Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Leinster Senior Hurling Final: Galway v. Kilkenny ; Croke Park; 5th July @16:00

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

I dunno if they're over joyed about winning Leinster the way other teams might be but they certainly hate losing. I mean if they didn't care about winning the match they couldn't have produced that performance.

exactly...and you could clearly see cody getting fairly animated at times on the sideline too!!!

Fair play to kk, the better team. They were very sharp and hungry. In saying that I was impressed with Galway too. They never gave up and fought until the end. At 3 points down when david burkes goal chance went wide..if that had went in, who knows what might have happened!!

Galway will still be hard to beat in the quarter final. And if we were to beat kk I know i would want it in an all ireland final...not a leinster final!!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

threeball wrote: »
    If Galway were a bit more composed today the result could have been very different. Unforced first touch errors by Galway players cost them primary possession on more occasions than I could count and normally resulted in a score or attempted score at least. The clearances from the half back line were paniced and hit and hopes rather than placing a pass. Two very easily rectified things cost Galway today. I wouldnt write them off if they were to get another bite of the cherry further down the line. To me only Galway and Tipp have the tools to topple Kilkenny.

Just down from the game and while a lot of this is true, the main difference today was in the intensity of Kilkenny. Galway errors were mostly down to the severe pressure they were put under especially from the Kilkenny forwards when clearing their lines.
    Don't be fooled though....Kilkenny always had the result under control and Galway are no closer to an All Ireland team.
    Tipp, Clare or Kilkenny... In that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

donnem33 wrote: »
    At 3 points down when david burkes goal chance went wide..if that had went in, who knows what might have happened!!

Probably KK would have upped it and quickly tagged in a few points to go back in front

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Just down from the game and while a lot of this is true, the main difference today was in the intensity of Kilkenny. Galway errors were mostly down to the severe pressure they were put under especially from the Kilkenny forwards when clearing their lines.
    Don't be fooled though....Kilkenny always had the result under control and Galway are no closer to an All Ireland team.
    Tipp, Clare or Kilkenny... In that order.

Not sure what Clare have been done to be ranked ahead of Kilkenny. An All-Ireland a couple years ago alright but I'm not sure they have won a match of significance since. Will be dangerous in the qualifiers alright but no way they can be logically ranked ahead of Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

The final score flattered us to be honest. Kilkenny were 10 points the better team. They were hungrier, their touch was was way ahead of ours (how many simple picks were messed up by our lads) and their forwards were consistently able to link up and create the space to take fairly handy scores. We had to work like dogs for every score we got.

Kilkenny also hit a mountains of wides. Another day they'd easily have 4 or 5 more points. We missed a fair bit too but not near as much. Probably the only thing we did better than them was creating goal chances, we had 4 or 5 very decent chances, they hadn't a sniff apart from the one they actually did score. The backs deserve praise here as in fairness they had an awful lot of ball to deal with.

Generally though their touch, cohesion and score taking was way ahead of ours.

I'd find it hard to be positive about that Galway performance to be honest, the touch in particular was so so poor and we seemed totally unable to link up up front.

Best for Galway were Mannian, Daithi Burke, Cyril and Canning. Glynn did fine too. Was very disappointed with Tan, Harte, Smyth, Davey Burke and Glennon.

Also I couldn't believe Cunni than allowed Hogan so much space at midfield. He controlled the game in the second half from here after being kept fairly quiet by Burke in the first half. When Hogan went to midfield he should have given Smyth the job of following him everywhere. Hogan is too good to allow him basically play free. Thought he should have been man of the match.

And finally though I'm disappointed obviously I must say it was worth the trip up just for that goal. It was a goal for the ages scored by one of the most gifted players the game has ever seen. Pure genius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

The final score flattered us to be honest. Kilkenny were 10 points the better team. They were hungrier, their touch was was way ahead of ours (how many simple picks were messed up by our lads) and their forwards were consistently able to link up and create the space to take fairly handy scores. We had to work like dogs for every score we got.

Kilkenny also hit a mountains of wides. Another day they'd easily have 4 or 5 more points. We missed a fair bit too but not near as much. Probably the only thing we did better than them was creating goal chances, we had 4 or 5 very decent chances, they hadn't a sniff apart from the one they actually did score. The backs deserve praise here as in fairness they had an awful lot of ball to deal with.

Generally though their touch, cohesion and score taking was way ahead of ours.

I'd find it hard to be positive about that Galway performance to be honest, the touch in particular was so so poor and we seemed totally unable to link up up front.

Best for Galway were Mannian, Daithi Burke, Cyril and Canning. Glynn did fine too. Was very disappointed with Tan, Harte, Smyth, Davey Burke and Glennon.

Also I couldn't believe Cunni than allowed Hogan so much space at midfield. He controlled the game in the second half from here after being kept fairly quiet by Burke in the first half. When Hogan went to midfield he should have given Smyth the job of following him everywhere. Hogan is too good to allow him basically play free. Thought he should have been man of the match.

And finally though I'm disappointed obviously I must say it was worth the trip up just for that goal. It was a goal for the ages scored by one of the most gifted players the game has ever seen. Pure genius

kk had 14 wides, galway had 9...hardly a mountain in fairness!!

I think youre being a bit harsh that there is nothing to be possitive about...they kept on fighting even when a lot of players werent as effective as they would have liked to be. they hung on and was only in the last 8 mins when kk effectively pulled away..it was still a 4 point game with 10 mins left and kk seemed to panic abit when canning had the ball.

Before the match we all would have wanted a committed display and not collapse under pressure..which is what we got!! no team will beat kk twice in the championship in the one year..the time to beat them is the 1st sun in sept when it matters...not a leinster final in july!!

alot to improve on but all is not lost yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

KM88 wrote: »
    It's not a 3-way championship you know. :eek:

Tipp, Cork, Waterford, Wexford, Laois, Offaly, Limerick, Clare, etc might feel a bit insulted by that comment.

They are all traditional hurling counties where hurling is a proud tradition and are still credible contenders.

Um,dunno why you mentioned the Munster counties -pretty sure that the poster was on about the Leinster championship

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Just glancing back over the thread, done serious oxygen given to roquentin, who sounds like he knows as much about hurling as a giraffe knows about US foreign policy.

Anyway I thought the performance today was good but the big performances were all from well established players. We learned very little about younger players really. To start with the negative, John power was poor, I thought, and struggled especially when not in possession. Holden struggled on canning, no shame there, but he was also completely in no man's land for the second goal. It was pure naivety. Noel Hickey must have been screaming at the top of his lungs. We need a real full back as a matter of urgency, natural ones seem to be a dying breed. Tyrell was awful today as well, even more to blame than Holden for the goal.

The good was easier to pick out. Tj obviously. I thought Richie Hogan was quiet in the first half but when him and Reid linked up for scores in the second they were unstoppable, theyre the best in the business for creating chances from passing play. Buckley was unreal again too. I thought Walter did savage work in the first half, got in an argument with a lad at half time who said he'd done nothing, but he worked like a dog to contain the midfield area. Still a bit in and out of games. Aylward still has work to do but he set up the goal (thought he should have gone himself actually) and got a few scores.

All in all, good win, nothing to start assuming we're world beaters. Hope tipp hammer waterford, we need to be under the radar in the semi and (god willing) the final, because this championship has been awful and its making us look better than we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Just glancing back over the thread, done serious oxygen given to roquentin, who sounds like he knows as much about hurling as a giraffe knows about US foreign policy.

Anyway I thought the performance today was good but the big performances were all from well established players. We learned very little about younger players really. To start with the negative, John power was poor, I thought, and struggled especially when not in possession. Holden struggled on canning, no shame there, but he was also completely in no man's land for the second goal. It was pure naivety. Noel Hickey must have been screaming at the top of his lungs. We need a real full back as a matter of urgency, natural ones seem to be a dying breed. Tyrell was awful today as well, even more to blame than Holden for the goal.

The good was easier to pick out. Tj obviously. I thought Richie Hogan was quiet in the first half but when him and Reid linked up for scores in the second they were unstoppable, theyre the best in the business for creating chances from passing play. Buckley was unreal again too. I thought Walter did savage work in the first half, got in an argument with a lad at half time who said he'd done nothing, but he worked like a dog to contain the midfield area. Still a bit in and out of games. Aylward still has work to do but he set up the goal (thought he should have gone himself actually) and got a few scores.

All in all, good win, nothing to start assuming we're world beaters. Hope tipp hammer waterford, we need to be under the radar in the semi and (god willing) the final, because this championship has been awful and its making us look better than we are.

Why you want Tipp to hammer Waterford?
    Don't want to meet them on the way to the final is it? Keep them opposite sides of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

STIG83 wrote: »
    Why you want Tipp to hammer Waterford?
    Don't want to meet them on the way to the final is it? Keep them opposite sides of it?

Yes, in the first place I want to avoid them, if at all possible, until September. And second if we're meeting them in a final, or any other round, I'd like us to do it with them coming in with as high expectations as humanly possible. The more hyped up they are the better chance of a win I think we have. I don't read much into the psychology of these things, but it's not meaningless either.

Edit: none of that should be read to mean I'm looking past anyone else in the draw, but in a very bad championship so far, tipp and to a lesser extent us are the only ones so far to show any real promise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Yes, in the first place I want to avoid them, if at all possible, until September. And second if we're meeting them in a final, or any other round, I'd like us to do it with them coming in with as high expectations as humanly possible. The more hyped up they are the better chance of a win I think we have. I don't read much into the psychology of these things, but it's not meaningless either.

Edit: none of that should be read to mean I'm looking past anyone else in the draw, but in a very bad championship so far, tipp and to a lesser extent us are the only ones so far to show any real promise.

Talk about putting eggs in one basket,
    What about Waterford and the teams left in the qualifiers? Not worried about them?
    Clare especially, once they sort out disipline, they could have say where Liam goes.

Tipp you seem to fear and if KK do win the AI you will more than likely have to meet Tipp on the way.
    Next Sunday will tell a lot on who wins. Waterford win, they in the other semi, if they lose they in the quarter final and if we advance to semi we play KK.
    It's so predictable.
    Tipp win next Sunday they will take stopping tbh as they chomping at the bit after going so close last year.
    If Bubbles free had gone over......

They want another crack at the Cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Not to state the glaringly obvious but the simple difference yesterday was the first touch and sliotar control of the Kilkenny players. It was mostly spot on, as it needs to be at Inter County level. Galway looked a bit cumbersome in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Not to state the glaringly obvious but the simple difference yesterday was the first touch and sliotar control of the Kilkenny players. It was mostly spot on, as it needs to be at Inter County level. Galway looked a bit cumbersome in comparison.

And against Dublin, Galway's touch was almost impeccable and Dublin's looked laboured in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Not sure what Clare have been done to be ranked ahead of Kilkenny. An All-Ireland a couple years ago alright but I'm not sure they have won a match of significance since. Will be dangerous in the qualifiers alright but no way they can be logically ranked ahead of Kilkenny.

Yep. Kills me to say it but kk are some distance ahead of tipp. Who're a bit ahead of the rest. Kk have no weak links, bar maybe power yesterday. That aylward lad is some find. Low centre of gravity like tipps eoin Kelly.

While the general thread re tipp is how good they were against Limerick, when Gleason pucked long to our half forwards we were cleaned out up there. Stop the short puck out and you're a fair way to beating tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

BarryD wrote: »
    Crowd seems to have been on the smaller side - was the result too predictable? Kilkenny only a couple of games from yet another AI title..

33K..probably more than I expected tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

33K..probably more than I expected tbh.

Yeah, it was more than I expected as well.
    It was the third highest attendance for the Leinster final since 2007 (Dublin were in the '11 and '13 finals)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

I really think some people are a bit biased here.

'Kilkenny well ahead of Tipp'. No they're not. Better maybe, but not 'well ahead'. In case people have forgot, Tipp were literally inches away from beating Kilkenny last year. There is very little between the sides. 'Well ahead' would imply that if Kilkenny met Tipp 10 times, they'd beat them comfortably 10 times. Not in my opinion.

Also, people are far too quick to write off Waterford here. Sunday will explain a lot more to us about where they're at, but they've looked like a really tough side to play. How anyone can write them off based on what we've seen so far is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

andyman wrote: »

'Kilkenny well ahead of Tipp'. No they're not. Better maybe, but not 'well ahead'. In case people have forgot, Tipp were literally inches away from beating Kilkenny last year. There is very little between the sides. 'Well ahead' would imply that if Kilkenny met Tipp 10 times, they'd beat them comfortably 10 times. Not in my opinion.

Also, people are far too quick to write off Waterford here. Sunday will explain a lot more to us about where they're at, but they've looked like a really tough side to play. How anyone can write them off based on what we've seen so far is beyond me.

I don't think any Kilkenny fans have said this, I think it's a case of reverse psychology bias biggrin.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tipp looked good against Limerick but 2 things I'd mention,

1. Tipp had the game won by half time, but then went completely to sleep and Limerick right back into the game and had to go and win it all over again, which they duly did.
    2. Limerick may not be the team they were the last few years. They lost badly to Tipp as we saw and then yesterday they seemed to struggle a bit with Westmeath. I didn't see the game myself but it seems like Westmeath gave a pretty good account of themselves.

In essence I wouldn't read too much into Tipps win over Limerick. As mentioned above we will know a lot more about where both teams are after next Sunday. I'd expect a Tipp win by 5 or 6 points. Waterford are too good to get blown out of the water, but I don't think are yet good enough to turn over Tipperary in a Munster final. Should be interesting anyway.

Also a lot of talk of how many games Kilkenny need to win to win the All Ireland. Kind of similar to Tipps route in many ways you'd have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

What about if they met them sixteen times, and only won...thirteen ? :D

Your metrics and logic are faulty, I think.

Still, as you say, there is indeed very little between the sides, as has been the case since 2009 to go back no further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I presume that post is directed at me!
    Well, where am I wrong? Look at the recent history between the sides.
    09, both teams were close but kk edged it
    10, both teams were close but lars goals were the difference
    11, kk always looked like winning. Pa bourks flukey goal kept score respectable
    12, less said the better
    13, kk won in Nolan park during a 'trough' year
    14, tipp were fantastic but still couldn't win. Thought kk always looked like winners in the replay.

We hockeyd kk in the last league game when they were missing most of the team. The previous league games were all kk wins!

Do you honestly think tipp would stuff Galway by 10 points?

Finally, where's the weak link on the kk side? I don't get the criticism of Holden, Murphy is one of the most underrated backs in the country, half back line is savage, midfield with mick fennelly. As regards the forwards, Reid and hogan are on another planet. I thought Larkin was past his best but stood up last day. Aylward has huge potential, Colin f has always delivered against tipp and worked hard last day despite not having a great game. How many tipp lads would you pick if you were picking the best of both. I'd count them on one hand! Out forwards still can't win their own ball.....

Tipp were super in the first all Ireland last year, yet couldn't get the better of kk. Kk changed tack for the replay and IMHO always looked safe. Tipp didn't change anything and their naivety cost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I mentioned it in another thread about 'it's Kilkenny's All-Ireland to lose'. I disagree with this statement. KK could play very well against Tipp, but Tipp have a capacity to play better on a particular day and beat us. There is not a whole lot between the two sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭blackcard

digzy wrote: »
    I presume that post is directed at me!
    Well, where am I wrong? Look at the recent history between the sides.
    09, both teams were close but kk edged it
    10, both teams were close but lars goals were the difference
    11, kk always looked like winning. Pa bourks flukey goal kept score respectable
    12, less said the better
    13, kk won in Nolan park during a 'trough' year
    14, tipp were fantastic but still couldn't win. Thought kk always looked like winners in the replay.

We hockeyd kk in the last league game when they were missing most of the team. The previous league games were all kk wins!

Do you honestly think tipp would stuff Galway by 10 points?

Finally, where's the weak link on the kk side? I don't get the criticism of Holden, Murphy is one of the most underrated backs in the country, half back line is savage, midfield with mick fennelly. As regards the forwards, Reid and hogan are on another planet. I thought Larkin was past his best but stood up last day. Aylward has huge potential, Colin f has always delivered against tipp and worked hard last day despite not having a great game. How many tipp lads would you pick if you were picking the best of both. I'd count them on one hand! Out forwards still can't win their own ball.....

Tipp were super in the first all Ireland last year, yet couldn't get the better of kk. Kk changed tack for the replay and IMHO always looked safe. Tipp didn't change anything and their naivety cost them.

Yerra, hardly any point in turning up. Or you could look at it another way. 2009, controversial penalty, missed goal chances and a man sent off. 2010, beat KK out the gate, 2011,Tipp had a late chance to equalise, 2012 bad second half, 2013 JJ got in the way of a goal bound shot from Eoin Kelly. 2014 Tipp took one out of 7 goal chances the first day, KK 3 out of 5, Tipp inches from victory. Anyway, 2009 or 2010 has little to do with this year, gone for KK are Ryan, Kavanagh, Hickey, Tommy,Brian Hogan Tennyson, JJ, Lyng, Cha, Shefflin, Brennan, Fogarty, Comerford. Power injured. Rice too old, Fennelly injury prone, bench is poor.
    Anyway, both teams will be more concerned about their next opponents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

blackcard wrote: »
    Yerra, hardly any point in turning up. Or you could look at it another way. 2009, controversial penalty, missed goal chances and a man sent off. 2010, beat KK out the gate, 2011,Tipp had a late chance to equalise, 2012 bad second half, 2013 JJ got in the way of a goal bound shot from Eoin Kelly. 2014 Tipp took one out of 7 goal chances the first day, KK 3 out of 5, Tipp inches from victory. Anyway, 2009 or 2010 has little to do with this year, gone for KK are Ryan, Kavanagh, Hickey, Tommy,Brian Hogan Tennyson, JJ, Lyng, Cha, Shefflin, Brennan, Fogarty, Comerford. Power injured. Rice too old, Fennelly injury prone, bench is poor.
    Anyway, both teams will be more concerned about their next opponents

Bit of an understatement there I think.

Advertisement