is this true?

lertsnim wrote: »
    Are you an ex smoker?

This question keeps coming up. it's kinda irrelevant, as the arguments will stand or fall on their own merits. it's a cop-out to dismiss someone's argument based on their smoking history.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Gas Jockey wrote: »
    This question keeps coming up. it's kinda irrelevant, s the arguments will stand of fall on their own merits. it's a cop-out to dismiss someone's argument based on their smoking history.

It's not irrelevant as it is usually an ex smoker that goes beyond all comprehension to ban it and in this case anything that looks like it.

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's not irrelevant as it is usually an ex smoker that goes beyond all comprehension to ban it and in this case anything that looks like it.

Perhaps, but if they can't substantiateor reference their arguments it doesn't really matter whether they smoke or not. Would their arguments be any more or less valid if, for example, they had lost a family member to a smoking related disease?
    Not really.just adds emotional heat rather than anything of use.

lostboy75 wrote: »
    But if you can't tell whether it's a real cig or an e cig, why does it matter it's not affecting you, thats what I can't understand? Two people standing off in the distance having a smoke are not bothering anyone?
    Leave them be,

If the law says that smoking is illegal, the people who enforce it have to be able to do so without hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

If the law says that smoking is illegal, the people who enforce it have to be able to do so without hassle.

The law says breaking the speed limit is illegal , but we don't ban all cars just because we can't obviously tell what speed they are going .

I am bowing out of this conversation as its pointless trying to deal with jobworths. Some people just like a little power trip, they need to be careful though in moderation it can be ok, but overindulgence can be harmful, you will end up a politician

People who enforce anything will always face some hassle. The question is whether they are capable if telling what has actually happened. From what you had said, it would seem logical to ban prople from chewing on white coloured pens, because from a distance they might look like cigarettes.

People who enforce anything will always face some hassle. The question is whether they are capable if telling what has actually happened. From what you had said, it would seem logical to ban prople from chewing on white coloured pens, because from a distance they might look like cigarettes.
    Pens don't emit smoke... If you haven't been in a position of trying to police a no-smoking policy and dealing with e-cigs, you have no idea what it's like.

• Advertisement

Pens don't emit smoke... If you haven't been in a position of trying to police a no-smoking policy and dealing with e-cigs, you have no idea what it's like.

That's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Well this is what I witnessed in the park some weeks ago .

A group of about about 60 youths arrived at the bandstand , most looked under age 18 and most were carrying beer cans / cases of cans .

They started carrying on at the bandstand and even set fire to school uniforms .

I saw them throwing bottles / empty cans into the trees on their way to the stand .

Many people out for a leisurely stroll made a quick exit including ourselves .

As we were driving away , there was an SUV in front of us , and he stopped and handed a case of beer to a chap that looked no more than 16. ( I only presume this was a parent )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Lots of things have been in our society for decades. It doesn't mean they are good or acceptable. In fact, smoking has been part of our society for centuries, not decades. When it was first invented, they thought it was a cure for lung disease! We and science have moved on a bit since then.

I've asked several times how it's different from shooting up heroin. No answer. They are both drugs, both have no benefits and lots of dangers. Should we allow shooting up in public because the park is a recreation area?

You're getting a little hysterical there really. Someone having a casual cig on their lunch break vs a heroin addict shooting up - MAJOR difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Neither do e-cigs ......

Your company wants a no-smoking policy and cannot enforce it without also banning other actions. This makes a mockery of an unenforceable policy.
    It is not reasonable on any level to ban vaping only because your 'enforcers' are unable to tell the difference.

I see no reason to ban smoking out of doors.
    Banning it on its alleged harm to others near-by would indicate that all combustion engined vehicles should be banned where there are people.

In fact it would probably make more sense to ban the cars and lorries as they contribute much more pollution to the air we breathe than all the smokers possibly could.

Having visited several hospitals in the recent past I am 'amused' to see 'smoke free campus' signs prominently displayed, and cars trundling past emitting all sorts of health-damaging 'smoke'.

WCC have 'lost the run of themselves'.
    These by-laws are idiotic in the extreme.

I can only hope that someone has the time, inclination and money to challenge them ....... for the sake of ALL people who wish to enjoy a lovely park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

robtri wrote: »

It would be interesting if you could quote one definitive statement from that 'study' ....... one without 'may' or 'might' or similar.

BTW there was a discussion on drugs on Primetime tonight on RTE 1 ...... now coming on to RTE 1+1.

This is a good review of the evidence to date on e-cigarettes. There's a bit in it but it's thorough.
    http://www.vox.com/2015/6/26/8832337/e-cigarette-health-fda-smoking-safety

• Advertisement

This is a good review of the evidence to date on e-cigarettes. There's a bit in it but it's thorough.
    http://www.vox.com/2015/6/26/8832337/e-cigarette-health-fda-smoking-safety

Yes and this sums it all up
    Even if e-cigarettes are safer than regular cigarettes, that doesn't mean they're totally safe. At this point, we just don't know.

It also means there is no indication that vaping is not totally safe.

Advertisement