Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rip off republic - is it back?

Options
  • 20-06-2015 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Rip off Republic back in full swing lads. A 15 minute taxi this morning cost me 30 euro. From red cow Luas to bewley's leopards town.

Pretty disgusted I must say. I travelled on a 2 hour bus that cost me a tenner this morning to the red cow before having my pockets emptied by the thieves with the taxi plates.

Anyone else had any recent rip offs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Did you leave a tip?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

You should have refused to pay any more than what was displayed on the meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

That's not a rip off. You were charged the metered fare as prescribed by the NTA. Unless you were kidnapped and forced at gunpoint to take the taxi you'll have to find something else to gurn about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Rip off Republic back in full swing lads. A 15 minute taxi this morning cost me 30 euro. From red cow Luas to bewley's leopards town.

Pretty disgusted I must say. I travelled on a 2 hour bus that cost me a tenner this morning to the red cow before having my pockets emptied by the thieves with the taxi plates.
    A bus is designed to be a cheap method of transport, your sharing the cost with dozens of other people. A Taxi is a private way of traveling and it's always, always going to cost considerably more. You have a choice, pay for privacy, or use the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭kirving

Taxi's in this country are expensive alright. It won't last long though, autonomous cars will decimate the taxi industry in the next 5 years.

Every major car company, along with Google and Apple are even working on this technology, so it's only a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ansum

I travelled for 1 hour from Dublin15 into town with a taxi service on June 3rd this year and they took a whopping 38 euros off me. I swore that I won't take a taxi or if that's not possible, use that taxi service again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I got a taxi from Glasgow centre to Glasgow airport, it cost £25 which was the best deal I saw on any of the Taxis. 20 minute journey. So €38 for an hours journey isn't to bad.

Taxi fares are no more expensive than 10 years ago so to answer your question, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Ansum wrote: »
    I travelled for 1 hour from Dublin15 into town with a taxi service on June 3rd this year and they took a whopping 38 euros off me. I swore that I won't take a taxi or if that's not possible, use that taxi service again.

That's your choice but what sort of hourly rate do you think is reasonable for the driver?

€20?

Bearing in mind that he was probably off hire before picking you up and directly after?

€20 - €25 - Labour
    Fuel
    Maintenance to vehicle
    Depreciation to vehicle

Doesn't strike me as a gravy train.

Taxi's in this country are expensive alright. It won't last long though, autonomous cars will decimate the taxi industry in the next 5 years.

Every major car company, along with Google and Apple are even working on this technology, so it's only a matter of time.
    It'll probably take longer than 5 years, but the writing is on the wall for taxi drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Phoebas wrote: »
    It'll probably take longer than 5 years, but the writing is on the wall for taxi drivers.

Lovely Jubley!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

And most other public transport. Why get a bus or train which usually involves walking at either end when a car will bring you door to door, without having to deal with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

While I won't disagree taxi's are expensive but the fare you paid is set and metered by the National Transport Authority.

I take it you came from Limerick (two hour journey to the Red Cow & the tenner fare), well without a doubt the green coach from Limerick is dirt cheap, but you'd pay the same taxi fare across the whole country.

Its unfair to call the taxi driver a thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

go on the m50?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Could have got the luas into town and a bus/luas to leapordstown. Would have saved over 20 quid.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭mvt

Told you you should have taken a bicycle:D

Not a rip off really it was nearly 18k.

Guessing it was a job interview or SP so maybe you will feel better about it latter

• Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A 15 min trip booting along the M50.

If you channel your anger and disgust and funell it into research and some cop on in future, you'll be flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Del2005 wrote: »
    And most other public transport. Why get a bus or train which usually involves walking at either end when a car will bring you door to door, without having to deal with others.

Exept for the taxi driver. If s/he is a quiet one that is great, all I ever want, but if they are of the ranting/talking incessantly variety, no fare would compensate really.

Exept for the taxi driver. If s/he is a quiet one that is great, all I ever want, but if they are of the ranting/talking incessantly variety, no fare would compensate really.

Driverless taxis won't have taxi drivers.

You say Rip Off Ireland is back, which seems to oddly suggest that it ever left in the first place.

But in this case, you weren't ripped off. You were charged with the usual amount. Your receipt, which you displayed, detailed as such.

• Advertisement

Sure then I could take me own driverless car out if I have a few bevvies on board too surely. Sorted. No More Taxis. All good.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/17/driverless-cars-are-already-here/#.j4ki4h:9u0E

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Did you mention the weather and ask the driver if he's been busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

You say Rip Off Ireland is back, which seems to oddly suggest that it ever left in the first place.

But in this case, you weren't ripped off. You were charged with the usual amount. Your receipt, which you displayed, detailed as such.

First paragraph, I was thinking the same thing myself, As regards the other I don't know if it is a rip off as I don't live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Who'll own the driverless taxi,and how much will they want for a fare?

kneemos wrote: »
    Who'll own the driverless taxi,and how much will they want for a fare?

This is getting very interesting, for the future of taxis I mean.

I can't wait. And there will be no driver talk either. Bring it on please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

This is getting very interesting, for the future of taxis I mean.

I can't wait. And there will be no driver talk either. Bring it on please.

I wouldnt be so sure

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXK5-w9by07-Npr8_8fnJfi3jdyXk3T9uJApsTET3gfPSM3AKRJ1wXqig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

They'll have taxi owners. Unless Google and Apple want to clean up the vomit and the pish and fix the puncture at 3am on a dark wet windy November morning in the middle of nowhere themselves. Taxi drivers ain't going nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Will take a lot lot longer then 5 years, try 50 ...

They'll have taxi owners. Unless Google and Apple want to clean up the vomit and the pish and fix the puncture at 3am on a dark wet windy November morning in the middle of nowhere themselves. Taxi drivers ain't going nowhere.

They'll all be promoted to vomit and piss cleaners! :eek:

When driverless taxis come in there will be no need for individual owners of the cars, so it probably will all be owned and operated by the likes of Google and Apple, with the work of cleaning and maintenance being outsourced.

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    Will take a lot lot longer then 5 years, try 50 ...

The technology is pretty much there already, but it'll take a while before the legal / regulatory stuff is in place.
    Probably a bit more than 5 years before we get it, but I doubt the huge corporations who have been investing billions into this will be willing to wait 50 years.

Advertisement