Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great Dublin Bike Ride - Sunday 13th September **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Looks good, just a pity it's on the day after the Rebel Tour. If it was any other weekend I'd be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I'm assuming the road will be closed for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Will Marcel Kittel be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Not much details on the website, ok i get it, it's a big cycle around Dublin. But what does the 40euro cover? Food stops? road closures?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

Hi Guys,

Yes there will be food stops and some road closures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if i cycle it backwards, does the entry fee also travel in the opposite direction?

iancairns wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Yes there will be food stops and road closures!

I suggest you add a lot of detail to the website regarding this, not clear. Also is there entertainment or anything at the end?

Basically what is going to make it great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Hi Guys,

Yes there will be food stops and road closures!

You need to point this out. This is a big selling point for something like this. It will encourage many 'non-regulars' to give it a try.

Looking at the Gran Fondo NI thread, the closed roads are coming in for great response and give the whole thing a different feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,213 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Closed roads would make all the difference...will each rider be issued with a timing chip?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

And are there any freebies? I'm a sucker for a jersey :P

• Advertisement

40 euro is a lot of money to ask for and there are absolutely no details about what you get for it. Think I've made this point more than once :) .Highlighting road closures will make it much more attractive to cyclists who fear Dublin roads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Neither of these routes seem particularly novice friendly...? By novice I mean people who wouldn't really cycle much/at all.

What happens if someone can't go on after 40km?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Might consider this one myself.

Website/FB is very light on information, though. Basically, there's going to be a big ride on the 13th Sept - here's a map. That's it!

Needs an FAQ.

Neither of these routes seem particularly novice friendly...? By novice I mean people who wouldn't really cycle much/at all.

What happens if someone can't go on after 40km?

To be fair it is fairly flat and they have got a training plan on their website, so hinting at the need to do some level of training even if a novice.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I'm assuming the road will be closed for this?
    jon1981 wrote: »
    40 euro is a lot of money to ask for and there absolutely no details about what you get for it. Think I've made this point more than once :) .Highlighting road closures will make it much more attractive to cyclists who fear Dublin roads.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your feedback, I will get on to Cycling Ireland to provide an FAQ section asap.

Thanks!

Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I will get on to Cycling Ireland to provide an FAQ section asap.
    Or alternatively, just provide the relevant information where people will expect to see it.

https://gds.blog.gov.uk/2013/07/25/faqs-why-we-dont-have-them/

• Registered Users Posts: 31 imskilguy

Unfortunately I think this clashes with Bray Wheelers' Joe Loughman Randonnee. Otherwise I would be very interested

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your feedback, I will get on to Cycling Ireland to provide an FAQ section asap.

Thanks!

Ian

Well not just a FAQ, actually put details on the website as to what the day will entail.

What sections of the route will be closed?
    What will the end of the cycle look like, will there be entertainment or food stalls?
    Will there be any freebies for the 40 euro or 25euro.
    Where are the food stalls located throughout the cycle?
    Are there any mechanics available on route?
    Emergency telephone numbers?
    What time is the official end?

There are loads of events taking place this summer, you only have to look at their sites to see what a cyclist expects in terms of information. If you want to meet the 5,000 participant target you need to beef that site up pronto in my view.

PS. The cycling Ireland registration UI is ugly as sin, but that's a minor point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Taking a punt and signed up for the 100k

Could be a disaster if it's all being pulled together at the last minute and three months isn't that long to organise and market it. The website doesn't inspire confidence but if there are closed roads it'll be worth it.

Pretty much as flat a route as you'll get as well which is a nice change!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Just in case anybody is misled by some posts here, the 100k route is NOT flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

jon1981 wrote: »
    What sections of the route will be closed?
    What will the end of the cycle look like, will there be entertainment or food stalls?
    Will there be any freebies for the 40 euro or 25euro.
    Where are the food stalls located throughout the cycle?
    Are there any mechanics available on route?
    Emergency telephone numbers?
    What time is the official end?
    To add a few:
    - what's the earliest time you can start?
    - what's the latest time you can start?
    - will the route be marked/signposted?
    - can you turn up and register on the day? or do you have to do it in advance on the website?
    - are helmets compulsory?
    - what if I get a puncture, do I need to bring my own spare tubes/puncture repair kit?

Also from reading the Wickow 200 thread a lot of people are big into the whole medals/certificates side of thing (couldn't care less myself) so is there anything along those lines?

To add a few:
    - what's the earliest time you can start?
    - what's the latest time you can start?
    - will the route be marked/signposted?
    - can you turn up and register on the day? or do you have to do it in advance on the website?
    - are helmets compulsory?
    - what if I get a puncture, do I need to bring my own spare tubes/puncture repair kit?

Also from reading the Wickow 200 thread a lot of people are big into the whole medals/certificates side of thing (couldn't care less myself) so is there anything along those lines?

Great input guys, really appreciate this,

Ian

At the moment we have confirmed road closures for Start and Finish area and there will be rolling road closures out on routes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

What kind of support crew will be available on the day? ie ambulance / mechanic / I'm tired and need a bus.

Will the course be marshalled?

What does the €40 cover?

Where are the food stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Sounds good, but as above some info on what I'm paying for - could I not just sneak in without paying and cycle it? Does the money pay for a medal at the end? :D

On the medal question ... I could take it but more leave it. It's not like it's a race nor a high ranking achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I don't understand why people need a medal or cert for these events. If there's a family route with kids etc doing it then have them for that route but why a grown adult wants a medal for it I'll never understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Crocked wrote: »
    I don't understand why people need a medal or cert for these events. If there's a family route with kids etc doing it then have them for that route but why a grown adult wants a medal for it I'll never understand.

Because we have a lot of "grown up children" in this country who need to be constantly entertained.
    I reckon we will see face painting being touted as a selling point in the not too distant future for some sportives.
    I cant understand why people want music at the start/finish...jerseys...half the foodstops/over marshalling, then a BBQ a goodie bag an ice cream.
    I think some of the sportives are a bit of a joke, personally im put off a lot of them by the steep price tag and the "selling points"...keep it simple would be my advice.

A kids/family route would be a great thing.

Marty.

i think the issue is, for 40 euro, you do expect some sort of entertainment , whether its a beer/food stand or whatever. If the price was lower, I wouldn't expect it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Seems like a lot of organisation has gone in to setting this up, but, as has been said previously, it doesn't mention any of the details on the website. That needs to be fixed if you want to attract the big numbers.

Rolling road closures would suggest a bunch start of some kind, is this correct? 5000 cyclists may be a bit tricky to manage in this set up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement