Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rip off republic - is it back?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Phoebas wrote: »
    They'll all be promoted to vomit and piss cleaners! :eek:

When driverless taxis come in there will be no need for individual owners of the cars, so it probably will all be owned and operated by the likes of Google and Apple, with the work of cleaning and maintenance being outsourced.

Yeah right.
    What becomes of the driverless taxi when your friendly punter decides to wreck it after a couple of Sherry's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

kneemos wrote: »
    Yeah right.
    What becomes of the driverless taxi when your friendly punter decides to wreck it after a couple of Sherry's?

Robocop will sort them out!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Phoebas wrote: »
    They'll all be promoted to vomit and piss cleaners! :eek:

When driverless taxis come in there will be no need for individual owners of the cars, so it probably will all be owned and operated by the likes of Google and Apple, with the work of cleaning and maintenance being outsourced.

They already vomit and piss cleaners, personal shoppers, nannies, psychologists, mechanics, guardians of the road. The car might be driving itself, but it won't be in the employ of Google or Apple. It will either be in the hands of a current big player, who already outsource labour, a small firm or an individual. Same as ever it was. Middlemen come and go, doesn't matter how big they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

kneemos wrote: »
    Yeah right.

Probably the same that currently happens on the driverless trains that are already in service.

It'll probably be even more simple on driverless taxis. They can just drive themselves to a maintenance centre for cleaning, and since no driver pretty much necessitates no cash, the punter can simply be electronically charged for the cleaning fee.

I'm not an expert, but this probably won't be the most difficult hurdle to overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Rip off Republic back in full swing lads. A 15 minute taxi this morning cost me 30 euro. From red cow Luas to bewley's leopards town.

Pretty disgusted I must say. I travelled on a 2 hour bus that cost me a tenner this morning to the red cow before having my pockets emptied by the thieves with the taxi plates.

17.5km at 7:18am according to your receipt.

Taxis don't get to set their own fares - the fares are set by the National Transport Authority https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/operating-an-spsv/taxi-fares/

It was before 8AM, so the Premium rate applies, and it's €24.40 for the first 15KM, and 3x€1.75 for the remainder, which brings it up to to €29.65.

You're right - you were ripped off for 15c!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

The sooner driverless cars come the better. Taxis are a necessity at times but also a total rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Enjoy Heroin Responsibly

rip off republic - is it back? ?

Back ? I wasn't aware it had gone :confused:
    Taxi's in this country are expensive alright. It won't last long though, autonomous cars will decimate the taxi industry in the next 5 years.

Every major car company, along with Google and Apple are even working on this technology, so it's only a matter of time.

Ive heard all sorts of rosy projections how this is going to replace not just taxi's but private car ownership in general

Im a tad sceptical I mean what's to stop people leaving the inside of the vehicle in an absolute state ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Taxis are right rip off.

A few years ago I got a taxi from liffey valley shopping centre to dun laoghaire that cost me 40 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

Recessions come and recessions go, but the rip off Republic will always be with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭kirving

the_monkey wrote: »
    Will take a lot lot longer then 5 years, try 50 ...

You can buy a car today(Mercedesc, BMW, Lexis, etc) in Ireland that will follow the car in front via radar, automatically stay in lane, park itself, read road signs, obey speed limits, automatically accelerate and brake in traffic, and a whole lot more. Tesla are due to release a software update in October which will give full autonomous driving. Far closer than most people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

You can buy a car today(Mercedesc, BMW, Lexis, etc) in Ireland that will follow the car in front via radar, automatically stay in lane, park itself, read road signs, obey speed limits, automatically accelerate and brake in traffic, and a whole lot more. Tesla are due to release a software update in October which will give full autonomous driving. Far closer than most people think.

We have aircraft that can fly themselves but you would still want a pilot up front right?

Most of the above in cars is "assist".. Ie it only helps the driver.

Does not do 100% of the job for the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

€30 for the OP's trip sounds cheap..

Costs me €10 from Rathgar to the Aviva stadium when the 18 bus fails to show..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭kirving

dubscottie wrote: »
    We have aircraft that can fly themselves but you would still want a pilot up front right?

Most of the above in cars is "assist".. Ie it only helps the driver.

Does not do 100% of the job for the driver.

'Assist' is really down to the legal classification of such features. The car manufacturers don't want to be legally responsible for auto-braking and pedestrian detection just yet, but the technology is perfectly capable of driving the car safely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If rip off Ireland is back it's because Irish people welcomed it back with open arms.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Public_Enema

Did it ever leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

That's an interesting idea for an App - a Taxi meter app that you would start when you got into the taxi, and it would use the phone GPS to calculate the distance travelled, and the NTA Rules to calculate the fare. You could use it before you even got in the taxi to estimate how much to expect to pay.

I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I'm sceptical.

Relatives of mine were in Dingle when the dustbin lorry had a brake failure. Thankfully no one was hurt then - but in the event of some unforeseen malfunction who do we programme the computer to colide with?

~ the party of schoolkids
    ~ the young mother pushing a pram
    ~ the ambulance coming the other way
    ~ the OAP just minding their own business

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I bet you gave €30 and waited for the 20c change

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Rip off Republic back in full swing lads. A 15 minute taxi this morning cost me 30 euro. From red cow Luas to bewley's leopards town.
    It was a 17.5km trip, why did you list the time instead of this? the time should be secondary. Would you have felt it was better value if he slowed down and took 45mins?

You were paying to get from A to B, for most people they want it in as fast a time as possible. I wonder did people moan about concorde when it was going, I got to new york in half the usual time but they charged even more.
    go on the m50?
    Taxi drivers also try and use the M50 when I want to go to the airport, it actually usually would take longer too. But looking at his trip I cannot see an obviously much shorter route.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Clayton+Hotel+Leopardstown+(formerly+Bewleys+Hotel+Leopardstown),+Central+Park,+Dublin+18/Red+Cow+LUAS/@53.3056263,-6.3611253,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x486709a83467dffb:0x35558b651993c141!2m2!1d-6.206105!2d53.271437!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670cad3f079a8b:0x55467182dd2042ed!2m2!1d-6.372601!2d53.31638

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm sceptical.

Relatives of mine were in Dingle when the dustbin lorry had a brake failure. Thankfully no one was hurt then - but in the event of some unforeseen malfunction who do we programme the computer to colide with?

~ the party of schoolkids
    ~ the young mother pushing a pram
    ~ the ambulance coming the other way
    ~ the OAP just minding their own business
    I don't know why we assume people would be any better at this than a computer. It's not like humans have a reputation of acting rationally in a emergency situation. We'd panic and probably take out two or more of the groups.

First of all brake failure is less likely on AI cars as they'd be monitoring their own consumables. As they'd likely be part of a fleet there would be regular servicing as standard, in the event of brake failure the AI would fall back onto the safest way of stopping the car as quickly as possible (probably signalling all the other cars and possibly traffic lights around it that it was going to attempt an emergency stop). There are ways of bringing a combustion engine to a stop without brakes, if it's an electric car it's even easier to stop without brakes. I don't think the car would even bother with trying to decide who around it least deserves to die, it will just try and stop as quickly as possible. Trying to direct the car could cause more problems so it's pointless.

On getting sick or damaging the cars, they could very well work on a monthly fee basis (for best rates), they'll be covered in cameras and might require a credit/debit card if your not registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Taxi's in this country are expensive alright. It won't last long though, autonomous cars will decimate the taxi industry in the next 5 years.

Every major car company, along with Google and Apple are even working on this technology, so it's only a matter of time.

Wonder how they'll deal with no pays. Running them over or locking their doors and setting themselves on fire would be cool.

Seriously though your belief that automated taxis will be cheaper is touching and probably almost certainly wrong, it being Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Is it back? Sure it never went away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I wouldn't say there's much ripping off going on in games of Bingo compared to the Celtic Tiger days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

anncoates wrote: »
    Wonder how they'll deal with no pays. Running them over or locking their doors and setting themselves on fire would be cool.

Seriously though your belief that automated taxis will be cheaper is touching and probably almost certainly wrong, it being Ireland.
    Of course they'd be cheaper, they wouldn't be bothering with the systems if they didn't believe they'd be cheaper.

The biggest cost to just about any company is labour. Robots remove all the costs associated with hiring humans like maximum hours, safety regulations, insurance, strikes, holiday pay, maternity pay, training.. The list of costs associated with people goes on and on.

Robots have their own costs which might seem high because it's expensive initially, but the day to day costs of running a robot are tiny compared to hiring a human. Even if you have to pay a fancy engineer a thousand Euros to spend a day fixing it, that's still not much more than a weeks wages for a human and it's a cost that usually only comes up every other year if people don't keep up with maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Did it ever go away? This country has and always will be expensive because we have a small population and are an island Country. Things like transport,electricity,internet are going to be expensive compared to say a country like France,Spain,America, or even the U.K because they have a bigger population so have a bigger market and can sell cheaper. Also because we are an island country we import all our oil and don,t hedge any like say big airlines do when its cheap so we are always dependent on the markets for oil. If there is not much demand and there is a huge oversupply of oil it will be cheaper(The way we all want it) but if there is demand and not enough oil then its going to be more expensive also conflicts like in Iraq and Lipya and other parts of the world can effect prices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,169 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

anncoates wrote: »

Think of it like this, the hardware is the cheapest pat. That's because if it was too expensive a taxi driver couldn't afford it. A full-time taxi driver earns enough to pay for the car and himself over a few years.

I'd imagine that to use one you would swipe a credit card when you get in and would be charged when you reach your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ScumLord wrote: »
    Of course they'd be cheaper, they wouldn't be bothering with the systems if they didn't believe they'd be cheaper.

The biggest cost to just about any company is labour. Robots remove all the costs associated with hiring humans like maximum hours, safety regulations, insurance, strikes, holiday pay, maternity pay, training.. The list of costs associated with people goes on and on.

Robots have their own costs which might seem high because it's expensive initially, but the day to day costs of running a robot are tiny compared to hiring a human. Even if you have to pay a fancy engineer a thousand Euros to spend a day fixing it, that's still not much more than a weeks wages for a human and it's a cost that usually only comes up every other year if people don't keep up with maintenance.

A thousand euros for a weeks wages wish I could get that. Don,t know what planet you are living on but if that is the wages for a week it must be a good one. Can,t say I know many people getting that kind of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

ScumLord wrote: »

If the state or a private business in this country actually load the savings if any from automated taxis back into cheaper fares, I'd be amazed.

I suppose we'll wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

AMKC wrote: »
    A thousand euros for a weeks wages wish I could get that. Don,t know what planet you are living on but if that is the wages for a week it must be a good one. Can,t say I know many people getting that kind of money.

If you read his post you'll realise he is taking about the cost to the employer, not what gets filtered down to the employees take home pay.

An employer paying someone 47k per annum costs them 1 thousand per week (when you add employers PRSI). It's hardly a fat cats salary.

Advertisement