Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I love the stewing beef from Aldi's, after three or four hours on a low heat its lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭bassy

hey guys sorry if i,ve posted in the wrong thread,but there,s a airfryer coming in to aldi next week and its 2.2 litre i wonder would this be big enough for 2 adults for meals?.
    i,ve never had a airfryer so might chance this one if it would be big enough for 2 adults,think its 50 odd euros.

then i can really test them aldi skin on fries :)

any opinions very welcome :) cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

bassy wrote: »
    hey guys sorry if i,ve posted in the wrong thread,but there,s a airfryer coming in to aldi next week and its 2.2 litre i wonder would this be big enough for 2 adults for meals?.
    i,ve never had a airfryer so might chance this one if it would be big enough for 2 adults,think its 50 odd euros.

then i can really test them aldi skin on fries :)

any opinions very welcome :) cheers.

That seems quite small. We got a 4.5litre one on Amazon for around 50/60 eur. If it’s literally just for chips it might be ok, but I find if I fill mine it doesn’t cook so well so I’d think you’d be better with a bigger one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭bassy

sillysocks wrote: »
    That seems quite small. We got a 4.5litre one on Amazon for around 50/60 eur. If it’s literally just for chips it might be ok, but I find if I fill mine it doesn’t cook so well so I’d think you’d be better with a bigger one.

ah pity,thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I got these - they're unreal, thanks for the recommendation.

However, I do agree - flavour overload would be putting it mildly. You really need to pace yourself with these as the vinegar flavouring in particular packs a punch :D

I think these are gorgeous, but I don't find the vinegar particularly strong.

They're not a patch on the old style Banshee bones, chipstix or s & v Disco that would strip the lining of your mouth and burn your lips.

I can confirm they're lovely with cold beer though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭anewme

They're not a patch on the old style Banshee bones, chipstix or s & v Disco that would strip the lining of your mouth and burn your lips.

I went to 2 Aldis yesterday to get these as there were none in the first one

I couldn't wait and opened the bag in the car and scoffed half it.

They were nice but as you say compared to discos or good old mini chips they were not that strong.

Still very nice though and will get more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The pouches of ready cooked Whole Chestnuts are back in the Middle Aisle. Very handy to tart up salads, soups, Brussel sprouts, stews and so on.
    Stocked up yesterday for the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I love the stewing beef from Aldi's, after three or four hours on a low heat its lovely!

Some people don't like connective tissue on their stewing meat. When cooked right, I love it, too. Some people like to have a stew cooked in under 2 hours with only lean meat. That's not the kind of stew I like.

Can't comment on the Aldi stewing beef but I reckon I'd like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The pouches of ready cooked Whole Chestnuts are back in the Middle Aisle. Very handy to tart up salads, soups, Brussel sprouts, stews and so on.
    Stocked up yesterday for the Christmas period.

**Must resist the urge to post an "Aldis range of sanitary products would probably work better type gag here** :D

McMurphy wrote: »
    **Must resist the urge to post an "Aldis range of sanitary products would probably work better type gag here** :D

That made me choke on my tea. ,•́ ‿ ,•̀
    Should have expressed myself more carefully!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Discos had the ultimate S&V flavouring. One pack and you'd lose the lining off the corners of your mouth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Chicken sausages are nice.

Discos had the ultimate S&V flavouring. One pack and you'd lose the lining off the corners of your mouth :D

It was an endurance test to finish the packet! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Can’t remember if I’ve posted this before but the Newgrange soups are really good. Have had both the veg and chicken & veg and would definitely recommend them. Very handy for a quick lunch with the kids. And one tub would easily feed the 4 of us. Low in calories too.

They’re in the fridge section near the fresh pasta and smaller tubs of fresh soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It was an endurance test to finish the packet! :p

I must have an asbestos mouth. Absolutely loved salt & vinegar Discos and would easily have eaten two or three bags back in the day when I used to snack.

Someone brought "novelty" super sour sweets into my last job, they were supposed to be a practical joke that people would have to spit out after a minute or so. I ate about ten of them.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I must have an asbestos mouth. Absolutely loved salt & vinegar Discos and would easily have eaten two or three bags back in the day when I used to snack.

Someone brought "novelty" super sour sweets into my last job, they were supposed to be a practical joke that people would have to spit out after a minute or so. I ate about ten of them.
    I loved them too and was really joking about the endurance test.

Super sour sweets are a definite no from me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭caviardreams

sillysocks wrote: »
    Can’t remember if I’ve posted this before but the Newgrange soups are really good. Have had both the veg and chicken & veg and would definitely recommend them. Very handy for a quick lunch with the kids. And one tub would easily feed the 4 of us. Low in calories too.

They’re in the fridge section near the fresh pasta and smaller tubs of fresh soup.

Nicer than Cully & Sully chicken & veg? (The GOAT of shop soups imo!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had the salt and vineager crisps and jaysis they are flavour overload. Has anyone tried the cheese and onion ones, might try them next.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Nicer than Cully & Sully chicken & veg? (The GOAT of shop soups imo!)

Aldi’s version of chick and veg soup is excellent

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

vicwatson wrote: »
    Aldi’s version of chick and veg soup is excellent

Their mushroom soup is lovely too.

I did not like the coconut prawn one though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's a pity they don't sell fresh salsa though.
    Lidl used to do it, but I haven't seen any recently, and Tesco is all out.

I have tried to make my own salsa, but it just is not good.

Any ideas on how to recreate fresh tomato salsa?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭54and56

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's a pity they don't sell fresh salsa though.
    Lidl used to do it, but I haven't seen any recently, and Tesco is all out.

I have tried to make my own salsa, but it just is not good.

Any ideas on how to recreate fresh tomato salsa?

Here's my standard recipe which takes 3-4 minutes to make

- 8 loosely chopped vine ripened plum/big tomatoes.
    - Juice of 3 limes.
    - One large or two very small birds eye chillies finely chopped. (Warning - I like spicy salsa!!)
    - 3 cloves of garlic chopped
    - One large or two shall red onion roughly chopped
    - A good pinch of sea salt
    - 1 heaped teaspoon of sugar
    - 1 good handful of coriander including the stalks. (I like lot's of coriander)

Mix all of the ingredients together in a blender until a smooth consistency.

Let stand for an hour in a fridge before eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The date on the Atlantic wheaten bread is a lot of the time really short, the last two times I went to buy it, the best before date was the next date so no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Another recommendation for a delicious spicy food: Ardagh Additions Spicy cheddar. It comes in a 150g five slice pack.

The cheddar is firm and creamy with finely chopped pepper and chili pieces throughout. There's a nice balance between creamy and spicy. It's great for enlivening a cheese toastie or a ham and cheese sandwich. The spice won't blow your head off and it's much nicer than the blocks of spicy cheddar that Lidl does.

Sometimes I'll use it in a sandwich with some of the Heinz Turkish garlic sauce instead of mayo and whatever lettuce and tomato I have, really tasty.

The cheese is made by Bandon Vale cheese according to the producer code on the packet.

Love the Aldi little pots of melting cheese in the earthenware pots. Theres kentish cider or chorizo.

Nice snack for over Christmas.

3.99 but those little pots come in handy.

Not sure if it's been posted before, just trying to distract from the 'c' word.

anewme wrote: »
    Love the Aldi little pots of melting cheese in the earthenware pots. Theres kentish cider or chorizo.

Nice snack for over Christmas.

3.99 but those little pots come in handy.

Not sure if it's been posted before, just trying to distract from the 'c' word.

Thank you! Hadn't seen that they are back. They are indeed lovely, I have several of the pots and make Crème brûlée in them. Others serve as saucers under herb pots.

Others serve as saucers under herb pots.

Exactly what mine are used for!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Others serve as saucers under herb pots.

Omg I have some lurking in a press and never thought of that!

*Runs to press :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: I thought about deleting all the coriander bickering (there was a lot of corianger :pac: :pac: ) but I've moved them to the general chat thread instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Had a craving for something salty yesterday while shopping in Aldi and picked up a multipack of their salted, cinema style popcorn. Very impressed :)

Advertisement